[Epilogue] WitchHunt! - Coven Win

Daniel Blackworth

Aloha, reader! I am Magister Divergent, resident Mafia enthusiast, here to bring to you WitchHunt! Whether you're an experienced player or a newbie to the genre, you'll be sure to have fun if you participate in this game! I'll be there to clear up any misconceptions, so feel free to contact me at my Discord account for any questions. You may also visit the Reborn Mafia Discord Chat at https://discord.gg/qNfjbar for some good fun and conversation.

I. WHAT IS WITCHHUNT!? [HOW TO PLAY THE GAME]

WitchHunt is a variant of the popular Mafia game - a variant which has features from Mafia and certsin qualities that makes it a unique and original game. WitchHunt is a game wherein there are two main factions: the Uninformed Majority [villagers], who only know their role and don't know the other members of the town and the Informed Minority [coven], who know each other and discuss every Night on whom they should kill. Both sides have to eliminate all members on the opposing side, or when it is deemed impossible for the other group to resist.

At the beginning of the game, players will receive a PM with their Role and Alignment.

There are two phases in WitchHunt: 

The Day Phase, which lasts 72 hours, where the players will discuss about the events of the previous night and find out who is of the Coven. Villagers try to discern the alignment of the other players while the Witches try to blend in and avoid being read as scum. Before the day ends, the players must vote on a player and the one who gets the majority votes will be eliminated.

The Night Phase, which lasts 24 hours, where the thread is considered 'locked' and players cannot comment in the thread. Instead, if they have Night Actions, special abilities related to their role, they may use those to help their faction win. The Coven also discusses in their private chat who to kill for the night.

What makes this game different from an ordinary game of Mafia?

(1) Most of the roles are role ambiguous - this means that a role may belong to a Villager or a Witch.

(2) Roles and Alignment are not revealed upon the death of the player. It is up to those who are living to find out whose team is someone working for...

(3) Players who die are still part of the game. Dead villagers become Angels, who choose to protect a player per night while dead witches become Demons, who haunt and swap investigation results of two people.

If you have some questions, you may ask me via PM or via this thread. You may also refer to my previous games in this subforum to see how the players play Mafia.

II. PLAYER TYPE DETAILS PART I
TEAM TYPES:

* Villagers - They are the Uninformed Majority of the group. They spend their time trying to find out who's on their side and who's not. They try to find out deception, look out on whom they should trust, and when they should reveal information they may have.

Types of Villagers:
  -     Villager - The most common player type, Villagers are responsible for using their role to find out who the Witches are.
  -     Holy Villager - The more uncommon and powerful type, Holy Villagers are always aligned with the Village and can never be aligned with the Witches.
  -     Royalty - With the King being the only one considered as Royalty, the King is always Village aligned, but does not appear as Holy in Inquisitor's investigations. 

* Coven - The Informed Minority of the group. They use their abilities to blend in with the town, and destroy it from within.

Types of Witches:
  -     Witch - The only Witch player type, Witches share a private communication at all times, and they are responsible for killing a player every night.  

Special Power:
  -     Last Stand: If the Witches are ever brought only to one living player, they have an option to kill two different targets on that night. 

The Witches also always have the option not to kill, and they also have to option to kill someone from their own team if they wish so.

TAKE NOTE - All roles except the Holy Villager and Royalty can be working for any side - be it the Village or the Coven.

