The Bug Run from Hell

Athea Andrea

In The Beginning... There was a Challenge

I, my friends, didn't start this run without reason. I initially just wanted to do some sort of Monotype run - maybe Dark or Poison, perhaps Fighting or Flying - and I brought this up to my closest frenemy, Cat. She, being a nefarious fiend who'd grow annoyed when I'd bring up Reborn, decided that rather than shutting me down when I brought it up, she'd get nefarious on me. So, when I asked her what type I should do it with, she eventually came to a conclusion: Bug types. But not every Bug type. No Bug-Poison. No Scyther line. And with that, the gauntlet had been thrown, and I was ready to accept her challenge.

Admittedly, this is probably gonna start as some very brief accounts and mostly just team updates, barring bosses and other notable events, like evolutions and such, but hey, I'm not required to have incredible writing skills for this sort of thing. And who knows? Maybe I'll get better.

A Late Start to Documenting

So, I start this account of my journey a bit late. I just finally finished Julia, and dear Arceus man, she was ridiculously hard to beat. I eventually beat her having only lost 3 Pokemon of my 5, but that took a combination of luck, RNGesus deciding one of her Voltorbs would miss Roll Out on Maestro the Kricketune, Maestro the Kricketune cooperating somehow while both paralyzed and overleveled, Aizawa the Swadloon secretly having a just powerful enough Bug Bite to 2HKO her Emolga I never noticed because I'd keep spamming Razor Leaf, and so many other flukes and bits of dumb luck there's no way I'd ever beat her again with my team. But I somehow did. And here, my friends, they are (admittedly, the levels are post-battle):

• 290.gif Musashi (Male, Lvl 12, SHINY)
    • No item
    • Nature: Adamant
    • Ability: Compound Eyes
    • Moves:
      • Leech Life
      • Scratch
      • Harden 
      • Sand Attack
  • 165.gif Cole (Female, Lvl 16)
    • No item
    • Nature: Quiet
    • Ability: Early Bird
    • Moves:
      • Tackle
      • Reflect
      • Comet Punch
      • Light Screen
  • 012.gif Meepmorp (Female, Lvl 14)
    • No item
    • Nature: Calm
    • Ability: Compound Eyes
    • Moves:
      • Tackle
      • Sleep Powder
      • Confusion
      • Poison Powder
  • 541.gif Aizawa (Female, Lvl 20)
    • No item
    • Nature: Adamant
    • Ability: Leaf Guard
    • Moves:
      • Tackle 
      • String Shot
      • Bug Bite
      • Razor Leaf
  • 402.gif Maestro (Female, Lvl 21)
    • No item
    • Nature: Relaxed
    • Ability: Technician
    • Moves:
      • Leech Life
      • Bide 
      • Struggle Bug
      • Fury Cutter

And t'was these magnificent Pokemon who somehow pulled me through that hell gym. I am aware it's only gonna get harder, but with some more luck, strategy, careful team-building, and once per gym trades (I know, I know, I cheated this one time with Nincada and Sewaddle, but it ain't happening again) I'll be able to make it far on this run. Wish me luck! 

Oh, and I had 2 friends who weren't present for the battle. 

This gal was boxed:

• 283.gif Katara (Female, Lvl 14)
    • No item
    • Nature: Serious
    • Ability: Rain Dish
    • Moves: 
      • Bubble
      • Quick Attack
      • Sweet Scent 
      • Water Sport

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaand I have a new pokemon, thanks to Amine on the Discord server! Hail to the oncoming queen, Reginapis!

• 415.gif Reginapis (Female, Lvl 10, SHINY)
    • Exp. Share
    • Nature: Jolly
    • Ability: Honey Gather
    • Moves:
      • Sweet Scent
      • Gust
      • N/A
      • N/A

And with that, I leave you for now. I'll probably edit this later or add a reply if this gets some reponses, but y'all will definitely hear from me and my Bug Run from Hell again. And thanks to @Jess, a fellow participant in this damned thing, who finished her Bug run and has been providing me tips and general advice for the future, and has offered to help with breeding and the like as well. Thank you kindly, my friend.

Of course I will follow this! I can't NOT do so, and see how a fellow Bug monorunner faces the perils and calamities and emerges victorious!

23 minutes ago, The Athenaeum Keeper said:

And with that, I leave you for now. I'll probably edit this later or add a reply if this gets some reponses, but y'all will definitely hear from me and my Bug Run from Hell again. And thanks to @Jess, a fellow participant in this damned thing, who finished her Bug run and has been providing me tips and general advice for the future, and has offered to help with breeding and the like as well. Thank you kindly, my friend.

You're welcome :) 

Now, brace yourself for the PULSE Tangrowth, which is going to be tricky! Enjoy yourself and never lose heart!

So... there's been an issue... my computer's graphics card is more or less a fickle bastard, and until I get a new computer or if cooperates (which the last time it did this, it didn't work for a month, so don't bet on it), which won't happen for another week to two weeks, I can't continue the run. Also, I've lost Reginapis because unless I can somehow extract my save data off of my hard drive without there being a functional graphics card (and thus any visible output), she's on a save that wasn't backed up. 

And I have to beat Julia. Again.

Alternatively, I've considered starting a new Bug run once I get my computer, maybe trading my starter away for a Bug and continuing fresh. If I do that, btw, I'm probably gonna be taking up a good few offers for Bugs because I'd like to be better equipped to fight Julia if I were to do another run. 

What do y'all think I should do? 

2 minutes ago, The Athenaeum Keeper said:

I'm probably gonna be taking up a good few offers for Bugs because I'd like to be better equipped to fight Julia if I were to do another run. 

Well, it is your choice... If the guy who traded you the shiny Combee (Amine, right?) has a backup of his save file where he still has the Combee, he can trade it to you again. So, get in touch with him ASAP. Also, you can catch Pineco (Selfdestruct/sturdy can easily OHKO any of Julia's mons in her Field. I used it to take out Emolga before it Acrobatic'ed my team away). Also, get a Burmy with HP Ground and a Dustox. Dustox early game is Godlike.