"Favorite" Pokemon by Region

Chase

"BUT PROOOTO HUNTER, THERE'S ALREADY A FAVORITE POKEMON THREA-"

stop it.

The point of this thread is to share your favorite Pokemon by region. Why by region? Easy, because the region dictates what kind of Pokemon other people might use the next time they start a journey there.

Let's kick it off with Kanto, because that seems like the most fitting spot to start. 151 Monsters who hold the title of "the OG", but in my eyes, only 5 of them make a top five list, while I do have a favorite legendary.

So - that's going to be the format I use, a top five of regular(-ish) Pokemon, and one Pokemon from that region that is one of a kind and special. You guys can do what you want with your list though! Let's do it.

5. image.png.9a5e99641c5a1558f1fc896c387c7098.png

So, everyone knows that the premier powerhouse Fighting type in Kanto... is NOT Primeape. That title would belong to Machamp, with the Hitmon duo and Poliwrath making for strong special consideration - but Mankey's availability in Kanto is very nice if you wanted to get started training a brawler right away. It's also faster than Machamp. Also, it's one of the first fighting types you can get in Pokemon Reborn (Obsidia Slums) alongside Makuhita (which does outclass the poor guy) and Pancham (who also outclasses Mankey because it is immune to Psychic type moves, nullifying a weakness completely.) No matter which game you play in, this Pokemon finds itself in others' shadows, and I find that pretty "samey". It's a good reason to be perpetually angry anyway.

4. image.png.85acfd4e70be28cb13d1f19826fd009b.png

Sabrina. was pretty difficult for kid Hunter to take down - and it wasn't until later that I found out Alakazam DID have a Pokemon other than overleveled Bug Pokemon that it was weak to. Gengar, along with Alakazam, remains very competitive Pokemon and is highly respected. It gained the Poison typing, which gained a ton of value with the release of the Fairy type, and it used to have the ability Levitate to add to a considerable list of immunities.

3. image.png.e8349b051d9b6fc247ca941e70831640.png

Fearow is a Pokemon that has a painfully low BST and is outclassed entirely by the likes of Dodrio. That being said, It's an absolute early game gem in Pokemon Reborn, able to hold it's own until about Aya, by then assuring you have access to several more flying type Pokemon, such as another one of my favorites for a later list. It can learn the super satisfying move Mirror Move, which, if it survives a Dragon type attack and it throw that same attack right back at the drake who fired it. It also picks up a very unique coverage move in Drill Run, which allows this flying type to finish off ALL of it's biggest problems, Rock and Electric types. Another Pokemon that runs Drill Run is Beedrill. Can this indicate that Fearow gets a Mega Evolution? I'd dig it.

2. image.png.900628464bc89db027ed52b81a324bbe.png

I often find that Ground types are usually a staple on my team. Electric types are fairly uncommon, and when they show up in any of my Pokemon playthroughs it always causes me to panic a little. Playing through FireRed, I used Golem for the first time. Kanto is a wonderful "trade evolution" region (that was the best feature in the game, using the Link Cable to get super good pokemon like Golem, Machamp, Gengar, and Alakazam.) It was very efficient. As an offensive Pokemon it can hit hard and hit surprisingly fast for a Rock type, and while it seems to be lacking in defense (especially with it's dual weakness to Water and Grass type moves) it can delay issues with the ability Sturdy. My Golem in FR ended up wielding the deadly EdgeQuake combo, which hits virtually everything for at least neutral damage.

1. image.png.3a6c402c46fd8692458ada3c9c293422.png

I had this thought as a kid, that if you wanted to win the game, you wanted to pick the Pokemon on the box. Since I got Red, I had to pick Charmander as my starter...and lose to Brock and Misty a heck of a lot before Charizard became virtually unstoppable. I guess, what I like about Charizard is that for the longest time, it was a humble draconic appearing lizard. In Generation 4, Stealth Rocks obliterated this things "meh" status by making half of it's HP get lost on the switch in. However, it gained some serious boost in Generation 6 by getting not only one, but TWO Mega Evolutions. It's an early game paragon in Reborn with Dragon Rage in it's moveset, allowing it to get off 40 damage for free in the part of the game where most Pokemon have 40 or less hp to work with. This is, the true original gangster. I don't buy people claiming it to be overrated at all - even if Bulbasaur has it's uses and Squirtle is the preferred starter for Speed-Runners.

Kanto Legendary of Merit

image.png.c4a53978c290090e2332b70caec94556.png

What's cooler than a dragon that's partially perpetually on fire? a bird that is COMPLETELY perpetually on fire. The bird trio is a super awesome hunt-and-find set of legendary Pokemon, and my favorite is Moltres, a Pokemon I like even more than Mew and Mewtwo.

Honorable Mentions: Lapras, Nidoqueen, Victreebel, Electrode, Clefable

Kanto : Charizard , nidoqueen , gengar , gyarados , lapras , the eevolutions , dragonite , zapdos.

Johto : Typhlosion ( my favorite of course ) , the eevolutions , scizor , houndoom , tyranitar , Ho oH.

Hoenn : Milotic , salamence , metagross , latios , groudon.

Shinnoh : Luxray , lucario , garchomp , magmortar , glaceon , gallade , giratina , dialga , darkrai.

Unys : Serperior ( cute ) , excadrill , archeops , zoroark , haxorus , braviary , hydreigon , volcarona , zekrom ( my favorite legendary ).

Kalos : Delphox , dragalge , sylveon , yveltal.

Alola : Alolan ninetales , toxapex , silvally (styled ) , kommo-o .

Yeah , in general , almost all the dragons and eevolutions for me.

Kanto : Charizard(my favorite), nidoking,  Jolteon, dragonite, Mewto, Blastoise, Golduck

Johto : Feraligatr, Ursaring, Crobat, Heracross, tyranitar , Kingdra

Hoenn : Sceptile, Swellow, Breloom, Crawdaunt, Rayquaza.

Shinnoh : Luxray , lucario , garchomp , Drapion, Magnezone, Electivire.

Unys : Emboar, Conkeldurr, Krookodile, zoroark, haxorus, Scrafty, hydreigon , volcarona, Cofagrigus

Kalos: dragalge , Noivern

Alola : Never played Gen 7 or watch the Tv show...

