Level Cap Workaround?

Littlep12

Update: First thank you everyone who replied to me i really valued reading your comments and opinions i learnt alot of new things so thank you very much. I certainly didn't mean to offend the developers i think as mentioned multiple times the game is well developed and is actually better then many of the original Pokemon games.  I was very happy to read that i was not the only one experiencing this problem anyway I just got my third badge. I'll keep powering through ;) Thanks again.is

Yes i know here we go again. Another person complaining about the level cap.

First this is by far one of the best Pokemon games i have ever played at least in terms of story and some of the mechanics however the level system is a huge let down and is essentially this games only major flaw. I have read the posts of others whenever they bring up the level cap the community here is quick to shoot them down.  To be short you only appreciate the other Pokemon games more when you are constantly stuffing common candies or rolling your eyes as the Pokemon in the wild are the same level as your top level Pokemon who you can't level. Who as a Pokemon trainer... you can't train!

Please read this and help me

So I might post a bigger rant below but i want some help please.  Is there a way to just ignore the level cap altogether ? Is there a cheat engine or something i can use. This is the first time i have needed to cheat when playing a game however I think id rather just enjoy the game storyline and battles as my own pace rather then a pace dictated by the developers which i disagree with. 

Ignore the rant below and just help with the question above please unless you want a debate

Everything below is just me ranting

Mini Rant

I think the game is challenging enough as it is it doesn't need what is to be blunt a very poorly designed and paced level cap.

STOP OVERLEVELING the devs scream stop...god forbid training up your favorite Pokemon. I notice there are no 'pokemon trainer' npcs so far :). You don't like them do you?

I have never had to use potions so much in a pokemon game  or run back and forth to a Pokemon center my best Pokemon lay in my PC i am forced to use Pokemon i don't like just to enjoy the story of the game. I read something that really upset me a moderator here claiming that people should learn to enjoy all the Pokemon and their skills thats great! But not everyone is the same not everyone wants to use every single pokemon and some people hate the idea of being forced to do so (if it was your opinion great but you use that as an excuse to justify bad design) if i'm honest... I hate the majority of Pokemon i am being forced to use to be 'catching them all' was not the goal it was 'to be the very best'. Because there is nothing more painful then your Pokemon leveling mid fight and then suddenly ignoring you the *bond with those Pokemon that just doesn't exist here* For those of you quick to scream that i level too much or i need to just use common candies every few fights well I use super repel all the time. I almost dread travelling you don't need to grind as your Pokemon level very quickly in this game.

The fact is I shouldn't need to worry about level caps if the game is paced properly currently my only focus in this game is getting badges as quickly as i can so when another gym leader wants to investigate or save the world i roll my eyes i don't care about the plot at this point i care that i can't even play the game properly because your bitch ass won't give me a badge. Not training my Pokemon my pain is that i have to rush the story because if i take my time all my Pokemon will be useless.

I hate leveling down my Pokemon theirs something painful about being forced to erase the time i spent getting through your game.  

Mega rant

Takes away the pleasure of training up your Pokémon.

Takes away from what is a beautifully developed games because the truth is you shouldn't NEED common candies I don't go out of my way to level my Pokémon its the environment you created that's making my Pokémon go to higher levels.

It was something i noticed only briefly or very rarely in the main games as by the time you reached the levels required for the level cap you already had a badge i almost never noticed it because the games are paced well.

It does create a new dynamic where you use lots of different but useless Pokémon. At the end of the day you'll go back to your favorite Pokemon if that's the type of trainer you are.

This game forces you to play in a certain way and while some might enjoy it i do not. Don't get me wrong i love the game i just don't enjoy this element of the game play I don't feel challenged more then just annoyed. It's like there are you happy i trained up a (who cares) to beat your gym leader and it took me an extra 30 mins. Or crap i lost against your gym leader what an amazingly challenging fight ... but look at this my Pokemon got stronger... too strong... not they wont listen to me and i need to level them down.

I enjoy loosing fights but only when i have been bested by my opponent. Not because my Pokémon level during a few battles and suddenly won't listen to me...just because. You know you enter the gym level 33 and by the final fight your level 36 and that's it time to eat some common candies.

I think there's a simple solution. The level cap should be optional or allow the users to stipulate what it is.   There's nothing more hilarious to the in game text saying 'be careful your pokemon might go above the level cap'.  Why don't just increase the level cap for each gym based on the natural growth rate of the average player?

