Monoice team

240px-038Ninetales-Alola.png.f69ba3be91b13e35112e8295f3bd975f.png250px-091Cloyster.png.9ab92be04c30974eaf461bedfd3e7951.png250px-221Piloswine.png.7d065e2bfd1225ecd93bc1f63c84339a.png250px-713Avalugg.png.37b3d8627a17a39a45f0b46128400258.png600px-479Rotom-Frost.png.28f8c427bb0d81a0e8c803231b039d6a.png240px-646Kyurem-Black.png.a7dc174ab90b95f04627cd335b9775d2.png

Hello once again everyone, today Im bringing you my team I use for the monotype tier. It can be tricky to use, it is hard to play around and fragile too much, but still it is my favourite team and reaching to 1500+ ladder just with mono ice was hard for me .

Click here to see my latest battle with this team

From replay u can see , even in the favorable matchup, it still struggles to make a decent impact.

Before I start introducing the team and the moveset mechanic, I would like to talk about ice's current stand in the monotype. It is sadly one of the forgotten types in the current mono metagame, due to its lack of variety and the type weakness. Ice type can only resist itself and no other type, but in return 4 types can hit ice effectively. Two of most used types fighting and steel is a reason why ice teams are not overly used. Homewer in gen7, ice had a great additions, the existence of Z moves made some pokemons powerful wall breakers, provided more support, ice type climbed a few spots . It can even outmatch fire and rock from a bad matchup status.  Since we cant really defend against anything, it is best to run as much as offensive pokemon possible, due to its lack of resistances. 

One good benefit of ice is it can hit both dragon and flying real hard, 2 of most used types. 

Piloswine @ Eviolite  
Ability: Thick Fat  
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD  
Careful Nature  
- Rock Slide  
- Earthquake  
- Stealth Rock  
- Icicle Crash

As usual, I start with a rock setter. the amount of ice mons that can set up rocks is very limited, but in order to gain passive damage and easier time to deal with fire, we need those rocks up. Piloswine is one of options for that, along with mamoswine. Mamoswine homewer doesnt have the bulk of eviolite piloswine, it cant switch in strong threats easily as easy as it. Here's a basic calculation how bulky this thing can get .

+1 252 SpA Volcarona Fire Blast vs. 220 HP / 252+ SpD Eviolite Thick Fat Piloswine: 182-216 (45.9 - 54.5%) -- 52% chance to 2HKO
+2 252 SpA Volcarona Fire Blast vs. 220 HP / 252+ SpD Eviolite Thick Fat Piloswine: 242-288 (61.1 - 72.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+3 252 SpA Volcarona Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Eviolite Thick Fat Piloswine: 306-360 (75.7 - 89.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+4 252 SpA Volcarona Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Eviolite Thick Fat Piloswine: 362-428 (89.6 - 105.9%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO

0 Atk Piloswine Rock Slide vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Volcarona: 308-364 (99 - 117%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO
These calculation means in a worst case scenario, an eviolite piloswine can revenge kill a +4 volcarona. This is a chance you want to have simply because ice suffers alot from boosting mons, due to lack of defensive pokemons and revenge killers. 

+1 252 SpA Volcarona Fire Blast vs. 0 HP / 0- SpD Thick Fat Mamoswine: 468-552 (129.6 - 152.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
A standart mamoswine cant even live a +1 fireblast.

Earthquake and icicle crash are our stabs to help us deal some damage.

Avalugg @ Rocky Helmet  
Ability: Sturdy  
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def  
Impish Nature  
- Rapid Spin  
- Mirror Coat  
- Earthquake  
- Recover

As usual, the second pokemon I pick is a rapid spinner. The rapid spinner/defogger in ice type is very very limited and it needs to be picked well. The 2 defoggers takes 50% damage from rocks, and other rapid spinners are not bulky enough. Homewer avalugg has one of best physical bulk across all pokemon, with amazing 95/184 hp def stats. Recover helps you to regain hp vs any physical attacker, earthquake mainly used to deal with steel, mons like excadrill, scizor and doublade. Mirror coat is the ultimate lure to take down a special sweeper. Avalugg's role is keeping rocks away from your field, because most of ice types takes 25% from rocks, that means our momentum is limited. It also breaks sash and prevents our cloyster from setting up.

