Reach for the Skies! A Nuzlocke Story

Filthy Casual

This is something I've been looking forward to for a very long time! I was inspired by @Candy to do this story, so before I begin, I just wanted to say thanks to you for inspiring me to do this!

The rules of a traditional Nuzlocke are simple: you must catch the first Pokemon of each route, and when a Pokemon faints, it is considered dead. I will be nicknaming every Pokemon I catch. Since this is my first Nuzlocke, and this is ongoing, I thought it would only be fair if I created an ongoing story out of it, such as a journal entry. I've had a plot in my head for a long time, and I am looking forward to telling it. I would love your feedback, but if you have any, please send it to me through PM. With that being said, let's get started!

Edited by FactoryofSadness

Journal Entry 1:

Let me be frank: I hate writing in journals. I think they are a waste of time, but the Professor has said that I need to take my mind off of work for a while. As such, he told me to write whatever comes to mind in this stupid journal. As such, let me start from the beginning:

I am a Mudkip enrolled in the Hoenn Starter Program, or HSP for short. Apparently, our species is so rare that our species has been hunted to near extinction in Hoenn. I remember the day my parents were captured right before my eyes. A strange man in pink hair had wanted to add my colony to his arsenal. He went on about finding the right "EVs" and "IVs" for his team. As he was about to capture me, my mother ran in front of the Pokeball and sacrificed her freedom for my safety. It wasn't much, but it was enough time for me to escape...

...or at least, that's what I thought.

I eventually was captured by Professor Birch. It wasn't all bad, though! Birch is really nice, and let me work in the lab with him! I even ran into some other Pokemon in the lab! I grew quite attached to Torchic. She was in a similar situation as me. We ended up growing quite close. Treecko, on the other hand, was such a bully. He constantly teased me, mocking me for having the type disadvantage. He always said no one would ever want me, and I would be stuck as Birch's errand boy forever. However, I never let that bring me down. I always trained when Birch wasn't working me out in the field. I thought someone would want to pick me for sure...

...but then we hit today.

Two kids wanted to pick their starter Pokemon for their journey. The first was May, Birch's kid. She's a bit stuck up, as working with he father has taught her a lot about Pokemon. She's never been challenged, and that's made her a bit cocky. The other was a kid in green hair. I didn't get his name, but he doesn't seem like someone who should be using Pokemon. I thought one of the two would want me on their team, but instead, May took Treecko, and the other kid took Torchic.

Now, I'm stuck by myself in some stupid lab without anyone to talk with. Maybe Treecko was right. Maybe I am worthless...

...no, no I'm not! I promised myself I would be the one to find and free my mother! I'm going to get stronger, and maybe one day, I'll find my mom! Until then, I just have to keep training!

Journal Entry 2:

Today was the best day ever! The professor was taking me to Oldale to pick up some more Pokeballs. However, as we were traveling back, a wild Zigzagoon ambushed the professor! He ended up dropping by ball! I thought he was a goner for sure, but luckily, somebody picked up my ball and send me out against the beast! I couldn't believe it! A chance to prove myself! Without hesitation, I dispatched of the Zigzagoon without any problems! I turned around to see who sent me out...

...only to find out it was that kid Brendan from next door. I never got their family. Sure, they're still new to town, but Brendan spends his time locked away in his room. I have no idea what he does up there.

The professor took us back to his lab, where he thanked Brendan for saving him! He then quickly looked down at me and asked me, "Hey, do you want to travel with this trainer?" This was the moment I was looking for! I quickly accepted, willing to embark on my quest to save my family!

One of the things asked of new trainers is if they wanted to give nicknames to each of us. Trainers like to think it's a way of making us feel unique. For example, May called Treecko "Blade", and the green haired boy called Torchic "Summer". I was really excited to get an awesome nickname, as well...

...but then Brendan decided to nickname me Rupert.

Rupert?! Who names their starter Rupert?!

At the end of the day, I couldn't complain. The professor tasked us to see May in order to gain a lesson about Pokemon battles. We found her by Oldale, where she and Treec- sorry, I guess I should say "Blade", now- were doing some training. Brendan explained his situation to May, and May agreed to help us out with a battle.

