A Little start of newcomers

black-knight

1 minute ago, black-knight said:

what can be the quick things newcomers can do or learn here

Wow... now that's a very broad question xD

First off welcome to Reborn, black-knight. Since you're a newcomer (and provided you feel like writing a little), you may want to introduce yourself in the Grand Hall, tell us a bit about yourself, how you found Reborn, your hobbies and so on...

You may want to check out the Discord and Showdown servers if that's your thing, too.

If you want to know more about Reborn: the Game (TM) there are several interesting topics to keep in mind, notably the pokemon location guide and item guide (both very helpful).

Generally speaking be curious and open about things, take a quick look at the community rules, be good and everything's gonna be fine =p

If you have any specific question or issue don't hesitate to contact older members who can help you.

Have fun~

4 minutes ago, black-knight said:

what can be the quick things newcomers can do or learn here

- Drinking a glass of water before going to bed will reduce a possible hangover.

- Always brush your teeth at least twice a day.

- Don't forget to floss.

- Don't leave animals or small children unattended in a car.

- Never ask when the next episode of Reborn will come out.

- Always eat your soup. If you don't eat your soup you might starve.

- Respect your parents.

- Thou shall not kill.

- The bible doesn't say "Thou shalt not swap." Taking a stereo and leaving a walkman is fine.

- DON'T TOUCH THE COOKIES!

- Have fun.

- Don't take anything too seriously.

From my experience:

1. Have a rotation of 9-10 pokemon instead of just 6. Grinding levels isn't too difficult, especially compared to the main series games. Filter out the mons that have a bad matchup for the upcoming gym.

2. Read the Field Effects manual! This helps with preparation tremendously

3. Don't get discouraged if you repeatedly get crushed against some boss battles. This game was intentionally designed this way. Ame, while a wonderful person, is a sadist who bathes in children's tears :(

4. Be frugal. I hope you've seen Spongebob Squarepants and/or Everybody Hates Chris, because Mr. Krabs and Julius are who you need to emulate financially since NPCs reward very little $ early on and you're broke for most of the early game.

5. Personal Recommendation: For your starter, I recommend either a water starter, Snivy, Torchic, or Chimchar. Good water types are pretty uncommon early(although I recommend using Lightningrod Goldeen in the first gym) and you'll encounter good Grass (Roselia ,Tangrowth lines) and Fire (Numel, Growlithe, Houndour lines) types much earlier than you will a good water type. Snivy is also a great choice b/c of Contrary Leaf Storm, but I recommend to get HP Fire IV's. Torchic and Chimchar are extremely useful due to their high BP STABS (Close Combat, Hi Jump Kick, Flare Blitz) and their speed (108 for Infernape, Speed Boost HA available for Blaziken)

6. Be prepared to use mons you've never used before. You're not getting Smogon OU staples such as Garchomp, Scizor, Mega Mawile, Latios, etc.. anytime soon at the start of the game so be prepared to use Poochyena, Wurmple, Woobat, Oddish, etc... type mons from the start. However, there are so many hidden gems even early on, which is why I recommend looking at the guide on Pokemon Location by # of Gym Badges: