[D&D][IC] Valkyria: Scales of War

lifesapity

Our tale begins in the town of Brindol, made famous during the time of the vile Red Hand army’s invasion. It was here where many soldiers, mercenaries and warriors lost their lives holding off an unending tide of goblins, trolls, ogres, orcs and even dragons.

While the town defended itself from this onslaught, a group of brave adventurers sneaked behind enemy lines, and slew the vile half-dragon Akarr Kul, leader of the Red Hand, in his own temple dedicated to Tiamat (the goddess of Greed). Thanks to the cunning plan of Brindol's brave heroes, the Red Hand’s great army splintered and were pursued, isolated, and crushed. The host of the Red Hand was no more. After the town's victory celebrations, it was decreed, by the city’s ruling council, that day would become an annual holiday. On this day, people would remind themselves and their kin just how close they were to almost being destroyed by an army of evil and greed.

It is the early evening, 60 years later and, unbeknownst to you, on the eve of this holiday. Each of you have come across this small town, and are making your way towards the Antler and Thistle tavern (Map Point 4) .

Spoiler

brindolmapiq8.jpg

@rustytengo @Jace Stormkirk @Cool Girl @DragonRage @Cronos5010 @Megagun

Edited by lifesapity

• Replies 843
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Richard calmly strode down towards the tavern of "The Antler and Thistle"  in search of good food, a hopefully not depressing crowd of drunks, and if it wouldn't be too much to ask...perhaps even a woman to entertain thoughts of romance with. A man had recommended it to him earlier, and Richard wasn't the sort to be too picky with his lodgings anyway.

Now Richard was a tall and powerfully built man in out of place chainmail, and his left hand was proudly wielding a buckler strapped to it with the holy symbol of his Goddess The Raven Queen emblazoned on it, and of course his wavy dark brown hair was not covered by a helmet: he was in the middle of a town for Goddesses sake!.

A part of him was quite glad that his first trip as an adventurer was going so well. He made it all the way over here without getting stabbed to death after all, which could be seen as being impressive by some.

Althea happily walks towards "The Antler and Thistle" in search of a place to rest, to help people in need, and to make new friends. She was very excited to see what she will encounter!

She walks excited with her staff in her hand, proudly embracing the symbol of Ioun.

She then notices a big tall guy walking the same direction. She wants to talk to him, but she doesn't dare to. Instead, she keeps on walking and decides to wait and see what will happen.

You see ahead of you a modest two-story tavern, supporting a sign that displays a pair of antlers surrounding a sharp prickly flower.
As you get closer you start to hear familiar noises; laughter, 
tankards of ale being hit against one and other, and a bard strumming a tune.
When you approach the doors, the smell of roast meats hits you first, followed by an inviting warmth that is radiating into the street, begging you to enter.

Edited by lifesapity

Ragash walks through the streets from the west entrance with her hood up. Having leaned that for some reason people reacted badly to her when they see her face though she wasn't sure why but she figured if she kept her hood up they may leave her alone a bit more. Following the road her belly rumbled as she caught the sent of roasted meat fallowing it she found it coming from a building. Seeing people entering the build she fallowed them in hoping that this was a place that would actually serve her since a lot of places don't like to for some reason even when she is nice.

Edited by rustytengo

i walk into town whistling a tune i listen to the townsfolk. upon hearing that a holiday is almost here i take out my harp and play for the people. after a while someone suggest that i go visit the Antler and Thistle tavern saying i "you should find good company, food, drink, and possibly a room for the night. so i wander through the town until i finally find this tavern. as i walk in i find this tavern to be of my liking with high spirited folk and ale flowing freely. i await for my turn to play upon the stage. once i get all set up i try to dazzle them with my bardic skills.

When you open the doors to the tavern you are greeted by a raging stone fireplace right in the middle of the room.
The smell of roast meat is even stronger here, with the lingering smell of booze.
There are two small closed off rooms next to the bar and another small door between them.