I'm just gonna name my favorite one per region, cuz for some gens (gen 1 for example) I don't have many high opinions

gen 1: Dragonite, before you say "but that's the pseudo, so everyone is already gonna like it!" let me repeat, I have few opinions over gen 1 mons, and better yet! I have -40 nostalgia for the gen, it actually being my least favorite. (OMG! HE DISLIKES GEN 1! HE'S NOT A REAL FAN! HE SHOULD QUIT PLAYING POKEMON FOREVER!) not even gonna lie, I got reactions like that once... (honorable mention to Marowak and Clefable)

gen 2: Azumarril, as with gen one, I have few opinions on gen 2 mons, but Azu has to be my favorite

gen 3: Gardevoir, okay, so if I need to explain why I put Gardevoir here, you don't know me at all. but in case that's the case: It's my favorite mon, that's why it's there for gen 3. (Honorable mention to Flygon and Metagross)

gen 4: Roserade, been my favorite for a very long time, been my second favorite from early 2016 till gen 7 came out. (honorable mention to Lucario and Garchomp, cuz duh)

gen 5: this is actually a pretty hard one for me since I love a lot of gen 5 mons. but if I had to chose it would probably be... Emolga. Now this one is here not because it's amazing in battle, but because it's cute as a button, and it's my favorite Pikachu clone.

gen 6: Klefki, I play mono fairy... try that and try not liking Klefki after that

gen 7: Lycanroc, it's a wolf and wolves are my favorite animal

Kanto: Mew, Dragonair, Eevee, Vaporeon, Charizard, Venusaur-Bulbasaur (emotional value, the first starter I've ever picked), Lapras

Johto: Espeon, Larvitar (and its evolution line), Lugia, Ampharos

Hoenn: Milotic, Latias, Rayquaza, Blaziken, Altaria, Gardevoir

Sinnoh: Staraptor, Roserade, Chimchar and Infernape, Mesprit

Unova: Snivy and its evolution line, Virizion, Keldeo, Excadrill, Volcarona, Axew, Krookodile

Kalos: Fennekin and its evolution line, Greninja, Flabebe and its evolution line, Sylveon, Xerneas

Alola: Alolan Ninetales (bae), Rockruff and its evolution line, Tapu Fini and Lele, Lunala, Kommo-O

wait I'm confused is this supposed to be for Kanto or all regions

In spite of how important Gen1 is, there are actually few mons I truly like, and most of them happen to be NFE.

I suppose my choices would be: Charmeleon, Scyther, Dragonair, Nidoking, Haunter and Eevee.

Kanto: Charizard, Nidoking, Ninetales (Both Variants), Arcanine, Alakazam, Gengar, Gyarados, Aerodactyl, Mewtwo

Johto: Typhlosion, Feraligatr, Ampharos, Heracross, Tyranitar, Entei, Ho-Oh

Hoenn: Blaziken, Swampert, Gardevior, Shiftry, Breloom, Flygon, Absol, Crawdaunt, Salamence, Metagross, Latios, Rayquaza

Sinnoh: Infernape, Powerful Staraptor, Garchomp, Lucario, Weavile, Magnezone, Togekiss, Mamoswine, Rotom, Giratina, Heatran, Darkrai

Unova: Conkeldurr, Excadrill, Chandelure, Krookodile, Zoroark, Galvantula, Haxorus, Braviary, Hydreigon, Volcarona, Terrakion, Landorus

Kalos: Greninja, Talonflame, Aegislash, Tyrantrum, Dragalge, Goodra, Noivern, Zygarde, Volcanion

Alola: Decidueye, Vikavolt, Lycanroc, Pallossand, Silvally, Mimikyu, Tapu Koko, Marshadow

Why are ppl not following the OP's format???

5. Vileplume: nice typing, can put stuff to sleep so I can finish them off

4. Wigglytuff: cute af, rather resilient 

3. Vaporeon: my go-to Eevolution, strong and stylish 

2. Ninetales: lovely, ferocious and one of my favorite Pokémon overall 

1. Dragonite: cute appearance but its strength is not cute

My favorite Kanto legendary/mystical Pokémon is Mew. I love its playful nature!

Edited by Candy

Hm... I like most of Gen1 Pokemon and I think that I had the most runs in the corresponding versions, so it is not easy to rank them accordingly. 

5. Alakazam - A powerhouse that you are able to obtain early and easily

4. Articuno - In my opinion the best looking one of the bird trio

3. Charizard - You will always be in my heart for being my first starter

2. Dragonair - The best feeling ever when you have it on lvl 54 and get the level up sound :) 

1. Jolteon - Will always be my favorite Eveelution

24 minutes ago, Candy said:

Why are ppl not following the OP's format???

In their defense, nothing in the title refers to Kanto only. If this is supposed to be the first thread in a series or something, (in retrospect) it would have been wise to put Kanto in the title. With that said, however, reading the opening post would have prevented misconceptions.  Also what's with the quotation marks with the word favorite

As for the topic itself:

• Charizard: I'm such a Charizard fanboy.
  • Aerodactyl: The best fossil mon ever created.
  • Exeggutor: Remember when Exeggutor used to be good? Pepperidge farm remembers.
  • Snorlax: Me irl 
  • Gengar: I like Ghost-types.

As for the Legendary, it's Mewtwo. Used to be my favorite mon as a kid, and I still like it.

With regards to region - NO! - I wanted this thread to take off because...well, personally I like to be verbose. So, I am going to -personally- do one post for each region so I can share images and talk about each Pokémon without having to spoiler lock each and every generation and cause myself carpal tunnel writing more about Pokémon than what I -should- be writing essays over in one sitting. You can talk about any region you want, just so long as it's all Pokémon within one region - unless...

---

With regards to formatting/template - NO! - you don't have to be like me. Some people know all of their favorite Pokémon in the franchise and can put it all into a nice succinct list by generation. You can do that if you want to. I thought I said you could do whatever you wanted here in the original post, but if I didn't - well, sorry about that!

---

With regards to quotation marks, I quoted the word because there is already a "favorite pokemon" thread for general intents and purposes - and I don't want to step on THAT posters toes by having an incredibly similar thread without giving a distinct purpose. I also like to make fun of myself to break the ice, so I figured I would quote it as if it were to be read in a sarcastic manner.

---

So, in order to make sure we're not just talking about Kanto, I'm going to draw a random region from the remaining list....and we're going to Kalos!

5. avalugg-2.gif

Avalugg is actually a Pokémon I haven't used in Generation 6 yet - but it always seems to be an incredibly memorable Pokémon to me. It's probably because Ice types are so rare in general that whenever you see them they actually stand out to one's eye. I think this Pokémon has a very neat and clean aesthetic. It sort of evokes that Mamoswine feeling of monstrously powerful, where the only other ice type to do so is Glalie. It may be slow, but it also has gargantuan defense -and- just enough raw attack power to not be pure set-up fodder for everything competitively (making it a very good Rapid Spin user on Ice monotypes.) It's only real problems are that it doesn't have the same bulk on the special side, and that Avalanche, a move that is dependent on taking damage in the turn, is it's best STAB move available to it.

4. dragalge.gif

Poison and Steel became the new ways to deal with the - as much as I really loathe saying - strongest type in the game offensively, and there are two of such Pokémon on this list. The first of which is Dragalge, which is one of the version exclusive Pokémon (I believe for Pokémon Y). Its a very unique Pokémon in that it's Dragon/Poison, meaning that it only takes Normal damage from the Fairy type while dishing out super effective moves in return. It's also extremely powerful in it's own right, with Adaptability and a great special attacking stat. Water coverage is available (thanks to it's habitat) to deal with problematic Ground types. It's just really cool. I like both this thing and Clawitzer a lot.

