Justin's Story E13: Battle for Beryl pt1

Damage

Here we are once again. I'm in the mind to write and nothing is gonna stop me... at the moment. So this officially begins my favorite part of this story as well as my favorite part in Reborn and one of my favorite moments in gaming. The entirety of the Beryl ward arc. Seriously seeing a familiar story go in such a different direction was just nice to see. The police force actually trying to do something instead of sitting in front of a hole confused as to where a robber went... (were you even trying gamefreak??) And of course the major twist of a gym leader turning against you and if Pokémon had game overs even killing you. So hopefully I can do this story more justice than batman v superman. Anyway I digest... Justin finishes his epic battle with Florinia and is told of the vile infestation plaguing Jasper and Beryl Wards. He calls upon his team to save the wards. Now Justin, Blaze, Luxcalibur, Soldier and Isabella venture into the mock wilderness but what awaits them inside. This is the Battle for Beryl Part 1: Team Shenanigans.

InT. OTS Florinia's Gym

The episode continues where it left off in Soldier and Mega-Sceptile's battle. Soldier finishes his swing cutting his forest bound opponent down the length of his torso. It staggers away a few steps and begins to camouflage with a nearby tree.

Justin

Soldier.

Soldier dashes over and begins cutting it repeatedly until it is forced out of its Mega form.

JUSTIN

Making him try makes your buddy leagues ahead of most mons. You should be proud of him.

Florinia

Well fought Sceptile. Ret-

The weakened grass Pokémon begins to whistle and upon hearing the tune everyone in the stadium grows drowsy.

JUSTIN

What is that...

Soldier staggers a little bit.

JUSTIN

No no no... Soldier you need-

The Sceptile stands over Soldier charging an energy attack.

FLORINIA

A dragon pulse attack. Well done.

Sceptile proceeds to stand on Soldier's foot as it charges the attack.

FLORINIA

Now before you lose your chance.

The tree gecko releases his energy blast at point blank engulfing his opponent in a large explosion. When the smoke clears we see Soldier's arms have embedded into the ground and he has taken some noticeable damage from the attack.

JUSTIN

I cannot lose another match this early.

Blaze wakes from his poisoned slumber with dark bags under his already black feathered eyes. He climbs off Justin's back and caws out to Soldier. Soldier hears this and his wings begin fluttering wildly with enough force to create a blowing gust on Justin, Blaze and the forest behind him. Blaze caws and at his instruction Soldier charges forward bashing Sceptile through a myriad of trees leaving him at the edge of the forest.

JUSTIN

Good job Soldier.

Soldier looks at his smiling partner and has a flashback of seeing his old squad captain smiling forward in the same pose.

FLORINIA

Sceptile...

The forest Pokémon is barely able to stand and walks over to Soldier limping the whole walk and extends its arm. Soldier smiles and the two clash blades a final time before Sceptile walks off the field and nods to Florinia and is recalled.

JUSTIN

Wow. Someone who just appreciates a good fight. I like your gecko friend Flo.

FLORINIA

Me and Sceptile have trained together for some time. She is my first teammate.

JUSTIN

Oh wow... Soldier beat up a girl. Not cool man...

Soldier looks irritated by Justin's comment. He looks over to see Blaze and Justin shaking their head in disapproval. Soldier walks off the fighting area.

JuSTIN

Gonna go home and beat up all the other ladies.

Soldier holds up Blaze's gear and shows a crying Lucky on screen.

JUSTIN

Gotta take care of the kid. I get it.

Soldier exits the gym.

FLORINIA

You expect to take down the rest of my team with Blaze alone?

JUSTIN

Don't have a choice. He has a son. As a parent I can relate.

Florinia and Julia look on at the young man in shock. Justin throws his arm around Blaze and kisses the top of his head.

JUSTIN

This is my beautiful baby boy right here. He takes after his not so old man.

FLORINIA

I see.

Victoria

I expected different and I shouldn't of.

JUSTIN

We both know how this fight goes from here right Flo?

FLORINIA

You may believe that but a battle isn't decided until its conclusion.

JUSTIN

That right?

FLORINIA

And make no mistake. The conclusion is forthcoming.

JUSTIN

(excited)

Attagirl.

Justin is fired up from Florinia's challenge. She summons Ivysaur to the field. Blaze walks onto the field his every step leaving embers on the grass.

JUSTIN

The next move is big Blaze. You already know what she's planning right?

Blaze nods.

JUSTIN

Alright buddy. The battle is in your hands. Three...Two...One... GO!

