Buff the Leaders

I don't know why, but Rejuvenation's story/plot just seems a lot more enticing than Reborn's. However, I feel that the Gym Battles in Reborn are so much more innovative because they abuse the fields they're on like hell. Many of the fields that you fight the leaders on can easily be used against them (most notably 2nd Keta, Narcissa, Valarie), and they really don't have any answers to them. So I thought I would throw some suggestions together to make these battles a little more memorable (in a "wtf how am I supposed to win" kind of way). This is for Normal Mode, since I don't really want to delve into Easy mode or legendary mons in Gym Battles. Not going to go into EVs/Natures either since I'm not really sure where in the game the Pokemon get EV trained (if at all).

Poison Leader: Venam

Spoiler

----PUNK GIRL VENAM: CORRUPTED FIELD----

I'm not really sure what field you fight her on, whether it be the old Poison Field or the Corrupted Field from Reborn. But this field gives Venam so many more options.

Trubbish L12

@ Oran Berry  
Ability: Aftermath  
- Toxic Spikes  
- Acid Spray  
- Spikes  
- Thief

Salandit L12

@ Oran Berry

Ability: Corrosion

- Thief

- Ember

- Venam's Kiss

- Fake Out

Grimer-Alola L13

@ Muscle Band

Ability: Poison Touch

- Shadow Sneak

- Payback

- Venam's Kiss

- Acid Armor

Mareanie L13

@ Mystic Water

Ability: Merciless

- Water Gun

- Venoshock

- Recover

- Venom Drench

Whirlipede L14

@ Eviolite

Ability: Poison Point

- Venom Drench

- Struggle Bug

- Venam's Kiss

- Infestation

Seviper L15

@ Telluric Seed

Ability: Shed Skin

- Venam's Kiss

- Payback

- Glare

- Rock Smash

The thing that urked me most about this fight was the fact that you could obtain the TM for Work Up before this fight, set up on Trubbish, and proceed to sweep half her team. Trubbish plays about the same role, with Toxic Spikes and Spikes, but Acid Spray allows it to weaken the player enough for Salandit to do some serious damage. It has Fake Out to do some cheap damage, and then it's ability on this field makes this thing scary strong, so I gave it some weak moves to make up for it. Thief on both these Pokemon lets them take your item after eating their berries. Next, Grimer is really there to just do damage, but can also get very strong with Acid Armor. Mareanie's Merciless comes into play as this Pokemon will be critting your mons every turn due to the field, and can get HP back with Recover, and has Venom Drench you to weaken you. Whirlipede's Eviolite and moves set up for Seviper to come in and absolutely crush your Pokemon. With the Telluric Seed, it can get one free turn with Baneful Bunker and can smash holes in your team with it's decent coverage. Tried to not make this fight too hard, but I'm sure the levels could be adjusted.

Fighting Leader: Keta

Spoiler

----SENSEI KETA: FOREST FIELD----

Unfortunately, Keta really can't abuse this field as much as I'd like him too, but at least his signature move gives him a boost on this field. Also, he's disgustingly under leveled, even for not being the "real leader", so to say. Really the strategy with him was brawns over brains.