Pokémon trainers as a Pokémon trainer the grind the leveling is the best bit and the most fun and i think you have taken that away from me. Which is a shame because i hate to admit it but this may be one of the best Pokémon games i have ever played. The issue with the level cap makes me appreciate the beauty of the standard pokemon games more. I never realised that your starter pokemon ignored the badge level cap because of its bond with you or that you could ignore leveling and grinding if you wanted more a challenge before playing this game.  No longer can you after finding a hard boss go to a forest level your Pokémon up and return for a battle. Instead you'll search far and wide for one Pokémon that you don't like ( I personally hate cute looking Pokémon so thats most of them for me) in fact i am so old school i hate most new gen pokemon.

finally :) I love the story and the plot so far the characters are beautifully developed.

Edited by Littlep12

Are you new to pokemon in general? Because after EV trainings I always see myself underleveled and still having an easy time with gym battles. Sometimes the cap between leaders and me are like 5 to 10, since I got the feeling that if my mons' lvls are higher then it would be too easy :/

Just now, Sceptilespy said:

@gkhmpg

I barely EV train my mons and I don't have too much trouble with leaders/bosses.

A good strategy will always let you come out on top. 

EV train is totally not enough too! I always had to read through the whole field notes and dex 3: EV and IV only plays a very small part tbh. Training levels in this game is also very easy +.+

9 minutes ago, gkhmpg said:

Are you new to pokemon in general? Because after EV trainings I always see myself underleveled and still having an easy time with gym battles. Sometimes the cap between leaders and me are like 5 to 10, since I got the feeling that if my mons' lvls are higher then it would be too easy :/

Yes I am a noob lol ... back in my dayyyyyy

We didn't need to worry about EVS i just walked around alot of beat people up... got beaten around a bit. Like i said im not finding the game hard in fact its nice and challenging it's just one feature of the game that i think could be improved. Look i'm not alone i have seen a few other posts but as i said whenever the bring it up it seems they are quickly slapped aside. My point is there are different styles of play and not one is better then another. Im not afraid to admit that im shit at pokemon.

3 minutes ago, Sceptilespy said:

Yup. In any case @Littlep12. There are many ways to "work around" the level cap. But I guess if you don't want the level cap all together. You could ask Ame for the PBS files and download RPG maker to change stuff. I just don't think that's necessary though. 

What are the many ways?

So far i just have common candy stuffing.

Just now, Littlep12 said:

Yes I am a noob lol ... back in my dayyyyyy

We didn't need to worry about EVS i just walked around alot of beat people up... got beaten around a bit. Like i said im not finding the game hard in fact its nice and challenging it's just one feature of the game that i think could be improved. Look i'm not alone i have seen a few other posts but as i said whenever the bring it up it seems they are quickly slapped aside. My point is there are different styles of play and not one is better then another. Im not afraid to admit that im shit at pokemon.

You'll definitely get comfortable with all of the game's feature, don't worry :D Just play around with the game just a bit more

I had a hard time with the level cap when I first started playing, but found that as the game progressed, the level cap became a little more "fair" the further you went. Not to say it got easier of course.

God help us when we have to take on the champion/final boss who has a full team of level one hundred Pokemon.

There's only one real way to get around the level cap. or two ways, technically (that I know of): strategy and team balance. balance your team in levels and typing and plan for the major battles you can encounter, that way the level cap usually is not an issue at all. Also, you can;t just power through with your favorites(unless they're Gardevoir and Magnezone, those two can pretty much do a lot of the game by themselves) as Ame doesn't want reborn to be easy to just waltz through (for obvious reasons) and the level cap stops a person from going "Oh, this gym leader beat me, instead of planning and strategizing I'll just level the Christ out of my mons till I can win!". I can understand that it's hard to get used to, but soon it'll be second nature to check your trainer card to see what the max level is now, trust me. I mean, if a pretty stupid man like myself can do it, what's stopping you? :P

I'm not really sure what part you are frustrated or upset about. This is going to be Reborn vs Hardcore talk because quite frankly, people don't understand that they are two different systems designed for two different battle formats. I'll start with Reborn's level cap system:

Reborn has something that is called a soft level cap. This means that there isn't a force stopping you from leveling up, but there are incentives not to like disobedience. I've seen people ignore this and get frustrated trying to solo the game with 1 level 90 or so Pokemon but can't really. Ame also makes the level cap 3-5 levels higher than what the player's mons should be at that given point so if you're frustrated at the cap, then you actually aren't using a full team. I say this as someone who fights opponents 5-7 levels below the cap with only a team of 6 I built very early on. Reborn overall is not a very hard game in RPG standards so consider it a wake up call you have to try for victory.

