Should Mega Evolution return?

Rain Spectre

Personally, I'm fine with the discontinuation of Mega Evolution (even though Z-Moves open up yet another broken bag of beans).

For Gen IV Remakes, I speculate Exclusive Z Moves for the Starters.

Spoiler

Torterrium Z: Base Move = Earthquake / Wood Hammer / Frenzy Plant

Infernium Z: Base Move = Close Combat / Flare Blitz / Blast Burn

Empoium Z: Base Move = Flash Cannon / Hydro Pump / Hydro Cannon

These Z Moves would be Dual-Typed like Hawlucha's Flying Press

• Global Mods

I like how mega's can give old pokemon some new viability, and also act as a nice centerpiece to a team. A bit more re-balancing of things between generations, more megas to increase diversity, and more common NPC megas in main games to decrease how OP it feels for the player (not that main games are hard anyway) could be good maybe? at the very least I don't really think the current ones should be removed.

I like the concept and general mechanics of Z-moves, but I think the flavoring of them in the games with the dance moves and stuff made them feel a bit silly, while mega evolution always felt epic. Also due to the nature of things in game, there were scenarios where I don't think they worked that well gameplay-wise (fairly easily oneshotting 'boss' totem pokemon, Kahunas not even using their Z-moves for various reasons)

• Global Mods
8 minutes ago, Rain Spectre said:

I think it's very apparent that Gamefreak thinks Megas broke game balance, considering they recently banned them from VGC.

hmm maybe they should give megas to weaker pokemon instead of pseudo legendaries and such, and not give them abilities like parental bond...

3 minutes ago, DreamblitzX said:

hmm maybe they should give megas to weaker pokemon instead of pseudo legendaries and such, and not give them abilities like parental bond...

Which is more or less effectively giving older Pokemon future evolutions. I really don't know why GF is so stubborn about not giving us new evolutions. But honestly, Mega evolutions were more or less fan service. Let's not even beat around the bush. Some of them were to make Pokemon more viable, however, the quality check went into everything, but Mega evolutions. GFs best move is to turn some of those Megas into actual evolutions with weaker stats if they want to try and get rid of it. But again, they are going to stubbornly fight against that until the end.

• Global Mods
Just now, Commander said:

Which is more or less effectively giving older Pokemon future evolutions. I really don't know why GF is so stubborn about not giving us new evolutions. But honestly, Mega evolutions were more or less fan service. Let's not even beat around the bush. Some of them were to make Pokemon more viable, however, the quality check went into everything, but Mega evolutions. GFs best move is to turn some of those Megas into actual evolutions with weaker stats if they want to try and get rid of it. But again, they are going to stubbornly fight against that until the end.

This is true, Gen 4 was great with the expansions of old evolution lines, as was gen 2 before it. Sadly I'm not sure if we'll see this again