Scraggy L23

@ Telluric Seed

Ability: Moxie

- Gale Strike

- Bulk Up

- Headbutt

- Smack Down

Heracross L23

@ King's Rock

Ability: Swarm

- Bullet Seed

- Rock Blast

- Gale Strike

- Pin Missile

Hawlucha L24

@ Wide Lens

Ability: Limber

- Aerial Ace 

- Gale Strike

- Work Up

- Rock Tomb

Breloom L24

@ Focus Sash

Ability: Effect Spore

- Spore

- Mach Punch

- Rock Tomb

- Wake-Up-Slap

Medicham L25

@ Muscle Band

Ability: Pure Power

- Ice Punch

- Gale Strike

- Confusion

- Hidden Power Rock

Lucario L26

@ Sitrus Berry

Ability: Inner Focus

- Hidden Power Rock

- Metal Claw

- Gale Strike

- Calm Mind

Not really much to say about his entire team, other than I tried to give him as much power as possible without making him broken. Scraggy leads to surprise any Psychic types, and has one free turn so it can Smack Down any birds. Heracross is there to do damage with field boosted Bullet Seed, Swarm Pin Missile, and knock down Flying types with Rock Blast and of course Gale Strike. I opted to give Hawlucha Limber instead of Unburden, as otherwise it would be too fast. Breloom is there to put your mons to sleep and slap them to death, while sporting the ever so annoying Effect Spore. Medicham is just there to be a mixed attacker, and Lucario can shut down the ever so popular Xatu/Swoobat with CM/HP Dark, and then it's STABs.

----REVENANT KETA: CRYSTAL CAVERN----

The Blessed Field does absolutely nothing for Keta. If anything, a Psychic Type can easily just sweep his entire team with the field boost. I don't know if it's a bug in V9, but normal Revenant Keta only has 4 Pokemon. Heracross's job is basically to just turn the Crystal Cavern into a Cave. The Cave Field heavily nerfs that nasty Air Slash from the psychic birds, and gives Keta a way to deal with birds in general. Also, I don't really know why his team changes so dramatically, so I kept his team pretty much the same with tweaks to accommodate for the field change.

Heracross L26

@ Focus Sash

- Bulldoze

- Rock Blast

- Gale Strike

- Pin Missile

Scraggy L25

@ Hard Stone

- Gale Strike

- Bulk Up

- Smack Down

- Headbutt

Hawlucha L26

@ Berry Juice

Ability: Unburden

- Aerial Ace 

- Gale Strike

- Work Up

- Rock Tomb

Breloom L26

@ Miracle Seed

Ability: Technician

- Spore

- Mach Punch

- Rock Tomb

- Bullet Seed

Medicham L27

@ Muscle Band

- Ice Punch

- Gale Strike

- Round

- Hidden Power Rock

Lucario L28

@ Sitrus Berry

- Hidden Power Rock

- Round

- Gale Strike

- Calm Mind

Basically the same. Heracross now has Bulldoze to change Amethyst Cave into a Cave. Changed Scraggy's item to reflect the field. Hawlucha is basically the same. Breloom now has Technician and a more offensive movepool. Medicham now has Round added to it's arsenal in favor of Confusion to get power from the field. Lucario also got Round, and HP Rock to defend against Fire and Flying types.

Normal Leader: Marianette

Spoiler

Honestly, I actually really liked how difficult she was. Her Porygon2 was a pain, and so was her Cincinno and Bewear. I just wanted her team to work with the field, as Pyroar was often a joke and just spammed Snarl even though it got a huge nerf.

----CHILD OF LIGHT MARIANETTE: HOLY FIELD----

Delcatty L31

@ Sitrus Berry

Ability: Wonder Skin

- Cosmic Power

- Wish

- Charge Beam

- Multipulse

Cinccino L31

@ King's Rock

Ability: Skill Link

- Tail Slap

- Rock Blast

- Bullet Seed

- Dazzling Gleam

Chatot L31

@ Wise Glasses

Ability: Tangled Feet

- Chatter

- Uproar

- Hidden Power Ground

- Nasty Plot

Porygon2 L32

@ Leftovers

Ability: Trace

- Psyshock

- Shock Wave

- Recover

- Tri Attack

Wigglytuff L32

@ Lum Berry

Ability: Competitive

- Wish

- Dazzling Gleam 

- Multipulse

- Thunder Wave

Bewear L33

@ Muscle Band

Ability: Fluffy

- Bulldoze

- Brutal Swing

- Multipulse

- Brick Break

This Marianette makes use of more buffs in the Holy Field. Delcatty is up first to just set up with Cosmic Power and Charge Beam, then Multipulse to hit like a truck. Cincinno looks about the same, but now instead of U-Turn has Dazzling Gleam to deal with the annoying Fighting types, and gets a big boost from the field. Chatot is there to set up and tear through Pokemon with Uproar. Porygon2 looks the same. Wigglytuff is there to shut down Fighting Types and be annoying with Thunder Wave. Finally, Bewear and it's disgusting coverage is there to clean up.