Kyurem-Black @ Icium Z  
Ability: Teravolt  
Shiny: Yes  
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD  
Adamant Nature  
- Freeze Shock  
- Outrage  
- Roost  
- Fusion Bolt

We need a strong wall breaker in order to crash thru some types, kyurem black fits that role perfectly with its 170 stat in attack. Outrage is our typical stab that hits anything hard, fusion bolt is our main attack versus water teams, roost is for some more recovery and freeze shock is for icium z. An adamant 170 atk boosted STAB Icium z hits harder than anything else, tears down stally mons apart and make a hole in the enemy teams. Several examples; 

252+ Atk Teravolt Kyurem-Black Subzero Slammer (200 BP) vs. 4 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 580-684 (90.3 - 106.5%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO
252+ Atk Teravolt Kyurem-Black Subzero Slammer (200 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Porygon2: 226-267 (60.4 - 71.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

There are very few amount of pokemons that can knockout chansey from full hp without a boost and a super effective hit. Kyurem manages that easily and can deal with the rubber duck just like that way. Kyurem Black without a doubt is one of strongest pokemons in the game overall, and it shines in the ice teams.

Ninetales-Alola @ Light Clay  
Ability: Snow Warning  
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe  
Timid Nature  
IVs: 0 Atk  
- Aurora Veil  
- Blizzard  
- Moonblast  
- Freeze-Dry

The lovely addition of this in gen7 was a gift from gods to ice. Free hail summon breaks sashes . Blizzard never misses under hail so its a very strong stab move. Moonblast helps with dark and fighting types, freeze dry is secondary weak main stab when we dont have hail up, it also helps with water types well. Aurora veil sets instantly dual screen to your side, lasts 8 turns with light clay means u will take 50% damage for 8 turns . 

Rotom-Frost @ Choice Specs  
Ability: Levitate  
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD  
Modest Nature  
- Trick  
- Volt Switch  
- Hidden Power [Fire]  
- Blizzard

After some attackers, I went to pick another utility mon, extra help to shut down stallers. Rotom with trick does that perfectly, shutting down any passive defensive mon. Volt switch provides momentum that team needs, blizzard is boosted by hail, hidden power is really needed in order to fight steel. Running bulky specs instead of fast scarf let us live several priority threats , which is good.

Cloyster @ Focus Sash  
Ability: Skill Link  
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe  
Adamant Nature  
- Shell Smash  
- Rock Blast  
- Icicle Spear  
- Ice Shard

Cloyster earned its nickname as a janitor in Gen 6 UU metagame, due to its potential of clearing house in the lategame. Focus sash over white herb let us live a hit if the enemy is threathening us. Icicle spear is our 5 hit STAB move due to our lovely ability. Rock blast is coverage needed for fire and bug , and hits hard vs neutral targets such as heatran/scizor etc. Ice shard is our priority move in case of scarfers such as moxie mence. It can be replaced with hydro pump with waterium z occasionally to have easier time versus steel types. Only thing it truly struggle against is priority, since most of time you hit with 1 hp you have after the sash. 

Types that ice is good against : Grass, Ground , Dragon , Flying , Water , Rock ,  Normal
Types that ice struggles against : Steel, Fighting , Psychic ( Occasionally) , Fairy
Types that ice is equally strong with : Whatever remains from above.

Importable :
Spoiler

Kyurem-Black @ Icium Z  
Ability: Teravolt  
Shiny: Yes  
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD  
Adamant Nature  
- Freeze Shock  
- Outrage  
- Roost  
- Fusion Bolt  

Avalugg @ Rocky Helmet  
Ability: Sturdy  
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def  
Impish Nature  
- Rapid Spin  
- Mirror Coat  
- Earthquake  
- Recover  

Rotom-Frost @ Choice Specs  
Ability: Levitate  
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD  
Modest Nature  
- Trick  
- Volt Switch  
- Hidden Power [Fire]  
- Blizzard  

Ninetales-Alola @ Light Clay  
Ability: Snow Warning  
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe  
Timid Nature  
- Aurora Veil  
- Blizzard  
- Moonblast  
- Freeze-Dry  

Cloyster @ Focus Sash  
Ability: Skill Link  
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe  
Adamant Nature  
- Shell Smash  
- Rock Blast  
- Icicle Spear  
- Ice Shard  

Piloswine @ Eviolite  
Ability: Thick Fat  
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD  
Careful Nature  
- Rock Slide  
- Earthquake  
- Stealth Rock  
- Icicle Crash  

Let me know your thoughts and the team and feel free to ask me your questions o/  until next time
Edited by Shingo

I occasionally swap mamoswine with rotom only when I know who I am facing against. Mamoswine is a S rank mon for ice teams, but my team already has 3 ( counting avalugg and piloswine as 1) physical attackers, I am really short in special coverage. Rotom's whole purpose is covering that up. 