Looking around you see:

• a rather rotund middle aged man behind the bar.
  • a middle aged barmaid carrying a tankard of ale.
  • a group of four friends drinking and laughing merrily, while feasting on a large plate of roast pork.
  • a female half-elf bard strumming on a lute in the far corner.
  • an elderly dwarf wearing bits and pieces of a guard uniform deep in his cups.
  • a man conversing with an elf that has a bow strapped across his back.
  • two men and a woman playing a game of cards in the furthest corner.
  • Five tables that are empty.
  • strangest of all, in the corner closest to the bar, a little girl sitting next to a pile of books listening intently to an elven woman dressed in the robes of an acolyte of Ioun.

The man behind the bar raises a hand towards you. "Greetings Traveler, come rest your weary legs. First tankard of Ale is on the house."

Edited by lifesapity

"my legs may be weary but my spirit is in full swing! i shall accept your gracious offer.and may i inquire if you have any rooms to spare? i assure you i will pay for my keep for you see i am a traveling entertainer and on this joyous occasion i wish to play for you." i then walk over to the half-elf bard and ask "do you wish to join me is my song and dance mi'lady? i would be most flattered if you did."

After passing you your tankard of ale, the barman replies, "Sure we have a few rooms spare upstairs, If you play for an hour, I will get you a meal and you can stay the night."

The bard, who as you get closer is quite pretty, with long brown hair tied back in a ponytail revealing her slightly pointed ears, blushes slightly, and after noticing the harp at your side whispers back to you "We can dance after my set, I finish in half an hour, I have to play for my keep after all."

Edited by lifesapity

Meanwhile, Richard was in fact quite starving, and he made this fact known when he marched towards the bartender "What sort of dishes can you provide for me on this fine evening?".

He ignored everyone else for now, as he was too preoccupied with his future meal.

"hmm i have an idea m'lady, i shall ask the barkeep if we can play together hopefully making the minimum amount go by faster but i am well prepared and willing to play some more to keep the good mood alive. also i can sing and tell stories in tandem with your music if you want me to. the choice is up to you." i then go over to the barkeep and ask" i have an inquiry. if i played with the other bard there would this count for my hour or does it start once her's is over?

To Richard:
The bartender quite surprised at your march directly towards him replies "Ughhhh, Today on the menu we have, wild boar stew, various roast meats, ale and lamb meat pie and bread... Isn't that right Helga?"
"Don't forget the Roast Vegetables, Darling" the barmaid replies over her shoulder.
"And Roast Vegetables" the barman repeats.
"Also don't forget your free tankard of ale, it's the eve of the fall after all."

All of a sudden a half-elf with a lute by his side appears next to you.

To Yisan:
"Sure that sound f....." the bartender goes to reply, but gets cut off by a loud cough and a stern look from the barmaid.
The Barman winces and says "Sorry but today is the eve of the fall, I'm expecting more patrons soon so I would rather have music playing for longer. Your more then welcome to join her, if she is fine with it, but it won't count to paying for your board."

Edited by lifesapity

"no worries i was planning on playing longer anyway i just wanted to know if it was ok if i paired up with her" i walk over to the bard and tell her "i am allowed to join you but my hour will not start until yours is over. but that is fine with me cause i was planning on playing longer anyway, so do you want me to play my harp, yarting(this is dnd's guitar), or sing?"

Richard ignores the half elf bard for a while as he continued to talk to the bartender "Then I shall order a cut of roasted meat, some roasted vegetables, and eventually another tankard of ale" Immediately after saying this he took the complimentary tankard and started to take sips from it before sitting down on a nearby barstool if they had one, or a much more comfortable chair in front of a table if they didn't have any.

After a while he glanced vaguely in the direction not the half elf bard before attempting to start a conversation with uh....him "It's a wonderful evening isn't it?".

I walk into this tavern and set up at a table in the corner, pulling out my deck of cards after I order a dragons ale. Then, in a surprisingly loud booming voice I say "Step right up, step right up. Try your hand at three dragon ante!"

