[Game Over! GG] Stranded: A Mafia Game

A good day to all of you! This is Monsieur Divergent, and I will be your host in this Mafia Game. Anyone may join this game, and if you're not familiar on how to play this kind of game, instructions and descriptions are given below. This game will work like a regular Mafia game and everyone will be given a specific role which may benefit your side if you use it right.

An Introduction to Mafia (obtained from Wikipedia and added with additional information):

Mafia, also known as Werewolf, modelling a conflict between an informed minority, the mafia, and an uninformed majority, the innocents. At the start of the game, each player is secretly assigned a role affiliated with one of these teams. The game has two alternating phases: night, during which the mafia may covertly "murder" an innocent and players may use a Night Action, and day, in which surviving players debate the identities of the mafia and vote to eliminate a suspect. Play continues until all of the mafia have been eliminated or until the mafia outnumbers the innocents.

Everyone from the Mafia group and townspeople group will be given a special power, which they can use at Night to help their side.

What is Stranded: A Mafia Game?

I. Opening Narrative

In the year 1986, the Cruise Ship Blackwater was on its way on a trip from England to New York, carrying a total of 500 passengers. As it sailed across the Atlantic Ocean, the journey was relatively safe, but as it reached the half point of the way, disaster struck when the ship crashed into a large drifting piece of ice which created holes in the bottom areas of the ship, causing the ship to slowly be filled with water. The passsengers were placed into life boats and escaped from the ship before it sank into the deep blue. Most of the life boats were found by rescue parties, however, 2 of the life boats, containing 10 passengers, remained unfound. 

These 10 passengers were actually brought to an uninhabited island and though they planned escape from it, it was impossible due to the intense currents surrounding the island. They had no choice, but to brave it out and make the island their new hometown. To most of the people's dismay, one of the passengers, a detective, told everyone that there were criminals, brought in the ship, that were able to blend in and go with the lifeboats. Of course, these criminals were cunning murderers, who could easily fit in the crowd, pretending to be innocent. The remaining passengers' goal would be to eliminate all of these criminals before they would all die, while the criminals' goal would be to eliminate the innocent people before they are found out.

II. Instruction

As stated and implied in the above narrative, there will be 10 passengers [players], 8 of them will be the townspeople or the innocent people while the remaining 2 will be the Mafia or the criminals. 

On the Day Phase, the passengers must debate on who they think are the ones playing the Mafia; the innocent passengers must carefully deduce who these people are, while the criminals must blend in the crowd, attempting to reduce suspicion on them. Everyone may cast a vote on who they think should be eliminated, although abstaining is valid on non-consecutive days, and the one who gets the majority amount of votes will be eliminated. There will also be special events during the Day Phase, which may benefit both sides alike. 

On the Night Phase, the criminals will convene and decide which player they plan to eliminate while the other players may use their special powers assigned to them. The game continues until the win conditions are met; the innocent passengers must rid of all the criminals while the criminals must outnumber the innocent passengers.

Day Phase will last for 48 hours, while Night Phase will last for 24 hours. Extensions will be given if players request for it.

III. Roles 
As a reminder, roles are used during the Night Phase. PM me on what your action will be. Roles will be randomly given by me:

Spoiler

Innocent Passenger Roles
1. Detective - This person can investigate one player per night and find out if that person is an innocent passenger or a criminal. *
2. Bodyguard - This person must protect a specific user per night from being killed by the criminals, including himself/herself. The protected person must not be the same on consecutive nights. *
3. Vigilante - This person takes the law into his hands. He/She has the ability to eliminate one player at night. This power can be used only once in the game. *
4. Dreamer - This person will see three people in his/her dreams at night, of course. At least one of these four people is a criminal. However, if someone visits you per night, you will be too disturbed to dream.
5. Drunk Guy - This person will always be drunk at night. He can visit any one person at night and block their role [meaning, their role fails from working]. This visit is mandatory per night. Prevents everything except criminal kills. *
6. Tracker - This person selects one person at Night Phase and see who he/she followed/visited that night. [ * means the person will have info if he follows this person]
7. Bulletproofed - This person wears a bulletproof vest that can prevent the user from dying once during Night Phase.
 8. Normie - This person has no special ability or anything, but they can contribute to the discussion.

Criminal Roles
1. Stalker - This person can follow one person per Night and know the role of that person. *
 2. Strongman - This person has the ability to secure an elimination during Night Phase once. [preventing bulletproofed from being protected and preventing bodyguard from protecting someone]

IV. Rules

Rules:
  -     The Reborn Forum rules apply here.
  -     All Mafia/Criminal Discussion must be kept here in this thread. Private PMs, discussion outside the thread through Discord, IRL, or other methods are not allowed as well. Only the mandated criminal and lovers discussion will be legalized.
  -     Per Day Phase, everyone is required to post 2 times. At Night Phase, the thread is considered locked and no one must post in the thread. Violation means immediate elimination.
  -     Sharing of PMs from me is not allowed. There will be consequences if found out. Ruining the game is not fun :(
  -     For voting in the Day Phase, use this format ELIMINATE - [Player Name]. Place it in bold. Votes can be changed throughout the Day Phase, as long as you notify me properly. Abstaining is allowed by posting ABSTAIN, as long as you don't do it on consecutive Day Phases. Missing two votes will mean instant elimination. 
  -     If you are ELIMINATED, you have a final post, which must not reveal critical information to the game. Afterwards, you will be disallowed from posting again, except for when the game ends.
  -     Night Actions should be sent to me in PM.
  -     Editing of posts is discouraged. If you wish to have a change, quote your previous post and say the appropriate changes.
  -     Lastly, respect the host and the other players. Personal attacks on others will have their own repercussions.

Questions will be entertained through this thread, or through PM in the Forums or DM in Discord. Roles will be distributed when there are enough players, and the game will start afterwards at a designated time.

Register by commenting below in the following format: [20 Slots used be accommodated, however, adjustments will depend, and we're now running with 15 players maximum.]

Forum Name:
Preferred Side:
Preferred Role:
Do you have experience playing this game: 

Edited by Monsieur Divergent

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, S.paul said:

Forum Name:Reborn
Preferred Side:Innocent
Preferred Role:Party host
Do you have experience playing this game: No

Great job @Monsieur Divergent :D 

Er... by Forum Name, place your username. I will be allowing editing of posts for the sign-ups, so edit it accordingly.

Also, Thanks :)

Forum Name: TwinAero
Preferred Side: Criminal
Preferred Role: Leader
Do you have experience playing this game: YES. Used to ladder so hard the game became unplayable due to getting targeted by every pr N1.

I don't mean to question our gracious host, but have you checked that the current lineup is balanced? It feels like innocents have way too many power roles for the criminal to reasonably win. Unless the hidden roles are fool, yakuza and janitor.
Never played it on a forum before, how will the day/night discussions work? Seems like it could easily go over hundreds of pages if we had to post every time we wanted to speak.

Forum Name: Another retired shipper Amine elhedhili, previously
Preferred Side: Innocent
Preferred Role: Leader: Witch i know im a man but..
Do you have experience playing this game: None

1 hour ago, TwinAero said:

Forum Name: TwinAero
Preferred Side: Criminal
Preferred Role: Leader
Do you have experience playing this game: YES. Used to ladder so hard the game became unplayable due to getting targeted by every pr N1.

I don't mean to question our gracious host, but have you checked that the current lineup is balanced? It feels like innocents have way too many power roles for the criminal to reasonably win. Unless the hidden roles are fool, yakuza and janitor.
Never played it on a forum before, how will the day/night discussions work? Seems like it could easily go over hundreds of pages if we had to post every time we wanted to speak.

The criminals aren't exactly disadvantaged. With what roles I'm giving them that are revealed, they can use it to their advantage if they think smart. The hidden roles for the criminals are quite good as well, thus, I think it should be balanced.

Day Discussions will entail the players discussing on who they think is a criminal, as they try to see who's suspicious and who's not. Criminals will try to reduce suspicion from them as well. Moreover, Day Phase will also entail people voting on who they will eliminate for the day and the person who gets the majority amount of votes will be the the one eliminated.

The Night Phase will not have any discussion. No one will be posting in the thread at all. Night actions will be sent through PM while the criminals will convene and decide who they will be eliminating.

Forum Name: FairFamily
Preferred Side: Don't care
Preferred Role: Don't care
Do you have experience playing this game: Not this one perticulary but I have played this kind of party games like werewolf or secret hitler.

Also asking for roles/sides is counterproductive this kind of game is based around zero-information starts. Preferred roles/sides if used, will actually give information which actually enhance the winning chance of the innocent side.

2 hours ago, FairFamily said:

Forum Name: FairFamily
Preferred Side: Don't care
Preferred Role: Don't care
Do you have experience playing this game: Not this one perticulary but I have played this kind of party games like werewolf or secret hitler.

Also asking for roles/sides is counterproductive this kind of game is based around zero-information starts. Preferred roles/sides if used, will actually give information which actually enhance the winning chance of the innocent side.

Oh. I don't intend to base role and side assignment by using the person's preferred side/role; side and role assignment will totally be randomized. There are two purposes to that though; one, I'm curious about everyone's opinion and the second is a secret, although, you'd probably realize it during the game.... or not.