3. heliolisk.gif

Heliolisk is a very cool Pokémon. I love that its literally what happens when a lizard and a solar panel have children. As a Pokémon, it has some pretty cool selling points. Dry Skin allows it to soak up water type attacks on the switch in, giving it an immunity and switch advantage when paired with it's own typing, while also being an interesting option on Rain teams because of it's passive healing in the rain while holding an item such as Life Orb or Choice Specs for the extra oomph. It's very fast, making Volt Switch a fantastic momentum option (that it gets by level up!), and it's also a Normal type, giving it another immunity, this time to Ghost. It gets access to Hyper Voice to accompany this type excellently. The only issue with Heliolisk is that if you want it to learn Thunderbolt you will need to train up a Helioptile to level 49 without evolving it. Hassle does end up paying off though.

2. aegislash-2.gif

Alright, I don't like that THIS thing is too good for the Overused tier and Greninja apparently isn't in Gen 7....but whatever. Aegislash is the other Fairyslayer in my list, giving it some pretty high regard. Running into this thing against Wikstrom....was awesome. It actually gave me some trouble with King's Shield, and I really, really, really wanted one in my next playthrough. It's a Pokémon that is good offensively -and- defensively, with the added effect of forcing your opponent to guess if you are switching stances or not. King's Shield effectively causes hesitance to attack it with contact moves such as Fire Fang, and even if you attack it, it being in shield forme would cause it to take very little damage, only for it to swap stances and hurt with Shadow Sneak. With moves like Autotomize and Sword's Dance, this thing can set up as well. It -is- very dangerous, and you probably shouldn't run down the hallway with one in your hands.

1. chesnaught-2.gif

When the starters' images were released, I knew in my heart that I was probably picking Chespin. I did, and I was not disappointed. Grass and Fighting are my two favorite types in all of Pokémon. This Pokémon has the ability to be run defensively or offensively (mostly the former though.) and has a very cool RPG concept that it shares with the other two starter Pokémon in Kalos. Where Greninja is the speedy Rogue, and Delphox is the powerful Mage, Chesnaught represents the Armored Knight/Paladin. It's signature move is Spikey Shield, which causes some damage due to would-be contact attackers while preventing damage taken itself. It's hidden ability Bulletproof makes it actually win a few one-v-ones with Gengar (depending on if it's opting on Shadow Ball/Sludge Bomb for stabs or not and if Chesnaught has a coverage move to deal damage with.) Chesnaught is the only Pokémon in the franchise I have a set nickname for. It's Sloane - which means "strong protector."

Kalos Legendary of Merit

718-2.png

Zygarde was a very "meh" legendary in it's own generation - with it's need to set up and it's quad-weakness to Ice. However, In came Generation 7 and this thing has more functions than a Swiss Army knife. It also turns into a dog, a serpentine dragon, and a MegaZord. I love MegaZords!

Honorable Mentions: Clawitzer, Pangoro, Delphox, Tyrantrum, Talonflame

Johto

#5 - Azumarill - It hits hard. It takes hits well. AND IT'S CUTE. What more do you want? A buff? One of Azumarill's new abilities is Huge Power oh. Well, what now? Another on- Azumarill is now Fairy-type ...jesus GF, just confirm Mega Azumarill already

#4 - Slowking - It looks silly, it takes hits like they're silly, and it learns silly moves (WHY DOES THIS LEARN FIRE BLAST.) Basically it's really silly

#3 - Miltank - While everyone's busy being infuriated by Whitney's Miltank in G/S/C/HG/SS, I'm busy training mine to be even more infuriating. Also, why does this fat friggin' cow have 105 base speed...? That seems unnecessary.

#2 - Feraligatr - It hits hard. It takes hits well. AND IT'S BADASS. What more do you want? A buff? Feraligatr now has the hidden ability Sheer Force you know GF I'm starting to see a trend here with you buffing Johtonian Water-types

#1 - Typhlosion - Nostalgia. And the hopes that one day it'll be able to learn coverage moves.

Well, gens 1 and 2 have some very charismatic mons, a few competitive gems that are still relevant and very fun to play with, so I'll adress those two.

Gen I

Spoiler

1 - Charizard: My first starter ever and my favourite pokémon after Scizor. In Reborn, it's a solid team member throughout the game. With solar power, a timid nature and Sunny Day, the lizard wrecked quite a few boss/gym battles in the game, except Solaris's Chomp (obviously) and Luna's Tyranitar (Ame gibe SoraBeemu/Focus Blast pls). Believe me, it's Heatwaves took a huge chunk from any of Charlotte's mons unfortunate enough to not have Flash Fire. I don't get why some people woud lump it with other lackluster starters because, albeit it requires a little more skill and team building, it's as amazing a special attacker as Tyhplosion, and the immunity to Ground and resistance to Fighting, make Charizard somewhat better than the badger despite the 4x weakness to rock. 

2 - Venusaur: A great pokémon. Venusaur is the f**k Serperior Grass-Type starter, with it's much better movepool. When coupled with growth, Venusaur's cool hidden ability give it huge potential in a sun team. I was very pleased when it became available in E16, because it pairs well with Zard, and I needed a grass type with more presence in my sun team.   

3 - Arcanine: The best word to describe Arcanine is solid. It's performance in battle is consistent, capable of pulling it's own weight regardless of the set. A "bulky" Arcanine will last. An offensive Arcanine will take something down. It's design is simple but rather appealing to me. Best poké-doggo.

4 - Gyarados/Cloyster: Both are cool as all heck and my favourite Water-Types in the whole game. I absolutely love offensive pokémon, and these two can dish out a lot of pain. Once they get their boosts going there's no stalling them. You can still phaze or revenge kill them, but chances are they already murdered one of your pokémon and severely weakened other(s).

5 - Scyther: Cool looking bug. Sharp looking bug. Scythes for arms. Evolves into Scizor. Enough said. 

Gen II

Spoiler

1 - Scizor: My favourite pokémon by virtue of it's cool design and undeniable offensive presence. Capable of taking and dealing heavy hits in return, access to recovery in Roost, can perform a reliable support role despite being an attacker at heart. A consistent wallbreaker and bloodthirsty fairy killer. My precious Crabmantis of Doom.

2 - Skarmory: My second favourite design of all flying types, and a helpful team mate. Entry hazard control? Skarmory does it. Phazing? Skarmory does it. Chip, but significant damage? Skarmory can do it. Nearly twenty years after it's introduction, Skarmory is still my go to wall/tank.

3 - Tyranitar: My second favourite pseudo so far in terms of battling (1st is Godchomp), but the first in terms of design. It looks big, mean and threatening, exactly like something with it's offensive potential should look. But what I really like about Ttar is it's bulk. Seriously, Rock/Dark is an atrocious typing, but that thing can take hits like a real champ and return the hurt in spades. It's dragon dance set can spell doom to anyone who overlooks it.

4 - Espeon: One of the very few Psychic types I use, and to me, the cream of the crop of eevee's evolutions, being a powerful offensive presence that can also try it's paws as a supporter. It's cute design isn't forced or exaggerated as with most other cutemons. Simple yet aesthetically pleasing. 

