Throughout the Pokemon games a good amount of time is usually spent traversing from route to route. We've had a great number of different routes, from marshlands, to deserts, to water, to volcanos, to empty spaces(looking at you Kalos route 1 and 13) Some ideas Game Freak still hasn't made, like a route in space. What are some of your ideas for new routes?

I don't THINK a literal graveyard was ever used for a route. Yeah, there's the  Pokemon Tower, but it's not a route. Perhaps a bit grim or edgy? Yeah, it would be odd to take a stroll from one route to another with a bunch of headstones. You might need to invent a mythos to really make a route feel entirely different at this point. Maybe try to stick to a given type of Pokemon and bring in a certain colored fauna or dirt.

Maybe something similar has already been done in canon games (I haven't played all of them) but I'd like to see an outdoors route plunged in permanent darkness because of some legendary mon or artificial disaster. Sort of like the Untended Graves in Dark Souls 3.

Other than that, I'd love a huge stairway or elevator reaching into space. Like a floating bridge in starlight =3

(a virtual cookie for anyone who gets the reference)

On 8/3/2017 at 2:37 AM, Alistair said:

Maybe something similar has already been done in canon games (I haven't played all of them) but I'd like to see an outdoors route plunged in permanent darkness because of some legendary mon or artificial disaster.

Alistair, I really like the idea of a shadowed route and have been thinking about how it could work in game.

So, initially the player would arrive on the route and witness the bright meadow (or whatever) become overcast as a floating island settles above the route. Police or some other good character arrives to evacuate the route and directs you to a side exit (possibly changing your destination all together). Later, you return to face the team of troublemakers (obviously behind the floating island) and find the pokemon on the route are all tough and aggressive, an effect of the island and its overcast. Eventually you go to the floating island to take on the evil team's base. A legendary pokemon is responsible for the island floating. When all is said and done (legendary captured or chased off) the island starts falling. With some effort, the good guys direct it into the water. After this, both the overcast route and the fallen island are new/renewed areas to explore. The route's pokemon are different again, but not weak. And the island attracts pokemon and trainers.

With such an interesting idea and decent daydreaming time I had to expand on it. Hope it proves interesting to some of you as well.

@Froiky These are nice ideas! I like the concept of restoring an environment from a disaster so it gains a completely different atmosphere, with other wild mons, events etc. Or alternatively, visit a place and come back to it after it was struck by a catastrophe. Like the dark and lighter sides of the same coin.

Sometimes a road or place you're familiar with during the day gives off completely different vibes at dusk or night. As if it were a different location, while still being the same. It's an idea that could see more use in games, I think (other than horror games of course). Take a nice and friendly place, snuff out the light, replace the cheerful music with silence, and let the player's mind play tricks on them =p