Eh, sure, why not.

Forum Name: Anstane
Preferred Side: Innocent
Preferred Role: None, really.
Do you have experience playing this game: Very little, none in a serious Mafia environment.

Seems interesting.

Forum Name: sailboat
Preferred Side: no preference
Preferred Role: no preference
Do you have experience playing this game: none but seen some buddies playing something similar before

3 minutes ago, Alphagar said:

I think this sounds cool...but I am still kinda confused as to how it works.

Everything simplified:

Players will be randomly assigned a side (either innocent people or criminals) and a specific role (a superpower they can use to survive). The innocent people's goal is to find out who is a criminal among the player, and try to eliminate all criminals in the Day Phase and survive in the Night Phase by using their actions. The criminals' goal is to eliminate the players slowly in the Night Phase where they can select a target which will be eliminated and reduce suspicion from them in the Day Phase.

To clarify: Day Phase is where people discuss and try to find out who is a criminal; they will also vote for a person they wish to be eliminated and the one who gets the most votes will be eliminated officially. Night Phase is where people use their Night Actions to help or hinder the other players and the opposing side; this phase is also where the criminals will convene and decide on a person they wish to eliminate from the game.

The game ends when a win condition is met. The innocent people win when all criminals are eliminated from the game while the criminals will win when they outnumber the innocent people.

Forum name: HongaarseBeer

Preferred side: Criminals

Preferred role: Silencer

Experience? Kind of, I physically played it several times at parties (several years ago) so I kind of know what it's about. I don't have any online experience though

After a bit of thinking, I've edited the player roster to a maximum of 15 players and changed up a few of the roles for game balance. Do check out the changes above.

Man, editing spoilers was intense. It really took quite some time to do so. I shudder at the thought of doing it again.

Also, when the player roster is complete, I'll be sending out player roles. The game will begin a few hours afterwards, starting with Night 0, where people may use their actions and the criminals pick out their target.

I think you will have to make a clear distinction for day and night, since my night might not be someone else's night

EDIT: I believe this is on of my dumbest replies ever. Just ignore it, please. Or maybe someone can delete it?

Edited by HongaarseBeer

On 28/05/2017 at 3:35 PM, HongaarseBeer said:

I think you will have to make a clear distinction for day and night, since my night might not be someone else's night

EDIT: I believe this is on of my dumbest replies ever. Just ignore it, please. Or maybe someone can delete it?

alas, i think only moderators can delete it xD

Is using an Axe a day or night action? If night:
Do axes stack? i.e:
1) Can the detective stockpile axes and use them one after another?
2) Does using the axe replace the night action?
3) Can vigilante or mafia kill and axe different people in the same night?

4) What happens if someone receives both a real and fake axe in the same night?
5) What about different nights?

6) Does the 40% reveal chance happen on fake axes if they fail?

7) Can Fabricator give criminal axes?

17 minutes ago, TwinAero said:

Is using an Axe a day or night action? Strictly day phase use only
Do axes stack? i.e:
1) Can the detective stockpile axes and use them one after another?

Only once use per day phase
2) Does using the axe replace the night action? Invalid since day use only
3) Can vigilante or mafia kill and axe different people in the same night? Invalid since day use only

4) What happens if someone receives both a real and fake axe in the same night? They keep both axes. They will be labeled as Axe A and Axe B. 
5) What about different nights? Keep as well

6) Does the 40% reveal chance happen on fake axes if they fail? Fake axes have no reveal chance.

7) Can Fabricator give criminal axes? No.

8) Does fabricator,silencer,their show up as two visits for Tracker?

9) Can Drunk prevent:

i)Lovers chat
ii)Criminal kills
iv)Vigilante kills

10) If the Vigilante and Criminal targets each other, who dies?

11) Can Lumberjack give criminal axes?

12) When someone is lynched or dies, is their role revealed?
13) Can Bomber be blocked by Silencer?

9 minutes ago, TwinAero said:

8) Does fabricator,silencer,their show up as two visits for Tracker? What does this mean? 

9) Can Drunk prevent:

i)Lovers chat No
ii)Criminal kills No
iv)Vigilante kills Yes

10) If the Vigilante and Criminal targets each other, who dies? Both die

11) Can Lumberjack give criminal axes? Of course. They don't know who's a criminal or not. But for it to be fair, criminals cannot use the weapon, so technically it counts as not received.

12) When someone is lynched or dies, is their role revealed? Yes
13) Can Bomber be blocked by Silencer? Only lovers' cannot be silenced.

12 minutes ago, Monsieur Divergent said:

8) Does fabricator,silencer,their show up as two visits for Tracker? What does this mean? 

Those roles can have two targets during night actions, will the tracker see them visiting two people?