5 - Lugia: Not an offensive mon, but used to be excellent in what it was meant to do. The reason for me to include it in this list however, is a very strong personal bias, which stems from Lugia's emblematic role in the second movie, as well as it's simple yet beautiful design. Gamefreak really needs  to show it some love btw, because with every new gen after Unova it's lost more and more significance, and is starting to feel really stale in battle.

Honorable mentions:

Houndoom: Cool design and even though it's mega faces some competition it still could be considered.

Umbreon: Nice support and reliable cleric. One of my favourite designs among dark types.

Crobat: Brave bat.

Sneasel: Weavile in the making, therefore deserves love.

This seems like a fun topic! Here's what I have for the regions you put down so far:

Kanto

Spoiler

Ah, Kanto. You've aged like cheese, but I still think you're one of the best regions in the series. It's design is open-world enough to encourage exploration. It also helps that it's the most revisited region each generation, but still, I have a lot of memories with this one. Here are my five favorites:

5) Gengar

The original ghost type. Gengar has always been a neat design with his grim smirk and mischievous demeanor. It also helps that Gengar has always been a top tier threat due to his speed and special attack.

4) Snorlax

Who doesn't love this guy? While his defenses leave a lot to be desired, Snorlax makes for an incredible special wall. He has pulled me through so many battles, and his tanking style always appealed to me.

3) Flareon

Flareon may suck in battle, but this is my favorite Eeveelution ever. It's design is really appealing, and absolutely adorable. I used one in my Fire Red run, and it pulled through for me big time.

2) Raichu

The actual best electric rodent from generation 1. Poor Raichu never gets any love, and has even been mostly forgotten by Nintendo (because let's be frank, even if Alolan Raichu is neat, Pikachu still got another form in Ash Pikachu, as well as its own Z move). However, he has always come up clutch for me in the main battles.

1) Vileplume

My all time favorite Pokemon until generation 3. This team member was the first I got to level 100 (even if it was a game shark). I loved using it's Sleep Powder + Solar Beam combo, and this strategy helped me through so many battles in Pokemon Stadium

Legendary Mention) Mewtwo

Let's be honest: we all loved blowing away our friends with this guy. Mewtwo's backstory is one of the most unique the Pokemon series has ever seen, and it's nice to see something executed so well.

Kalos

Spoiler

While X and Y were a bit too easy for my likings, I believe that Kalos had the overall strongest generation of Pokemon. It was about quality over quantity, and with the exception of three, we really got an amazing generation. Having said that, only five can make this list:

5) Florges

I recently started using one in Reborn, and I love it to death. She is an amazing special wall, and will be useful for my Elite Four run.

4) Greninja

This is easily one of the best generation of starters we've been graced with. All of them play out the RPG classes they represent very well. However, I'm going to give this spot to Greninja because of his competitive prowess.

3) Aegislash

Two words: King's Shield.

2) Noivern

On my Reborn team, my Noivern is clutch! He pulled me through so many in game and wifi battles alike! I love using his speed to overwhelm my opponents!

1) Chesnaught

That's right, my Rejuvenation starter is making the top of this list. I love his brawler origins, and how goofy he looks! I love his tanks stats, even if his typing is subpar. I love Spiky Shield, as well as the utility it has. Most of all, I just love using the guy. He's my second favorite starter ever (which means a lot, since he beat out Blastoise, my first starter ever, for that spot).

Legendary Mention) No one

They are good, but none of them stick out to me too much.

Edited by Filthy Casual

In that case:

Kanto:

5. Alakazam - A powerhouse that you are able to obtain early and easily

4. Articuno - In my opinion the best looking one of the bird trio

3. Charizard - You will always be in my heart for being my first starter

2. Dragonair - The best feeling ever when you have it on lvl 54 and get the level up sound :) 

1. Jolteon - Will always be my favorite Eveelution

Johto:

5. Espeon - I like Psychic types and Eevee... guess how it got into the ranking :) 

4. Scizor - Well, I like the design and the type

3. Feraligatr - First starter in this version

2. Kingdra - It was the best type in this Gen and hard to obtain

1. Raikou - Imagine this...

I just got the 5th badge and had to decide which way I need to take for the next badge.

I took the way to the left, was moving with my first step into the tall grass and got an encounter. (at that point I thought: damn encounter rates...) 

A second later... holy ****, a random level 40 encounter :). (I was scared as ****)

Hoenn:

5. Gardevoir - Early Psychic type...

4. Ludicolo - That thing was awesome against rain teams

3. Metagross - Physical psychic type. 

2. Regice - Forever Ice Cream!!!

1. Slaking - Sleeping One Punch Man

Sinnoh:

5. Empoleon - A majestic penguin and also my first starter in the region

4. Staraptor - THAT THING IS AWESOME

3. Lucario - Hype...

2. Gallade - Do I even need to say anything?

1. Luxray - I dont know why, but I like it since I have captured a Shinx for the first time

Unova:

5. Gigalith - A "solid" Pokemon (terrible pun)

4. Leavanny - Eat this, dark types!

3. Reuniclus - :) 

2. Chandelure - It has a nice move pool, hits pretty hard and I had no Dusk Stone...

1. Elektross - Seriously, why would you give Levitate to a type that has one weakness?

Kalos:

5. Meowstic - It has even 2 different designs 

4. Female Pyroar - A fire breathing lion with long hair (the male one looks just not that great to me)

3. Malamar - I like the idea of evolving it upside down

2. Greninja - Design, move pool, ability, stats, ...

1. Delphox - What does the Fox say?

Alola:

5. Primarina - It just looks cute

4. Salazzle - The idea for the evolution is weird and makes no sense to me, but I like the ability and design

3. Lycanroc - Nice design, Stealth Rocks and a priority move

2. Silvally - It can be whatever type you need... Psychic, Psychic, Psychic!!!

1. Tapu Lele - Psychic Terrain :)

I love your posts OP, it's always nice to see indepth explanations for picks in these sorts of threads.

I'll start with gen 1 as well.

Spoiler

Spr_2c_091.png

5) Cloyster - This guy was pretty beast in gen 1 due to its decent special stat and his insane defense, and I remember my best friend in 4th grade LOVED this guy. In gen 2 the special split brought one of the most drastic stat nerfs in pokemon history: cloyster's special defense became abysmal to where even pichu could OHKO it. Provided you were up against physical threats, Cloyster could still put in work but he was no longer quite as monster  as he was before. It would be gen 4  where Cloyster would get his now signature skill link/icicle crash combo and gen 5's shell smash completing the smash n crash combination, one of my favorite strats. This guy was a huge boon in gen 5's PWT as well, especially for my monowater team(which was able to beat even the champ's ladder!) On another note, I love how psychotic Cloyster's gen 2 sprites look, too bad his later sprites aren't as good.

Spr_4h_026_m.png

4) Raichu - the underrated and underappreciated evo of pikachu who sadly was overshadowed by his prevo for nearly two decades, I always liked Raichu more and unlike pikachu was actually useful entire game. I like his colors more and think his tail is pretty cool looking. Probably my favorite "pikafam" until his Alolan counterpart came into play, I still kind of prefer base Raichu's color scheme a bit more. Funnily enough I drew one in a doubles random last night and he ended up playing a crucial part in me winning. 

