I'm new to spriting. Any tips?

Pandaa

Welp.

I know there is the Map/Screenshot/Sprite Showcase topic, but It seems to be dead.

So I'm just gonna post this here. (If it's the wrong place, just remove it or something)

I'm kinda new to mapping/spriting, so if there is anything wrong with em, just tell me.

*Warning, Big images*

*If I did something wrong by posting this, I'm really sorry, I'm

new here!*

Spoiler

Route 13:

bhgy6rZ.png

*Note, the custom tiles are edits of FR/LG tiles made by me.*

Anyone remembers this guy?

6fSfJuZ.png

And maybe this guy?

caukTEn.png

And if someone guesses who this is, you get a cookie! <3

pvIdTas.png

Is there anything wrong with the sprites or the map?

Thanks sooo much in advance! :D

Edited by Pandaa

1 hour ago, Pandaa said:

Welp.

I know there is the Map/Screenshot/Sprite Showcase topic, but It seems to be dead.

So I'm just gonna post this here. (If it's the wrong place, just remove it or something)

I'm kinda new to mapping/spriting, so if there is anything wrong with em, just tell me.

*Warning, Big images*

*If I did something wrong by posting this, I'm really sorry, I'm

new here!*

Hide contents

Route 13:

bhgy6rZ.png

*Note, the custom tiles are edits of FR/LG tiles made by me.*

Anyone remembers this guy?

6fSfJuZ.png

And maybe this guy?

caukTEn.png

And if someone guesses who this is, you get a cookie! <3

pvIdTas.png

Is there anything wrong with the sprites or the map?

Thanks sooo much in advance! :D

I don't know anything about sprites. :( 

But at least I can guess who they are:

Spoiler

Coolress, N and Alder.

And I'm sure someone should be helping you! :D 

8 minutes ago, Paul25 said:

I don't know anything about sprites. :( 

But at least I can guess who they are:

Hide contents

Coolress, N and Alder.

And I'm sure someone should be helping you! :D 

No cookie for you, but now that i think about, it looks more like him than the one I tried to make. :P

The other 2 where right tho

Edited by Pandaa

7 minutes ago, Pandaa said:

No cookie for you, but now that i think about, it looks more like him than the one I tried to make. :P

Cookie is tasty :P 

I'm sure someone may be able to identify those characters.

Yea they're recognizable.

I've done character sprite edits for Reborn and Rejuvenation and my tip is always look at ref as you go, if something looks off figure out why by example, but also know when to break off a bit. This is mainly for characters, but be sure to have a sketch of what you want.

For VS/Trainer card sprites you may also want to decide to either stay with pokemon's canon style or branch off a bit.

also!! If you want input, there's a few game mods here, but https://reliccastle.com/ is a forum that has many more fangame devs so I'd look around there for more opinions and tips.

also the last ones Lysandre.

Edited by Cataline

6 minutes ago, Cataline said:

Yea they're recognizable.

I've done character sprite edits for Reborn and Rejuvenation and my tip is always look at ref as you go, if something looks off figure out why by example, but also know when to break off a bit. This is mainly for characters, but be sure to have a sketch of what you want.

For VS/Trainer card sprites you may also want to decide to either stay with pokemon's canon style or branch off a bit.

also!! If you want input, there's a few game mods here, but https://reliccastle.com/ is a forum that has many more fangame devs so I'd look around there for more opinions and tips.

also the last ones Lysandre.

Cookie for you!

But seriously, thanks! I'll check out reliccastle. Mugshots and Trainer sprites are something I'll practice on since i suck at them.

6 minutes ago, Pandaa said:

Cookie for you!

But seriously, thanks! I'll check out reliccastle. Mugshots and Trainer sprites are something I'll practice on since i suck at them.

Woops pressed a wrong button.

Trainer sprites can be annoying but mugs. Ho boy. Those take hours for me. Use layers and sketches and be sure you don't mess up the pixel rule. You might not get it the first time around but you need to accept that and keep moving. It's not frowned upon to use bases, so feel free.

2 hours ago, Cataline said:

Woops pressed a wrong button.

Trainer sprites can be annoying but mugs. Ho boy. Those take hours for me. Use layers and sketches and be sure you don't mess up the pixel rule. You might not get it the first time around but you need to accept that and keep moving. It's not frowned upon to use bases, so feel free.

Thank you, I really, really appreciate it.

34 minutes ago, FoxRainbowHeart said:

Colress, N and Lysander?

Here's a cookie.

Here's a tip for anything you're working on. If you're not 100% proud of it, edit it. Don't let anything slip into your work that you're not proud of. Seems like a simple tip but it helps me a lot whenever I'm drawing or working on my own game.