EV and IVs?

Vhandrake

I believe i'm horrible on choosing topics, i'm trying my best! 

So, i've been playing Pokémon for quite a loooong time, never really cared for the EVs and IVs for 2 reasons: First i always thought "If i captured this pokémon, i'll stick with you, i'll be your friend and i don't care if you're amazing or horrible, i'll get the best of you) and second i didn't really think EVs and IVs were a big deal anyways, just small differences...

But the more i read the forums, the more i believe i was wrong, that EVs and IVs are actually very important... Is that correct? If so, can someone with enough patience and time explain it to me?
Thank you!!

Edited by Vhandrake

I'll try my best here:

IV's are the one you have little to no control over, you can influence them by breeding with certain items but outside of that they're completely random. the IV's are judge by a number from 0 to 31, 0 being the worst and 31 being the best. each point in IV's increases the stat that it's in by 1 point

EV's are similar, but you can actually influence and train for these. the key difference here if that EV's have a max of 252 points per stat, while having a max number of EV points of 510 to go for each pokemon. so you gotta devide those 510 points over the stats where you deam them useful (for example putting 252 in speed and attack for garchomp). each 4 EV points you get for a certain stat increases the stat by one, meaning that with the max number of EV's in one stat it increases by 66 points, which is quite a big boost.

there are items that can help you trin for EV;s, the most popular being the Macho Brace.

this is all I can tell you about EV's and IV's but I hope it helps

11 minutes ago, Wolfox Glace said:

I'll try my best here:

IV's are the one you have little to no control over, you can influence them by breeding with certain items but outside of that they're completely random. the IV's are judge by a number from 0 to 31, 0 being the worst and 31 being the best. each point in IV's increases the stat that it's in by 1 point

EV's are similar, but you can actually influence and train for these. the key difference here if that EV's have a max of 252 points per stat, while having a max number of EV points of 510 to go for each pokemon. so you gotta devide those 510 points over the stats where you deam them useful (for example putting 252 in speed and attack for garchomp). each 4 EV points you get for a certain stat increases the stat by one, meaning that with the max number of EV's in one stat it increases by 66 points, which is quite a big boost.

there are items that can help you trin for EV;s, the most popular being the Macho Brace.

Dang, so they're actually a big difference.. Well, i'll have to keep that in my, thank you so much! 

1 minute ago, Wolfox Glace said:

I'll try my best here:

This.

Also, if you begin EV training a pokemon, you should consider using these tips:

1) Every pokemon gives you different points in a stat (example: Sentret can give you 1 Attack EV, Fletchling 1 Speed EV, etc...)

2) You can use Vitamins (Protein, Calcium, etc...) to raise a pokemon's EV very fast. Note that if for example you want to raise your pokemon's attack stat, you will need to use Protein and each Protein raises the Attack EVs by 10

and only until it hits 100 Attack EVs. So when you want to start the training make sure you use the Vitamins first.

3) Aside from Macho Brace which can double the amount of EV your pokemon gets when it defeats another pokemon, there also items such as Power Band which gives your pokemon 4 EV points in Speed regardless of the pokemon it fought (note: as of Sun/Moon these items give 8 points in a stat).

4) Natures are also important. Aside from neutral natures, every one of them boosts a certain stat and weakens another one (example: Lonely nature raises Attack but decreases Defence).

While all of that may sound tedious, the good news here is that in terms of importance, its EV->Nature->IV, at max scaling (LV100) a maxed EV stat will give you 64 points, a Positive Nature a 10% boost to the affected stat, and 31 points for each IV point in the stat.
And as you can already tell, the order of difficulty to get them right would be IV->Nature->EV, EV being fairly controllable, Nature and IV random, but IV has more variance and takes careful breeding in order to reach the optimal breed.

1 minute ago, TwinAero said:

While all of that may sound tedious, the good news here is that in terms of importance, its EV->Nature->IV, at max scaling (LV100) a maxed EV stat will give you 64 points, a Positive Nature a 10% boost to the affected stat, and 31 points for each IV point in the stat.
And as you can already tell, the order of difficulty to get them right would be IV->Nature->EV, EV being fairly controllable, Nature and IV random, but IV has more variance and takes careful breeding in order to reach the optimal breed.

So you can .."Control" the IVs with breeding? I thought it was all random 

16 minutes ago, Alextron said:

This.

Also, if you begin EV training a pokemon, you should consider using these tips:

1) Every pokemon gives you different points in a stat (example: Sentret can give you 1 Attack EV, Fletchling 1 Speed EV, etc...)

2) You can use Vitamins (Protein, Calcium, etc...) to raise a pokemon's EV very fast. Note that if for example you want to raise your pokemon's attack stat, you will need to use Protein and each Protein raises the Attack EVs by 10

and only until it hits 100 Attack EVs. So when you want to start the training make sure you use the Vitamins first.

3) Aside from Macho Brace which can double the amount of EV your pokemon gets when it defeats another pokemon, there also items such as Power Band which gives your pokemon 4 EV points in Speed regardless of the pokemon it fought (note: as of Sun/Moon these items give 8 points in a stat).

4) Natures are also important. Aside from neutral natures, every one of them boosts a certain stat and weakens another one (example: Lonely nature raises Attack but decreases Defence).

Dang, this takes more thinking than i expected, maybe that's why i struggle more than i should

30 minutes ago, Vhandrake said:

So you can .."Control" the IVs with breeding? I thought it was all random 

You can indeed control IVs in a certain extend.