On 6/15/2017 at 8:51 AM, Cronos5010 said:

After a while he glanced vaguely in the direction not the half elf bard before attempting to start a conversation with uh....him "It's a wonderful evening isn't it?".

"this is a most wonderful evening! now if you will excuse me i must make splendid music for all to enjoy"

As Althae walks into the bar, she notices some interesting faces. She then decides to sit down at the barstool and wait for the bartender.

She also notices a guy with a harp and thinks "Well, this is going to be interesting." She then looks towards him, waiting for him to play his tune.

Ragash enters the tavern and looks around it kind of reminded her of the parties the orcs threw every so often though a lot less violent which is good. Seeing that there where some tables empty she makers her way to the most isolated one in hopes of keeping any problems she may cause at a minimum. Once she sits at the table she pulls out her crystal and starts fidgeting with it as she just waited there. 

to Yisan:

"I have always liked the sound of the harp join me at the start of the next song." Whispers the bard.

Spoiler

Use Roll20 to Roll a performance check to see how well it goes. 

to Yautja

One of the men playing cards in the corner pipes up "Oi Lad, we are playing some three dragon ante right now join us for the next hand."

the barmaid then comes and offers you your free tankard of ale.

to Althae

the barman turns to you "Hey lass free tankard of ale for the eve of the fall if your intrested."

The acolyte of ioun in the corner notices the symbol around your neck, catches your eye and smiles at you. 

to Ragash

Àfter offering Yautja his drink the barmaid moves over to you. Upon noticing that you are a Drow falters for half a second, but recovers quicker then you expected "Can I get you your free tankard of ale for the eve of the fall?" She enquires. 

Edited by lifesapity

17 minutes ago, lifesapity said:

to Ragash

Àfter offering Yautja his drink the barmaid moves over to you. Upon noticing that you are a Drow falters for half a second, but recovers quicker then you expected "Can I get you your free tankard of ale for the eve of the fall?" She enquires. 

Surprised that this person did scream or throw something at her Ragash nodded and smiles "Yes thank you. How much is it for something to eat? It smelt so good it made my belly rumble when i got nearby." 

Edited by rustytengo

Maris enters the city a little nervous.  He has been away for a while, and looks pretty different, but old habits die hard.  Assuming nobody recognizes him, he makes his way to the tavern he remembers, hoping it's still there.  Since it is, he goes inside and after some thought offers his services for manual labor in exchange for room and board; dish washing, wood chopping, whatever.  It's good training and all he has to trade is his own strength and skill.

12 minutes ago, lifesapity said:

to Ragash

"Depends what you want lass. Today we have wild boar stew, various roast meats, an ale and lamb meat pie, roasted vegetables and bread. Pretty crystal by the way."

"Oh" Ragash blushed a little not realizing she still had the crystal out "Thank you, i just found it one day and i liked it so i kept it." Ragash smiled more as she kicked her legs which probably barely touched the floor in enjoyment. 'I will have the stew and bread if that's okay......So whats so special about the eve of fall? Oh can i keep what i don't finish eating?" she asked happily 

to Maris

As you walk through the market square you see the city setting up for a festival of some sort. When you enter the antler and thistle, it is just how you remember it (with a couple of extra dents in the tables), though the barman and barmaid have aged. As you walk in the barman offers you a free tankard of ale for the eve of the fall.  After listening to your offer he replies "Sure we can always use an extra hand around here especially around festival days, talk to Helga about what needs to be done," Gesturing to the barmaid.  After starting at your face for a few seconds he adds "I swear I have seen you here before,  have you passed through this way before?"

to Ragash

"I'm not sure if we have anything you could carry the leftover stew in, but for you I'm sure we can work something out." She says while smiling. "Ah, you don't know? That explains it. The Fall celebrates the day the army of the Red Hand were destroyed, in large part thanks to a brave group of adventures that sneaked past the front lines and killed their leader Akarr Kul." She then adds in a whisper "One of whom was a Drow like yourself."

Edited by lifesapity