As soon as Blade heard Brendan call out my nickname, he couldn't help but bust out laughing. I remember he told me "Oh, you would be a Rupert! This is going to be way too easy." This made me extremely mad. That's when Brendan called out for me to use Tackle...

...poor Blade never stood a chance.

Despite all of his bark, it turns out he really has no bite. The feeling was surreal. I finally shut him up after all these years! All he could mutter was "Talk about a cheap shot, punk." Maybe I'm a bit hard on Brendan. Being with a trainer feels amazing!

As soon as the fight ended, May decided to head back to New Bark. It was getting late, and it was time for her to report her findings to her father. Brendan brought me home, and showed me to his mother, who couldn't help but muster a big smile! When she asked Brendan what she named me, she told Brendan something strange.

"Oh, honey. Your brother would be so proud."

I wonder what that means.

Today was a wonderful day filled with adventure! I can't wait to see what tomorrow has in store for us!

Journal Entry 3:

Today, I was hit with a rude awakening. I thought once I was out the door, it would be easy to find my mom. However, that turned out to be quite the opposite.

We started off the day with Professor Birch giving Brendan some Poke Balls to start our journey. That way, we could make some new friends along the way. As soon as we walked out of New Bark, we did: a Poochyena! He was really energetic, and asked us if he could join us. Brendan took a liking to him immediately, calling him Magnus. Of course, Magnus was ready to train. He found another Poochyena, and wanted to show Brendan that he could do it.

Unfortunately, poor Magnus took a Tackle to the head.

What happened next will stick in my head for the rest of my life. Magnus was knocked back in such a way that his head hit a rock, cracking his skull. Brendan ran as fast as he could to the Pokemon Center, but it was already too late: he had lost too much blood.

Brendan didn't take it well. He kept hugging me, saying "I'm so sorry" over and over again. He buried him by the river on Route 103. As we were leaving, however, I felt that we were being watched. I decided to look behind the bush, when I found a Wingull watching us. I walked up to her, and asked her why she was watching us.

"Oh, no reason," she somberly stated. "I saw you lost your friend. I'm really sorry. I know what that feels like."

She then explained that she had recently lost her family to a pack of Electrike. She flew all the way from Route 110 to Route 103, in fear of her life.

"I don't really have anywhere to go. I just know how it feels to lose someone," she stated. That's when I called over Brendan. He saw Wingull's look, and asked her, "How would you like to join me on my adventure? I'm not much of a trainer, but I'd love to learn alongside you if you'd let me." Her face beamed as soon as she heard those words. From that day forward, she would be known as Kailani.

As we were continuing on our quest, we ran into another friend; a rather enthusiastic Wumple. He found us and decided that he would join our team. He was so set on joining us that he decided to forcibly enter one of Brendan's Pokeballs. He's not too bad, however; Hermie is certainly... jubilant, to say the least.

As we entered Petalburg, I saw a familiar face: the green haired kid! Apparently, his name is Wally, and he needed Torch- I'm sorry, "Summer"- in order to travel to his Uncle's house. It was really nice to talk with her again. I remember telling her everything: what Brendan was like, how amazing it was to beat down Blade, Magnus's death, and even the friends I made. Summer then told me about the friend she made, as well! She met a nice Ralts her trainer calls Zima. Apparently, he's quite timid.

It wasn't meant to last, however, as the gym leader, Norman, eventually found us. Apparently, he's Brendan's father! I never would have guessed that given how Brendan likes to keep to himself! Strangely enough, Brendan started to look down as his father started to approach him. He simply looked at his son and said "Did I tell you that you can get Pokemon?" I remember Brendan looking at his father telling him that all of his friends from Johto had left on their journeys a long time ago, and that he wanted to have a chance, as well. As Norman looked down at me, he asked Brendan what my nickname was. As he replied, he only said this:

"You're not ready."

He quickly went into his gym, closing his gym for the day. Wally told us that there was a gym at Rustboro we could challenge. Brendan told us we will be heading over tomorrow! I'm not going to let any more friends die on my watch.

Journal Entry 4:

Maybe I'm not cut out for this after all. Another teammate died today, and it was all my fault. I should have been more of a leader and took charge. I knew it was a bad idea, but I let Brendan make his decision, and now one of my friends is dead!