Ivysaur bolts up a tree and Blaze rushes to the center of the field.

FLORINIA

Rain dance!

Before Ivysaur can activate his move Blaze explodes with flames bursting from his body and in seconds the field is covered with flames. A light drizzle starts over the now raging inferno of a forest but it does nothing to quell the blaze.

JUSTIN

Sit back buddy,the fires will take out her teammate.

Justin's call holds true as the tree Ivysaur is on collapses from the flames and Ivysaur is burned by the field and runs out of the arena and is abruptly recalled by Florinia. Blaze takes a deep breath finally feeling some comfort from the raging fires surrounding him.

JUSTIN

You feeling better buddy?

Blaze is seen throwing a thumbs up on the monitor.

JUSTIN

So Flo, who is left?

Florinia summons her final Pokémon Cradily. The rock flower sits outside of the forest's edge gazing upon the raging fire and looks hesitant at its trainer.

FLORINIA

Worry not Cradily. I will not force you into that.

The final grass types gives a sigh of relief before being recalled. Justin goes into the burning forest to retrieve his friend.

FLORINIA

Please wait, I have built in safety measures for-

After a few moments Justin is seen with partially burnt clothes carrying Blaze from the burning woodwork. After the sprinklers above take effect and douse the field.

JUSTIN

He doesn't care for rain.

FLORINIA

I see. Justin for your exemplary skill in battle and displaying strength in the face of overwhelming odds, I award you the Canopy Badge.

Florinia walks over to Justin and hands him his reward.

JUSTIN

Two down... Sixteen to go. This is going to take some time... Look bud, new badge.

Justin shows Blaze the newly acquired badge. He caws weakly before falling back to sleep.

JUSTIN

Thanks Flo. Its been fun. See you around.

Justin begins to leave with Victoria meeting him by the door until he is called by Florinia.

FLORINIA

Justin. Have you any current activities to occupy your time?

JUSTIN

Bold asking for a date after losing but damn if I don't respect it.

FLORINIA

Allow me to clarify. You assistance is needed once again.

JUSTIN

(weakly)

Yay....

FLORINIA

While we were able to protect the Opal and Obsidia Wards, I'm afraid Beryl wasn't able to receive the same attention. It has blossomed from its budding state and the plant infestation has spiraled out of control.

JUSTIN

What are you saying?

FLORINIA

The Jasper and Beryl wards are the current root of our problems. The police force's base of operations resides in Jasper and Beryl houses the gym leader Corey. We lost contact with both parties the day of the train station bombing. Given the amount of time passed we can only assume the worst has come to pass. Due to my extended departure I can no longer leave the school. You'll unfortunately find Julia is not equipped for a long journey either.

JUSTIN

(sarcastic)

Of course not.

FLORINIA

If you accept this mission I will make sure you are properly rewarded.

JUSTIN

Good to hear, I would of taken the job regardless.

VICTORIA

Justin, maybe you should reconsider.

JUSTIN

Not gonna happen. Flo, send whatever reports have been developed to Seacrest's garden. Team Shenanigans is on the case.

FLORINIA

Very well. I would wish you luck however luck is merely an illusory essentialization of statistics and is not inherently good or bad in any way.

Florinia extends her hand.

FLORINIA

However I hope that you fare well.

Justin shakes her hand.

JUSTIN

Thanks Flo.

InT. seacrest's garden

It is late evening and a few people are gathered in the garden around a small fire. Blaze is sleeping with his head on Luxcalibur's back, next to him is Isabella who is watching over him. Soldier is sitting with Lucky on his lap sleeping. Seacrest, Justin and Victoria are all sitting in lawn chairs close to the flame each holding a beer.

Seacrest

So from one dangerous job to the next huh boy?

JUSTIN

I like to live dangerously.

SEACREST

Clearly. You do realize this one may be above your pay grade?

JUSTIN

Honestly... This one looks really bad no matter how you paint it. The police force gone, a gym leader possibly dead and two districts totally destroyed by the plants. Nancy showed me Flo's reports. For once Team Meteor actually seems competent.

SEACREST

Looks like they also setup two of those machines.

JUSTIN

Took quite a bit to take down one but this time they're sure to have guards.

SEACREST

You don't have to do this. You can wait and we can gather folks and mount a real rescue.

JUSTIN

Its been about a month since everyone got trapped up there. If people are still holding out...

VICTORIA

You don't think there are survivors do you?

JUSTIN

Maybe.

VICTORIA

So you want to rush into this on the off chance some people may still be waiting for help?

JUSTIN

Dumb yeah. My reasoning... Absolutely.

