Dragonslayer Guide (aka How to defeat Solaris' Garchomp at Pyrous Mountain) for Monoruns

Jess

So, since many people that do monoruns or just play Reborn in general have asked about it and been struggling with this, there are 3 suggested methods to easily cheese Solaris and his Garchomp. These are the brilliant -mostly in Reborn- moves: Perish Song, Destiny Bond and Counter. 

So, after some searching, I made a list with the Pokemon that can legally learn at least one of these moves till the moment of that battle. This means that 1) the pokemon are accessible in-game before fighting Solaris at Pyrous and 2) the said move is learned either by level-up or by (chain)/breeding with another pokemon(s) that also are available normally before that fight and learn this move by level-up (and not relearning, since move relearner isn't available by that fight).

Here's the list!

Normal: 

• Counter: Slaking (level up), Raticate (breed with Slaking), Chansey (breed with Breloom), Teddiursa (breed with Slaking), Zangoose (breed with Slaking)
  • Destiny Bond: None
  • Perish Song: Igglybuff (soft reset event till you get one with Perish Song)

Fire:

• Counter: Charmander (chain breed with Slaking and Nidoran-M), Houndour (breed with Slaking), Torchik (breed with Slaking), Chimchar (breed with Sawk/Slaking)
  • Perish Song: None

Fighting:

• Counter: (take your pick xD) Breloom (level-up), Medicham (level-up), Sawk (level-up), Makuhita (breed with Sawk), Mankey (breed with Slaking), Croagunk (breed with Sawk)

Water:

• Counter: Wooper (breed with Slaking), Mudkip (chain breed with Slaking and Nidoran-M, or others, see Bulbapedia), Lotad (breed with Breloom)
  • Destiny Bond: Carvanha (gifted by Aqua Gang after defeating Magma Gang, soft-reset to get a Destiny Bond one)
  • Perish Song: Seel (Mystery egg Seel knows Perish Song), Marill (maybe Mystery Egg Marill too, not sure)

Flying:

• Counter: None
  • Destiny Bond: Vespiquen (by level-up), Drifloon (breed with Weezing)
  • Perish Song: Murkrow (event Murkrow knows it I think)

Grass:

• Counter: Breloom (level-up), Paras (breed with Breloom), Chikorita (breed with Breloom), Lotad (breed with Breloom), Cacnea (breed with Breloom/Sawk)
  • Destiny Bond: Cacnea (level-up), Phantump (level-up), Pumpkaboo (breed with Yamask/Phantump)

Poison:

• Counter: Nidoran-M/F (breed with Slaking), Croagunk (breed with Sawk)
  • Destiny Bond: Weezing (level-up), Gulpin (breed with Weezing/Yamask)

Electric:

(Why I dislike this type xD)

Ground:

• Counter: Nidoking/Nidoqueen (breed with Slaking), Sandshrew (breed with Slaking), Rhyhorn (breed with Slaking), Wooper (breed with Slaking), Phanpy (breed with Slaking)

Psychic:

• Counter: Medicham (level-up)
  • Perish Song: Jynx (level-up)

Rock:

• Counter: Sudowoodo (level-up), Rhyhorn (breed with Slaking)

Ice:

• Perish Song: Jynx (level-up), Dewgong (Mystery egg Seel has it)

Bug:

• Counter: Paras (breed with Breloom)
  • Destiny Bond: Vespiquen (level-up)
  • Perish Song: Kricketune (level-up)

Dragon:

• Counter: Axew (chain breed with Slaking and Nidoran-M (or others, see Bulbapedia))

Ghost:

• Destiny Bond: Yamask (level-up), Phantump (level-up), Pumpkaboo (breed with Yamask/Phantump), Drifloon (breed with Weezing), Duskull (breed with Weezing/Yamask/Pumpkaboo), Shuppet (breed with Weezing/Yamask/Pumpkaboo)

Dark:

• Counter: Houndour (breed with Slaking), Zorua (breed with Slaking)
  • Destiny Bond: Cacturne (level-up),  Carvanha (gifted by Aqua Gang after defeating Magma Gang, soft-reset to get a Destiny Bond one)
  • Perish Song: Murkrow (event Murkrow knows it I think)

Steel:

Fairy:

• Perish Song: Igglybuff (soft reset event till you get one with Perish Song), Marill (maybe Mystery Egg Marill too, not sure)

Happy destroying everyone! ;) 

Edited by Jess
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Wolfox said:

I hate to be that guy, but I believe there are some types missing...

Damn, I copied it from a previous post of mine, and I accidentally didn't copy Fairy... I'm sorry Lord Wolfox...

Here's the proof that I'm not lying too...

3 minutes ago, Damien said:

Simple. Just get 5 endeavor focus sash Rattatas and have 1 pokemon with a priority move to deal with the last health. No way in HELL Solaris would have more than 5 full restores!

You can only have 1 Focus Sash till that time. And Garchomp has Rough Skin and Leftovers.

For Normal type specifically, Counter Slaking in itself is enough. After some calculations, it is revealed that Slaking has enough bulk to survive a hit from Garchomp and OHKO with a nasty Counter.

Dark has a longer way to deal with Solaris: Prankster Purrloin with Air Balloon can usually get Garchomp to -6 accuracy, allowing a dark type with embargo to block his full restore and leftovers, allowing you to chip away reliably. 2 Mightyenas with Indimitate can be used in conjunction with this to lower his attack to -6 as well. Once Garchomp's attacks are neutered, it's basically only a matter of time before you defeat him. 

(Sure, this takes more time then Murkrow with Prankster Perish Song, but it could be useful if you forget to SR, evolve into Honchkrow too early, or prefer an egg move like Brave Bird or Roost) 

10 hours ago, Orasha said:

or prefer an egg move like Brave Bird or Roost

The thing about those is that if you got a ducklett egg from the slums it learns both via level up so you can get them that way. Also you can't evolve Murkrow by that point in the game. But yeh dark has several of the easiest and idiot proof ways of doing that fight. Also @Jess for water and dark the Carvanha that you are given for the aqua quest line finish (or at least the one I got not sure if it gets other egg moves) gets Destiny Bond.

Another thing. Electric technically has something to do it with and by technically I mean the smallest of chances. So Stunfisk learns Fissure at level 61 so if you wanted to over level it you could. But due to the fact that this is the formula for calculating its accuracy (as long as this hasn't been changed) Accuracy = ((level of user - level of target) + 30)%. To have a 1% chance for it to hit Stunfisk must be level 46 at a minimum so have fun with that.

EDIT: As seen bellow I was wrong the Stunfisk would have to be level 75 for the move to work.

Edited by St0mpa

Just now, St0mpa said:

You are correct. I didn't know that as I never use OHKO moves. But what I said is still technically possible but you would have to get Stunfisk up to level 75 which is the biggest pain to overlevel that high.

Also, you'd have to be lucky enough to not get disobeyed and hit with th ridiculous 30% hit ratio. Rage for days.

• 2 months later...
  • Global Mods

There's also another way a mon with leech seed and a low lvl pineco with sturdy you leech seed garchomp your poor mon die then you switch to pineco when garchomp attacks he activates sturdy and the leech seed will always heal pineco to full health

A bit booring but works

16 hours ago, dragonsbeat said:

There's also another way a mon with leech seed and a low lvl pineco with sturdy you leech seed garchomp your poor mon die then you switch to pineco when garchomp attacks he activates sturdy and the leech seed will always heal pineco to full health

A bit booring but works

Heck, if you get cottonee in the mystery egg you don't even need a sash, you may as well breed a Geodude or pineco and consider the battle won