Perhaps I should just start from the beginning. It all began when we went through Petalburg woods. We met two new friends: a Poochyena named Midnight and a Slakoth named Penny. Penny in particular had warned us that a strange man in blue had been harassing a friend of hers in the woods. As we investigated, we discovered that he was indeed being assaulted by the man. He claimed to be from some cult called "Team Aqua", and said that he was going to kill us one by one for our interference. Funny enough, he went down quite easily. Hermie poisoned his Poochyena with a Poison Sting, and Kailani finished him off with a Water Gun. It was crazy to see what happened next: Hermie's String Shot was out of control. It surrounded him until he finally evolved into a new Pokemon: a Cascoon! We were all extremely happy for him!

We eventually made our way to Rustboro, where Brendan was quick to notice the gym. Of course, a good trainer would have taken time for us to train.

Not Brendan.

He immediately threw us into the fire. I specifically remembering the urge to scream at him to stop, but I kept my feelings bottled up. I wanted to find my family, and I thought the fastest way of doing that was by letting Brendan do what he wanted. We ended up fighting our way to the first Gym Leader, a confident school girl named Kailani. She asked Brendan how much they had trained for this day, and he told her that they had just arrived in the gym. All she could do was give him a horrified look. Gym leaders aren't allowed to turn down challengers, after all.

Brendan had started the fight off with Kailini. She used Water Gun once...

...but it wasn't enough to KO.

The Geodude countered with a Rock Throw, but he hit her straight on the skull.

Critical Hit.

I remember Brendan frantically reaching for his Pokeball in order to call her back. I remember Roxanne's cold, dispassionate face as she told Brendan to send out her next Pokemon. I immediately rushed in to finish them off. I'm not really sure what happened next. I was so mad, I entered a state of rage. I remember finishing off her Nosepass, only to see my other teammates look back at me with a horrified look on their faces. Hermie even shed a tear.

After winning the battle, Brendan walked up to Roxanne, expecting a gym badge. However, she quickly told him that he would not be receiving his badge today.

"What? Why not?" he asked. "I beat you fair and square! You're supposed to give me a badge when I win!"

"You? You won?" Roxanne replied with a disgusted look on her face? "If your Mudkip hadn't taken control, you would have lost the battle! You didn't even issue a command! All that tells me is that you have no control of your emotions."

"But... Kailini... you killed her..."

"No, Brendan. You killed your Wingull. You should have trained before coming here."

All I can remember next is Brendan calling us back, crying to the Pokemon center. I get what she was saying, but I'm still the starter. I should have been there to protect Kailini. Not even a full day, and I already can't keep my promise.

Journal Entry 5:

After yesterday's tragedy, Brendan brought us out to Route 116 to give Kailini a proper burial. Poor Brendan couldn't keep it together, as he kept bawling throughout the ordeal. As we were getting ready to leave, however, we saw the same Aqua grunt from yesterday run through the grave site. Brendan quickly ran after the grunt, chasing him to an abandoned cave. As he was about to head in, however, a Taillow came down and snatched from papers from his hand!

"Damn", I remember him saying. "I needed those!" He quickly looked over and saw an old man's Wingull. The grunt quickly snatched the Wingull and ran away into the cave.

"No, not today," Brendan was saying to himself. "No one else gets hurt today!"

Brendan quickly ran after the grunt, cornering him in a cave. The grunt tried to repel us with his Poochyena, but it was no use. Hermie poisoned the mut for an easy KO. Then, however, something really neat happened:

Hermie evolved again!

He's now a Dustox! I remember him the look of excitement on his face. Hermie was quick to explain, "This is so cool!" As we were celebrating, Roxanne entered through the cave, and quickly asked Brendan:

"You! Did you stop that grunt?"

"Yeah... why?" asked a confused Brendan?

Roxanne explained to him that he was part of Team Aqua, a terrorist organization known for wishing to "expand the ocean". I have no idea where they would get that nonsense, but whatever, I guess that's a thing now. She stated that is was very reckless and stupid for him to chase the Aqua grunt into the cave. However, Brendan was quick to respond:

"I don't care if it was stupid! And yeah, maybe I let my emotions get the better of me, but I'm not going to let someone else lose a Pokemon like I did! I can at least make sure no one has to go through what that old man did!"