Spr_2c_094.png

3) Gengar - AKA the #1 ghost, Gengar is immensely popular to where even ken sugimori has said it's his personal favorite. With being a high tier force in every gen it's easy to see why, Gengar is a killer force with an amazing movepool, a cool typing(albeit counter-intuitive in gen 1), great stats for his job and he looks pretty cool. PesonallyI likehis gen 2 sprite most as the colors and pose made him look extra sinister. The duller purple used later on isn't as flattering. I gotta say, I really don't like his mega at all. The 3rd eye comes out of nowhere and just looks tacked on, his head shape looks goofy and I'm not sure if the direction of progression his megaevolution had on him is even fitting. OG Gengar is where it's at.

Spr_5b_036.png

2)Clefable - another one of those pokemon I didn't like too much initially, it was around gen 4 I started to respect and pay attention to Clefable, and in gen 6 where i really started to like it. I remember in my 2nd or 3rd Reborn playthrough where she was able to beat Solaris' Garchomp and that moment right there certified her as a favorite of mine, though gen 7 has taken her down a few notches for me personally. She has all sorts of neat little tricks she can use and is quite versatile as well, making her an awesome and enjoyable pokemon to use. I think her design could be better but she's still cute looking enough for a fairy.

Spr_5b_034.png

1) Nidoking - Can't go wrong with DA KING. Easily one of Kanto's most badass, fun to use, and coolest designed mons, Nidoking has remained a favorite  of mine over the years. He's my favorite poison type(alongside scolipede, A-muk and drapion) even today and has one hell of a moveset. Now truthfully I'm still not entirely sure what Nidoking is even supposed to be biologically, but I figure it's supposed to be a kaiju based off Baragon(Nidoing looks significantly cooler though) which explains its bizarre moveset and fits with a number of gen 1 mons being kaiju inspired. Its poison/ground typing remains unique and sort of exncapulates the general aesthetic of these types, being an edgy, tough looking,  monstrous monstrosity that looks like it could mess you up with minimal effort. Nidoking's reign as Kanto's king continues on, and will never be topped for me anytime soon.

honorable mentions: Slowbro, scyther, aerodactyl, Hypno,Jynx

I'll follow Op and go with gen 6. I'm counting megas as gen 6 because otherwise this list would be pretty dire since I'm not fond of gen 6 too much overall.

Spoiler

Spr_6x_700.png

5: Sylveon - The premiere fairy type and probably the most popular one, Sylveon is one of the stronger eeveelutions who is well at what she does and embodies her type pretty well. While she gets flack for not looking eeveelution enough from haters, I feel this is totally disingenuous as Umbreon/Espeon are just as different if not more compared to the other eeveelutions, with Espeon being the only cat like eeveelution and Umbreon's eyes being drawn in a style that isn't shared with the others. Sylveon does fairy-type eeveelution well design wise though I can see how it might be too girly for some folks.  In battle she's very good, and I will never forget how sylveon solo'd half of redemption Nick's team in doubles, she was just too tough to take down. It's kind of sad to note that she was the last cross-gen actual evolution we got, and the only one for that gen too <_<

Spr_6x_707.png

4: Klefki - one of the most creative pokemon in the series IMO, I fell in love with this little guy the minute I saw them. Initially written off as a novelty mon, Klefki made a name for itself when it took prankster shenanigans to all new levels. He's the ultimate troll in battle and probably a big reason prankster got nerfed via dark's immunity to it. I really like its concept and design too, it's very fairy-esque but striking andplays into the urban fantasy aspect of pokemon really well. It feels very organic in its implementation into pokemon's world. I also love it for helping me win like the only other battle in pokenations I did actually win, since prankster heal block shut down conkledurr pretty nicely.

Spr_6x_658.png

3: Greninja - Kalos' hero, this guy is pretty much the mascot of gen 6. Now delphox I feel is underrated but Greninja was easily the standout starter this time around and introduced one of the best abilities in the game.  Just a very fun pokemon use with an incredible design, Greninja deserves every bit of hype he gets.

Spr_6x_448M.png

2: MegaLucario - now megas...I'm not crazy about them but some megas are definitely cool in my book, and Megacario was the first. This guy is so beastly he had to be banned, and he took an already awesome pokemon and managed to make him even more badass. Megacario is just the embodiment of cool even if he does in a way embody everything wrong with megas in terms of metagame, in that he's overcentralizing.

Spr_7s_428M.png

1: MegaLoppuny - No doubt one of my favorite pokemon ever. Megalopunny took a pokemon I already liked, made her insanely good and insanely cool.  She gained a unique typing(at the time), got my favorite typing, and got an incredible ability which makes sure something is getting hurt when she's out on the field. The ripped panty-hose leg patterns is sick and I love how she goes from this coquettish fanservicey pokemon to this grrl power street-scrappin amazon. Would be cool if she could learn bulk up to complete the aesthetic but ah well.

Gen 2 here we go!

Spoiler

Spr_2c_215.png

5. Sneasel - I fell in love with this design the minute I saw it and to me it's still a very slick and cool design. Its typing doesn't fit its design too well(there's nothing icy about it) but I can forgive since it's a unique typing and still a cool mon. I love its idle pose in gen 6, badass arm fold ftw.

Spr_5b_181.png

4. Ampharos - One of my favorite electric types and a great finish to Mareep's line, Ampharos has a nice color scheme, is fun to use and was quite awesome in-game for gen 2. Admittedly I feel thunderpunch should've been switched out for different move in later gens since it can't utilize it well anymore but whatever. Now truthfully I dislike its mega. While finally getting the dragon typing is cool, there's zero reason as to why they couldn't have just retconned that typing before(which they should've done in the first place) and it's a pretty underwhelming transforming. The hair just looks really goofy and almost feels like a parody. And the silly memes don't make it any better. Mehga ampharos is more like it.

Spr_5b_227.png

3.Skarmory - another very cool looking pokemon, this guy is consistently good across all games competitively and for good reason, he writes the book on smart  defensive play. I love how hard it can be to take this guy down and how effective he is at what he does.  Plus he looks amazing.

Spr_5b_212_m.png

2. Scizor - no doubt one of the most popular bug types of all time, Scizor is a really evolution or alternalution since they have the same BST to scyther. Initially I didn't get how blades -> pincers was an improvement, but flying -> steel for a secondary type is a definite improvement. In gen 2 scizor while cool was a tad boring IMO as his only steel move was metal claw(ew), but gen 4 gave him bullet punch and technician, and able to learn roost which made him a LOT better and fun to use. Once again though, I find myself not a fan of his mega, in this case being that it's just really ugly. It's tanky and useful but ruins scizor's aesthetic completely IMO, which you just don't do to such a good looking pokemon.

