[D&D][OOC/Sign-Ups Closed] Valkyria: Scales of War

lifesapity

I am creating a DnD 5e Campaign based off the 4e Adventure Path. It is a high fantasy adventure starting at the frontiers of civilization.
I will be using the Roll20 site for the battles, and doing the RP on the forums.

Brief Campaign Overview

Spoiler

DungeonMag156.jpg

The world has never been a safe place. Bastions of civilization
populate a dark, menacing world—islands of order and reason exist in a
land otherwise overrun by dark cults, vile monsters, creatures from the
dark edges of the imagination, and worse. As deadly as the world is on
a normal day, something has begun to stir on the fringes of the civilized
Elsir Vale. Formerly the site of an attack by an army known as the Red
Hand, the Vale has known several years of peace since brave adventurers
stormed into the teeth of the approaching Hand and sent them scurrying
back into the darkness.

But the peace of Elsir Vale—and specifically, the
town of Brindol, heart of the former conflict with the
Red Hand—has been shattered. The vague shadow of
unease the locals have been experiencing lately has
crystallized in the form of an attack on the town itself.
Now Brindol finds itself once more in need of brave
heroes willing to come to the aid of their citizens.

World Information

Spoiler

Elsir Vale

Spoiler

593ac422ec776_ElsirVale.thumb.jpg.9e476bc0f677b8f9c50ef3bc46e5ac75.jpg

The Elsir Vale is a thinly populated mostly human frontier. The vale stretches almost 250 miles east to west and averages about 70 miles north to south. Several small mountain ranges and dense forests form the vale's borders. Elsir Vale lies in the subtropical latitudes. Summers are hot and dry (although punctuated by the occasional intense thunderstorm), and winters are warm and rainy. Large stretches of the area are quite arid, and the vale is flanked by the vast savannahs stretching for mile after dusty mile. Though the borders of the vale are mostly hills, mountains and forests, the heart of the vale is grassy plains for the most part. Every town in the vale is surrounded by numerous farms. Beyond the civilized areas are vast rolling plains with infrequent hillocks and copses of trees.

Brindol - Starting City

Spoiler

Brindol is a relatively small city in the heart of Elsir Vale. The largest settlement for 100 miles, Brindol is a prosperous farming community and caravan stopover located along the Dawn Way on the south bank of the Elsir River. Orchards of apple and pear trees follow the river's winding shores, while broad grain fields and farmlands surround the town for miles in all directions.

Gods

Spoiler

Good & Neutral Deities

Avandra
Goddess of change, luck, trade, travel
CG Trickery Three stacked wavy lines
Bahamut
Dragon god of justice, protection, nobility, and honor
LG Life, War Dragon’s head in profile
Corellon
God of arcane magic, spring, beauty and the arts revered primarily by elves
CG Light Starburst
Erathis
Goddess of civilization and invention
LN Knowledge Upper half of a clockwork gear
Ioun
Goddess of knowledge, skill, and prophecy revered primarily by scholars, magic-users
N Knowledge Crook shaped like a stylized eye
Kord
God of the storm, strength and battle revered by warriors
CN Tempest Sword with a lightning bolt cross guard
Melora
Goddess of the wilderness and the sea
N Nature, Tempest Seashell with a wavelike swirl
Moradin
God of creation, artisans, family, revered primarily by dwarves
LG Knowledge, War Anvil
Pelor
God of the sun, summer, agriculture and time
NG Life, Light Circle with six outwardly radiating points
Sehanine
Goddess of trickery, love, moon and autumn revered by elves
CG Trickery Crescent moon
The Raven Queen
Goddess of death, fate, winter
LN Death, Life Raven’s head in profile

Evil Deities

Asmodeus
King of the Nine Hells and god of power, domination and tyranny
LE Trickery Three triangles in tight formation
Bane
God of war and conquest
LE War Claw with three talons pointing down
Gruumsh
God of destruction revered by orcs
CE Tempest, War Unblinking triangular eye with bony protrusions
Lolth
Goddess of shadows, lies, and spiders revered by the drow
CE Trickery Eight-pointed star with a web motif; spider
Tharizdun
Creator of the Abyss and god of annihilation and madness
CE Trickery Spiral
Tiamat
Dragon goddess of wealth, greed, and vengeance
LE Trickery, War Five clawed star
Torog
God of the Underdark and imprisonment
NE Death T attached to a circular shackle
Vecna
God of undead, necromancy, and secrets
NE Death, Knowledge Partially shattered one-eyed skull
Zehir
God of darkness, poison, and assassins revered by snakefolk
CE Trickery, Death Snake in the shape of a dagger

