[IC] Trespassers of the Multiverse: Director's Cut

Hal Henderics

Spoiler

Everyone awakens in a white room, already standing and with no groggy sense, like that one would have when awaking naturally, the room looks like some kind of a meeting chamber, marble flooring tastefully compliments an alabaster wood paneling along the walls.  A set of simple plastic tables, mass produced and recognizable as such are assembled in the middle of the room, around them, in direct contrast, red velvet and ebony thrones circle them.  The lights appear to be simple spheres embedded in the ceiling, while a few pens sit on the table, capped and unused.

Strangely, despite the mundane nature of the room, it clearly is nothing but.  There are no doors, no windows, there are not even outlets on the walls.  The room is also unnaturally clean, like it has never been used before.

A frazzled doctor sits in one of the thrones, putting together several papers and leafing through them quickly.  The woman is muttering to herself, she does not seem angry, but appears to be stressed, like the type of stress one has as they prepare for an irritating discussion, or struggle to meet a rapidly approaching deadline.  The woman is wearing a thick leather trenchcoat, colored the same shade of white as the floors and walls, a Timeclock card is clipped to one of her pockets on the breast of her coat.

"You all wait a moment while I try to clear this mess up.  It will take a little bit of time, we're all getting a bit rushed here." She says, kindly, but urgently.  She then chuckles lightly, before going about organizing the papers.

"Feel free to talk with your new Colleagues a bit." she continues after a moment.

Proditor

For the Ethereal, the sight of opening his eyes and seeing a completely different sight than what he was used to, namely, the wilderness of the planet Earth, was definitely a shock. But, despite that, Proditor's mind remained as clear as ever, taking in the area around him. Humanoids all around him, varying in appearance... Even in race. He could even feel extreme psionic power practically radiating off a few, which was somehow a relief to him.

Yet, even so, instead of speaking to any of the others who had woken up alongside him, Proditor focused his attention on the doctor, clearly having troubles with... Meeting something, "... Excuse me" Proditor said, floating forward just enough so he was in speaking distance. His voice was low, but unlike most Ethereals, firm, and fairly echoey, though if it was just his natural tone or the walls causing it to echo was up for debate, "I understand you are busy rushing towards something, but an offhand comment towards us is not how I would prefer waking in an unknown place," Proditor stated, his head turning slightly to the side as he looked at one of the pure white walls, "... Where are we, exactly?"

Edited by GodofGamingRWBY

It was quite the shock to Harry to find him instantaneously in this strange situation. It wasn't a dream, as he knew that he didn't dream lucidly. As soon as this admittedly minor revelation occurred to him, Harry flung himself up against the wall. There had been no indication of violence, but he subscribed to the notion that it was better to be safe than sorry. He carefully let his eyes sweep the room, hand on the hilt of his tactical knife. When the woman spoke, Harry was both surprised and not so to understand what she said. Sounded like a business. A business behind schedule? She and the man putting together papers behind her demonstrated no aggression, as far as Harry could tell. This was pretty simple to discern. The easy movements, the lack of suspicious eye movements, the somewhat calm voice. Something was going on here, but there was no immediate danger.

And now however, she was telling him and the odd others to converse. "You're gonna have to excuse me if I don't mingle yet. I don't know where the hell I am, or who these things are. It'll be all fun and games and team-building once I'm a bit more informed."

The woman startles, before making the concession to glance up at the alien, and then the human.

"Uhh." Multitasking is not her strong suit, or so it seems, as she squints for a moment, scribbling something on a paper, before turning up again to speak.

"Not sure, I got whichever place was available, sir.  One of the empty meeting rooms.  I managed to convince the higher ups to at least give you a rundown of why you are here.  More than the last poor bastards got."

"I barely had time to drag some tables in here.  Who has a meeting without even tables?"

Edited by Hal Henderics

One of the people to suddenly awaken (standing up) in the room is a teenage girl, looking to be around sixteen to eighteen, with orange hair down to her shoulders, dressed in a dark blue and gray kimono with sandals, and two swords (one longer than the other) sheathed and tucked into her grey sash. The moment she woke up, she squinted; all of a sudden, she was in a white room, with bizarre furniture, strange lighting, not to mention a variety of extremely bizarre looking figures, such as the clearly non-human figure presently speaking. In this context, and coming from a very xenophobic country as she did, perhaps it was understandable that the very first thing this girl, Kaiu Satomi, did was get overwhelmed and freak out.

"Wha--" Satomi began, unable to find complete words to say at first as she stuttered out various sounds, "Wher-- I-- How-- Wha-- Wha... What is this?!" She finally managed to complete her sentence, taking a step towards a corner so that there was a little bit of distance between her and the others, and sliding her longer sword a couple inches out of its hilt (albeit not yet fully pulling it out). "Who are you?! How did I get here, and where is this? Am I still in Crab lands?! What are some of you, even-- am-- am I in the Shadowlands?!" She slid her sword a couple further inches out of her hilt.

