Am I the only one that wishes there was a difficulty setting?

ForeverGrinding

Don't get me wrong, I love the game. But I finally had to quit and delete it. 

I've retried battles hundreds of times only to finally beat it on sheer luck. I've switched up my team and wasted hours grinding Pokemon for a specific gym (which is extremely annoying. Why not make people diversify the team they have rather than grind up one certain type to one hit an entire gym?) 

The story is AMAZING and I love how long it is. But I got to Ciel and my team is just totally incapable of beating even her first two mons no matter how I use them. They're all Lvl70 or higher and I really don't feel like taking the time to go catch a low level rock type or ice type to beat this one gym leader. 

I completely understand and admire why it's as hard as it is, but I just wish there was like a difficulty setting for us people that like the story more than the hours of extra grinding only to realize your team is completely incapable of beating the leader you're at :( 

I don't mean have one team through the whole game, but really most people's teams I've seen have been the exact same......

They all have an Ice, Dragon, Rock, and Ghost type. Then the majority of people I've seen all picked Torchic, Charmander, or Greninja as their starters. 

So everyone is using the same powerhouse team, it's just you have to know what team that is going in or you get screwed like I am at Ciel where I can't do anything but I'm not wasting time grinding up a certain mon 30 levels for this one fight

Nidoqueen, Scrafty, Greninja, Helioptile, Arcanine, and Noivern. All Lvl70-75

But its no use now, I rage quit and deleted it lol I've been working on Ciel for a couple days and I was finally just done. I've had to retry all the last major battles 10-15 times and I only ever win cause of luck. 

I'll probably try again on the next episode now that I know which mons to target early

4 minutes ago, ForeverGrinding said:

Nidoqueen, Scrafty, Greninja, Helioptile, Arcanine, and Noivern. All Lvl70-75

But its no use now, I rage quit and deleted it lol I've been working on Ciel for a couple days and I was finally just done. I've had to retry all the last major battles 10-15 times and I only ever win cause of luck. 

I'll probably try again on the next episode now that I know which mons to target early

Oh, you could have won with that! That's too bad! Still, I hope you end up taking her out eventually!

EDIT: Yeah, you probably would have had to bench Scrafty with a Gigalith or Stealth Rock Crustle, but still...

Edited by Filthy Casual

Ok I have the save file but it won't let me upload it :/ and I don't see how! None of my mons were fast enough to attack first and Togekiss stupid Air Slash made them flinch almost every time I tried 

The only move I had that was effective against Togekiss was sludge wave with Nidoqueen but it always either killed me or made me flinch before I could down it.

The one time I did Archeops just then proceeded to one hit Earthquake my entire team or Noivern use Soundburst? (never even heard of that move) to finish off my Noivern

@ForeverGrinding Alright, here's the deal. I couldn't beat Ciel with your team. It seems to be too hard, as you said...

...so I got you another team member.

I put this team member in Box 2. You'll want to start the fight with Stealth Rocks, allowing Ciel to become more damaged every time. Bench Scrafty for this member, and Ciel should be much easier. Also, you'll notice that this member has something that will really power up your Helioptile of yours...

Game.rxdata

I am going to be honest.You want to play a pokemon game but you don't want to or cannot beat gym leaders.I don't understand how that is reborn's fault.I will give you some pointers:

1.Check the topic named what's your reborn team you will see how many teams there are.People are playing challenged run of this game.

2.You have a nidoqueen that doesn't have sheer force.

3.You have noivern that has fly and cut as it's moveset even though it is a special attacker.You can teach it boomburst and air slash by the move relearner.

4.You have a Helioptile which you didn't evolve.You could have just made a topic and asked for a sun stone for trade.

5.You are going against a gym leader and half of your mons have HM moves.You only needed 1 pokemon to for HM slave or download a mod so you don't have to use HM moves.

6.You only needed 2 more pokemons to switch in between gym battle to cover your weakness.

7.Almost all your pokemons have mixed movesets.

This was my team in my 1st run:

Spoiler

599fe3cc1d425_Team1.thumb.PNG.5600147cb6f62451eeb9103c463fabad.PNG

This was my team in my 2nd run:

Spoiler

599fe507ea99e_Team2.thumb.PNG.8c3b4c0993e4cc82afafed950974a6bc.PNG

Edited by Yagami

34de72e10e9a431f51fcf857b42b6c213f9aa71c

The only thing I really had that was good against Ciel was a Lanturn but I don't understand how you could get that far and struggle on what is considered the easiest leader overall. Looking at what the user above said, if you are going to charge into battles with tactics like that you shouldn't play Reborn. Reborn is meant to be a hard game and will never have an easy mode. A harder mode on the other hand...

Hmm... I wouldn't call Ciel the easiest leader overall. Yes there are ways to beat her with relative ease, but that's true with most leaders. Florinia has become considerably easier. Samson is also easier provided you're able to abuse the field against him (cough CROBAT cough) . Radomus can be easier as well provided you don't let him set up Trick Room. Julia is a joke with some starters. And so on...