Now somebody mentioned that a mod did something with the level cap. That'd be me with Hardcore (a "harder" version of Reborn). Since I designed fights around a level cap, I turned it into a hard limit in which Exp could not go above a certain level until a gym leader was defeated. In doing this, I could give players more experience by giving opponents evolved or more Pokemon as well as a lucky egg and exp share. Pokemon here are all roughly going to be around the same level when fighting bosses vs Reborn's where teams will usually be very different levels. We do things differently and for different reasons (my mod is harder version of Reborn so I need to include stuff to compensate for the extra difficulty).

If you are going to complain about it saying it should be removed, you should honestly remove yourself from the game. I'm not particularly fond of the disobedience system (mostly because it is a pain in the ass to grind new Pokemon with), but Pokemon is not an easy to work with system as keeping the level pacing is really hard to do without overshooting or undershooting. It's never going to be perfect but Ame did add new features like trading, speedup, and Grand Hall trainers to make grinding more bearable.

So, I could give you the Dark Souls argument and say "git gud", but I don't think you're completely wrong.

First off, I absolutely adore difficult games and as such adore Reborn too, but I have to be honest when I say I have used litterly 0 common candies in my playthrough. The main reason for this is that I save before a gym/major fight and if I fail I just quick restart the game. (Some people might say that's cheating, but I always play greedy and as a result I got the max amount of money now... oops). I do see how people can overlevel their pokémon though and think the common candies were a great solution for that. Personnally I wouldn't have trouble downleveling a pokémon since, in a way, it actually is an improvement. sadly you feel differently about this which leads to my second point;

The reason why there is a level cap in the first place is to make the game fair. (Don't go ranting yet, let me explain). All gym battles are 6 vs 6 and the level cap ensures that your pokémon are around the same level as the leaders, you could argue that the leaders have the field effect advantage, but then again you have the advantage that you can try over again, learn their tactics and pokémon while adapting to them. I like anylizing games and, while not perfect, I think this game is pretty fair (I'll talk about some flaws later on).

When regarding pacing I don't see a major flaw either except for the episode with aya, I nearly had to use a common candy there. As a matter of fact Reborn does a better job of pacing then the main core series. Take gen4 for example, you're quite op at the start but when getting to the E4 you're easily underleveled, this doesn't make them difficult as they aren't the hardest enemy's (Yes, even cynthia can be beaten easily when underleveld) so it isn't the biggest problem, but just the fact that I never had to use a common candy and only needed to train a couple of times (with the exception of training a new caught underleveld pokémon) I can confidently say Reborn is definitely well-paced. But this is where perhaps the biggest flaw in the game occurs: training, or rather grinding. It is only at agate circus that you find your first npc which you can keep fighting to train your pokémon. This is past the half way mark of the game, which means that for the majority of the game you have to train using wild pokémon and that can be a pain. Introducing trainable npc's early on in the game wouldn't be a bad idea or even difficult to implement. Ame could've for instance made one of the aqua/magma gang members a trainable npc. So this is where I have to agree with you.

Now to another point you made. You say you want to play with your favourite pokémon and not to be forced to play with those you don't like. Well, you're absolutely right here, but again I don't feel like this is the case as I also only play with pokémon I like. But, hey, maybe I just like more or "better" pokémon than you do. But still I don't believe that there is any set of six pokémon with which you can't beat anyone, except perhaps a team full of caterpie, in which case it's your own fault. I mean, just look at the runs on the forums that have been completed on this game, I bet every monotype has been done and some other insane runs on top of that. So no matter what your top 6 favourite pokémon are, I think you can make it work in a fair manner.

You have to keep in mind that this game is not just an rpg, but also a strategy game. You can't just go in with you arcanine and have 4 fire moves and expect to win with that. You have to think about move pools, all the abilities, how the synergy between you're party members works and what items to use. The game is not unfair by implementing the level cap system, it's tricky but not unfair. I also could've come with the argument that you need to "rotate" pokémon or use pokémon you normally wouldn't use otherwise, but seeing your post I sense that this isn't your playstyle (and neither is mine).

Finnaly and most importantly this is my personal opinion and review of the mechanics, I'm not trying to shoot you down or proof you wrong, I'm simply trying to make you look at things differently, so you can understand things from other's and perhaps Ame's point of view and see why the mechanics are the way they are.