"Lovely of you to consider it. Lovely to hear that you also don't know where we are. Whatever, it doesn't matter. When can we expect this briefing?" Harry had not let down his guard. His training had made him fairly certain in the man and woman's lack of ill intent, but the others seemed to be in the same situation as he, and were genuine threats. Speaking of which. There was a tiny teenager with a sword.

"Calm down, girl! None of us know where we are. Not even these bloody bureaucrats who were waiting for us. It's probably not your Shadowlands or whatever, so you got that. Now keep your sword sheathed. I'm not threatening you, but any violence or threats you undertake are probably gonna be reciprocated by others, and you're not gonna win. Take a bit of your surroundings in, and make some informed decisions."

Edited by Strider

Mirri very slowly and deliberately climbs to her feet with a scrape of metal-on-metal.  She performs a brief systems diagnostic even as she pulls her blaster rifle into her hands, though she keeps her grip far away from the safety or trigger.  For now.  Her T-visor gives absolutely no indication of where her attention is, but her posture and something inexplicable radiate a subtle menace.  "Black bagged again?  At least they left my helmet this time.  Tell me, bureaucrat, how many of your pawns did you sacrifice to get me in here?  Was it worth the blood spilled?"

"... I suppose that would answer that specific question, but it does not help much" Proditor replied. However, before he could continue, his attention was shifted to one of the females who was now freaking out, sliding a sword out. If Proditor had eyebrows, he would be raising them. He knew that swords were a reliable weapon (after all, the greatest threat to his race did still use them to remarkable success), but it was still a surprise, mostly because no one would dare try and use a sword against his kind. Though, considering she obviously didn't know who he was (he saw about 3 creatures whose races he didn't recognize), it was at least explainable. To top it off, the full armored woman who had just gotten up, pulled out a rifle, and asked her own... Fairly threatening question.

With that, Proditor's head turned back to the woman in white, "... Perhaps it would be best to tell us something to satisfy our curiosity, at least before your 'higher ups' give us a rundown" Proditor stated. While it was clear that his statement was more of a demand then a request, his voice was still retaining the same calmness as before.

Edited by GodofGamingRWBY

Satomi made a little bit of a disbelieving sound, as more of the strange people began to talk, one of them pulling out what was clearly some bizarre weapon (gaijin pepper...?), and one of the others telling her to calm down. She didn't slide down her sword, but at the least she didn't pull it up further either. She spoke with a slight tremble in her voice. "Calm down? How can I calm down? I'm in a room with a bunch of gaijin, and at least one creature that isn't human at all, and I'm not sure if it's an Oni or not! Well... it's not trying to kill us, so maybe it isn't, but-- this is all impossible! I've been pulled from my duty into a situation so-- so alien that you are probably the most normal part of it, and you're a foreigner! How am I supposed to calm down?"

The woman looks completely dumbfounded.

"You... Did all of you get amnesia or something? You were supposed to get the choice to help save all creation or not."

"All of you should have gotten the choice to take part in a conflict spanning every possible world."

"This will be so much more difficult if you all forgot that, and I will be filling several complaints." All Enthusiasm deflates from her body, like the balloon of a sad clown.

She lays down the papers.

"My name is Yamato Jules, but I am better known as Doctor Ebon"

"You all are here because The Multiverse is being eaten alive by entities whose end goal is the consumption of all extant energy, matter, and concept."

"The Higher up I report to is the Avatar of said Creation.  Normally, you would all have already been dumped on a world in need of your unique talents and abilities with no further explanation.  I believed however, that doing so would only hinder you more than it would help.  You see, as it stands, there are countless worlds that are practically ruined already by the time one of these monsters arrives, and an even larger amount who cannot fight off the Trespassers long enough for help to arrive."

"You all may be skilled in combat by some means or another, but the reason you all have been assembled into this particular group is to remedy the issue I've presented.  Travel the Multiverse, help bring up ruined worlds to places worth living in, worth saving, bring up powerful worlds even further, you all have talents which could be spread to others, Merits which I firmly believe you could use to prepare defenses, to prepare worlds for attack, or at least prevent them fighting the end of their world on multiple fronts."

"Ordinary, good men and women would be able to defeat the evils and sorrows of their world, or at least have that opportunity.  With the Trespasser Menace spreading fast, Any world could be faced with an impossible enemy to defeat.  They would survive longer without horrific entities already gunning for apocalypse in their own homes, and they would certainly survive longer if they themselves were stronger and better equipped."

