Need help with computer connectivity and battery problems

• Global Mods

One of these issues just happened this afternoon and one has been happening for months. 

When I woke up from a nap around 4:30 PM this afternoon, I found that I didn't have internet access on some devices. Disconnecting and reconnecting worked for phone, but not for laptop. For laptop, here's what I tried that didn't work: 

-disconnecting and reconnecting -restarting

-shutting down and turning it back on

-letting the laptop search for the problem. This actually did work...for a few minutes before the connection went out again. Rinse and repeat until this stopped working altogether. 

It may be worth noting there was a thunderstorm here, but that doesn't explain why my laptop is having connection issues while all other devices either didn't have issues or were fixed by disconnecting and reconnecting. 

For the battery issue: this has been happening since at least April, maybe earlier. I don't remember exactly when it started. Even though my laptop is plugged in, it isn't charging and the percentage gradually goes down. Right now it's at 46%. I remember having this issue before and finding a solution that was easy to do and worked (IIRC something about switching battery modes and/or uninstalling something) but that didn't work when I tried it this time after it started a few months ago. 

If anyone has any ideas, please let me know. Keep in mind if you use words like router, adapter, etc. you'll have to explain what they mean. I've heard those words in relation to wifi connection before but don't know what they are. 

no internet access? you mean to the net itself or you can't connect to the wifi?

does your laptop have an indicator light that turns on when you plugged it in for charging? If so does it light up? 

• Global Mods
19 minutes ago, sailboat said:

no internet access? you mean to the net itself or you can't connect to the wifi?

does your laptop have an indicator light that turns on when you plugged it in for charging? If so does it light up? 

I'm connected to the network but it's saying no internet access. Actually it's alternating between saying internet access and no internet access, but even when it says internet access there's still no internet access. 

Where it displays the battery, it has a plug icon that shows when it's plugged in. 

UPDATE: Now possibly having issues with phone too. All of a sudden it'll lose connection and I have to turn it off and in again for it to come back on. It happened 3 times so far. 

for your connectivity issue... i think the problem is with your isp. What does the laptop say when you let it troubleshoot the problem on connectivity?

so the plug icon does it show when you plug it?

-had you tried a different charger? how bout a different battery?

Edited by sailboat

• Global Mods
8 minutes ago, sailboat said:

for your connectivity issue... i think the problem is with your isp. What does the laptop say when you let it troubleshoot the problem on connectivity?

so the plug icon does it show when you plug it?

-had you tried a different charger? how bout a different battery?

During the times when it connected again for a few minutes it said something about not finding the gateway. After doing that stopped working it said something different, but I forget what it said. 

I only have one charger. I assume I only have one battery, but I'm not sure. The part of the laptop I assume the battery is in I don't know how to open. 

47 minutes ago, Ice Cream Sand Witch said:

During the times when it connected again for a few minutes it said something about not finding the gateway. After doing that stopped working it said something different, but I forget what it said. 

I only have one charger. I assume I only have one battery, but I'm not sure. The part of the laptop I assume the battery is in I don't know how to open. 

yep im 90% sure that connectivity problems is with your isp. Ask them perhaps they are performing some maintenance or smth.

Dang. I wanted to ask if you could remove the battery and just plug in your laptop with the charger alone to see if the charger is enough to boot up your laptop. Anyway, you are sure that you uninstall/reinstall drivers of battery? how bout charger? My suspect is that your charger port on the laptop is loose... Wait i wanna know while the charger is connected, does your laptop say or indicate that its charging? If not my other suspect is that your laptop is 'being smart' that it will only charge the battery after it reaches a certain point.(this is an annoying feature that comes from certain models and i think some OS have this annoying feature iirc)

edit:

had you tried this?

1. turn off laptop and remove charger from the wall outlet 

2. wait for 5mins~10mins

3. plug in your charger and laptop to a different wall outlet preferable if on a different room.

4. check if it starts charging

Edited by sailboat

• Global Mods
42 minutes ago, sailboat said:

yep im 90% sure that connectivity problems is with your isp. Ask them perhaps they are performing some maintenance or smth.

Dang. I wanted to ask if you could remove the battery and just plug in your laptop with the charger alone to see if the charger is enough to boot up your laptop. Anyway, you are sure that you uninstall/reinstall drivers of battery? how bout charger? My suspect is that your charger port on the laptop is loose... Wait i wanna know while the charger is connected, does your laptop say or indicate that its charging? If not my other suspect is that your laptop is 'being smart' that it will only charge the battery after it reaches a certain point.(this is an annoying feature that comes from certain models and i think some OS have this annoying feature iirc)

edit:

had you tried this?

1. turn off laptop and remove charger from the wall outlet 

2. wait for 5mins~10mins

3. plug in your charger and laptop to a different wall outlet preferable if on a different room.

4. check if it starts charging

On the bottom right of the screen is the battery icon, and when it's plugged in there's a charge/plug icon in it too. When hovering over the battery icon, it mentions the percentage and whether or not it's charging. For the charging part right now it says "plugged in, not charging". 

I'm not sure that it only charges the battery when it gets to a certain point, as I always keep my laptop charged in. It's never gone down below 100% due to always being plugged in except for when I'm experiencing this issue. 

For the charger being loose, I've tried unplugging and plugging back in, but it doesn't work. 

I haven't done that, but I'll try it. Thanks for the suggestion! 

• Global Mods

UPDATE 

The battery is now fully charged again. Unplugging the charger, waiting for some time, and then plugging it back in worked. 

Network connection still not working. I tried disconnecting and waiting a few minutes before reconnecting as opposed to reconnecting immediately, which restored the internet connection for a minute or two, but then it went out again. Later on I noticed the network icon went from having the yellow no internet triangle to saying internet access, but again it only lasted a minute before going out again.

@sailboat you mentioned possible isp issues earlier. What's an isp? 

@5hift: it's an HP Notebook according to the sticker. I'm not sure if that means it's an HP Pavilion. 

If you type in dxdiag in the bottom search bar it'll run a program that tells you the model and specs of your device.

I know my old HP Pavilion 17 had some issues with starting up and charging. So what'd I have to do is take the battery pack out and put it back in. If your laptop has a visibly detachable battery pack on the underside I suggest you try taking it out and putting it back in. If it doesn't then don't bother with this idea.

As for your internet connection, have you just tried turning your modem of and on again?

HP does put out some wonky products. An old HP laptop will definitely start having problems.

Edited by 5hift

ISP-internet Service Provider its the company that granted you access to the internet. If you're on a data plan it's the company that provided that plan but most of the time its the same company where you got your wifi modem

• Global Mods

Internet is back now! I don't know all the details, but apparently some people were testing out some cables. 

It's interesting to think that if this connection problem didn't happen, I'd still be having the battery problem, since it was asking for help here that led me to try the charger solution. Unplugging and replugging didn't work before, but that might've been because I replugged immediately instead of waiting a few minutes. 

I'm going to close this thread now since the problem is solved. Thanks to everyone who posted here for helping!