VICTORIA

Well, I obviously can't-

Victoria's phone begins to ring.

JUSTIN

I know that song...

SEACREST

Yeah... Its called good luck Justin.

VICTORIA

No its... Just a minute.

Victoria walks away from the group to answer it.

VICTORIA

Yes... I'm a tad busy at the moment. There is an urgent mater... Can you not help... Yes... I... Understood... I'll-

Victoria looks at Justin and Seacrest waving her off.

VICTORIA

I'll be there in a few hours.

Victoria hangs up and walks over to Justin.

VICTORIA

Justin. I'm so sorry. If you just-

Justin stands and walks away from the fire with Victoria following him to the edge of the garden.

JUSTIN

Vic. Its cool. You've got big responsibilities as a gym assistant. I've heard about Apophyll. You can't leave them alone with how crazy Reborn's been. They need you.

VICTORIA

Yes they do. But what about you?

JUSTIN

Well I want you with me but I'm not gonna die if left alone.

VICTORIA

So you know then-

Justin looks confused.

JUSTIN

About what?

VICTORIA

(shocked)

Nothing. Its just you know how hopeless the students can be without me sometimes.

Justin winks.

JUSTIN

Can't say I'm not jealous.

VICTORIA

Then something until we meet again.

Victoria moves in close and gives Justin a long passionate kiss.

JUSTIN

Uhh....

VICTORIA

I would of liked if we could have finished our date.

JUSTIN

M.m.m.me too.

(clearing his throat)

I mean we'll just have to set up something in the future. Like a picnic on the beach.

VICTORIA

I'd like that... well. See you later Justin.

Victoria leaves the garden with Justin hopelessly lost as she walks out. He slowly returns to his friends who are all grinning including the once sleeping Blaze and Lucky. Justin clears his throat.

JUSTIN

WHO IS THE GREATEST TRAINER IN REBORN?!

His team all cheer and point at him as he makes a pose.

JUSTIN

WHO IS GONNA TAKE DOWN TEAM METEOR NO MATTER WHAT?!

Taking another pose Justin continues his chants.

JUSTIN

WHO IS THE BEST LOOKIN' BAG OF BAD ASSERY KNOWN AS JUSTIN FREAKIN' WEYLAND?!

His team continues to cheer supporting his overblown ego.

JUSTIN

AND WHO IS READY TO KICK SOME ASS THEN AS A REWARD HEAD ON OVER TO THE BEACH FOR A SUMMER PARTY?!!!!

Everyone excluding Seacrest jump and dance around the invigorated young trainer. We see Victoria outside smiling while hearing Justin's energetic rant. Back inside everyone is playing and dancing around.

SEACREST

Who is the rowdiest group of kids in Reborn?

Team Shenanigans continue their wild parade.

SEACREST

Yeah... All of those questions were pretty obvious.

InT. sEACREST'S GARDEN

It is early the next morning. Justin, Blaze, Luxcalibur, Soldier and Isabella are gathered in the center of the garden.

JUSTIN

So guys. Serious talk here. Beryl Ward is a complete disaster and even in the rough shape its in, I'm not sure how we're going to pull through. What's worse is we can't all go.

Everyone looks at Justin surprised.

JUSTIN

The garden would be left unprotected. Ideally I want at least two of you to stay here.

The group shouts in protest and Seacrest comes outside.

SEACREST

They're taking that about as well as I expected.

JUSTIN

We can't leave you without help. Its usually when Magma attacks. I may not be able to rush back either.

SEACREST

Well then you may want to talk to someone.

JUSTIN

Who-

Seacrest points to the doorway and a young light skinned man sits in the doorway. He has a slightly muscular build. He's dressed in tattered blue jeans and a large blue and white varsity coat with a #1 on the back. He has steely blue eyes and nods his head for Justin to come over. Justin makes his way over to the young burly blue clad man.

JUSTIN

Hello. How can I help you?

Archer

Me? Can't do much for me but I can help you.

JUSTIN

That right?

ARCHER

The name is Archer. I'm the guy who runs the team you impersonated.

JUSTIN

Team Aqua.

ARCHER

Damn right. I hear you and your boys beat Magma's ass a few times.

JUSTIN

Yeah. Bad teams tend to get hurt around us.

ARCHER

Cute threat. I'd like you to meet my friend.

Archer walks outside with Justin following after. Archer looks into the purple discolored ocean smiling then pulls out a beautiful brightly blue jewel.

ARCHER

Watcher of the twisted waves...

Justin looks at the Aqua leader in horror.