"This isn't going to be a hard or stressful job, hopefully.  Your Duty isn't necessarily to fight these threats yourselves, though if needs must, I believe you more than capable of handling yourselves.  Take it slow, muster your resources, and try to build foundations to weather the oncoming storm."

She checks her wrist, upon which a watch is attached.

"I've got about 20 minutes for questioning, before this room dissolves into ether and you all wake up again in Earth Bet." she finishes, arms crossed.

Edited by Hal Henderics

Before:

"By taking a few deep breaths. I don't care what you think of foreigners. You can sort that out later, once you've got some more info. If you keep this up, you're gonna escalate things, and it would be idiotic to do that when you're outnumbered. Are you an idiot? If you think the answer's no, hold off a bit, learn a bit, and then decide whether you're gonna try to kill us 'foreigners'" Harry sighed, rubbing his temples. How did he get here again? He was drawing a blank right now. He knew who he was of course, but nothing of the last day? or so. Back to the situation at hand. There was something humanoid in armor with a rifle. Probably more powerful than the girl with the sword, but at least the person's ire was focused on the greeting party. Still though, if she turned too rapidly, Harry was prepared to try to close the distance to tackle her if necessary. But that seemed unlikely. He turned his attention back to the girl. Damnit. Trembling voice, small frame, hadn't sheathed the sword. Fear, more than anger, and fear was more dangerous.

"Look. Just think about this right now. People are on edge, but no one is actively threatening you. For now, you've got nothing to worry about."

After:

"Well, that's quite the yarn. But." As Harry considered this option, he found a very vague memory that might be what the woman was referring to. "You might be right, Doctor Ebon. Questions then. . . Where'd the entities come from, can you give an example of what sort of thing we've got to do, and what's Earth Bet."

"Earth Bet is the world this young lady is from." Dr. Ebon gestures to Somatotrope, who until now had been standing off to the side, stunned and still.

"It's a very strenuous world, where there are 3 villains for every 1 hero, and various horrific threats to humanity.  Projected timeline on it has human extinction in 20 years or less, currently."

"Consider this world a trial run of your abilities, your goal is to help others and learn to cooperate with one another.  There should be obvious problems to deal with no matter where you end up, but your location should be tweaked to provide you a way off world for when you are ready.  It will take several visits to this place to get it in fighting shape, I'll warn you, so don't be afraid to move on to another world for additional experience and aid."

"As for Payment, Everyone dies if the Trespassers win.  Furthermore, every world you visit is one unlike any other in many ways.  The Payment would be access to resources potentially worth more than gold, ripe for the taking."

"There is even one world, albiet, they are more than capable of taking care of their own business, who have wish granting relics without the normal downsides of being granted a wish."

"Just an example, of course."

Proditor himself didn't speak, his form remaining motionless as he took in the information from Doctor Ebon. His entire being was in shock, but despite that, he both believed it and... Was strangely relieved. On one hand, looking into his mind, he could pick out parts of his memory where all was blank. That, and entities that wished to consume all weren't at all foreign to him, as he had already experienced them before. On the other hand, he was relieved because it was a fresh start. For almost a year he had lived on the run, first from his own race and then by Humanity as a whole. He was dying anyway, but now he at least had a purpose before his inevitable death. 

It was these two factors that caused Proditor to remain silent, letting the others speak for him, taking in Ebon's answers. On the subject of traveling to multiple worlds... He both hoped he could return to his own to set things right, and that he would never find his way back there again.

The Ambassador had quietly stood up a few moments earlier, and he had been content to simply stand away from everyone else to watch and learn more about them.

He slowly walked towards the definitely not friendly Asian woman in the surprisingly realistic replica of....alright he couldn't actually remember what that type of armor was called or where it came from. She would be able to see him coming as he tried his best to make a series of hopefully not alarming sound and approach her from the front with his hand raised up to the sky.

He made damn sure that he sounded as sincere as possible when he said "I believe that we as a group means you absolutely no harm, and I personally believe that while your fear is quite frankly understandable it is rather unfortunately misplaced". He slowly lowered his hands before he stopped walking in front of the Asian woman "My name is Ambassador Jun, and may I ask for your name in return Miss...?".

"Acceptable, as long as you brought my X-Wing along," Mirri states, "No amount of loot compensates for losing my ship.  Though I doubt you left it.  I wouldn't be worth the effort of hiring otherwise.  You've got yourself a Mandalorian.  We don't disappoint."  The important business dealt with, she turns her attention to the rest of the group.

"So you're my backup on this mission?  Well, you're not Mando'a, but I suppose you'll do.  Hey, local, we need intel on this Bet system.  Big names, people who need a good killing, tech level, paranoia levels of the local law enforcement, that sort of thing."