ROLES:

1. Priest [Holy] - During the night, the Priest may check a player to find out if they belong to the Village or not.
 2. Acolyte [Holy] - The Acolyte is informed of the Priest's identity at the start of the game.
 3. King [Royalty] - During the first night, the King elects a player to join his court [more on it - detailed later]
 4. Gravedigger - In the beginning of the night, the Gravedigger learns of the Roles and Alignments of the players who died during that day.
 5. Judge - When the Village fails to reach a majority consensus on whom they should vote or when they decide to No Lynch, the Judge may decide privately on whom to lynch. Lynches by the Judge ignore all extra lives [except for Emissary as it isn't an extra live factor]
 6. Apprentice - At the beginning of the game, the Apprentice chooses either Gravedigger or Judge. They learn of the player who has the role and takes over their responsibilities if that player dies.
 7. Survivalist - The Survivalist begins the game with an Extra Life.
 8. Dirty Old Bastard - When their death is announced, they may choose a player to kill. [D.O.B]
 9. Gambler - At the beginning of the game, the Gambler selects Even or Odd. On these numbered nights, the Gambler is exempted from any kills.
10. Fanatic - When the Fanatic is visited by the Priest, the Fanatic is privately informed and receives an Extra Life.
11. Oracle - At the beginning of the game, the Oracle learns of the identity of a randomly chosen villager.
12. Watchman - At the end of the first night, the Watchman learns the identity of a random Villager who did not visit during the night.
13. Hunter - The first time anyone survives a kill, the Hunter is permitted to kill a target the following night.
14. Emissary - The Emissary is exempted from all lynches and kill during the first three days and three nights.
15. Peeping Tom - Once in the game, the Peeping Tom may observe the actions of any non-holy character. If that player is dead, the Peeping Tom makes actions in their stead.
16. Assassin - Once in the game, during the day, the Assassin may reveal their role, and guess the role of another player. If the guess is correct, that player dies. If it is incorrect, the Assassin dies.
17. Spiritualist - Once in the game, during the day, the Spiritualist may reveal their role and name any dead player. They are privately informed of that player's Role and Alignment.
18. Nurse - Once in the game, during the day, the Nurse may reveal their role and name any non-holy character. If the player having that role is still alive, they receive an extra life.
19. Loose Cannon - Once in the game, during the day, the Loose Cannon may reveal their role and sacrifice themselves to choose whom to lynch.
20. Benevolent Old Dame - When their death is announced, the Benevolent Old Dame may grant an extra life to any player. [B.O.D]
21. Inquisitor - During the night, the Inquisitor may check if a player has a Holy Role or not.
22. Pagan - Once in the game, during the night, the Pagan may reveal their role. At that night, the Demons' haunt will provide protection while the Angels' protection does nothing.
23. Fortune Teller - At the beginning of the game, they may choose any role from the list. The Fortune Teller learns of a specific line to be used by the GM in the Phase Post when the player having the role dies.
24 and up. Vanilla - They bear no special ability, but they have the power to analyze and vote during the game's progress.

III. PLAYER TYPE DETAILS PART II
KING'S COURT:

The King's Court is a group of chosen players - one appointed by the King and the other two chosen by the living players. Along with the King, they make up a court of 4 players.

During the first night, the King picks a player to be a part of the court. Furthermore, the living players privately PM me with the name of someone they'd like to make a part of the court. The 2 players with the most votes are appointed to the court. If the King or the King's appointed player happens to be one of the Top, the next players with the most votes are appointed.

The members of the King's Court have a private chat which they may use at all times. Members will not be informed of the other members' roles or alignments.

The King's Court has some important abilities:
  -    Execution: The Court may vote on a player they want to kill during the night. If the player they choose happens to survive, they cannot target that player again. This ability is usable three times only.
  -     Pardon: The King may choose to disagree with the choice of the other court members when it comes to the kill. If he does so, he may cancel the kill be privately messaging me. The other members of the Court are privately informed if the King does this.
  -     Immunity: The King is immune to most kills (except lynches and Loose Cannon targetting) as long as the Court has four members. 

The Court disbands when it only has 2 members; alternatively, it disbands at a certain point of time. The public is not informed of the King's Court members; it will be publicly revealed, however, when the Court disbands.

DEAD PLAYERS:

Dead players can no longer communicate in the thread or with other living players, and they are unable to use their roles and abilities. Instead, they communicate with other dead players as they watch the game unfold, and contribute to the living players' using their new abilities as either an Angel or a Demon.