Current Party

Richard Fraser - Human Paladin

Spoiler

593f2e70622b4_images(7).jpg.4072887e6d6c6c6d760180663c3fa220.jpg
Character Name: Richard Fraser
Race/Sub Race: Human
Class: Paladin 1 (Oath of Vengeance at Level 3)
Stats: 27 Point buy array, calculated after Human racial bonus

Strength: 16 (+3)

Dexterity: 10 (+0)

Constitution: 13 (+1)

Intelligence: 10 (+0)

Wisdom: 12 (+1)

Charisma: 16 (+3)

Speaks: Common and Dwarvish
Trained Skills: Intimidate, Persuasion, Athletics, Insight

Back Ground(we can work something out if none are applicable): Soldier
Spell Choice(if applicable): None yet
Character Description: A heavily armored knight in shining armor with a light blue kite shield carried with him at all times that proudly displays 

Not exactly the most Intelligent man you'll find, but he is as Charismatic as you would expect a Paladin to be, and he has an unsurprising amount of Strength, both the strength of the will, and the strength of the body.

593f320b1e7c5_images(8).jpg.41a418a02825cdbbdcb28013dca89447.jpg

Yes I made my character Brendan Fraser, and no this isn't me being salty about the new movie, and yes the lack of noticeable scars on his face means that he is still quite inexperienced in the arts of combat.

Yisan Rednaw - Half-Elf Bard

Spoiler

Image result for half elven bard

Yisan Rednaw 

half-elf

Bard

str 9

dex 14

con 12

int 14*

wis 14*

cha 16*

*( my improvements are included)

Speaks: common, elvish, and giant

Trained: Acrobatics, performance, persuasion, deception, insight, arcana, survival

Entertainer (instrumentalist, singer, and storyteller) personallity trait ("i love a good insult, even one directed at me") ideal (creativity - the world is in need of new ideas and bold action) bond (my instrument is most treasured possession, and it remineds me of someone i love) flaw (i once satirized a noble who still wants my head. it is a mistake that i will likely repeat)

spells cantrips( prestidigitation, vicious mockery) 1st (bane, comprehend languages, dissonant whispers, earth tremor)

Yisan Rednaw is a jolly go-lucky bard who finds enjoyment wherever he is at. his sharp wit land him into as much trouble as it has out of. but if anything he is exceedingly loyal to those who earn his respect and can always be counted on to help. he has an eagerness to learn so that he can always be useful. he one heard a story about mystic instruments that have incredible powers and he yearns to own one someday.

Osborn "Yautja" Thorngage - Halfling Barbarian

Spoiler

100250.jpg

Character Name: Osborn "Yautja" Thorngage
Race/Sub Race: Stout Halfling
Class: Barbarian
Stats:
Str: 14
Dex: 16
Con: 15
Wis: 12
Int: 8
Cha: 10

Speaks: Common, Halfling
Trained Skills: 
Survival +3
Perception +3
Athletics +4
Intimidation +2
Three-Dragon Ante
Land Vehicles

Background: Soldier (Officer)
Character Description:
A fairly well dressed Halfling, wearing slightly worn fine clothes, and carrying a backpack with several large weapons that most would imagine are too large for such a short fellow.

Ragash "Rei" - Drow Sorcerer

Spoiler

Image result for drow sorceress

Character Name: Ragash "Rei"
Race/Sub Race:Elf(Drow)
Class: Sorcerer(Wild Magic)

Stats:

Str:10

Dex:16

Con:12

int:10

Wis:12

Cha:16

Speaks: common , Elvish, and Orc 
Trained Skills:Athletics, Survival,Deception,Intimidation

Back Ground: Outlander(Outcast)

Spell Choice:Cantrips(Fire bolt, Ray of Frost, Minor Illusion, Prestidigitation) Level 1 Spells (Chaos Bolt,Mage Armor) 

Character Description:A young looking Drow who does possses the beauty that drow have. Though even so it is apparent that she was raised by orcs given her attitude of just doing the simple solution to problems liberal use of magic. She wears clothes that look like there pieced together from many different outfits though it may just be here looks but she pulls it off. She doesn't seem to actually care how people treat so she does try and help when she can which usually means more magic.