This took Roxanne by surprise. She paused for a bit, then reached in her bag to give Brendan a gym badge.

"Maybe you aren't so bad, kid," she said, "but please make sure you exercise better judgement in the future. It's my job to make sure beginner trainers like you don't get your Pokemon killed."

With the biggest grin on his face, Brendan told her "Yes, Ma'am," and quickly ran out the cave with excitement! As we were walking, we ran into the Taillow.

"Wow, you guys were so cool!" she said.

"Wait a minute, why did you stop him", asked Hermie? "It didn't look like you were that involved."

"I saw that those papers he stole were from some scrawny guy at Devon Corp. I thought it would be really cool to stop the bad guys!"

Noticing that she was getting along with Hermie, Brendan asked the young Taillow if she wanted to join the team. She quickly accepted, allowing herself to be captured! Brendan decided to name her Cherokee.

Right as we were about to leave, however, we were stopped by an agent at Devon Corp. We were taken to their CEO, Mr. Stone! He asked us to give a letter to his son, Steven, over in Dewford town. He said that he would only trust a strong trainer to handle the job, so naturally, Brendan accepted. Brendan had told us that we would begin our quest tomorrow, but for now, we had earned a break. I'm really happy I didn't quit on Brendan just yet. Maybe he might not be so bad...

Current Lineup

Spoiler

Rupert the Mudkip (male)

Hermie the Dustox (male)

Midnight the Poochyena (female)

Penny the Slakoth (female)

Cherokee the Taillow (female)

Death Count: 2

Journal Entry 6:

I really hate that Treecko...

It all started as usual. Brendan was taking us to Dewford to deliver that letter to Mr. Stone's son, when we were stopped by May. She was telling us that she was getting ready to take on Roxanne for her first badge. However, May wanted to get in some training in before she fought Roxanne, so she challenge Brendan to a battle. He was quick to accept, wanting to make us stronger.

I was sent out first against her Wingull. It didn't take much to bring it down. It only took a couple of tackles...

...but then Blade came back.

"Round two, asshole!" he cried out. Cherokee entered the battlefield, wanting an opportunity to fight.

"Come on, cutie," I remember him sneering, "this isn't the place for you to fight. I'm only after your little friend in the back."

"But it looks like so much fun!" she replied. "I just want to..."

Blade goes for Quick Attack.

Critical Hit.

May looked on in horror. She didn't command him to go for Quick Attack. I was ready to kill that Treecko, but fortunately, Hermie stopped me.

"Don't worry. I'll take him," he replied with the happiest smile on his face.

I remember looking at him as if he had two heads. Blade had just severely hurt one of our friends.

"Oh, look at you," Blade sneered. "What, you think you're going to stop me? You're only level ten! I'm level fifteen! I've fought longer than you can imagine, and if you think you can-"

Brendan then told Hermie to go for Poison Sting, poisoning Blade.

"Yeah, you really rambled on there, huh?" Hermie asked with the biggest grin on his face. "You're lucky Cherokee will live through that injury, or else I might have actually tried to kill you."

"Why you little-"

It was right there that May called Blade back. She apologized profusely for not being able to control her Treecko. Brendan handled the whole situation with class. I was really impressed at his ability to maneuver through that dangerous situation, especially after our gym battle. Kailini would have been proud.

I remember Mr. Briney taking us on his boat to Dewford. Along the way, I asked a recovering Cherokee if she was all right.

"All right?" she asked. "I'm more than alright! I've never felt more alive in my life! We should do this again soon!"

That Taillow is really strange. I'm not quite sure what to think of her yet...

We ended up arriving in Dewford, where we saw a man in silver hair getting assaulted by a Zubat. Brendan quickly caught the creature, naming her Provenance. The man introduced himself as Steven, son of Mr. Stone. He quickly handed the letter over to Steven, who appreciated his efforts.