If you (or anyone else) has something to add on to this, or if someone doesn't agree with me I'd gladly here your opinion.

Also I'm impressed if you read all that, I may have written a bit more than I was planning too... oops.

Hello Littlep12!

We always like to welcome new players to Reborn, but when you are asking for a cheat engine, it feels just like a disgrace of Reborn and its creators. The main aim in regular Pokemon games is to "complete your Pokedex and train the best teams". So, why wouldnt you aim for the same here too? 

Like many others have already said, Reborn is meant to be a "hard" game. (So... everything is the same, but harder.)  Please dont place your critism on a game that is meant to be that way. If you are stuck in a certain situation, you can always ask here for help and we all will try to help you out.

To ask your questions: 

I dont know about such a cheat engine. 

4 hours ago, Sceptilespy said:

You could ask Ame for the PBS files and download RPG maker to change stuff. I just don't think that's necessary though. 

Holy duck... I would never give away my own files, unless the person is part of my own development team. 

5 minutes ago, Brakk said:

Hello Littlep12!

We always like to welcome new players to Reborn, but when you are asking for a cheat engine, it feels just like a disgrace of Reborn and its creators. The main aim in regular Pokemon games is to "complete your Pokedex and train the best teams". So, why wouldnt you aim for the same here too? 

Like many others have already said, Reborn is meant to be a "hard" game. (So... everything is the same, but harder.)  Please dont place your critism on a game that is meant to be that way. If you are stuck in a certain situation, you can always ask here for help and we all will try to help you out.

To ask your questions: 

Holy duck... I would never give away my own files, unless the person is part of my own development team. 

Well, Ame shouldn't give this guy the PBS files... is literally asking the game developer for help to cheat.

I know how frustrating the level cap could be, but thats what makes reborn difficult and interesting. And the game being difficult is the best part of it: it makes the players come up with different strategies to beat the game, it makes you use pokemon you never thought you would use, when you beat a really hard leader/boss you feel sooooo satisfied, etc etc.

Idk man, in my honest opinion disabling the level cap would ruin the experience as a whole. You know a game is good when you have to spend months to beat it and learning a lot of stuff in the process. (Actually, it took over five motnhs for me to complete my first run, and that was in chapter 9 lol)

4 hours ago, Brakk said:

Hello Littlep12!

To ask your questions: 

So far, it seems developers are cool about this type of stuff. Ame and Jan have given PBS files to people who requested them. Example, Acegamestv. He's done a few runs where he's captured people's Pokemon, and that's only possible with the PBS files. And who has the PBS files you ask?

Edited by Sceptilespy

I think the main problem is people know too much.

When I first played Reborn my condition:

1.I didn't even hear about EV/IV.

2.I had never seen or heard about shiny pokemon.

3.My main pokemon was charizard who had 3 fire type attacks and 1 dragon type moves.(So Adrienn's gym was very fun)

4.The only type chart I knew were grass,fire and water.

5.Half of my team were part normal and other half had 4x weaknesses.

6.I didn't know anything about nature or abilities.

Here is screenshot of my charizard:

capture000.thumb.PNG.e02aa48bc59782b41f49f1e65dd0cc7e.PNG

As you can see,complete random EV and IV with brave nature with a mixed moveset.

So If I can finish 14 gyms with these pokemon why can't you?

20 hours ago, Just2Reborn said:

It is only at agate circus that you find your first npc which you can keep fighting to train your pokémon. This is past the half way mark of the game, which means that for the majority of the game you have to train using wild pokémon and that can be a pain. Introducing trainable npc's early on in the game wouldn't be a bad idea or even difficult to implement. Ame could've for instance made one of the aqua/magma gang members a trainable npc. So this is where I have to agree with you.

Now, I agree with everything you said. However, this is incorrect. The trainers in the Grand Hall can be battled over and over. I believe this is the case as soon as you beat the first gym, but don't quote me on that. So if you need to do grinding, you can just battle them. They change every day and the cycle repeats itself every week 

55 minutes ago, HongaarseBeer said:

Now, I agree with everything you said. However, this is incorrect. The trainers in the Grand Hall can be battled over and over. I believe this is the case as soon as you beat the first gym, but don't quote me on that. So if you need to do grinding, you can just battle them. They change every day and the cycle repeats itself every week 

I believe it's either after Corey or Aya, actually. or maybe after shelly?