JUSTIN

Impossible.

ARCHER

Defender of the dying sea and guardian over my weak world. I beseech thee. May I be cleansed by your presence.

The jewel in Archer's hand glows brilliantly and slowly an immense creature rises from the water which is all purified surrounding its immediate area. The Sea Basin Pokémon Kyogre rises to the surface.

ARCHER

Hey Levi. My bud here is gonna join us in cleaning up this dump. Just wanted you to see him for yourself.

The large ocean dweller Pokémon speaks in a soft yet powerful feminine voice. The echo from her words reverberate through Justin's spine and for the first time we see fear in his eyes and frailty in his voice.

Leviathan

Ahhh. Justin correct?

ARCHER

How do you-

Justin clears his throat to ease his own nerves and deflects Archer's question.

JUSTIN

(rushing Leviathan)

Boring story. Yes I am. You can go now.

LEVIATHAN

Hmmm. Be wary Archer. This one attracts danger.

Leviathan the Kyogre sinks back into the water which is once again sullied once she disappears.

JUSTIN

So. You care to explain?

ARCHER

You clearly like secrets so you keep yours and I'll keep mine.

JUSTIN

Sorry. I have to for now.

ARCHER

Got it. Anyway, Levi promised to keep the Magmas out so thats why Maxine wont be bothering you ever again.

JUSTIN

What do you get out of this? Are your members trapped in Beryl?

ARCHER

No. My team is small and generally sticks together. However I can see clear as day that this gross city will be clean again. When that time comes, I'd like your help in getting my boys clean.

JUSTIN

Really?

ARCHER

I make investments... Justin from Blackthorn. So what do you say?

JUSTIN

Keep my house and friends safe and when the police return, I'll make sure they overlook your past

(clears throat)

Activities.

ARCHER

My man.

JUSTIN

What was your friend's name?

ARCHER

Leviathan...

(grinning)

Yours?

JUSTIN

Helena.

ARCHER

Interesting. Well. See you around Justin. Stay fresh.

Archer leaves. Justin stares into the ocean for a few moments before returning inside. Seacrest meets him by the fountain.

SEACREST

What did he say? Did you boys fight, I heard a lot of splashing.

JUSTIN

No... He's good.

SEACREST

Relatively. He runs a gang.

JUSTIN

No Seacrest. He's good. Like... Just trust me. The garden will be safe from here on out. At least from any fires.

Seacrest studies Justin for a moment.

SEACREST

Alright.

Justin and Seacrest make their way back into the garden with Justin's team eagerly awaiting their captain. Justin approaches the planning table and takes a deep breath.

JUSTIN

Blaze. Luxcalibur. Soldier. Isabella. The five of us are going to save Beryl.

All members nod.

JUSTIN

I wont lie to you. This will be extremely dangerous and all of you are to read the reports and finish them by tomorrow. We will have plans in case of separation so no matter who you are split with you will have the best way to work with them even if one or both of you are injured. Lux and you too Soldier will be our biggest assets. Soldier you have aerial advantage and Lux you can see everything. If things take a drastic turn you follow my outline and I will finish alone if need be.

Blaze punches Justin in the chest.

JUSTIN

(chuckling)

I know... Figured I'd try anyway.

(serious)

We need to be smart about this. Our first goal is to save any survivors. 2nd is to find and assist Corey if he's still alive. 3rd is the police force. Lastly we take down team meteor. I know the police force should be first but they have the biggest advantage here so they can most likely hold out the best. The survivors will be hard. Izzy you will imprint at Grand Hall so we can quickly teleport anyone there.

Isabella nods.

JUSTIN

If you guys have any objections let me know. There is no turning back once we go in the forests.

Lucky hops on the table and jumps into Justin yelling in objection to his exclusion.

JUSTIN

(smiling)

Sorry bud. You're not quite ready for the battle scene.

Lucky swings his arms and they begin to glow.

JUSTIN

Yes metronome is cute Lucky but it can hardly compare to-

A large shadow overtakes the garden, everyone looks up in shock to see a large meteor rain down.

JUSTIN

Is that... Draco meteor?

In an instant a torrent of crystal clear water obliterates the meteor and rains light clean water over the garden.

SEACREST

What the heck was that?

JUSTIN

(nervous)

Must of been Izzy's teleport.

She begins to interject.

JUSTIN

That quick thinking will save lives Izzy. Good job.

She tries to speak again but Justin throws a rare candy into her mouth.

JUSTIN

No need to thank me...

(serious)

Just. Eat.

