Thoughts about starters!

Pandaa

*First post, yay!*

*And this is written on my phone*

Anyways, I've started making a game (Still in planning phase with a few sprites and tiles done) and I'm thinking about the starters. I want one for each type, and it would be nice if they all had 3 stages. So here are my ideas:

Spoiler

Fire: Magby

Water: Poliwag

Grass: Bounsweet

Flying: Fletchling

Dark: Sandile

Ghost: Duskull

Fairy: Flabebe

Rock: Roggenrola

Ground: Trapinch

Steel: Aron

Fighting: Timburr

Poison: Venipede

Bug: Sewaddle

Electric: Tynamo

Normal: Lillipup

Dragon: Axew

Psychic: Gothita

Ice: Vanilite

I think I could make them all evolve at maybe 20 and 35, but I'm not sure yet.

So if anyone has any suggestions, it would be really nice! 

Thanks in advance! <3

Edit: Added Ice type (that i forgot) and changed slakoth to lillipup.

Edit2: Spheal changed to Poliwag.

Edited by Pandaa

honestly i had the same idea, and while it could work, it might be best to allow any pokemon (2 stage or 3 stage lines) just in order to balance everything, unless you decide nerfing/buffing some of them. some of these pokemon seem a lot weaker (tynamo with only 5 moves before it evolves, slakoth who has truant for the majority of its time, etc.).

here's some other options, if you want:

normal: lillipup, starly (might be a bit too strong), pikipek

flying: starly (see above), pikipek (again)

psychic: solosis (purely because i love reuniclus but, of course, it's your choice!)

bug: grubbin (just because sewaddle has a LOT of weaknesses)

not sure what to put for dragon, but axew is honestly really OP early thanks to early dragon rage and dragon dance, so if you want to keep it there, i'd recommend editing its moves by level up. goomy or jangmo'o could be another choice, maybe, since they're a lot weaker early game?

level 20 and 35 does seem pretty decent though, especially for pokemon that really need to evolve earlier to become good like duskull, spheal, gothita, etc.

also, you seem to have forgotten an ice type ^^. swinub could be a good choice, or maybe even spheal (since you could choose another water type like lotad or tympole?)

anyway, good luck! hopefully someone else has some better ideas than me

14 minutes ago, BRS swag said:

You could add Vanillite as a starter for Ice. It has 3 evolution stages.

Yea, I thought about vanilite but it seems like i forgot to add him haha. Will edit the post.

13 minutes ago, Fumble said:

honestly i had the same idea, and while it could work, it might be best to allow any pokemon (2 stage or 3 stage lines) just in order to balance everything, unless you decide nerfing/buffing some of them. some of these pokemon seem a lot weaker (tynamo with only 5 moves before it evolves, slakoth who has truant for the majority of its time, etc.).

here's some other options, if you want:

normal: lillipup, starly (might be a bit too strong), pikipek

flying: starly (see above), pikipek (again)

psychic: solosis (purely because i love reuniclus but, of course, it's your choice!)

bug: grubbin (just because sewaddle has a LOT of weaknesses)

not sure what to put for dragon, but axew is honestly really OP early thanks to early dragon rage and dragon dance, so if you want to keep it there, i'd recommend editing its moves by level up. goomy or jangmo'o could be another choice, maybe, since they're a lot weaker early game?

level 20 and 35 does seem pretty decent though, especially for pokemon that really need to evolve earlier to become good like duskull, spheal, gothita, etc.

also, you seem to have forgotten an ice type ^^. swinub could be a good choice, or maybe even spheal (since you could choose another water type like lotad or tympole?)

anyway, good luck! hopefully someone else has some better ideas than me

Yea, I think i'll change normal to Lillipup.

Really like the tynamo line so I'll meds around with him.

I really like fletchling, but I guess he might be a bit op. Will probably change to pikipek if I can't find a good way to balance him out. Gothita over Solosis everyday ;)

And I'll tweak Axew's moveset a bit. Thanks for all the suggestions!

12 minutes ago, Cataline said:

I think Whismur or Lillipup would make better normal starters. They're more useful in battle and are probably more liked than the Slakoth line.

Changed to Lillipup. I really like slakoth tho, I think he's kinda cute :3 

Edited by Pandaa

8 minutes ago, Pandaa said:

I really like fletchling, but I guess he might be a bit op.

Fletchlings fallen from grace as of Gen  7, but use your better judgment, there's much to consider in pokemon choices

Did you consider Budew as either Grass or Poison -type starter? I'd like to suggest Poliwag as the Water -type starter, you can even choose between Poliwrath and Politoed. Since gen 7 is implemented in your game as well, Alolan Geodude might work as either Electric or Rock -type starter.

Edit: I forgot to mention Horsea might be another good alternative as a Water-type.

Edited by Zargerth

27 minutes ago, Cataline said:

Fletchlings fallen from grace as of Gen  7, but use your better judgment, there's much to consider in pokemon choices

Yea. We'll see how it goes!

25 minutes ago, Zargerth said:

Did you consider Budew as either Grass or Poison -type starter? I'd like to suggest Poliwag as the Water -type starter, you can even choose between Poliwrath and Politoed. Since gen 7 is implemented in your game as well, Alolan Geodude might work as either Electric or Rock -type starter.

Edit: I forgot to mention Horsea might be another good alternative as a Water-type.

I did consider Budew. Bounsweet is pretty... Sweet tho.

Poliwag could be great, but i don't know how to go about the 2 evolutions. 

Alolan geodude is a bit... Uhm. Let's say i really don't like geodude ;).

Horsea is good as well, i'll think i'll see when i actually have something playable and see wich would work best for my game.

Edited by Pandaa

Concerning Alolan Geodude, fair enough. I just suggested it because it's the only Alolan form to meet your criteria for starters.

What do you mean by saying you don't know how to go about Poliwags 2 evolutions? Unless you decide to change when and how some Pokemon evolve, the player needs to acquire evolution items like Reaper Cloth (to evolve Dusclops), Magmarizer and various Stones. Is Poliwag in your opinion somehow different? The way I see it is that should the player pick Poliwag, they can choose either Poliwrath or Politoed - the one they like more or the one that might be available to the player earlier on in the game.

13 minutes ago, Zargerth said:

Concerning Alolan Geodude, fair enough. I just suggested it because it's the only Alolan form to meet your criteria for starters.

What do you mean by saying you don't know how to go about Poliwags 2 evolutions? Unless you decide to change when and how some Pokemon evolve, the player needs to acquire evolution items like Reaper Cloth (to evolve Dusclops), Magmarizer and various Stones. Is Poliwag in your opinion somehow different? The way I see it is that should the player pick Poliwag, they can choose either Poliwrath or Politoed - the one they like more or the one that might be available to the player earlier on in the game.

I thought about making them evolve at lvl20 and lvl35 and tweak them a bit. But i guess i could make him evolve at lvl 35, and if It's a male it evolves to Poliwhrath and female politoed. Or i can just make them evolve with different stones. Maybe if the player chose poliwag it gets the choice to get one of those stones in the game.

Edited by Pandaa

33 minutes ago, BRS swag said:

Or you could do this: At Lvl 35, if Atk>SpAtk, then poliwrath. If Atk<SpAtk, then politoed.

I didn't think about that. You know, you are a legend. Seriously I think I'll do that.