Edited by DragonRage

Arminius was silent for reasons that were readily apparent to anyone that looked at him. Namely, he was busy putting out some minor fires on him and his... small child? Probably not a child on second thought, they're much to foul mouthed going off the quiet bickering between the two. Eventually however, the man gets him and his companion sorted, giving him time to look around. With his check done he nods.

"Nice place. Beats getting roasted at least... I'm Arminius and the goblin is Fingers."

If he's worried about the antics of the less calm people he shows no sign of it. The small one however pitches in her two cents.

"Yous are dressed weird."

"Oh, sure. Not that I've got much choice, but count me in as well. Got some recollection of agreeing to it, and I'm not going to go back on that." Harry, from his position on the wall, gave another quick scan of the room. Nothing much to see for now, though there was someone claiming to be an ambassador. Maybe he'd get the girl under control.

"Walters, Harry Walters, ready to serve. Or get shot. Or whatever the hell I have to do. Hope I don't disappoint either."

Satomi stared at the older man who had been talking with her, for a few moments. "No, I... just because you're gaijin doesn't mean I'm trying to kill you. I..." Satomi took in a trembling breath. Courage, Courage, she had to abide by her Courage -- what kind of Crab Clan samurai would let themselves be cowed by their fear? Not a good one, that's for sure, and Satomi knew she had enough flaws as a samurai already. Taking another deep breath to continue to calm herself down, Satomi began to slowly slide her sword against her sheath, the sound of sharp metal against leather quietly ringing out for a few seconds as the small samurai put away her weapon inch by inch. She took another deep breath. "R-right... right..." With another breath, she took her hand off of the sheath and looked around the room much more calmly, albeit still clearly a little overwhelmedly.

Then another man came up to speak with her. "Jun... that sounds Rokugani, but you certainly look... big... for a Rokugani. Uhm... I am Satomi. Kaiu Satomi. Crab Clan." Indeed, the back of her kimono had a gold-colored design of a crab in a circle in it.

Rather than wait for his reply, Satomi took the moment to voice her opinion of the explanation the group was being given. "If you're not just lying to us... that does sound a lot like my duty in the first place... to protect the world... worlds? Even Jigoku... this must be a fearsome threat indeed... I suppose if I were to protect Rokugan and beyond as my Clan is tasked to do, to take this task on too would be natural... if you're not lying. Gah, this is all so much..."

The girl in the skirt and crop top, having been taking in the events unfolding around her could no longer contain her curiosity and excitement. Nor could the little dragon of blue scales and shimmering crystal, that hung on her shoulder. the little dragon takes of, and moves to examine the Asian girl with the swords hovering in front of her and flapping its wings, each one about the size of its body, and made of shimmering crystal. How it could possibly fly with such wings is likely a mystery to the others, but it looked dazzling. 

meanwhile the girl slides over to the "Manalroian"
"HI!. I'm Lilly. what's that, your weapon? your armor is neat. you have a ship?"
As she talks she's darting around her, examining her and her gear from all sides. she's quite swift when she's excited. she doesn't seem to care about the exposition that has been dropped, rather all her attention is captured by the people around her.

"Mirri of Clan Av.  And yes, this is a weapon.  I would advise against standing in front of the barrel, or touching it.  The safety is on, but that doesn't make it completely safe," The armored woman sounds more amused by Lilly's antics than anything, "I do have a starship.  If you'd like I could give you a ride once we're out of here.  Free of charge, even.  It's not the roomiest, but there's enough space for a passenger as long as I stay in atmosphere."

Proditor took the time now to slightly bow towards Doctor Ebon, "Thank you for the explanation, Miss Jules. It was very helpful" Proditor thanked, then turned towards the rest of the people around him. At first he almost introduced himself, wanting to at least give those around him a name to refer to him as. But, despite that, he stopped himself, noticing how most were in conversation, though the female with the sword was still rather confused and overwhelmed by the situation. But, she was already being taken care of by others.

... He'd simply wait for his chance to speak, if that was the case.

"Doctor Ebon. You said our first mission was on a planet with great deal of 'villains'. What are the rules of engagement? Any other info that we should know? Local customs to respect? Gestures we can't make? General cultural stuff to keep us from getting ourselves killed."

In response to the small girl or woman's resheathing of her blade, Harry moved his hand a few inches from his tactical knife. She reminded him of something from his history courses. The dialect was archaic, but it seemed oriental in some form. The language had probably changed a fair amount since whenever she had lived, but linguistic trees don't change so quickly. And of course, there was the sword. Distinctly eastern, probably Japanese, if he recalled his history classes correctly. Thus, he asked abruptly, "Are you Japanese?"