You could argue that all the aforementioned leaders are made easy due to specific mons/circumstances. But at least Florinia is considerably easier than Ciel. When the game gives you Klink, Pansear, Slugma, Numel, Litleo, Nidoking, Vanillite, numerous Poison types, numerous Bug types, numerous Flying types, and potentially a Fire starter, all BEFORE fighting her... you would have to use a highly inadequate team on purpose to even struggle against her.

To me Ciel isn't the easiest by a long shot. At most she makes top 5 easiest.

Back on the issue at hand. If you haven't found a solution already, please do follow Yagami's advices. Get just one Stealth Rock setter instead of Scrafty, fix your mons' movesets, evolve you Helioptile, give Sheer Force to your Nidoqueen, and you're gold. If you want to make things easier on yourself, next time you could consider getting a Magneton, a Crobat, and a Gardevoir. Those 3 are kind of the holy triumvirate of Reborn =p

Good luck with your upcoming battles, and I do hope you're not going to quit the game because of this silly Skydancer.

Am I the only one that finds Ciel like, really hard with an average team? Most of the time I resort to either priority spam, bird spam, or the infamous sub/double team combo. Doesn't help that I don't like using Rock-types though.

Anyway, if you have anything that gets substitute+literally any potent setup move (or x items)+enough speed (post-setup) to outspeed Noivern (or a priority move like Ice Shard) then you just win. Nothing she can do.

Edited by Seel The Deal

Okay maybe I should explain my thinking on the team comp. She isn't the easiest leader, but she is one with the odds stacked against her. The playstyle Ame intended to use as a defensive singles ones for Ciel on a field that was designed for offensive play (hence why Ame dropped the Skarmory after the beta). This combined with the faulty AI stacked with the sheer number of good flying mons with x4 weaknesses (Ciel has 2 mons who die in a single Ice attack, One to rock, and Archeops becomes useless after being hit), it adds to the player having a huge advantage in why Hardcore's felt underwhelming.

She's not hard because of the team design, but her difficulty lies in where the player's levels are at which it isn't hard to sag behind due to the low exp yields in the main story and the huge level spike in ace levels (I kept her Altaria at level 78 when in reality it should be 81 in HC to match the Reborn battle). Though that Altaria brought me a lot of pain with that sing combo as that can get nasty really fast, but that's usually my only issue when fighting her (never fought that Archeops though)

The topic is about "difficulty settings" and not about how to beat certain gym leaders or am I mistaken?

I would like a difficulty setting, something similar to Rejuvenation. (Intense Mode :))

That would bring me back to the old days of Red/Blue/Yellow where you are trying to defeat a team of lvl 60s with a team of lvl 50s. (nostalgia...)

Easy difficulty setting is not a good idea, after all this is Reborn, plus I don't think it would change much - here, when it comes to leader battles, having type advantage doesn't mean much, as every leader has its weaknesses usually covered in one way or another, and the other way must be found to beat the obstacles. True is that the closer to 100 lvl, the more attention the player must pay for building a team, IVs, EVs, etc., but it comes from the nature of mon game itself, not because of its exceptional difficulty.

In fact, there are many options to trick out the AI (Air Baloons... Here comes the EQ loop, so I can boost my mon with every X-item I have before I lay down the destruction), or just use brute force - in every part of the game a mon allowing to do that can be found.

Instead of making the game easier, it would be a better idea to implement the hardcore mod into it as an option.

If this helps, my reborn team is:-

Emboar (event in pyrous mountain but great attacker)

Greninja (yeah over used I know but protean is good and it still only takes out one or two mons before going down)

Noivern (I don't know how you could lose with this thing. Dragon pulse and hurricane anhilate so many things plus boom burst)

Magnezone (So many of Ceil pokemon have earthquake so this is not even that useful. But otherwise super good throughout the game)

Nidoking (You're an idiot if this doesn't have sheer force. Earth power, sludge wave, flamethrower and even surf do so much damage with this)

Granbull (You are given a snubull way early in the game. Immediately after your first gym badge actually. Everyone underestimates this pokemon. Play rough, close combat, payback and outrage/iron tail. It is a physical wall that dishes damage)

THIS HAS BEEN MY CONSTANT TEAM THROUGHOUT THE GAME. I HAVE NO BACKUP POKEMON UPTIL I FINISHED THE STORYLINE OF EPISODE 16.

None of my Pokemon were ev trained or iv bred uptil this battle. I just gave them the right moves and I beat Ceil on my third try. No setup or rocks or that garbage. Hyper offense steam rolled her team.