"Maris" Blackstar - Wood Elf Monk

Spoiler

1000x1000_energy_symbol_by_shiningbill-d

"Maris" Blackstar

Wood Elf

Monk (Way of the Open Hand)

Str: 9

Dex: 17

Con: 14

Int:  8

Wis:  16

Cha:  10

Skills:  Acrobatics, Stealth, Perception, Deception, Insight

Background:  Criminal.  "Maris" (his actual name is utterly unpronounceable if you aren't a native speaker of Sylvan) was once a petty criminal who eventually narrowly escaped branding and loss of a hand for his crimes by escaping into the wilderness.  Hoping to avoid a grisly punishment, he ventured out into the frontier, where he studied at a monastery in a distant land far to the west, at which he learned the ancient arts of combat, freed himself from the illusions of property (someday, anyway) and earthly desire (still working on it), and generally cleaned up his act.  After he hit a wall in his studies, the master of the monastery suggested that by returning to his homeland and facing his past, he might come closer to true enlightenment.  In the mean-time, he feels bound to try to do some good to atone for his criminal past, though his honor may ironically be part of what keeps him bound to those pesky earthly desires.

Description/Portrait:  Maris is a wood elf, not especially tall at 5'4", and of a slender, nondescript build.  He has brown eyes, a shaven head, and a very well-toned physique.  His only possessions are the faded, yellow robes he wears, a set of straw sandals (replace as needed), a wooden bowl to be used for begging, and a razor to keep his head shaved.  His facial features are sharp and well-defined, giving him a distinctly weaselly look, which sometimes attracts assumptions he no longer deserves.  Maris attempts to cultivate an air of wisdom and openness about himself, but thus far only really succeeds in repeating the occasional koan and avoiding being beaten for vagrancy.  Like much of the mystic side of being a monk, this is a work in progress.

Althae - Half-Elf Cleric

Spoiler

6fc0efaae9237e1b1713fcce932d6f77.thumb.jpg.bb466aec3eb37ebee9177194bc549c67.jpg

Character Name: Althae
Race/Sub Race: Half-Elf
Class: Cleric

Stats:

Strength 8

Dexterity 12

Constitution 10

Intelligence 13

Wisdom 16

Charisma 16

Trained Skills: Insight, Persuasion, History, Medicine, Investigation and Athletics
Speaks: Common, Elvish, Celestial, Abyssal, Draconic and Halfling

Back Ground: Guild Artisan
Spell Choice:

Cantrips: Sacred Flame, Spare The Dying, and Thaumaturgy.

1st Level Spells: Cure Wounds, Shield of Faith, and Inflict Wounds.
Character Description: Beautiful blonde half-elf, wearing white and red robes with a trim of gold that wears a symbol of Ioun around her neck.

Previous Party Members

Richard Fraser - Human Paladin

Spoiler

Speaks: Common and Dwarvish

Character Description: A heavily armored knight in shining armor with a light blue kite shield carried with him at all times that proudly displays 

Not exactly the most Intelligent man you'll find, but he is as Charismatic as you would expect a Paladin to be, and he has an unsurprising amount of Strength, both the strength of the will, and the strength of the body.

Yes I made my character Brendan Fraser, and no this isn't me being salty about the new movie, and yes the lack of noticeable scars on his face means that he is still quite inexperienced in the arts of combat.

Sign-up Information

Spoiler

Creation Rules:

• Starting at level 1
  • Max Value for Hit dice at level 1
  • Players handbook content only (unless you speak to me)
  • Point buy system for stats ( 27 points, scores start at 8, and no score can be over 15 before race adjustment. )
  • No Human Variant
  • No Feats/Multi-classing until later levels
  • Generally Good Natured Characters
  • Try not to munchkin too much

Character Portrait:
Character Name:
Race/Sub Race:
Class:
Stats:
Trained Skills:
Back Ground(we can work something out if none are applicable):
Spell Choice(if applicable):
Character Description:

PM me a reason for making your way to the frontier of civilization and a super short nondescript backstory/character idea, that we can work on fitting into the world.
Feel free to ask me to help you with any of this.

Helpful links

Edited by lifesapity

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm signing up, but as a veteran of D&D I don't want to make a character until I know what our party has.  I can be happy in any role, so it's best to fill pick based on what others want to play.

Work in progress character sheet, feel free to jab at it with +1 Military forks of character sheet judgement. And yes I am making a slightly cheesed out Baladin, I automatically try to make characters with as few weaknesses as possible sheet wise, although funnily enough I don't understand the 5e Traits, Ideals, and Flaws system....which is probably firing up warning signs in your head right now.

Character Portrait: Because most of you know what references I am going to make anyway.

Character Description: A heavily armored knight in shining armor with a light blue kite shield carried with him at all times that proudly displays the symbol of his Goddess The Raven Queen.