Spr_2c_160.png

1. Feraligtr - my favorite starter until gen 4, and my favorite water starter until gen 6, this guy has fallen but is still a favorite of mine across gens.  I always found him better in-game during Johto compared to typhlosion since typh's level up moveset is pretty meh, and feraligtr was useful due to bite which allowed him to take on morty's gym with less trouble than the other starters. It looks really ferocious too, or it did in gen 2. Later gens progressively softened up his design which I personally am not a fan of, and he tends to look a bit derpy at times in comparison. Regardless this guy still kicks butt and I'm hoping we see an awesome mega from him someday...ultra sun/moon? You guys hiding something? I hope so!

Edited by Monochrome_Complex

I like to break things up, so I'll start with Kanto: 

5. Persian: I've always loved cats, so a sleek and elegant kitty was bound to appeal to me. Its personality isn't very favourable, but that's what nurture over nature is for, assuming it works on Pokémon (considering we've seen species, like that evil Togepi, act "out of character", I'm inclined to believe it does). I also remember using on in the original Pokémon Stadium, and with the mechanics of the first gen, it wrecked things. That speed + Slash always landing crits was quite powerful back in the day. Needless to say, I liked using it. 

4. Seel: This guy literally came out of nowhere last summer and became one of my favourites. I always liked it, but playing Go really helped the seal go up in my rankings. Plus, I started liking the actual animal more and more, which reflected well on Seel. I just wish its line was more usable, and Dewgong really does deserve a Mega. Maybe one day... 

3. Butterfree: Butterfree was my favourite Pokémon for a spell when I was younger, and I really like the purple butterfly to this day. I made sure to get its plush, back in the retro days. I also remember my dad buying me a Butterfree card one Friday in the 3rd grade, as a random surprise. I was so happy, and still have the card to this day.

Spoiler

error-misprint-1st-edition-d-butterfree-

829ae6b66d4f9408fc428f361370734d--plushi

Not my pics, but these are the ones! 

2. Vulpix's line: I've had a soft spot for foxes for a long time, so that helped these two stand out. I like their lore, their being able to learn some ghost attacks, their fluffiness, their types (fire can be a hard time to fill for me), their grace, and of course, their epicness. I remember forming a team of Vulpix one time in Silver, trying to train them up was a nightmare, haha. I also had a toy Vulpix that would "talk", but its tails fell off, leaving me quite sad. I think I still have the body, haha. 

1. EEVEE!: No surprise here, this fluffy fox-feline creature is my #1. I used to think its legs were all attached together because of the way it was depicted in the early official art, and I was a happy camper when I was proven wrong by the anime. My mom ended up getting me the VHS with the Eevee bros. eppy on it, and I re-watched it so many times, haha. I also have a bunch of Eevee merch, from a shirt, to plushies, to water bottles. One of the things I really like about this Pokémon is that, because of its many evolutions, it can fit on almost any team. Good ol' reliable Eevee! 

Honourable mentions go to: 

Squirtle: My go to Kanto starter, there's no beating my Shelby! I even got a crocheted Squirtle to celebrate my starter in Go. 

Clefairy/Clefable: I've always like this one, and getting the fairy typing only made it better! I always like to picture Leaf with one, as it was supposed to be the mascot. In another world, maybe. 

Oddish: It's cute, and I like it a fair bit, but the main reason it makes this list is because of an in-joke my bf and I have. Basically, an event led us to calling Yokomon "Pink Oooodish", and it's become one of our favourite "I dunno what to say now, so I'll say this" lines. 

Note that I purposefully excluded the Eeveelutions, who would have hogged the third (Vappy), fourth (Flare), and fifth (Jolt) spots. I wanted to make this a bit more diverse then that cx

Kanto: Blastoise (first starter), Nidoking (cool but bad natural movepool), Mega Beedrill;

Johto: Espeon (best eeveelution by far), Heracross, Crobat, Togepi (Metronome shenanigans);

Hoenn: Gardevoir (waifu), Shedinja, Blaziken, Sceptile, Swampert, Milotic, Flygon, Latias;

Sinnoh: Infernape, Staraptor, Vespiquen (cool but bad stats), Lopunny (waifu #2), Roserade, Garchomp, Toxicroak;

Unova: Excadrill, Leavanny, Scolipede, Hydreigon, Volcarona, Haxorus;

Kalos: Greninja, Goodra, Noivern;

Alola: Primarina, Ribombee, Salazzle

Just a heads up - I made this thread with REGIONS in mind, as opposed to GENERATIONS of the game. The reason for this is to offer Pokémon that would be FOUND in said region should someone who wants to restart their journey want to know what kinds of Pokémon their peers like and try to use them.

While you can definitely use Mega Lopunny in the sixth generation (merely an example), you probably wont find Lopunny as readily available -and- it's Mega stone in Kalos.

That being said, if you want to keep citing it by Generations (and if there isn't a thread for that) it's cool. I just wanted to help out those who might look to this thread for playthrough reference.

---

Today I'm going to talk about my favorite Pokémon from the most underrated region of all time, Unova.

The Unova region is based off of the metropolitan area of New York City, found in the United States. Many of the Pokémon are designed by this concept. Unova also is home to actual seasons, which impact which Pokémon appear during the time of year in game and the way some of the appear.

5. beartic.gif

I used Beartic in my first White run because I thought Cubchoo was a very well designed Pokémon. It struggles due to being slow and having a poor defensive typing, but Swift Swim allows Beartic to fix such deficiency in the rain and allows it to take advantage of it's decent coverage. As of Generation 7, it also picked up Slush Rush, which increased its viability due to now being able to fit on more teams. On Rain teams you can use Beartic as a way to take out problematic Grass types. On Hail squads you can now use Beartic to sweep while opponents are taking passive damage Beartic is immune to. Once it gets going, it plays right into the way I like to play, hitting very hard and going very fast. Appearance-wise, Cubchoo's frozen snot works very well with it's name - and reminds me of the many many times I had the sniffles growing up. Beartic's icicle beard reminds me again, of me. This time adult me dealing with facial that feels as ridiculous as this icicle beard looks.

4. braviary.gif

AMEERICAAAAA~ ....*ahem*. Yeah, Braviary. I intentionally suffered through training up Rufflet just to use this Pokémon on my team. It's a good Physical attacker that fits it's American-based setting on TWO aesthetic points. The Red-White-Blue appearance reflects the American flag, paying homage to Unova's New York roots. However, the headdress on it's head goes deeper than that, reflecting Native American culture. It's not only 'Murica bird. It's a Native 'Murican bird. Hail to the Chief. It gets two really neat non-hiddens in Defiant and Sheer Force. Defiant is the more commonly run competitive ability because it takes advantage of Intimidate users while Braviary will want to just click Brave Bird and Return over using secondary effect moves boosted by Sheer Force.