Moral of this, you can beat the game with anything that has the right moveset. Please know the stats of your pokemon before giving them moves. And get to know their abilities for best performance. That's all

• 4 weeks later...

i mean i can understand that the game is really hard and ive gotten over the fact that there are some teams that really just cant do anything against some gyms..... most teams that i make get stuck early on and can never beat shade, but none the less i try to find ways around it without spamming echoed voice, and t-wave/electro ball. i try not to get carried by dolphan and ampharose for the first 5 gym battles. more recently i made a play through and only used pokemon from wonder trade so i might get a rattata, fennikin, febass, beldom, heatmor, and scatterbug. and if i cant win i try to trade some more. 

but for my main play through i have Charzard, Crobat, Magnezone, Wishcash, Dragalge, and Metegross.

on the side i have Dolphan, Aggron, and Haxorus. 

also i have never tried the whole EV or IV training

Edited by herbuhduhflergen

So, I beat Ciel with your team. It was hard, and took a lot of tweaking on your Pokemon, but it was doable. If you don't want to try again, and just want to continue the story, here it is:

Game.rxdata

But if you still want to try on your own to beat her, here are a couple of tips:

- First of all, take into account Ciel's Pokemon before facing her: Togekiss, Archeops, Noivern, Gliscor, Talonflame and Mega Altaria (yes, she has an Altaria that can Mega Evolve)

- A lot of you Pokemon have HM moves. HMs in Pokemon Reborn work just like TMs, so you don't really need to keep the HM move on your pokemon all the time (like that Strength on your Nidoqueen or Dive and Waterfall on your Greninja).

- Teach Icy Wind to your Greninja. It's taught by a Move Tutor on the circus. It's the best Ice move Greninja can learn (for now), and although it has a weak base power (55), it drops your opponent speed by 1 stat. You can imagine how a speed drop can help agains't Ciel's Pokemon, who are basically all sweepers.

- Give Nidoqueen Surf in place of Strength (useful against half of her team).

- Your Helioptile is basically dead weight. It has awful stats (since it's an unevolved Pokemon at a very high lvl cap), so it's not gonna outspeed or hurt anything. Once you go back to Reborn City, if you want to keep it on your team, buy a Sun Stone on the Department Store to evolve him, and teach him Dark Pulse (TM) and Hyper Voice (Move Tutor on the Circus)
- Buy Ability Capsules in the circus (they go in the Medicine bag). Use an Ability Capsule on Nidoqueen to change her ability to Sheer Force (that way, Sludge Wave is gonna do more damage against her two Fairy Pokemon), and on Arcanine and Scrafty to change their abilities to Intimidate (to cripple her Pokemon).

- Go to the Move Relearner (again, on a tent on the circus) and re-teach Head Smash to Scrafty. You are gonna need that to hit Noivern, since it's the only Pokemon you have that's bulky enough to survive and attack from him.

- Buy a lot of Cotton Candy (I used six). It works like Revive, and you don't have any revives.
- Give an Air Balloon to Arcanine.
- Sometimes Gym Leaders go for a random attack instead of a expected one, and that can really mess up a bait-and-switch strategy. If that happens, just soft-reset.

Here's how the fight went, basically:

Togekiss: I lead with Greninja, and used Icy Wind two times to cripple her Togekiss's speed. It didn't do a lot of damage, but that speed drop I called Nidoqueen to finish Togekiss off when Greninja went down. She used all her Hyper Potions while I tried to kill it with Sludge Wave. Archeop is next.
Archeops: to beat Archeops, I lead with Arcanine with Air Balloon and Intimidate. I changed to Nidoqueen and it went for Rock Slide (it's Scarfed, you see). While it used Rock Slide on Nidoqueen, I revived Greninja with Cotton Candy and healed him with Ultra Potion, then healed your Nidoqueen with Ultra Potion, and knocked him out with two Surfs.
Noivern: I sent out Scrafty in return, and used Head Smash. Again, Noivern outspeeds everyone on your team, and Scrafty is the only one bulky enough to take his hits. It didn't go down and Scrafty was down after the recoil damage, but I finished it with an ExtremeSpeed from Arcanine.

Gliscor: used Greninja's Icy Wind. His HP went down to red, but he knocked Greninja with an Acrobatics. I used Nidoqueen's Surf to finish him off.

Talonflame: I sent out Helioptile to take a Flare Blitz while I revived Scrafty. I don't remember how I beat him. I think it was Noivern.

Mega Altaria: I sent out Scrafty to cut his attack with Intimidate. Then I changed to Arcanine to cut his attack again, but Arcanine was knocked out by Hyper Voice. I sent out Scrafty again, then used Cotton Candy on Arcanine, and sent out Arcanine again, then used Cotton Candy again on Scrafty, and sent Scrafty after Arcanine was knocked out. The plan was to cut Altaria's attack as much as possible, since it has Earthquake, and the plan was to knock him out with Nidoqueen's Sludge Wave (you can't use Greninja, since Altaria is faster than your Greninja and it has Hyper Voice). Then, Sludge Wave, Ultra Potion, Sludge Wave, and done.

EDIT: Hugh, just saw that this topic is one month old. Oh, well :/

Edited by iDunno