For example you have a Ditto (most popular breeding machine) which has perfect Attack IVs (31) and you decide to breed with it. The pokemon that hatches from the egg CAN inherit the IVs of its parents.

To go into more detail, as of Gen 6 if at least one parent pokemon is holding Destiny Knot the offspring may inherit 5 of the IVs of the parent holding the item. Also by having the other parent hold an EV training item (ex. Power Bracer) the offspring is certain to inherit its stat (Power Bracer helps in Attack EV training, so the pokemon will certainly inherit the Speed stat of its parent pokemon).

So if Ditto is holding Destiny Knot and the other parent holds Power Bracer, the offspring will 100% inherit Ditto's Attack IV along with 4 other IVs (meaning if your ditto also had other good IVs it can help immensely in breeding a very good team).

Hope that this also helps.

Edited by Alextron
Mistakes happen

1 minute ago, Alextron said:

For example you have a Ditto (most popular breeding machine) which has perfect Attack IVs (31) and you decide to breed with it. The pokemon that hatches from the egg CAN inherit the IVs of its parents.

To go into more detail, as of Gen 6 if at least one parent pokemon is holding Destiny Knot the offspring may inherit 5 of the IVs of its parents. Also by having the other parent hold an EV training item (ex. Power Bracer) the offspring is certain to inherit its stat (Power Bracer helps in Speed EV training, so the pokemon will certainly inherit the Speed stat of its parent pokemon).

My goodness, i feel like a complete ignorant now.. And i was like "Meh, i don't care, i'll just play with it no matter how good/bad it is" 

1 minute ago, Vhandrake said:

My goodness, i feel like a complete ignorant now.. And i was like "Meh, i don't care, i'll just play with it no matter how good/bad it is" 

I also had this mindset, until I played Reborn and Showdown. It made me worry a lot more about how these can influence the game.

But you don't have to force yourself into taking things like EVs and IVs too seriously. Try to learn about them at your own pace.

5 minutes ago, Alextron said:

To go into more detail, as of Gen 6 if at least one parent pokemon is holding Destiny Knot the offspring may inherit 5 of the IVs of its parents. Also by having the other parent hold an EV training item (ex. Power Bracer) the offspring is certain to inherit its stat (Power Bracer helps in Speed EV training, so the pokemon will certainly inherit the Speed stat of its parent pokemon).

I suppose Power Anklet helps in speed EV training :P whereas Power Bracer helps in Atk Training.

Just now, S.paul said:

I suppose Power Anklet helps in speed EV training :P whereas Power Bracer helps in Atk Training.

I was editing my post till someone made another post and ruined my edits.

Will edit now though, thanks.

2 things I forgot to mention about EV training:

1) Pokerus is a great training condition for your pokemon, since it can double the income of EVs it gets with each pokemon defeated.

2) If you want to reset the EVs of your pokemon you can use berries such as Pomeg Berry (it decreased the HP EVs by 10) but also increase happiness. In the official games (Gen 6 and onwards) you can use Reset Bags thorugh Super Training to reset all of the EVs insantly.

27 minutes ago, Alextron said:

2 things I forgot to mention about EV training:

1) Pokerus is a great training condition for your pokemon, since it can double the income of EVs it gets with each pokemon defeated.

2) If you want to reset the EVs of your pokemon you can use berries such as Pomeg Berry (it decreased the HP EVs by 10) but also increase happiness. In the official games (Gen 6 and onwards) you can use Reset Bags thorugh Super Training to reset all of the EVs insantly.

And why is it useful to reset the EVs?

3 minutes ago, Vhandrake said:

And why is it useful to reset the EVs?

It's really if you messed up when EV training or if you want to EV train a pokemon from scratch using a different EV spread

1 minute ago, Lucky1998 said:

It's really if you messed up when EV training or if you want to EV train a pokemon from scratch using a different EV spread

Oh, i really didn't know you could mess up the EV training.. just faster training or not.. But you can get all maxed out... Right?

11 minutes ago, Vhandrake said:

Oh, i really didn't know you could mess up the EV training.. just faster training or not.. But you can get all maxed out... Right?

So a single pokemon can only have a maximum of 510 EVs total and 252 in each stat. So it would be impossible to max out each stat in terms of EVs. You can only maximize 2 stats at one time because of this limit. 

Just now, Lucky1998 said:

So a single pokemon can only have a maximum of 510 EVs total and 252 in each stat. So it would be impossible to max out each stat in terms of EVs. You can only maximize 2 stats at one time because of this limit. 

Oh dang, noted on that one

to give an example on what virtue said: if you have a pokemon that has a really good base special attack and a very bad physical attack and you happend to have 252 ev's in physical attack paired with special attacking moves then you might want to reset your attack ev's and invest in special attack ev's.

funnily enough this is the first game where i actually breed for good iv's  and i have to say getting the first 3 is fairly easy, the 4th and 5th are ok but the last one is really time consuming to get in my experience. but there are ways to make it faster if you really want to get into it. first of all have a pokemon with flame body in your party which will speed up eg hatching. if you do not get the right iv's do not throw them away but either wondertrade them or see if you can trade with someone here. yes wondertrading will give you a lot of ratatta's and stuff but if you filter out the garbage you actually get some decent stuff that might have some work done for you (i got a 5 good iv's litwick for example).

However you nearly never need a 6iv pokemon, since you can just have the bad iv in the attacking stat you are not using,  eg Sp Atk for Bisharp.

The 2 times it is useful is for breeding other pokemon and for mixed attackers. 

Edited by lifesapity