"Maybe when this is over, we will battle one day," he said. I'm not sure why he said that, but he rewarded our troubles with a TM for Steel Wing, as well as an EXP Share! That's going to make training go by much faster! Brendan said we will be training the majority of the day tomorrow at the beach. We're going to need plenty of rest if we want to build up our strength.

Journal 7:

Maybe Team Aqua isn't a joke after all. I almost lost my life today, and if it hadn't been for Brendan, I probably would be dead. Our day started with some training at the Slateport Beach. Mr. Stone had asked us to deliver a package to Mr. Stern, the captain of a submarine. While we were training, we even found a new friend: a mischievous Gulpin! He tried to steal and eat a Pokeball, but accidentally ended up trapping himself inside the ball. Brendan decided to call him Jones.

While training, we noticed that a large amount of Aqua goons were swarming the museum. As we walked in, we found Mr. Stern being confronted by some Aqua grunts. I was sent out to take care of both of them. As they went down, I felt a sharp pain in my body. My legs felt as if they were going to contort to an unnatural position for me. As it turns out, that's exactly what happened, as I evolved! Brendan was extremely happy to see that. He rushed over and gave me the biggest hug. I remember him telling me how proud of me he was.

Of course, our pleasantries were cut when the boss, Archie, decided to arrive. He warned Brendan to give him the Devon Goods, or there would be dire consequences. Of course, I quickly went to battle. I felt on top of the world, with new power surging through me...

...but then he sent out Sharpedo.

After that, I don't quite remember what happened next. I only remember the Sharpedo biting down into my skull, and then just cold: nothing more than cold, dark nothingness.

I woke up in the Slateport Pokemon Center. I had been out for two weeks! The team had caught up in level. Cherokee was so happy to see that I was alright. Hermie gave the biggest chuckle, saying "We missed you, buddy." Penny stayed in the corner, keeping to herself, while Jones just gave a thumbs stub? what does he have up.

After our reunion, Brendan came in the room, tears of joy on his face. He had agreed to hand over the Devon Goods to Team Aqua in exchange for my life. While it's awful that they got the goods, I'm still grateful my trainer gave up so much for me. Yes, I'm petrified, my trainer is depending on my to be brave. I won't let him down. Tomorrow, the team is going to take on Brawly. Brendan wants me to sit out for this one. I just hope none of my teammates get carried away.

Edited by FactoryofSadness

Journal 8:

What a productive day! Today was the gym battle, and Brendan came prepared! He had trained Cherokee and Hermie to really high levels! When Brendan met Brawly, I knew he wouldn't need my help. In fact, Hermie pretty much did all of the work while Cherokee took out the Meditite.

"Woah, dude," he exclaimed. "You swamped me good! Roxanne told me you may not have been prepared, but it looks like you rocked my socks off! You deserve this."

With that, Hermie had earned us a badge. He had the biggest grin on his face while Brendan received his reward.

"I didn't want you to worry too much about us, Rupert", he told me after the battle. "Since you put your life on the line for us, I wanted to return the favor." I couldn't ask for better friends.

Brawly told Brendan to head north to Mauville City, home of Watson, the gym leader. As we were heading up, however, May stopped us. She had the strangest look of concern on her face. She was telling Brendan that she was worried for his training, but I don't know... something seemed off about her.

Either way, she started off the fight by bringing out her Wingull and Slugma. I easily KOd them with Rock Tomb and Mud Shot...

...but then Blade came back.

He was ready for a fight. "Where's that fucking moth?! No one makes a fool of me and gets away with it!"

"Oh, you mean me?" grinned Hermie. He was ready to fight the new and improved Grovyle.

"Yeah, you, you little shit." jeered Blade. "You may have gotten me last time, but-"

Brendan commanded Hermie to use Confusion. Grovyle became confused.

"Man, you make this easy." Hermie laughed to himself as Blade began to charge at him at full force. As he did that, however, he missed, hitting the fence posts instead in his confusion. Blade eventually knocked himself out. Brendan was extending his hand to wish May a good game, but rather than accept the hand shake, May began to berate him about what a horrible trainer he was being...

...what?

"You know, you may have won, but you could have won faster if you had just told your Dustox to poison with Poison Sting and then use Confusion," she said. Brendan looked extremely confused, and frankly, I don't blame him. She ended up riding off on her bike, her face red with anger.

