Mind your Keys and Rooms

• Administrators

Looking to clean house around the community, we're adding a new rule for our servers. It's a pretty standard chat-etiquette deal: No flooding. It's important to keep other users in mind in environments like this, and dropping Berlin-size walls on a chat can have the effect of isolating other people from joining in. We're probably over-do on this one, since most communities have some form of this inherently. We decided against it in the past when we were concerned it might needlessly restrict things, but as the community continues to grow, so does its import.

For the purposes of this rule, flooding is considered to be any 15 consecutive lines of text by a single person, applying both to showdown and discord. Paragraphs and image previews count as one line each. Ideally this isn't something most user should have to worry about, but

please be cautious

about typing 

like this

over long periods of time.

Thanks for understanding!

• Upvote 6

I don't really see the need. Even if you type 15+ lines of good content, it will be against forum policy? Are you just encouraging a get-to-the-point mentality?

Maybe you could add some exceptions? I could imagine that whomever starts a topic (like creative writing, or a fangame thread), would like to make long updates. That could easily break this rule.

Kind of out of the blue for me, but also not really a problem either.

EDIT: As you explain it 15 "paragraphs" would still be OK. That is actually quite a lot hehe.

Edited by Busti

21 minutes ago, Busti said:

I don't really see the need. Even if you type 15+ lines of good content, it will be against forum policy? Are you just encouraging a get-to-the-point mentality?

No. It's not against forum policy seeing as this isn't a forum policy and is for the Discord Server and SHowdown server as described in the post.

• Upvote 1

even if I'm not truly active on either most of the time, I believe it to be a god change. as I do spend the majority of the time on a showdown server, seeing someone leave a Chinese or Berlin wall of text behind kinda makes me wanna avoid speaking. I do find the 15 line a little high, but that's not my place to decide. hope it works out as you hope Ame~

I'm not sure to understand , flooding doesn't mean the contrary ? It mean that someone keep putting 1 or 2 words per message like " lol " , " ok " , lmao " etc... ? 

Edited by Zarc

Flooding is akin to that of double posting.  We auth decided on a solid 15 to keep a happy middle ground.  This rule is put into place to penalize flooding or discourage rambling.  A "line" by our definition is a sent message.

If you are typing

like this

or talking like

I don't know

this

lol

this can be seen as flooding.

even if you

lol

don't have a...

>>

<< lot to say

and drag it out

like this

this is

poor uh...

whats the word

etiquette.

instead of telling your story like this and keeping context together.  Granted we don't expect you guys to keep words all together like this all the time and enjoy your ranting and story telling.  But 15 lines is hella lenient.  If you have so much to say to where it would flood the chat.  Then take it to the forum.  That is one of the big things it is designed for.  And fyi this is server side only. 

• Upvote 1