Remove one of these from the battle system

Remove  

28 members have voted

1. 1. from system

• Status conditions
    • Type matchups (everything is neutral to everything)
    • Stat-raising/lowering moves (paralysis would still lower speed and burn would still lower attack)
    • Priority moves

• Global Mods

If you had to remove one of these four from Pokemon's battle system, which one would you choose?

Everything here has been around since Gen 1. I intentionally didn't include mechanics added in later gens, since people tend to be more mixed on those in general (I've seen people say they don't like the concept of mega evolution or z moves, but I don't think I've heard anyone say we should do away with status conditions for example). These are parts of the system that have existed since the beginning of Pokemon and that players might take a while getting used to if they didn't exist anymore. 

Also didn't include the following even though they've been around since Gen 1 since I think they might've won in a Rock Slide:

-EVs and/or IVs 

-Items (held items didn't exist until Gen 2, but by this I mean Potions, Revives, and status healers)

-Turn-based combat

-Critical hits

For the priority moves option: depending on the move, it either just wouldn't have priority (ex: Aqua Jet), or wouldn't exist period if its entire function relies on moving first or last (ex: Protect). 

I'd rather not remove any of those as they are all very integral to the Pokémon competitive experience.but if I have to choose one to remove that would be the least debilitating, it would be priority moves as the rest are too important for the overall health of the competitive scene. Types, status conditions and stat modifiers are the heart and soul of the Pokémon game play and the games would be lesser for the removal of them.

None, each have a role in competitive Pokemon.

• Stall and more bulky teams heavily rely on status conditions in conjunction with entry hazards to whittle away the opponent. Removing these will completely invalidate a playstyle.
  • Removing type matchups will remove way too much strategic depth of competitive Pokemon (predictions, team composition and synergy, and general type knowledge) to be worth doing. Doing this will remove any competitive Pokemon scene, both VGC and Smogon.
  • Removing stat boosting invalidates so many important Pokemon (Volcarona, Dragonite, Gyarados, Salamence, etc.) and, again, dumbs down the game by removing a strategic component. 
  • Removing priority moves will make offensive teams too hard to deal with, as many builds rely on priority to revenge kill certain threats (i.e. Mega Pinsir vs. a boosted Volcarona). 

Overall, implementing these ideas will ruin the competitive aspect of the game, and as such I would rather choose to keep each intact. 

• Global Mods
6 minutes ago, Panther said:

None, each have a role in competitive Pokemon.

• Stall and more bulky teams heavily rely on status conditions in conjunction with entry hazards to whittle away the opponent. Removing these will completely invalidate a playstyle.
  • Removing type matchups will remove way too much strategic depth of competitive Pokemon (predictions, team composition and synergy, and general type knowledge) to be worth doing. Doing this will remove any competitive Pokemon scene, both VGC and Smogon.
  • Removing stat boosting invalidates so many important Pokemon (Volcarona, Dragonite, Gyarados, Salamence, etc.) and, again, dumbs down the game by removing a strategic component. 
  • Removing priority moves will make offensive teams too hard to deal with, as many builds rely on priority to revenge kill certain threats (i.e. Mega Pinsir vs. a boosted Volcarona). 

Overall, implementing these ideas will ruin the competitive aspect of the game, and as such I would rather choose to keep each intact. 

I would prefer for people to choose between one of the four instead of saying none, though :c Most people would probably choose none if given the option of not removing any, but the question was about if you had to remove one. 

To be fair, generation I had only one priority move, and it was weak. Because of that, I would argue it's the least important to the pokemon genre.

However, priority strategies have become more important. From strategies using counter/mirror coat, to protect/detect, to trick room, revenge killing, and more. It's become a fun and less predictable aspect.

You cannot have Pokemon without type matchups.

Stat raising moves and conditions may be removed, but only if you want a game that is only fun for little kids, that only need flamethrower charizard to have a good time ;)

5 hours ago, Tartar said:

I'd rather not remove any of those as they are all very integral to the Pokémon competitive experience.but if I have to choose one to remove that would be the least debilitating, it would be priority moves as the rest are too important for the overall health of the competitive scene. Types, status conditions and stat modifiers are the heart and soul of the Pokémon game play and the games would be lesser for the removal of them.

I was just about to say the same right now, so i just quoted you. Made my work simple

6 hours ago, Ice Cream Sand Witch said:

I would prefer for people to choose between one of the four instead of saying none, though :c Most people would probably choose none if given the option of not removing any, but the question was about if you had to remove one. 

Fair enough, sorry if this response seemed a little bit off putting. To answer properly, I'd remove priority attacks because it'll impact things less than removing other aspects

• Global Mods

For my own answer, I'd say priority moves for similar reasons others mentioned. 

As someone fond of setup sweeping, I definitely wouldn't want stat altering moves to go.

Type matchups are one of the most significant aspects of battling, and I feel like it'd be the most major removal on this list. If removing type matchups were to be done, I think instead of just removing them, a new system should take its place. For example shifting how types interact to be more along the lines of things like Grass types being immune to spore and powder moves and giving every type benefits like that. 

The effects of status conditions can turn the odds around in a battle and they have some pretty fun effects. 

Unpopular opinion, but I voted for Stat-raising/lowering moves. Faster mons would be more powerful, considering that you need items or priority moves to outspeed them instead of one use of Dragon Dance. Alternatively tank their attacks and retaliate. You can still run sets that utilize stat-raising items like various Berries or Choice items. I guess Trick Room would be removed too, so rip Trick Room.

Edited by Zargerth
Added some stuff