Before our day ended, we got a bit more training in, and what you know, Cherokee evolved! She's now a really fast Swellow! I think she's just thinking about the next fight, though. Either way, Brendan seems really happy for her.

Tomorrow, he's thinking of taking on Wattson's gym. That probably means I'm going to play a huge role in the fight. Hopefully everything goes as planned.

Current Lineup

Spoiler

Rupert the Marshtomp (male)

Hermie the Dustox (male)

Cherokee the Swellow (female)

Penny the Slakoth (female)

Midnight the Poochyena (female)

Jones the Gulpin (male)

Journal 9:

Today was really hard. I'm not quite sure what Brendan thinks of me today after my outburst, but I couldn't help myself. I felt too angry to control myself.

We had decided to take on the gym. Along the way, we ran into Wally, that green-haired kid who took Torchic. I was really excited to see her again! Maybe she would even be a Combusken, and we would get to spar. Wally had wanted to prove to his uncle that he could be strong enough to defeat Wattson. He challenged Brendan to a battle, and he quickly accepted. I quickly took down the Ralts with a will placed Mud Shot. I was ready to take on my best friend...

...but she was never sent out.

Wally then went on to explain that she died during his fight with Roxanne. Apparently, he sent her out without training her, just as Brendan did to Kailini. However, Roxanne had decided to stop Wally from continuing the fight, as she didn't want him to sacrifice any more of his Pokemon. All he had left was the Ralts.

"Maybe if my Summer was strong enough, she would have survived," he was muttering to himself. "I've got to have stronger Pokemon. If I don't, I can never-"

That did it. I grabbed the kid by the neck in anger, ready to pummel his face into the ground. I probably would have done so, too, if my trainer didn't stop me. I couldn't even manage to look at myself. I ran off.

Funny enough, it was Penny who found me hiding down at Bicycle Road. She had asked if Summer and I were close. "What do you care? You don't say anything!" I replied.

"...you know, I lost my friends, too," she replied. "Trainers took my brothers and sisters on their own teams, each trainer either getting them killed or boxed. Maybe I handle grief a bit differently than everyone, but I know Brendan needs you. He's been looking for you for hours. Even if you're sad, you can't do that to him."

That got me thinking clearly. I ran back to Mauville, ready to take on the gym. Brendan just looked at me with this perplexed look and asked if I was really ready to fight after what I did to Wally. After a couple more hours of begging, Brendan agreed to let me have a chance.

I'm glad that he did, too, because I got to solo Wattson's team! It felt really good! Brendan was even praised for having a "well-trained Marshtomp". Imagine that! Me, well trained! I know Brendan has done a better job keeping his emotions in check. Now, it's my turn to do the same for the others.

Current Lineup

Spoiler

Rupert the Marshtomp

Hermie the Dustox

Cherokee the Swellow

Penny the Slakoth

Jones the Gulpin

Midnight the Poochyena

Journal 10:

Today was pretty emotional for all of us. We started off the day with Midnight crying to herself early in the morning. I was going to ask her what was wrong, but Brendan found her before I did. I decided to listen in to their conversation: Midnight had grown tired of traveling with us, and felt as if she was baggage. Brendan decided to put her in the day care. Perhaps she would feel better if she trained in there without the risk of death outside. Indeed, Midnight decided to go there.

It was weird for the team, but we eventually decided to move on. We even met some new team members: one in particular was extremely clumsy, tripping over any rock found. He was a Numel, and seemed to have a short attention span. Brendan decided to call him Outback. The other new member was a Torkoal, who seemed really happy to join us. She wanted Brendan to call her Sally.

We even ran into some reporters! They were named Gabby and Ty, and wanted us to fight them for a television show! I was sent out alongside Hermie for the fight against a Whismur and a Magnemite.

"Dude, this is so cool," Hermie said. "We're going to be on TV!"

I didn't respond back, but I was also extremely excited. We got to show off to the world what we were made of! It was a quick battle, even taking the two reporters by surprise. However, what was even more awesome was that Penny evolved from the fight! She grabbed onto the EXP Share when Brendan wasn't looking, getting enough EXP to level up!

