UU Balanced Team

HydreigonRaikou  sprite from X & YHippowdon  sprite from X & YInfernape  sprite from X & YLatias  sprite from X & YBlastoise  sprite from X & Y

Hello boys and girls, I want to introduce you my UU team I've been using in ladder this past week. It has 3 bulky mons and 3 fast attackers, making it a balanced team. It is really simple and fun to use. 

Hippowdon (M) @ Rocky Helmet  
Ability: Sand Stream  
Shiny: Yes  
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def  
Impish Nature  
- Stealth Rock  
- Earthquake  
- Whirlwind  
- Slack Off

Firstly, we need a rock setter. With its bulk and useful ability, hippowdon is a perfect pokemon to set rocks. Earthquake is our STAB move, whirlwind stops any physical set up sweepers, and slack off is our reliable recovery. Due to that, our item is Rocky Helmet to gain some chip damage from u turn users. Due to its typing it also shuts down most volt switch users. 

Blastoise-Mega @ Blastoisinite  
Ability: Mega Launcher  
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD  
Modest Nature  
IVs: 0 Atk  
- Dark Pulse  
- Ice Beam  
- Scald  
- Rapid Spin

Along with the hazard setter, we will also need a hazard remover. We got various options for this job, but I prefer blastoise mega due to its good coverage + ability. Scald is a powerful stab, icebeam blocks zygarde , gliscor and deals with any other dragon or flying type pokemon. Occasionally it shuts down grass types aswell, thanks to ice beam. 4 th move slot is really optional, but its highly suggested to run dark pulse, in order to deal damage to ghost type rapid spin blockers such as gengar, helps to shut down any psychic and ghost type, and it helps alot more than ice beam while facing latias. 

Hydreigon @ Choice Specs  
Ability: Levitate  
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe  
Timid Nature  
- Dark Pulse  
- Draco Meteor  
- U-turn  
- Flash Cannon

After setting our utility pokemons, we gotta pick some attackers. Hydreigon is really nice for this job, great dual stab with access to u turn. 4 th move slot is optional aswell, the reason why I use flash cannon is baiting fairy type mons, killing aerodactyl mega and killing clefable. Killing a clefable with a hydreigon might sound weird but most clefables in the ladders are built to check choice band scizor, they carry fireblast and most of them runs bold nature. This allows you to guaranteed 2HKO clefable with flash cannon , means they cant safely switch in. 

Infernape @ Fightinium Z  
Ability: Iron Fist  
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe  
Jolly Nature  
- Swords Dance  
- Mach Punch  
- Close Combat  
- Flare Blitz

After a special attacker, we do need a physical one for more coverage . Infernape is handy with its speed tier, access to stat boost moves, good priority and dual stab. Fightinium Z deals with so many things, grants you free kill over tanky mons from +2 boost . Mach punch is our priority and boosted by iron fist to get slightly more damage. You may choose blaze over iron fist if you will but since we dont run sash, it is less likely that infernape will ever get a chance to benefit from it. 

Latias @ Leftovers  
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA  
Bold Nature  
- Recover  
- Draco Meteor  
- Psychic  
- Calm Mind

This is my favourite pokemon to use in ladder. Given bold nature with max physical defense, latias shuts down so many physical attackers , and cover up its weakness on spdef with calm mind. Its unkillable by clefable after +1 calm mind, hits hard in return and it has a reliable recovery. 

Raikou @ Leftovers  
Ability: Pressure  
Timid Nature  
- Calm Mind  
- Substitute  
- Hidden Power [Ice]  
- Thunderbolt

And final pokemon is raikou to cover up the lack of electric coverage in order to deal damage to water types. Leftovers provides passive HP regen, calm mind and substitute works together to gain several boosts versus passive/slow supportive mons such as pyukumuku. Given a calm mind, raikou will be able to oneshot gliscor and zygarde with HPIce, and most of time substitute helps raikou with a free boost incase a ground type switch in. And obviously thunderbolt is our main stab move. 

Importable :

Spoiler

Hippowdon (M) @ Rocky Helmet  
Ability: Sand Stream  
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def  
Impish Nature  
- Stealth Rock  
- Earthquake  
- Whirlwind  
- Slack Off  

Hydreigon @ Choice Specs  
Timid Nature  
- Dark Pulse  
- Draco Meteor  
- U-turn  
- Flash Cannon  

fat (Blastoise-Mega) @ Blastoisinite  
Ability: Mega Launcher  
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD  
Modest Nature  
- Dark Pulse  
- Ice Beam  
- Scald  
- Rapid Spin  

Infernape @ Fightinium Z  
Ability: Iron Fist  
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe  
Jolly Nature  
- Swords Dance  
- Mach Punch  
- Close Combat  
- Flare Blitz  

Latias @ Leftovers  
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA  
Bold Nature  
- Recover  
- Draco Meteor  
- Psychic  
- Calm Mind  

Raikou @ Leftovers  
Ability: Pressure  
Timid Nature  
- Calm Mind  
- Substitute  
- Hidden Power [Ice]  
- Thunderbolt  

Replay : http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7uu-580835247 

The battle where I reached to 1500+ rating in the UU ladder. 