While dead, the players earn information of the actions' of the players during the night such as

-     The members of the Coven and their kill attempts
  -     The target of the Priest and his result
  -     That a Fanatic is checked and earns an extra life

Only the group present at that phase receives this information.

Angels: [they are comprised of the Dead Villagers]
  -     Protection: During the night, Angels vote as a group and protect a player from the Witch's kill target - and not any other kill sources. Angels can only protect a player if there are more Angels than Demons. 

Demons: [they are comprised of the Dead Witches]
  -     Haunting: During the night, Demons vote as a group and haunt two players. This affects two different things: (1) if the Priest checks a Haunted player, he receives the result of the other Haunted player and (2) if the Angels protect either of the Haunted players, they may never protect that same player again. 

Demons must submit their haunt targets by the 12th hour of the night phase, so that the Angels can act accordingly.

IV. HOW DOES VOTING WORK? WHAT ARE DEADLINES?

All Day Phases will last for 72 hours while all Night Phases will last for 24 hours. Roles that reveal themselves as part of their ability will cause the Day to be extended by 24 hours.

Votes should be done in this format in bold: [Eliminate] Player Name or any other variant as long as the general format is used. If you want to change your vote, first you must use [Unvote] Player Name before voting for another person.

A player must have a majority of votes [half of the players + 1] to get lynched. If no player has a majority of votes or if the villagers decide to No-Lynch, the lynch choice proceeds to the Judge. The Judge's identity is kept secret as the result is announced. No one is lynched if the Judge is dead or decides to abstain from passing Judgement.

The day will be ended early with a near unanimous vote (unanimous - 1).

=====

Also, roles which require immediate decisions at the start or end of the phase such as Judge, D.O.B, and B.O.D are requested to queue in their actions before the day phase ends by PMing or DMing me. This is done to keep the game running smoothly.

V. RULES

- The Reborn Forum rules apply here.
- All Player Discussion must be kept here in this thread. Private PMs, discussion outside the thread through Discord, IRL, or other methods are not allowed as well. Only the mandated private chats are allowed to be used.
- Per Day Phase, everyone is required to post 3 times. At Night Phase, the thread is considered locked and no one must post in the thread. Violation means a warning then immediate elimination.
- Sharing of PMs from me is not allowed. There will be consequences if found out. Ruining the game is not fun :(
- If you are ELIMINATED, you are not allowed to post in the thread anymore or like any of the posts made by other players.
- Actions should be sent to me in PM or in DM.
- Editing of posts is discouraged. If you wish to have a change, quote your previous post and say the appropriate changes.
- Lastly, respect the host and the other players. Personal attacks on others will have their own repercussions. 

If you have any questions, you may ask me here or via PM. You may also pop in the specified Discord chat linked at the top of this post ~

If you're interested in participating, comment below.

Edited by Magister Divergent

• Replies 409
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Player List

1. Purplecicada
 2. Greninja
 3. Alistair
 4. Roswell
 5. Venus
 6. LykosHand
 7. Endearing Character Trait
 8. Anti_Hero
 9. Cool Girl
10. Paul25
11. Digital Amber
12. Jace Stormkirk
13. Megagun
14. Shadowsusanoo
15. Snowy Amine
16. Lord Drakyle
17. Nagisa Hideyoshi
18. Refty365

Edited by Magister Divergent

I'm up for this.

Just a few things I've noted, though:

1. In the What is Witch Hunt section, it says the Day Phase lasts 48 hours, but in the How Does Voting Work section, it says it lasts 72 hours. Some clarification on this would be appreciated.

2. I know it's a minor thing, but the bit referring to asking some roles to submit acts early in the day probably shouldn't have the from in it, since it implies that these roles submitting earlier (i.e. doing what you requested) makes the game run less smoothly. 

Sounds interesting, but the rules seem really confusing, that or I just am tired and can't comprehend most of what i'm reading, still sounds fun but may end up asking a few tid bits about general stuff that will help with getting it all lined up in my head