Rejuvenation is a really enjoyable game. Like it's nearly flawless. Like amazingly flawless.

But, the Gym Battles could be molded more towards the field, instead of Narcissa just Ghostly Wailing every to death.

14 minutes ago, TheWaddleDee said:

I don't know why, but Rejuvenation's story/plot just seems a lot more enticing than Reborn's. However, I feel that the Gym Battles in Reborn are so much more innovative because they abuse the fields they're on like hell. Many of the fields that you fight the leaders on can easily be used against them (most notably 2nd Keta, Narcissa, Valarie), and they really don't have any answers to them. So I thought I would throw some suggestions together to make these battles a little more memorable (in a "wtf how am I supposed to win" kind of way). This is for Normal Mode, since I don't really want to delve into Easy mode or legendary mons in Gym Battles. Not going to go into EVs/Natures either since I'm not really sure where in the game the Pokemon get EV trained (if at all).

Reveal hidden contents

I'm not really sure what field you fight her on, whether it be the old Poison Field or the Corrupted Field from Reborn. But this field gives Venam so many more options.

Trubbish L12

@ Oran Berry  
- Toxic Spikes  
- Acid Spray  
- Spikes  
- Thief

Salandit L12

@ Oran Berry

- Thief

- Ember

- Venam's Kiss

- Fake Out

Grimer-Alola L13

@ Muscle Band

- Shadow Sneak

- Payback

- Venam's Kiss

- Acid Armor

Mareanie L13

@ Mystic Water

- Water Gun

- Venoshock

- Recover

- Venom Drench

Whirlipede L14

@ Eviolite

- Venom Drench

- Struggle Bug

- Venam's Kiss

- Infestation

Seviper L15

@ Telluric Seed

- Venam's Kiss

- Payback

- Glare

- Rock Smash

The thing that urked me most about this fight was the fact that you could obtain the TM for Work Up before this fight, set up on Trubbish, and proceed to sweep half her team. Trubbish plays about the same role, with Toxic Spikes and Spikes, but Acid Spray allows it to weaken the player enough for Salandit to do some serious damage. It has Fake Out to do some cheap damage, and then it's ability on this field makes this thing scary strong, so I gave it some weak moves to make up for it. Thief on both these Pokemon lets them take your item after eating their berries. Next, Grimer is really there to just do damage, but can also get very strong with Acid Armor. Mareanie's Merciless comes into play as this Pokemon will be critting your mons every turn due to the field, and can get HP back with Recover, and has Venom Drench you to weaken you. Whirlipede's Eviolite and moves set up for Seviper to come in and absolutely crush your Pokemon. With the Telluric Seed, it can get one free turn with Baneful Bunker and can smash holes in your team with it's decent coverage. Tried to not make this fight too hard, but I'm sure the levels could be adjusted.

Reveal hidden contents

Unfortunately, Keta really can't abuse this field as much as I'd like him too, but at least his signature move gives him a boost on this field. Also, he's disgustingly under leveled, even for not being the "real leader", so to say. Really the strategy with him was brawns over brains.