And let's face it, I am going to be nominally Chaotic Neutral with Chaotic Good tendencies, which is a thing that I think means "A free spirit that does his best to follow his conscience but sometimes fails due to the nature of his job", and to anyone who will inevitably point out how the Oath of Ancients Paladin is a thing for NG to CG characters, I honestly just don't like their fluff.

I am also a flip flopper, this character is now Lawful Neutral leaning towards Lawful Good, so if you think it will get you arrested and you are not doing it for a good reason (Not the alignment, as in an actually good reason to break the law), then my character is going to give you his "I'm not mad....just disappointed face", presumably while making a speech. You have been warned.

Edited by Cronos5010
Heh

Don't worry about the trait system it is just to encourage roll play by helping you decide how your character thinks, other then that the sheet looks good. I will eventually need some sort of picture to represent the character for the battles( finding a decent representation online is fine (after you finalise your character details of course))

Edited by lifesapity

my bardic ears are burning. another adventure awaits. (i go bag and go leave my (temporary) dwelling. 

i have some inquiries. i have all of the 5e books and some of them have additional things in them, am i allowed to use them? ( exaples include new spells, races, backgrounds)

also ask if you have not already, ask megagun to play also. he is good dnd player

Character Portrait: Bottom of Post... couldn't figure out how to move it on my phone :/
Character Name: Osborn "Yautja" Thorngage
Race/Sub Race: Stout Halfling
Class: Barbarian
Stats:
Str: 14
Dex: 16
Con: 15
Wis: 12
Int: 8
Cha: 10
Trained Skills: 
Survival +3
Perception +3
Athletics +4
Intimidation +2
Three-Dragon Ante
Land Vehicles
Background: Soldier (Officer)
Character Description:
A fairly well dressed Halfling, wearing slightly worn fine clothes, and carrying a backpack with several large weapons that most would imagine are too large for such a short fellow.

Screenshot_2017-06-12-11-04-18.jpeg

Edited by Megagun

I'm working on my sheet now.  Should have it up in a day or two.  Probably going to play a skill monkey of some sort.  Rogues get a lot of skills, so I'll go with that unless another class that fills the role catches my eye.

Friendly reminder that this is D&D where in combat healing is waste and out of combat healing is a problem we can solve with massive amounts of actually good in this edition healing potions, also forcing the bard to be a College of Knowledge one and take the good Cleric healing spells.

Also @rustytengo have you considered Druids?

Spoiler

here is my character

Image result for half elven bard

Yisan Rednaw 

half-elf

Bard

str 9

dex 14

con 12

int 14*

wis 14*

cha 16*

*( my improvements are included)

Acrobatics, performance, persuasion, deception, insight, arcana, survival

Entertainer (instrumentalist, singer, and storyteller) personallity trait ("i love a good insult, even one directed at me") ideal (creativity - the world is in need of new ideas and bold action) bond (my instrument is most treasured possession, and it remineds me of someone i love) flaw (i once satirized a noble who still wants my head. it is a mistake that i will likely repeat)

spells cantrips( prestidigitation, vicious mockery) 1st (bane, comprehend languages, dissonant whispers, earth tremor)

Yisan Rednaw is a jolly go-lucky bard who finds enjoyment wherever he is at. his sharp wit land him into as much trouble as it has out of. but if anything he is exceedingly loyal to those who earn his respect and can always be counted on to help. he has an eagerness to learn so that he can always be useful. he one heard a story about mystic instruments that have incredible powers and he yearns to own one someday.

just in case you want to know what i am playing

Spoiler

Character Portrait: okay have fun finding a drow female that isn't basically naked 

Image result for drow sorceress

Character Name: Ragash "Rei"
Race/Sub Race:Elf(Drow)
Class: Sorcerer(Wild Magic)

Stats:

Str:10

Dex:16

Con:12

int:10

Wis:12

Cha:16

Trained Skills:Athletics, Survival,Deception,Intimidation,perception.

Back Ground: Outlander(Outcast)

Spell Choice:Cantrips(Fire bolt, Ray of Frost, Minor Illusion, Prestidigitation) Level 1 Spells (Chaos Bolt,Mage Armor,Magic Missile) 

Character Description:A young looking Drow who does possses the beauty that drow have. Though even so it is apparent that she was raised by orcs given her attitude of just doing the simple solution to problems liberal use of magic. She wears clothes that look like there pieced together from many different outfits though it may just be here looks but she pulls it off. She doesn't seem to actually care how people treat so she does try and help when she can which usually means more magic.

Edited by rustytengo