3. serperior.gif

Serperior was simply the sleekest starter of the three, and one could argue that Grass (in my opinion) has been in contention for having the best designed starter from this generation on to Rowlett and Gen 7. The aesthetic for the Pokémon suits my attitude. See, Smugleaf here is a bit of a snob. It's hidden ability Contrary not only makes it incredibly scary after a couple of Leaf Storm clicks or opponent misplays, but that also suits me, an avid contrarian. It suffers a lot due to not being available to be starting out with Contrary in the main games, making Snivy much less able to deal with certain threats in game (Burgh) by itself. However, my first Gen 5 bounce-back memory was selecting this Pokémon after having been burned out by the franchise, and in a lot of ways, it's thanks to Serperior for pulling me back in.

2. krookodile.gif

The Sandile line has a particularly opportunistic placement in Unova. It can be found reliably often in the sandstorm desert routes just to the south of Nimbasa City, which plays host to the beautiful Elesa and her Electric type Gym. That probably means you might have chanced Sandile on your team to prepare for the battle ahead, particularly if you were one of the six people that picked Tepig as a starter (I was not.) Krookodile takes it's design from the crocodile, which is a common reptile in some areas of the United States, and a cartoon burglar. The more interesting Pokedex entries of this Pokémon state that it can see very far due to the lenses of it's eyes, which just makes me jealous having poor eyesight of my own. It's...it's got a great level up movepool and it's field abilities are better than it's hiddens. Intimidate is a good ability because it kneecaps the opponents attack on the switch in. Moxie is a good ability because it boosts Krookodile's attack every time it faints a Pokémon, which will be great for Elesa once you take out her pesky Emolga.

1. druddigon-2.gif

At the end of the day - sometimes the coolest Dragon type Pokémon isn't the Psuedo legendary. Druddigon is much inferior to Hydreigon, but it also takes a lot less effort to train up. My Unova team happened to consist of monsters that required a lot of effort (Chandelure, Beartic, Serperior, Krookodile, and Jellicent) and it needed something that was more plug and play. I was able to put some good TMs on this behemoth and get rolling. Finally, it was Druddigon that made me fall in love with the RarelyUsed competitive tier in Smogon, with it's access to Sheer Force as an ability, and things like Gunk Shot for dealing with Fairies coming in on the switch and Sucker Punch to nullify it's poor speed. It gets Fire Punch to deal with incoming Ice types, and does get Outrage by level up. Putting a Life Orb on this thing hurts.

UNOVA LEGENDARY OF MERIT

virizion.gif

The Three Swordsman pretty much all could go here, but I can only pick one Pokémon. Virizion has my two favorite types all in one Pokémon, it looks fierce, it comes with my favorite battle theme for a non-box legendary ever, and you can run it special or physical. Not only can you use it both ways, but it gets both Calm Mind and Swords Dance access, meaning that you can set it up both ways to sweep. This thing is good.

Honorable Mentions: Galvantula, Conkeldurr, Eelektross, Samurott, Unfeazant, Darmanitan

Kanto: Gengar, Venusaur, Lapras, Nidoking, Gyarados. Legendary: Mew.

Johto: Feraligatr, Crobat, Ampharos, Kingdra, Scizor. Legendary: Raikou.

Hoenn: Blaziken, Swampert, Sceptile (Best starters ever), Exploud, Salamence. Legendary: Rayquaza.

Sinnoh: Torterra, Staraptor, Magnezone, Drapion, Mamoswine. Legendary: Giratina.

Unova: Golurk, Gigalith, Scolipede, Haxorus, Galvantula. Legendary: Zekrom.

Kalos: Chesnaught, Tyrantrum, Pangoro, Aegislash, Clawitzer. Legendary: Volcanion.

Alola: Lurantis, Vikavolt, Golisopod, Toucannon, Mimikyu. Legendary: Lunala.

Favorite Mega Evolution: Mega Gengar.

Edited by D4rk_R0gue

@Chase: Thanks for clearing up the region thing. I guess you could fill hawlucha between sylveon and klefki.

Moving on to Hoenn! 

Spoiler

Spr_5b_336.png

5. Seviper - the signature pokemon of pike queen lucy, seviper was one of the first hoenn pokemon that really caught my eye. I really liked its colors and striking design, to me being a good deal more intricate looking than arbok. My first experience with gen 3 proper was emerald, and i used one who actually performed pretty well despite its limitations. I'm not a fan of its stat distribution much(slow and squishy are never a good mix) but I love it as a pokemon and would love to see it get a mega or regional variant somewhere down the road.

Spr_5b_302.pngSpr_6o_302M.png

4: (mega)Sableye - originally a novelty mon, sabeleye was the first NO WEAKNESS pokemon we got, which made it pretty cool. It's got a sleek design too and feels like it'd be a nice partner pokemon for a doujin series or something, being a natural prankster and not evolving. Speaking of prankster, prankster sableye is very fun to use and massively annoying for opponents, who risk being crippled if they can't take it out quickly. These days pranking isn't as useful and fairy has made sableye easier to deal with, but mega-sableye still continues to be a good defensive mon, though personally I find it less fun to use. It's a pretty good mega-design though, one of the better ones to be sure, both aesthetically and functionally.

Spr_4d_386.pngSpr_4d_386A.pngSpr_4d_386D.pngSpr_4d_386S.png

3: Deoxys - no doubt one of the coolest legendaries we've got, Deoxys felt like the new generation mewtwo, but unique enough to not feel like a rehash. While not all that intuitive to use in battle due to the squishy and extreme-leanings of each form, it's still a conceptually awesome pokemon with a memorable design. ORAS had a cool use of it in the story but they could've made the battle a LOT better. TBH I kind of dislike how Deoxys has to constantly job to rayquaza and admittedly it's made me like rayquaza just a tad bit less lol. I think attack form is my favorite deoxys form.

Spr_5b_303.pngSpr_6x_303M.png

2: (mega)mawile - another hoenn mon I fell in love with at first site, mawile is probably one of the coolest yokai based mons we had. Her mega should've just been an evolved form(though this applies to a lot of them) but it's one of the best looking and organic feeling megas we've gotten. It's also INSANELY good, taking a rather underpowered pokemon and turning it into a pretty overpowered one. My last ORAS playthrough she and swampert alone powered through 85% of the main game. The last 15% was only because I was bored of only using two pokemon, they probably could've taken the rest as well lol. I was pleasantly surprised when she got the fairy typing, however I feel like mawile should've always been dark type? Deceiver pokemon? Learns several dark type moves? Has a deceptive nature? Never understood that.

Spr_5b_308_m.png Spr_6x_308M.png

1: Medicham - It was gen 3 when I started to respect the fighting type, and medicham was partly why. He had a neat concept and cool typing, and while kind of odd its design was still appealing to me,it was memorable. However it was its ability that won me over: medicham looks weak at first, but hits like a truck.  That pure powered HJK is something you will feel- HARD. To be honest, I actually used him in diamond first since I played gen 3 after gen 4 but he ended up being quite impressive. Its mega is basically medicham with the stats he ought to have had originally, but with the really good ability attached still, making for a pokemon you do NOT want to be hit by. I like the concept behind megacham and think it's pretty cool looking, though not my favorite mega.

honorable mentions: sceptile, Gardevoir, metagross, salamence, shiftry

Edited by Monochrome_Complex

Gen 5, huh? That'll be a fun one to make! Here's who I've got:

Spoiler

I'm not going to lie: I don't like this region. They put in a lot of quantity over quality. However, there are still a fair amount of Pokemon in this region I adore. Here is who I have:

5) Darmanitan

This thing hits like a truck! It's just something you use when you want to have fun. It's the only other member on my White team I liked (other than Lilligant, but she didn't make this list).

4) Krookodile

Moxie takes lives. It's also fun that Krookodile learns a wide variety of moves, allowing him optimal coverage. In Omicron, he was my most reliable member by far.

3) Leavanny

I have a shiny one in Reborn, and I love her so much! Her typing isn't great, but her attack is awesome!

2) Gigalith

This guy was a staple on my Insurgence team. I love his design and move pool. He also makes an excellent tank, and I personally love tanks. Mine won me the battle against Nyx's ace simply because of Rocky Helmet.

1) Beartic

Honestly, numbers three to one switch a fair amount. However, I chose Beartic because of what an incredible asset he's been on my Reborn team. He hits like a truck, gets a good amount of moves (although mainly through breeding), and has a great design. This is a Pokemon I'd love to have in my box if I had a core team.

Favorite legendaries: none

This game is oversaturated with legendaries, and as such, I don't think any of them deserve a mention. As such, I'm going to include some of my favorites (which didn't get mentioned) and least favorites from this region.

Honorable Favorites: Liligant, Crustle, Sigilyph, Emboar

Dishonorable Mentions: everything else (in case you can't tell, I really don't like this generation)

Spoiler

Spr_5b_561.png

5: Sigilyph- originally scolipede was here BUT I remembered sigilyph and sorry scol, but sigilyph. AKA The gatekeeper as reborn calls it(for some reason), this guy is one of the most bizarre looking pokemon(though conceptually awesome, I'd love a regional bug/psychic variant based off the Nazca spider) we've gotten. Not only that but it can be an absolute headache to fight against and become seemingly unkillable if you make the mistake of letting it cosmic power too much. Some people don't get its design but I personally loved it the minute I saw it.  No doubt my favorite psychic type.

PCP625.png

4: bisharp - the literal edgelord of pokemon, this guy is so edgy just touching them causes you to bleed. With the most METAL typing in the game, this guy is like a samurai outta hell to heed your beckon and call. Defiant laughs in the face of intimidaters, sucker punch gives it a priority STAB, and with a swords dance it turns super dangerous and capable of massive bloodbaths.

PCP553.png

3: Krookadile - gen 5 sure did have a lot of cool dark types huh? Krookadile is my favorite ground type(alongside Nidoking, Garchomp, and Mamoswine) and was my favorite pokemon in desolation. Intimidate is fun but moxie where the party REALLY happens, because Krookdaile just won't stop once he gets started. In addition I really like its gen 5 backsprite, he just looks ready to rip foes apart.

Spr_5b_620.png

2: Mienshao - most fighting types tend to be pretty gonky or odd looking, and fewer have a sense of grace. So Mienshao really set itself apart with its elegant appearence. It can't take a hit much but it hits fast and hard, and with u-turn regenerator can safely retreat away . It can learn the ever sought out drain punch, which makes it my favorite breeding partner for my number one pick and maybe favorite pokemon of all...

PCP560.png

1: scrafty - Unova's all american gangsta, Scrafty not only is my personal unova favorite, but my favorite pokemon of them all! I wrote it off as trash at first when I didn't get its design, but once I did it really demonstrated GF's genius when it comes to their pokemon designs. It's honestly one of the most creative pokemon in the series and oozes personality and style. It's quite good in battle(though fairy admittedly put a hamper on things) and can be used in a variety of ways as well. Oh and it has moxie, perhaps my favorite ability in pokemon.

Honorable mentions: Scolipede, conkledurr, escavalier, ferrothorn, eelektross, Victini, Darmanitan, Volcarona, Sawsbuck, Simisage, Klinklang

Had to put gen 5-er excuse me UNOVA  here because I couldn't edit images into my previous post for some reason. This was my favorite gen and I always felt the quantity over quality complaint from its critics was silly since you get quality pokemon regardless of quantity.

Alright, it appears that Kalos is next up

5. Viviliion. The not-so-demonic butterfly was a poor Butterfree to me at first. That's not to say I disliked it, but this insect just didn't do it for me at first. However, things started to stack in its favour, including: the regional wing patters (Reborn's is amazing, may I add), good moveset, and actual usability. I managed to keep one on my X team for a while, and did the same in Desolation. Flutter saved me a lot early on, in both games. 

4. Goomy. I didn't jump on the bandwagon, the bandwagon stopped and pulled me on! I didn't think too much of Goomy at first, but it just started to grow on me. Plus, all the Goomy merch on Pokémon Centre is/was so fun and cute. Resistance was futile after that... 

3. Braixen. After I saw this awesome fox witch, I was convinced I'd be starting with Fennekin. The idea was just so cool, and they pulled the look off just right (plus, that wand in the tail = genius). If only I could say the same for Delphox (spoiler, I REALLY dislike Delphox). 

2. Boweon. I detested Eevee's fairy evolution when it was first revealed. I really didn't like how they made it so "girly", and I wasn't feeling the feelers. However, as I needed a fairy type in X, and Eevee was right there, I opted to give it a shot. Boweon did not disappoint, despite having a poor nature. Let's just say my opinion changed rather quickly, and it now ranks among my favourite Eeveelutions. I must admit, I do find it adorable now as well, but Boweon's strengh is was really shines in my eyes. 

1. Espurr's line. It's cute. It's creepyish. It's a kitten. It's none other than the grey kitty: Espurr. I've always been of a fan of this Pokémon's design, typing, and mid-game potential. Sadly, its line falls behind later on, though Prankster Meowstic does have a niche for itself. I really wish these guys had better stats/a third evo, but I <3 them all the same. Honestly, behind Eevee and select Eeveelutions, Espurr is ranks second in terms of my all time favourites. As a bonus, I find its cry adorable. And, as a double bonus, I managed to get a shiny male Espurr in Reborn. He had a neutral nature and good IVs. I was a very happy camper, and I may or may not have squee'd... 

Best Leggie: Xereas. This colourful fairy deer is probably my favourite legendary Pokémon to date. I associate myself with deer, I really like fairy-types, and I do find it has an elegant design. And, if that wasn't enough, Xenreas has an epic association; life. May I also add it pwns shite, and pwns them hard. 

Honourable mentions:

Chespin. My favourite base form of the Kalos starters, and the Pokémon I used in my first run of the region. I was very pleased with the experience, and had a lot of fun trolling with Spiky Shield when Rozenn became a Chesnaught. 

Greninja. Protean + being a ninja. Need I say more? 

Litleo/Pyroar. Fire lions! I only wish they had better typing and stats... 

Fletchling. Robins are among my favourite birds, and this guy is so lovable. Plus, it becomes the once feared Talonflame, which boasted a solid typing and Gale Wings. RIP, fearsome blaze bird. 

Edited by Star Arcana