Scraggy L23

@ Telluric Seed

- Gale Strike

- Bulk Up

- Headbutt

- Smack Down

Heracross L23

@ King's Rock

- Bullet Seed

- Rock Blast

- Gale Strike

- Pin Missile

Hawlucha L24

@ Wide Lens

- Aerial Ace 

- Gale Strike

- Work Up

- Rock Tomb

Breloom L24

@ Focus Sash

- Spore

- Mach Punch

- Rock Tomb

- Wake-Up-Slap

Medicham L25

@ Muscle Band

- Ice Punch

- Gale Strike

- Confusion

- Hidden Power Rock

Lucario L26

@ Sitrus Berry

- Hidden Power Rock

- Metal Claw

- Gale Strike

- Calm Mind

Not really much to say about his entire team, other than I tried to give him as much power as possible without making him broken. Scraggy leads to surprise any Psychic types, and has one free turn so it can Smack Down any birds. Heracross is there to do damage with field boosted Bullet Seed, Swarm Pin Missile, and knock down Flying types with Rock Blast and of course Gale Strike. I opted to give Hawlucha Limber instead of Unburden, as otherwise it would be too fast. Breloom is there to put your mons to sleep and slap them to death, while sporting the ever so annoying Effect Spore. Medicham is just there to be a mixed attacker, and Lucario can shut down the ever so popular Xatu/Swoobat with CM/HP Dark, and then it's STABs.

The Blessed Field does absolutely nothing for Keta. If anything, a Psychic Type can easily just sweep his entire team with the field boost. I don't know if it's a bug in V9, but normal Revenant Keta only has 4 Pokemon. Heracross's job is basically to just turn the Crystal Cavern into a Cave. The Cave Field heavily nerfs that nasty Air Slash from the psychic birds, and gives Keta a way to deal with birds in general. Also, I don't really know why his team changes so dramatically, so I kept his team pretty much the same with tweaks to accommodate for the field change.

Heracross L26

@ Focus Sash

- Bulldoze

- Rock Blast

- Gale Strike

- Pin Missile

Scraggy L25

@ Hard Stone

- Gale Strike

- Bulk Up

- Smack Down

- Headbutt

Hawlucha L26

@ Berry Juice

- Aerial Ace 

- Gale Strike

- Work Up

- Rock Tomb

Breloom L26

@ Miracle Seed

- Spore

- Mach Punch

- Rock Tomb

- Bullet Seed

Medicham L27

@ Muscle Band

- Ice Punch

- Gale Strike

- Round

- Hidden Power Rock

Lucario L28

@ Sitrus Berry

- Hidden Power Rock

- Round

- Gale Strike

- Calm Mind

Basically the same. Heracross now has Bulldoze to change Amethyst Cave into a Cave. Changed Scraggy's item to reflect the field. Hawlucha is basically the same. Breloom now has Technician and a more offensive movepool. Medicham now has Round added to it's arsenal in favor of Confusion to get power from the field. Lucario also got Round, and HP Rock to defend against Fire and Flying types.

Reveal hidden contents

Honestly, I actually really liked how difficult she was. Her Porygon2 was a pain, and so was her Cincinno and Bewear. I just wanted her team to work with the field, as Pyroar was often a joke and just spammed Snarl even though it got a huge nerf.

Delcatty L31

@ Sitrus Berry

- Cosmic Power

- Wish

- Charge Beam

- Multipulse

Cinccino L31

@ King's Rock

- Tail Slap

- Rock Blast

- Bullet Seed

- Dazzling Gleam

Chatot L31

@ Wise Glasses

- Chatter

- Uproar

- Hidden Power Ground

- Nasty Plot

Porygon2 L32

@ Leftovers

- Psyshock

- Shock Wave

- Recover

- Tri Attack

Wigglytuff L32

@ Lum Berry

- Wish

- Dazzling Gleam 

- Multipulse

- Thunder Wave

Bewear L33

@ Muscle Band

- Bulldoze

- Brutal Swing

- Multipulse

- Brick Break

This Marianette makes use of more buffs in the Holy Field. Delcatty is up first to just set up with Cosmic Power and Charge Beam, then Multipulse to hit like a truck. Cincinno looks about the same, but now instead of U-Turn has Dazzling Gleam to deal with the annoying Fighting types, and gets a big boost from the field. Chatot is there to set up and tear through Pokemon with Uproar. Porygon2 looks the same. Wigglytuff is there to shut down Fighting Types and be annoying with Thunder Wave. Finally, Bewear and it's disgusting coverage is there to clean up.

Rejuvenation is a really enjoyable game. Like it's nearly flawless. Like amazingly flawless.

But, the Gym Battles could be molded more towards the field, instead of Narcissa just Ghostly Wailing every to death.

Personally, i disagree, even tho Rejuvenation has more plot twists and some details better than Reborn, is still very raw and fails alot when it comes to delivery or commitment to character's personalities... Yet again, it's just my opinion. 

1 hour ago, TheWaddleDee said:

Hide contents

Trubbish L12

@ Oran Berry  
- Toxic Spikes  
- Acid Spray  
- Spikes  
- Thief

Salandit L12

@ Oran Berry

- Thief

- Ember

- Venam's Kiss

- Fake Out

Grimer-Alola L13

@ Muscle Band

- Shadow Sneak

- Payback

- Venam's Kiss

- Acid Armor

Mareanie L13

@ Mystic Water

- Water Gun

- Venoshock

- Recover

- Venom Drench

Whirlipede L14

@ Eviolite

- Venom Drench

- Struggle Bug

- Venam's Kiss

- Infestation

Seviper L15

@ Telluric Seed

- Venam's Kiss

- Payback

- Glare

- Rock Smash

Reveal hidden contents

Scraggy L23

@ Telluric Seed

- Gale Strike

- Bulk Up

- Headbutt

- Smack Down

Heracross L23

@ King's Rock

- Bullet Seed

- Rock Blast

- Gale Strike

- Pin Missile

Hawlucha L24

@ Wide Lens

- Aerial Ace 

- Gale Strike

- Work Up

- Rock Tomb

Breloom L24

@ Focus Sash

- Spore

- Mach Punch

- Rock Tomb

- Wake-Up-Slap

Medicham L25

@ Muscle Band

- Ice Punch

- Gale Strike

- Confusion

- Hidden Power Rock

Lucario L26

@ Sitrus Berry

- Hidden Power Rock

- Metal Claw

- Gale Strike

- Calm Mind

Heracross L26

@ Focus Sash

- Bulldoze

- Rock Blast

- Gale Strike

- Pin Missile

Scraggy L25

@ Hard Stone

- Gale Strike

- Bulk Up

- Smack Down

- Headbutt

Hawlucha L26

@ Berry Juice

- Aerial Ace 

- Gale Strike

- Work Up

- Rock Tomb

Breloom L26

@ Miracle Seed

- Spore

- Mach Punch

- Rock Tomb

- Bullet Seed

Medicham L27

@ Muscle Band

- Ice Punch

- Gale Strike

- Round

- Hidden Power Rock

Lucario L28

@ Sitrus Berry

- Hidden Power Rock

- Round

- Gale Strike

- Calm Mind

Hide contents

Delcatty L31

@ Sitrus Berry

- Cosmic Power

- Wish

- Charge Beam

- Multipulse

Cinccino L31

@ King's Rock

- Tail Slap

- Rock Blast

- Bullet Seed

- Dazzling Gleam

Chatot L31

@ Wise Glasses

- Chatter

- Uproar

- Hidden Power Ground

- Nasty Plot

Porygon2 L32

@ Leftovers

- Psyshock

- Shock Wave

- Recover

- Tri Attack

Wigglytuff L32

@ Lum Berry

- Wish

- Dazzling Gleam 

- Multipulse

- Thunder Wave

Bewear L33

@ Muscle Band

- Bulldoze

- Brutal Swing

- Multipulse

- Brick Break

Just a few thing: Porygon2 should be holding "eviolite" to make thins a bit harder, and yes, while delcatty is a good option, is just not that good. Is better to stay with her Heliolisk IMO.

Great analisis you made there!

2 hours ago, TheWaddleDee said:

The thing that urked me most about this fight was the fact that you could obtain the TM for Work Up before this fight, set up on Trubbish, and proceed to sweep half her team. Trubbish plays about the same role, with Toxic Spikes and Spikes, but Acid Spray allows it to weaken the player enough for Salandit to do some serious damage. It has Fake Out to do some cheap damage, and then it's ability on this field makes this thing scary strong, so I gave it some weak moves to make up for it. Thief on both these Pokemon lets them take your item after eating their berries.

You could say the same about Skrelp on Corey's gym in Reborn. The thing's so weak, I set up 4 growths on Roselia and swept her entire team except for Crobat, thanks to it outspeeding. Skrelp doesn't even know Acid Spray, which makes it so much easier to set up and sweep against it.

I completely disagree with your first statement about Reborn/Rejuvenation though, Reborn's plot makes me want more, more, more while Rejuvenation kinda goes on the "meh" side. It's probably because of the multitude of characters in Rejuv, and it ended up with me not caring for any of their motivations. I couldn't even get myself to play on after Eric's badge, it got seriously boring

2 hours ago, TheWaddleDee said:

Sorry to unintentionally advertise my own run, but uhhh...if the game was so flawless, what have I spent the last I don't know 12 logs posting? But uhh we're not here to talk about Rejuv's faults in story (or Reborn's) but uhh as someone with writing experience for a long while, Reborn's story is much better WRITTEN and DESIGNED than Rejuv's. That isn't an opinion, but a fact as it stands right now. Of course this is also like comparing FF7 to Xenogears so let's not get too into it.

As for battles, I can at least tell you the problem with Reborn's battles. They rely too much on their gimmicks to win or do strategy. While it is a very unique concept to use field effects and all their crazy, if not ingenious, designs, but that's not everything that goes into a battle. That just my thoughts, but Rejuv is a whole different kind of mess. But if you guys really want team ideas or how to team design I suppose I can at least give you how I'd revamp Venam:

Venam

Required Pokemon: Seviper, "Whirlpede", Trubbish

Trubbish

Item: Eviolite

-Stockpile

-Toxic Spikes

-Acid Spray

-Giga Drain

Roselia (Guns 'n Roses reference)

Item: Miracle Seed

-Sleep Powder

-Growth

-Poison Jab

-Petal Blizzard

Qwilfish

Item: Black Sludge

-Toxic Spikes

-Spikes

-Brine

-Venam's Kiss

Zubat

Item: Muscle Band

-Leech Life

-Bite

-Wing Attack

-Poison Fang

Whirlpede (Rock 'N Roll Strat)

-Defense Curl

-Rollout

-Bug Bite

-Baton Pass/Protect

Seviper

Item: Lum Berry

-Bite

-Glare

-Venam's Kiss

-Rest

Now before y'all say, "Woobat can easily set up on this team" that's kind of the point. There's an easy way out, but beyond that, this team is meant to test a players skill and if they rely on one single Pokemon, they may end up costing the game with a Batton Pass Speed boost possibly onto seviper. Jan kind of forced Venam to have Trubbish and Seviper, but Venpide is kind of a shove in due to the whole gym thing, but uhh...I'd rather give her a beedrill. Those things are scary if designed well. NOT mega Beedrill but just Beedrill.

On a different note, I'm really disappointed in the designs for the Keta fight you made. You literally just slapped him with what's considered some of the best fighting types (Hawlucha is literally a staple for high level fighting monos in team design) and called it a day. The Hitmons, Sawk and Throh, Gallade, and Hariyama all thrive here with the ability to easily adjust their difficulty. Poliwrath is also another interesting choice if you don't have ideas. And heck, Crabominable is a thing. Yes, I would use Crabominable on Keta's team.

I don't know about normal, both my runs are on Intense difficulty,   and i can say that  the major fights were very easy this time around,  with only  Angie needing some more attempts than normal because  she relies on evasion hax ....

