Kakegurui Episode 5 [Spoilers]

Sheep

Spoilers for anyone who hasn't seen it yet, but I'm hoping someone can explain something for me. I get that Yumeko and Mary switched debt plates, but what's all the other stuff about? How does lending Suzui a giant pile of money increase Mary's debt? Surely if anything it increases Suzui's debt, not Mary's?

No the chips were each a proportion of the player's debt, so the bloke was under the impression that because Yumeko had the highest debt her chips were worth the most, when in reality Mary's declared debt was highest.

Edit: No wait, I rewatched it and now I understand what happened. 

Step 1. Mary goes to the student council and falsely declares that she owes Suzui 260 million yen. She also asks them to consolidate the debt over to the student council. Thus Suzui gets a payment of 260 million yen and both Yumeko and Mary owe the student council 310 million yen.

Step 2. When they collect their cards Mary correctly declares that she owes 310 million yen, and Yumeko lies and declares that she only owes 50 million yen. Thus for the purposes of the game Mary's chips are worth far more than Yumeko's.

Step 3. Yumeko and Mary switch cards on the way to the game, so when they show up they are displaying the debts that their opponents expect to see. The only players who know the true value of the chips are Yumeko, Mary, and the dealer.

Step 4. Under this new scheme Mary wins, the side girl comes 2nd, Yumeko comes 3rd, and the bloke comes last. Mary swaps her 310 million yen debt with the loser's 10 million yen debt, and then the 10 million yen debt is absolved. Mary now owes the student council nothing, while the debts of Yumeko and the other girl are unchanged. However, Yumeko across the course of the game motivated the other girl to try and lose the debt herself.

Step 5. Mary collects the money from Suzui, she is now 260 million yen in the positive while Yumeko still owes the student council 310 million yen. What Mary will do with that money is unclear.

That second explanation was pretty spot on, one minor detail though. Saotome does not have her $10M debt which she gained from Jun paid off by the SC, only her false debt ($310M), so she's technically only 250 million in the positive.

They needed to break it down and explain it a little bit more in my opinion. In searching for an answer online all I found was a lot of confused people, so a lack of understanding about what happened seems to be a pretty common response. Needed just a little bit more time devoted to it.

As for your point, didn't they say in episode 4 that the student council would absolve the winner's debt?

42 minutes ago, Sheep said:

As for your point, didn't they say in episode 4 that the student council would absolve the winner's debt?

Yes in the sense that the winner would have his debts swapped with the loser.