My original team in fact has neither piloswine and rotom F, I actually use Mamoswine over piloswine with scarf, and lapras with assault vest for rotom. 

The team lacks a lot of speed! Alola Ninetales while it is fast it lacks offensive power even with max Sp. Attack to even be considered a threat. Cloyster can outspeed anything at +2 but before setting up its speed is mediocre. So that means your team has to bulk attacks before you do some serious damage and even with HP investement and Aurora Veil up you team does get worn down fast. Add that with hazzard damage and you can see that teams with momentum can steadily chip you down before you manage to KO them. I would say to switch Rotom's Specs to Scarf and invest some speed on Kyurem. I'm not saying to go max but at least reach a benchmark to outspeed certain mons like nuetral base 80 or something (Like Togekiss, Mamoswine, Chandelure etc.).

Last make sure your pokemon weak to rock have an odd number at HP so they will take 24.5% from Stealth Rock, giving them the chance to switch 4 times and survive with 1 HP if they don't take any other damage. Also piloswine misses 4 EVs but that doesn't matter that much :P

12 minutes ago, pyrromanis said:

The team lacks a lot of speed! Alola Ninetales while it is fast it lacks offensive power even with max Sp. Attack to even be considered a threat. Cloyster can outspeed anything at +2 but before setting up its speed is mediocre. So that means your team has to bulk attacks before you do some serious damage and even with HP investement and Aurora Veil up you team does get worn down fast. Add that with hazzard damage and you can see that teams with momentum can steadily chip you down before you manage to KO them. I would say to switch Rotom's Specs to Scarf and invest some speed on Kyurem. I'm not saying to go max but at least reach a benchmark to outspeed certain mons like nuetral base 80 or something (Like Togekiss, Mamoswine, Chandelure etc.).

Last make sure your pokemon weak to rock have an odd number at HP so they will take 24.5% from Stealth Rock, giving them the chance to switch 4 times and survive with 1 HP if they don't take any other damage. Also piloswine misses 4 EVs but that doesn't matter that much :P

TBH ice never needs speed. Mediocre speed stats for stuff in general is handy enough to handle pokemons around. There are a mass amount of dual typed scarfers in the metagame ( Like victini , heracross and salamence ). Even when speed invested, most of my pokemons cannot outspeed majority of enemy team. Avalugg is a turtle anyways, cloyster relies on boost regardless to be viable. Ninetales has nice speed tier in general, piloswine doesnt need speed at all, kyurem black functions better when like this, althought I might consider outspeeding bulky togekiss. I do agree with the rotom set up, but after making several tests with it, I found out specs rotom to be far more useful , since the purpose I choose is shutting down stallers. Most stallers has terrible speed tiers, bulky rotom performs better vs those. If I happen to need a better momentum provider, I would use scarf over specs like you said. Ice can bulk things down with bulky spreads under the aurora veil, tbh u'd be suprised by their potential lol. 

I mostly do the odd number thing, but I seem to forgot it this time, thanks for reminding that. 

17 minutes ago, Smogoon Josh said:

1/10 no Glaceon >l[

Sad to hear that my friend. As u can see my avatar also has a glaceon, being my favourite pokemon overall. But sadly it is outclassed by many pokemon, being walled and checked by many threats, I couldnt bear having it in the team. :(

9 hours ago, Shingo said:

Sad to hear that my friend. As u can see my avatar also has a glaceon, being my favourite pokemon overall. But sadly it is outclassed by many pokemon, being walled and checked by many threats, I couldnt bear having it in the team. :(

JK. Yeah, I know that Glaceon is tragically not very good, and it would really ruin a monoice team. :'< why GameFreak