Then again im someone who has a roster of over 12 mons  so i may or may not be the best example for measuring difficulty

Edited by DemICE

i actually really like this idea, but i do feel like these teams could get a bit of a touch up, though im not that great of a teambuilder so

for venam

i honestly don't like the idea of having salandit when its only special attack is ember (especially because trubbish's job was to acid spray). salandit's attack is already really bad anyway, so... venoshock > venam's kiss, though that might make it a bit too broken? idk.

whirlipede should probably speed boost + baton pass rather than totally being offensive imo, though i have no idea if the AI is smart enough to actually do that

bite > payback on seviper, especially bc glare will probably let you outspeed most things the player could have

actually huh maybe you could put a grass/poison type on her team since powder moves have 100% accuracy and grass knot gets boosted on the corrupted field? nice to deal with ground types, and i think almost all of them learn some kind of set up move (growth or work up?)

for keta

uhhhh yeah agree with commander here. i feel like there really wasn't much creativity going on? there's a lot of other fighting types to choose from (like the aforementioned hariyama and poliwrath). crabominable is a pretty neato idea i would probably never have come up with, kudos to commander.

heracross/breloom are pretty nifty on the forest field though, but don't they sorta have similar typed moves (grass/fighting/rock)?

but honestly im not sure how to build a team on the blessed field for him, since i agree that the pokemon on the two teams should be the same :/

for marianette

i actually appreciate her normal difficulty, but i accidentally cheesed the fight by using curse, changing the field to a haunted one. so i def like her having dazzling gleam, even if it just was for the fighting types, since that changes her field back to normal (though the field effects guide doesn't state it; i discovered it when i just used dazzling gleam against narcissa's haunted field and it changed to a blessed one)

i know you chose delcatty because of cosmic power, but delcatty honestly isn't a very good pokemon. it'll probably die before it can even set up, unfortunately. imo change it back to heliolisk? or drampa, with its dragon moves? or girafarig? honestly idk

anw look forward to your next ones! especially valarie bc that fight is pretty easy to sweep once lanturn goes down, if you have an electric type.

11 hours ago, Commander said:

Sorry to unintentionally advertise my own run, but uhhh...if the game was so flawless, what have I spent the last I don't know 12 logs posting? But uhh we're not here to talk about Rejuv's faults in story (or Reborn's) but uhh as someone with writing experience for a long while, Reborn's story is much better WRITTEN and DESIGNED than Rejuv's. That isn't an opinion, but a fact as it stands right now. Of course this is also like comparing FF7 to Xenogears so let's not get too into it.

As for battles, I can at least tell you the problem with Reborn's battles. They rely too much on their gimmicks to win or do strategy. While it is a very unique concept to use field effects and all their crazy, if not ingenious, designs, but that's not everything that goes into a battle. That just my thoughts, but Rejuv is a whole different kind of mess. But if you guys really want team ideas or how to team design I suppose I can at least give you how I'd revamp Venam:

Hide contents

Venam

Required Pokemon: Seviper, "Whirlpede", Trubbish

Trubbish

-Stockpile

-Toxic Spikes

-Acid Spray

-Giga Drain

Roselia (Guns 'n Roses reference)

Item: Miracle Seed

-Sleep Powder

-Growth

-Poison Jab

-Petal Blizzard

Qwilfish

Item: Black Sludge

-Toxic Spikes

-Spikes

-Brine

-Venam's Kiss

Zubat

Item: Muscle Band

-Leech Life

-Bite

-Wing Attack

-Poison Fang

Whirlpede (Rock 'N Roll Strat)

-Defense Curl

-Rollout

-Bug Bite

-Baton Pass/Protect

Seviper

Item: Lum Berry

-Bite

-Glare

-Venam's Kiss

-Rest

Now before y'all say, "Woobat can easily set up on this team" that's kind of the point. There's an easy way out, but beyond that, this team is meant to test a players skill and if they rely on one single Pokemon, they may end up costing the game with a Batton Pass Speed boost possibly onto seviper. Jan kind of forced Venam to have Trubbish and Seviper, but Venpide is kind of a shove in due to the whole gym thing, but uhh...I'd rather give her a beedrill. Those things are scary if designed well. NOT mega Beedrill but just Beedrill.