The young ballerina looks on confused as Seacrest looks at Justin full of suspicion.

JUSTIN

Now then kids. Go train, rest, prepare or just walk around and ease your nerves. I'll have plans ready in about six hours. I'll be back.

Justin begins to leave.

SEACREST

Where you going?

JUSTIN

Talk to Nancy. Just get as much information as I can.

Blaze grabs Justin's shoulder.

JUSTIN

Relax bud, I'll be right back. Just train or sleep for a bit.

Justin leaves and Blaze looks on worried.

SEACREST

Calm down McNuggets, your dad will be back.

InT. sEACREST'S GARDEN

Its a few hours later and the group is in the lobby of Seacrest's manor. Justin walks in with four small books.

JUSTIN

(surprised)

Oh hey guys. Guess you're all a little antsy. Here.

Justin approaches each of his team members and hands them one of his booklets.

JUSTIN

That's our base outline plus field objectives and several emergency plans of escape should Grimer hit the fan. Learn it and love it by tomorrow. I'm gonna take a nap.

Justin goes into the garden and lays against a tree. He looks into the air staring at the clouds when all of a sudden something lands on his lap. He looks down to see Luxcalibur laying across his legs reading his book. He pets his lion companion and looks up only to once again feel another bump. This time it is Blaze with his back to Justin's arm. Without missing a beat Isabella occupies his other arm and Soldier jumps onto the branch above and Lucky finishes the kodak moment by sitting on Luxcalibur's back. Justin smiles looking at his team all studiously devoted to their books. The scene fades from afar.

ExT. jasper ward

Justin, Blaze, Luxcalibur, Soldier and Isabella all stand side by side at the entrance to the Jasper ward. A lone officer stands in front of them.

JUSTIN

Hello officer. You probably heard about our arrival.

Officer

Heard it'd be another week before you were ready.

JUSTIN

People may not be able to wait that long.

OFFICER

Its not just Beryl as you will see.

JUSTIN

Jasper too. I read the report.

OFFICER

Beryl is definitely in worse shape but neither ward is good at the moment.

JUSTIN

We intend to fix that.

OFFICER

Arceus I hope so. Luckily me, my partner and the chief were able to free up the station so if you need to rest feel free to stop there.

JUSTIN

Got it.

OFFICER

Well then... Shall we?

Just as everyone is ready to start their journey a young girl runs towards Justin and company.

Young woman

WAIT PLEASE!

She reaches the halted group panting after her run.

JUSTIN

What's wrong?

YOUNG WOMAN

My... My...

JUSTIN

Take a deep breath.

She regains her composure after a moment and starts talking again.

YOUNG WOMAN

My friend has been stuck in Jasper ward for weeks.

JUSTIN

Since the outbreak?

YOUNG WOMAN

Yes. You have to save her.

OFFICER

We will do our best but you can't get your hopes up. So please-

YOUNG WOMAN

NO! You don't understand. Her cell phone just died yesterday. I've been comforting her once a day to keep her sane but since it died now she's just scared and alone... Please-

Justin's eyes widen.

YOUNG WOMAN

She lives in the only standing housing building. Its just left of the Pokémon center-

Justin begins a mad dash up the stairs and his team follows suit.

OFFICER

Wait Justin!... Miss your friend will be safe. You can count on us.

YOUNG WOMAN

Thank you... Please save her!

The officer runs up the stairs and catches up to Justin and his team who are in shock at the devastation done to Jasper. Once flourishing buildings eroded due to rampant vines. The streets torn to pieces now held together by seams of plants and roots. Grass type Pokémon dance among the damage they now call their home. Justin looks upon the infestation with more rage and frustration than shock. Blaze and Isabella place their hands on his arms and he calms down.

JUSTIN

I'm okay. Team Meteor will pay for this but that waits until after we've saved everyone who is still holding out. For every soul in Jasper and every body in Beryl we will fight until we can't anymore and when we can't we will push past that. Much like the Sky Dragon... We eat meteors. Now then. LET'S GO!

Justin charges headfirst into the forest with his team right behind him and we freeze on the group about to enter the harrowing forest.

End of episode 13.

I honestly think there is a decent playlist with all the songs I've used for these past thirteen episodes. If anyone is cranking them out at parties just #djJustNBlaze They'll get it. As for this episode's song. The person(s) this is devoted to is the entirety of Team Shenanigans. The song that kind of put me back in the work mood. I hope you all enjoy it as much as I do. I like this version best and think everyone should listen to it when they need a kick in the pants which Shenanigans is good at. Without further uhhdoo...