Fairy Mono-type run.

Damien

My first time doing this so I am a BIT concerned. But should I do a Fairy mono-type run on Reborn? If so what team? I am thinking of doing this Ep. 17 so that I have a better selection but I am thinking of my first 3. If ya have 3 more suggestions toss em' in and if they are GOOD suggestions I will copy them onto a notepad.

Ribombee

Gardevoir

Mawile

52 minutes ago, Damien said:

My first time doing this so I am a BIT concerned. But should I do a Fairy mono-type run on Reborn? If so what team? I am thinking of doing this Ep. 17 so that I have a better selection but I am thinking of my first 3. If ya have 3 more suggestions toss em' in and if they are GOOD suggestions I will copy them onto a notepad.

Ribombee

Gardevoir

Mawile

primarina for obvious surf/waterfall reasons, togekiss for fly of course, and mimikyu just cuz it's cute 

edit credit to filthy casual for primarina over azumarill

Edited by Sapphire Mahala

*grabs out his notes on every fairy type in the game*

Ahem:

Clefable, stall breaker, bulky, great mon

Togekiss, Evil, Togeflinch

Azu, It's Azu, need I even explain why Azu is great?

Granbull, physical attacker, good move-pool

Florgess, special wall, support moves

Sylveon, PIXELATE HYPERVOICE

Klefki, duh

Primarina, not an amazing fairy, but it's the best you got early game. best replaced with Azu later for obvious reasons (sorry to burst bubbles, but compared to Azu Primarina is bad)

Comfey, stally mon

Mimikyu, see Klefki and Azu for reasoning, Kevin cares not

those would be the best you could pick from, there are some I'd say would be better left unused on this list, but you can't throw hissy-fits on what mons to use in reborn so I won't mention them (Spoiler alert! Primarina is one of them)

6 minutes ago, Jess said:

@Wolfox How dare you not include Ribombee...

simple jess, ribombee was already mentioned in the opening post, thus there was no need for me to post it a second time. if I were to include the ones in the opening post I would have had a few paragraths on why Gardevoir should be there 100%

Just now, Wolfox said:

simple jess, ribombee was already mentioned in the opening post, thus there was no need for me to post it a second time. if I were to include the ones in the opening post I would have had a few paragraths on why Gardevoir should be there 100%

True! I keep scrolling to the last post way faster than I should xD

it seems you do

@Seal you would be surprised, as Alolan Ninetales works better on Ice Type Teams due to hail being negative to all but ice types, and fairies don't like DoT on themselves

Edited by Wolfox

4 hours ago, Wolfox said:

best replaced with Azu later for obvious reasons (sorry to burst bubbles, but compared to Azu Primarina is bad)

The thing I don't understand is why people comepare stuff like this only because they share a typing when the 2 serve completly different roles. Primarina is a bulky hard hitting special attacker that has access to a decent ammount of support moves (like dual screens via tm) and Azumaril is a fast physical sweeper.

1 hour ago, EndearingCharacterTrait said:

Only thing is the fairies already mostly prefer Sp Attack so a physical mon is less common, and therefore more valuable in this case 

EXACTLY! Physical fairy types that work well are rare, which is why Azu outclasses Primarina and even Tapu Fini to an extent. You'll have enough moonblasts or d-gleams in a fairy mono team, thus that side of primarina's stab is already rendered kinda outclassed. meaning all it really brings is screens, which Klefki provides better, and surf/hydro pump. and Azu has Waterfall and Aquajet with Huge Power so... yeah this is why I say Primarina is outclassed by azu

I did a (mostly) fairy monotype, where I used mons from the Fairy Egg Group as well just to make the early game easier to handle. Even with Primarina as a starter, you won't have much in the very beginning. I recommend always having at least 1 Pokemon with Misty Terrain on your team, since it's great in Reborn. It boosts Pixilate's power, making Sylveon even more ridiculous, increases the power of many different Fairy attacks, boosts all Fairies' sp def, and increases Wish recovery. 

I also liked having a fairy bulky Wish Passer, who typically had a status curing move and Misty Terrain as well. Aromatisse filled this job very well until I had access to Florges, which is just better. I think I eventually phased Florges out for Sylveon, but that's cause I went for a tankier Sylveon set since mine didn't have a useful Hidden Power and because moves like Shadow Ball aren't available in the game yet. 

Other options that people haven't already mentioned include:

Mr. Mime. Does a good job until you get Gardevoir. Filter and Technician are both good abilities, and Mr. Mime was really helpful against Aya. He also has access to Wide Guard through the Move Tutor, and as Jess has shown, Charlotte can't stand Wide Guard and it helps out a lot in other Doubles circumstances. 

Whimsicott is also a cool Pokemon, though I would take Azumarill as your mystery egg mon (assuming the choices stay the same in Episode 17). Whimsicott is an amazing stall Pokemon with plenty of options for Prankster. Subseed is my favorite, but Whimsicott can also learn Stun Spore and can be bred to have Memento.

Mawile is okay, but the main reason I'm putting it here is because it's one of your only options to do super effective damage in mirror match ups. If/when the Mega Ring is introduced, Mega Mawile is pretty friggin awesome as well. 

There are lots of great and underappreciated fairies at the start of the game and available throughout. Don't import any mons but instead use this run to gain a better appreciation for the type as a whole and not just its s-rank fighters

Things

Primarina

Jigglypuff

Swirlix 

And more with ep17 

Will be available very early on and deserve much more love than they get