How Exactly Can Amethyst Work On Reborn Full-Time Again??

Tartar

I've been wondering about this for a while.

Half a year ago Ame spoke about quitting her previous job to work full-time on Reborn and her other projects, backed up by her Patreon. As of this moment us Patreon backers are supporting her with approximately $650 a month which she says is enough to pay rent. 

But considering all of her other expenses and her recent PC repair costs, I have a hard time understanding how she can live off of the back of her Patreon?

Perhaps it is not my place to ask for Amethysts financial situation but I am genuinely concerned how my favorite game developer, can possibly live any semblance of a normal lifestyle while working on Reborn full-time. Perhaps I misunderstanding something and she has secondary means of income or is drawing on her savings.

Does anyone know anything in regards to this, or has she herself perhaps commented on this topic during her streams?

@Amethyst

I've seen many other indie creators that are based in US, and require a non-studio environment to work also tag numbers around that as the baseline for them to devote themselves to work on their projects full time. Maybe its a US economics thing that allow them to get by with those numbers?

• Administrators

I would not put much faith in US economics tbh...

Anyway, I appreciate the concern. My expenses are as follows: Rent, phone bill, medication, site costs, food.

Since I do not have a car, or insurance of any kind, or student loans, and do not go anywhere or subscribe to other services, I can keep it to these things.

The cheapest rent in this city for a studio or 1 bedroom apartment is around $1000k. So the fact that I can even live on this is at all is a small miracle. My rent includes the cost of utilities and internet too. I switched my phone bill to the cheapest possible plan. Medication and site costs can't be helped. I usually buy food on markdown or clearance so I can get it half price. In addition to that I've figured most of my regular meals on a per-cent cost so I only eat things that would be particularly cheap.

But it's true that just minimizing expenses isn't enough to make up the difference. I'm currently losing around $200 per month. I went into this prepared to lose a lot more than that though. The results have far exceeded my expectations and I've been so happy to be able to keep going like this. I had some amount of savings from my previous job that I was prepared to use all of if I had to (and I would have by now if not for everyone's help), and I also had a graduation present sum from my grandmother sitting in her bank collecting interest for the past couple years so I called that in as a safety net. 

In addition to those things, I'm naturally pretty good with money. I rarely buy anything unnecessary and I minimize extras where possible. For instance I don't usually use oil when cooking because ultimately the food can still be made without it. Because of these things and various other random sources, I have not had too much of a loss. Things like my tax returns, and money I got for my birthday, etc serve as a small bonus give me more months that I could do this in the worst case scenario. When I reach a greater stability, I can think about doing things for myself. 

In that worst case scenario I also have an empty credit card as a back up. At the point that I have to use that I'd probably look for a part time job again, but I'm hoping it doesn't get to that point. 

Hopefully this clears it up. Ultimately there's no need to worry so much, but thank you for thinking of my wellbeing. ^^

9 hours ago, Amethyst said:

Hopefully this clears it up. Ultimately there's no need to worry so much, but thank you for thinking of my wellbeing. ^^

I admire your frugality, while at the same time being slightly horrified by your financial situation and lifestyle.I sincerely hope that your financial situation will stabilize and your transition into a proper indie developer with the creation of Starlight Divide will be a smooth one.

Thanks for the enlightening post, and please treat yourself to something nice once in a while…

Edited by Tartar

9 minutes ago, Tartar said:

I admire your frugality, while at the same time being slightly horrified by your financial situation and lifestyle.I sincerely hope that your financial situation will stabilize and your transition into a proper indie developer with the creation of Starlight Divide will be a smooth one.

Thanks for the enlightening post, and please treat yourself to something nice once in a while…

I don't think you really realize this, but you've been kind of rude about this. You really don't have a right to judge someone else's livelihood especially if they're poor. I've met people in much, much worse situations than Ame and they do what they can to get buy and live on for the next day. I definitely understand Ame's practices as I often do similar ones to save up money to be able to buy stuff I wouldn't normally be able to (like video games though over half my collection is used games). And you missed the bigger point Ame was trying to make: she's limiting her expenses as she's CHOOSING not to work in order to WORK on more of what she loves doing. Treating herself to nice things would push her closer to having to work again. I have respected her decision then and I still respect that decision now so long as it does not become a serious health issue.

Sorry I'm a bit bothered by this and I'm probably a bit overreacting, but oh well. 

Not to be that guy but, why is this thread here in the first place? I don't want to come off as rude, but this really just seems like something someone should ask in private, or just not bring up at all. It's just....not at all polite to ask someone about their financial situation, unless they come to you about it. Sorry if this seemed backhanded, but it's just something that bothers me as someone who is also trying to get by. 

• Administrators

It's okay-- there are some people to whom my lifestyle might seem far removed and that's only natural. I'm looking out for myself too, and of course I intend to preserve my health as best I can. Even then, it's not as if my life is bad. Like Commander says, this is what I chose and I enjoy being able to do it. I know what sacrifices I need to make, and I don't regret it at all. 

I think Jazzy does have a good point as it would apply to normal or other people's situations too. However, I'm not concerned by it personally. As it is it's thanks to my patrons and to the community that I'm able to do this. Therefore it seems only natural to me that I should be upfront about my situation with everyone in return. I don't feel a need to hide anything.

I know everyone here is just looking out for me, and thank you for that. At this point it might be best to let it go anyway though.

I saw the conversations and well , to prevent any misunderstanding i will just say : good continuation to you Ame :) Do what you think be the best for you and you will always find someone here to help you , we owe you one ;) 

Edited by Pμrple