"Hey, look at that," she said. "I feel like I can do a marathon now!"

We were all extremely happy for her. We ended up stopping at an old woman's house for the night. Brendan said we need to get our rest tomorrow if we are going to get our fourth gym badge.

Current Lineup

Spoiler

Rupert the Marshtomp

Hermie the Dustox

Cherokee the Swellow

Penny the Vigoroth

Jones the Swalot

Outback the Numel

Journal 11:

Today was the day! We decided to head out to Meteor Falls, trying to find a way inside Lavaridge. Along the way, we got to fight a lot of strong and powerful trainers. Everything was going so well. Even our newest recruit, Outback, was getting good experience. Unfortunately for us, we ended up running into a ninja just as we were getting exhausted.

This ninja was a sadist. He did nothing but have his Koffings use Self-Destruct. I was able to take two, but was not ready to take a third. We were out of healing items, and it looked like it was going to be the end for me...

...but then Jones jumped in front of the blast.

I remember hearing his bloodcurdling scream in the blast. It was horrifying: bringing me back to the memories of Kailini's death. As the ninja was ready to pay Brendan money, I remember him getting ready to punch the kid in the face...

...but then we saw Jones twitch in the rubble.

Without hesitation, we ran him to the hospital. Jones was able to recover from the blast, but he's got this huge scar over his left eye. I remember asking why he did that for me.

"What can I say?" he began to chuckle. "I guess I wanted to be brave, too."

That hit me. It looks like I really am like a leader to these Pokemon. I've got to continue to be strong for the others.

Either way, we continued onward towards Meteor Falls, where we found a poor Zubat injured and alone. Cherokee took to the Zubat immediately. She wanted to make sure that it stayed okay. Before that could happen, two men in weird red uniforms ran passed us. Behind them was none other than Archie.

"You!" he yelled at Brendan. However, he started to pause to himself, saying "...never mind, there's no time. I've got to stop those Magma bastards before they blow up the damn mountain!"

"What?!" yelled Brendan. Before he could say a word, however, Archie ran past him. Brendan quickly caught the Zubat, then recalling us all in our Poke Balls. He's been running as fast as he can towards Mt. Chimney's lift while we've been getting rest. I've been extremely fortunate to have a trainer as considerate as Brendan.

Current Lineup

Spoiler

Rupert the Marshtomp

Hermie the Dustox

Cherokee the Swellow

Penny the Vigoroth

Jones the Gulpin

Outback the Numel

Journal 12:

Holy crap, today was horrifying! As soon as we had woken up, we were at the top of Mt. Chimney! Brendan had run all night to the top of the volcano, fearing that it would erupt on everyone. He explained to us that Team Magma was using a Meteorite to try an awaken a demon apparently trapped in the mountain. We had fought our way to the top of the volcano, where we found a man dressed in all red looking off into the distance.

"You there, child," he asked. "Do you even know what we are doing?" Brendan of course replied no.

"I thought so," the man said. "My name is Maxie, and I am the leader of Team Magma. What we want is to..." and to be honest, I zoned out. Apparently, the Magmas want to expand the land mass. What a load of nonsense! That's just going to make life worse for water types. Brendan tried to talk sense into him, but he wasn't hearing it. We went to battle.

That Mightyena gave us a bit of problems. Luckily, Penny put it to sleep with Yawn, allowing me time to finish the beast off. Zubat was up next, and Cherokee was able to finish it off with a Wing Attack, all the while shouting "This is so cool!"  Afterwards, Maxie sent out his Camerupt. I was brought out to deal with the threat. I remember the feeling of both fear and rage, remembering what Archie's Sharpedo did to my head. I think that helped me pull through, because the Camerupt went down without a fight.

"What?! Was I, the great Maxie, caught off guard?!" he cried as Brendan began to take down the meteorite. The Magmas were forced to retreat, much to the amusement of Archie, who cried out "Well, looks like that Marshtomp of yours has been building some muscle since our last encounter! Who knows, maybe one day, it might actually be strong!"

As the Aquas left, Brendan decided to set up camp. He ran all night, and understandably needed some rest. We decided to keep watch for any suspicious activity. As we were watching, I remember Outback coming up to me.