On a different note, I'm really disappointed in the designs for the Keta fight you made. You literally just slapped him with what's considered some of the best fighting types (Hawlucha is literally a staple for high level fighting monos in team design) and called it a day. The Hitmons, Sawk and Throh, Gallade, and Hariyama all thrive here with the ability to easily adjust their difficulty. Poliwrath is also another interesting choice if you don't have ideas. And heck, Crabominable is a thing. Yes, I would use Crabominable on Keta's team.

Honestly, I feel like the gimmicks are actually really more interesting than just raw power. I mean, that's really what I loved about all of Reborn's gym battles bar a few (like old Charlotte where none of my mons could survive an Eruption from Typhlosion). 

I guess I'll try to explain what I did with Keta. Lucario, Medicham, and Hawlucha were all on his team originally, and I kept their movesets pretty similar (I think.) Scraggy is there to deal with the Xatus and Swoobats that can easily sweep him, and Heracross as well as Breloom are really just there to abuse the field. I can see where your criticisms come from, I just really focused on the gimmicks, I guess. 

I feel like the best approach for this would be for the gym leaders to play more to their fields' gimmicks and have the encounters with the villainous team admins take a more traditional teambuilding approach to their rosters. That way you have a mix of both, with the gym leaders sort of serving as soft-puzzle bosses. There'd be a variety of ways you can beat them, but there'd always be a couple easy outs (such as Swoobat vs Commander's draft of Venam).

On 7/11/2017 at 2:39 PM, TheWaddleDee said:

Honestly, I feel like the gimmicks are actually really more interesting than just raw power. I mean, that's really what I loved about all of Reborn's gym battles bar a few (like old Charlotte where none of my mons could survive an Eruption from Typhlosion). 

The most gimmicky fight I designed had absolutely nothing to do with a field even so saying you like gimmicks over raw power when you design teams to fight...with raw power is a little...contradictory. Field effects in a nutshell let a certain type hit harder and take less damage. And I mean the hardest fights in Reborn and the ones people remember are the fights where fields work with the Pokemon instead of teams designed for that field. Reg Reborn's Corey, HC Julia, and Charlotte. Florinia is the best example of a team designed to for that specific field and her only really good Pokemon is Maractus due to that. In other words, use the gimmick, but don't rely on it.

As for Keta, I uhh...don't know how the forest field works (I assume the same as in Reg Reborn) so I guess I'd do something like this:

Throh

-Gale Strike
-Bulldoze
-Rock Slide
-Payback

Passimian
-Fling
-Gale Strike
-Smack Down
-U-turn

Croagunk
-Poison Jab
-Sucker Punch
-Revenge
-Bullet Punch

Hariyama (Z-move user)
-Belly Drum
-Bullet Punch
-Brick Break
-Knock Off

Combusken
-Cut
-Overheat
-Aerial Ace
-Double Kick

Lucario (could make Hawlucha tbh)
-Metal Claw/Bone Club
-Grass Knot
-Gale Strike
-Dark Pulse/Shadow Ball

Yeah, yeah I know I removed Medicham and Hawlucha, but quite honestly, Hawlucha is one of the most threatening fighting types to choose from and Medicham is not really a pushover mon either. Not great, but certainly not bad. Of course in Intense he has a bloody Mienshao to boot. This team is kind of designed to match Keta's power from before except not using stereotypical Pokemon. Cut on Combusken is probably one the scariest moves as it covers two of its weaknesses. He's the second gym leader and this is kind of a mid-boss so I wouldn't want to make him too difficult.

That's all the sample team leader designs I'm willing to do right now as I haven't seen the adjusted new teams for gen vii. I do know Revenant Keta got nerfed hard which saddens me. I'd have to think how to approach that one.

• 4 weeks later...

I can see why some people might not like the field gimmicks. It's one thing to have a field effect boost type power, it's another thing to have them change the type coverage charts. With that said though, I definitely think the first 2-3 gym leaders were by far the hardest. Imo if any gym leader needs buffs, it's the latter ones. I accidentally beat the lastest gym fight even while 7-8 lvs under. It's not so much the gym leader pkmn being weak, it's more that in late game, player team comps finally get fleshed out which is a way bigger deal imo.