I feel like i want a fanmade pokemon game set in the 1930's

aGoodCabinet2

• Administrators

this would be conceptually difficult for a lot of reasons, such as how pokemon only seem to be discovered or researched much in the modern era, and how to work around new technology like pokecenters not necessarily existing. also we know from the 4th movie that pokeballs even 40 years ago were fundamentally different so there are many problems to sovle-- in addition to the graphical burden of making period-appropriate resources 

but i'd be so for it. someone please hit me up with that electro swing OST. i'm counting on more games using that style. thanks bye

The problem with how pokémon were only recently discovered and researched could be circumvented by setting the game in a region/'world' that is isolated from the traditional pokéworld, therefore has its own History with pokémon and its own level of technological advancement. That could also justify having a 30's-like setting... without actually being in the 30's.

These fruit-ball-thingies from gen 2 could be used instead of the usual Pokéballs, and a night at the hotel could restore your team to full health (not any more far-fetched than a flippin' water bottle healing 50hp :P )

I think the real burden here would be creating graphical resources from scratch... the rest can be circumvented with a bit of smart/creative world-building.

In my opinion the whole "research doesn't exist yet" idea sounds great. You could implement drastically different mechanics and maybe let the plot resolve around you being one of the first explorers collecting data on pokémon. Maybe pokémon "join" you rather than that you capture them or some primitive form of pokéballs are around (maybe steampunk style). I don't know what an evil team would be or how you would collect badges/some sort of "boss fights" which give you a goal to achieve. But there is a lot of potential and the art style of the 30's (or 20's, I like them more) is majestic and beautiful.

Someone, please make this happen!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I believe there is a fan game or ROM hack that takes place in a time before almost any advances in tech for the Pokemon world existed. Using that as a frame conceptually making a game in slightly more advanced but not fully developed era isn't hard assuming you have the creativity for it. As mentioned above the problem lies in making all the tiles and art for such a time period. 

Idea sounds awesome.

Pokedex could be replaced with a pokenote (a notebook) or something and modern urban pokemon such as Magnemite and Voltorb line wouldn't exist yet, Koffing and Grimer could easily exist already though.

Edited by Noctelis