"...that was pretty cool back there..." he muttered. "You know, I hope you can teach me a thing or two about fighting. I want to help, too."

This took me by surprise. He hadn't said anything since he got here, and those are his first words? Don't get me wrong, I'm honored, but I didn't expect that! I agreed that I would help him. We're going to be doing some training down by the mountainside. It's going to be extremely productive!

Current Lineup

Spoiler

Rupert the Marshtomp

Hermie the Dustox

Cherokee the Swellow

Penny the Vigoroth

Jones the Gulpin

Outback the Numel

Journal 13:

...what have I done?

I started off the day training Outback. He told me about how he was mocked for being a Klutz back home. He was the clumsy one in his pack, and wanted to prove to everyone that he could fight just as well as the others. So far, he had been doing really well! His Magnitude was fending off even the fiercest trainers. I told him that he could fight against Flannery, the fire type trainer. After all, he resisted her attacks.

When we got to the Pokemon Center to rest up, Brendan realized he still had that Zubat on him. He asked if he wanted to join the team, and the Zubat only nodded. Brendan asked if he wanted to be nicknamed Stoker. Only a nod. Honestly, he's pretty strange. He's just kept to himself the whole time. That didn't stop Cherokee from giving him a welcome. She promised to train him after our gym battle.

When we walked in the gym, we found Flannery nervously pacing back and forth around the gym. When Brendan asked her what she was doing, she snapped, acting as if she was an old man about to give a final exam to his students. She then sent out her Pokemon, asking us to send our "strongest beast" to battle. Of course, Brendan chose me to start. The first two were easy KOs: one Numel and one Slugma. She ended up sending in a Camerupt next. I used Water Gun, trying to take advantage of it's crippling water weakness. Instead, the Camerupt not only lived, but set up a Sunny Day. I knocked it out, but a Torkoal was up next. I wanted to try taking it down, but Outback stopped me.

"I think I can take it down!" I remember him telling Brendan. "I'm strong enough! Rupert's been helping me out!"

Brendan gave him the go ahead. I remember him going for a Magnitude, only getting a 5.

"It's okay, Rupert! I can do it! She can't-"

Right as he said that, Outback was engulfed in an Overheat. When the flames subsided, I remember Outback smiling. "See...? I told you I... I..."

Thump.

I remember feeling horrible. I had sent poor Outback to his death. I was ready to try and avenge him...

...but then the Torkoal had a White Herb.

Outback was sent out to die for nothing, and it was all my fault.

Jones took a bit of time to think, looking at Brendan and saying "Send me in." Brendan looked at him as if he had two heads, and Jones said "I can stall for time. You need Rupert to finish him off, and he can't do it as it is." Brendan just nodded with tears in his eyes, sending in Jones.

I remember Brendan commanding him to go for Yawn. Jones just looked back at me, saying "Well, I guess I don't you anything anymore, huh?"

All that was left was a pile of ash.

I remember Hermie looking completely distraught, while Cherokee looked as if she wanted to murder Flannery. I remember Flannery just looking confused, as if she didn't know whether or not she was supposed to continue.

"Rupert?" Brendan said to me with a somber tone.

"Mud Shot".

I remember how angry I became as I buried the Torkoal in piles of mud. Even its Attract wouldn't stop me from relieving my anger. I remember Flannery just looking helpless when her Torkoal was being subdued.

"I... I didn't mean to-"

That was enough for Brendan to hear. He called us back in our balls and ran out with what was left of Outback and Jones. He ran into May outside the gym, who berated him, saying that he was a terrible trainer for letting his Pokemon die.

"You done?" he asked after she finished her rant. May was taken completely aback from that statement. Brendan just went to the Pokemon Center and locked himself in the room. I remember seeing Penny, asking us how the fight went. Cherokee just broke down and began to cry.

I'm probably not going to write in this journal for a bit. I'm worn out...

Current Lineup

Spoiler

Rupert the Marshtomp (male)

Hermie the Dustox (male)

Cherokee the Swellow (female)

Penny the Vigoroth (female)

Sally the Torkoal (female)

Stoker the Zubat (male)