Feel free to suggest me different stuff, or ask questions if you have any.

Edited by Shingo

Infernape is wrong xD i mean even witth iron fist mach punch is still meh, so why not thunder punch for some coverage, also give it heat wave instead of flareblitz, both CC and FB will make infernape vulnerable to revenge killing, so why not a hastly nature with 252 speed, 252 atk, 4 spec atk

20 minutes ago, Another Retired Shipper said:

Infernape is wrong xD i mean even witth iron fist mach punch is still meh, so why not thunder punch for some coverage, also give it heat wave instead of flareblitz, both CC and FB will make infernape vulnerable to revenge killing, so why not a hastly nature with 252 speed, 252 atk, 4 spec atk

Its mainly because priority > coverage. I dont really need another coverage move on infernape considering it doesnt have a large move pool, and its potential moves like poison jab/ thunderpunch are already covered with other pokemons. But I dont really have any priority in team. Infernape itself is vulnerable anyways, its a fast sweeper, many bulky mons with counter type will most likely stop infernape regardless, therefore your argument with the coverage doesnt suit my team. 

Appreciate the comment tho :)

On 24/05/2017 at 6:01 PM, Shingo said:

Its mainly because priority > coverage. I dont really need another coverage move on infernape considering it doesnt have a large move pool, and its potential moves like poison jab/ thunderpunch are already covered with other pokemons. But I dont really have any priority in team. Infernape itself is vulnerable anyways, its a fast sweeper, many bulky mons with counter type will most likely stop infernape regardless, therefore your argument with the coverage doesnt suit my team. 

Appreciate the comment tho :)

priority? why not fake out?  also heat wave checks steelix ( i was gonna say mega aggron lol) also (sorry i'm stubborn a little) and you're welcome

Edited by Another Retired Shipper

It is because the help mach punch provides is far above the help fake out provides. I dont run any status in my team, I dont need a turn gain in order to deal more passive damage. It is not stab, not boosted by ability, can be used only once and forces you to switch next, probably wont put anything in the kill range for infernape and can be easily wasted by ghost types. 

In return, infernape can OHKO full hp hydreigon with +2 machpunch and check many more mons with it. So in most aspects mach punch beats fakeout. ( Needless to say mach punch gets more bp with ability)

4 hours ago, Another Retired Shipper said:

priority? why not fake out?  also heat wave checks steelix ( i was gonna say mega aggron lol) also (sorry i'm stubborn a little) and you're welcome

There isn't a single thing in UU that uninvested Heat Wave hits harder than fully invested Flare Blitz! Mega Steelix is still in OU and regular Steelix is irrelevant in UU. Also Mach Punch is consistant priority comparing to Fake Out and it's also one of the only things that can revenge kill Mega Sharpedo at late game if his team get weaken too much!

As for the team, I would say run some speed on Mega Blastoise to outspeed bulky Togekiss so it won't flinch hax you without Thunder Wave and maybe for uninvested Gliscor and Arcanine (although most Gliscors do run some speed). If you want, you can even put a bit more for Jolly Crawdaunt although I don't know why you'd want to stay in!

The only thing I dislike is the no speed Latias! There are many pokemon that you could outspeed at max speed and kill them before they kill you, even with the extra investment in bulk. I know that your team is already fast enough but i don't see the point of the extra physical bulk when you could just outspeed stuff like Terrakion and Krook and kill them 1st instead of letting them get a hit on you. Try out mox Timid with max HP and see how it works for you and if you don't like it you can keep it the way it works for you :]

On 24/05/2017 at 10:50 PM, pyrromanis said:

There isn't a single thing in UU that uninvested Heat Wave hits harder than fully invested Flare Blitz! Mega Steelix is still in OU and regular Steelix is irrelevant in UU. Also Mach Punch is consistant priority comparing to Fake Out and it's also one of the only things that can revenge kill Mega Sharpedo at late game if his team get weaken too much!

As for the team, I would say run some speed on Mega Blastoise to outspeed bulky Togekiss so it won't flinch hax you without Thunder Wave and maybe for uninvested Gliscor and Arcanine (although most Gliscors do run some speed). If you want, you can even put a bit more for Jolly Crawdaunt although I don't know why you'd want to stay in!

The only thing I dislike is the no speed Latias! There are many pokemon that you could outspeed at max speed and kill them before they kill you, even with the extra investment in bulk. I know that your team is already fast enough but i don't see the point of the extra physical bulk when you could just outspeed stuff like Terrakion and Krook and kill them 1st instead of letting them get a hit on you. Try out mox Timid with max HP and see how it works for you and if you don't like it you can keep it the way it works for you :]

yea you'r right, but Tpunch is good coverage right?

Your team looks pretty nice, but I think running Swords Dance on Infernape is a risky move due its lackluster of natural bulk to take a hit if he's attacked while using it. You could run U-turn for some momentum instead.

7 hours ago, pyrromanis said:

Personally, I never had trouble keeping latias safe from strond dark types just because anything has potential to kill it literally gets walled by hippowdow. Going speed latias with spatk means exchange bulk for power, in exchange there's a very big risk of getting revengekilled by most of dark types, more likely getting pursuit trapped by bisharp,m aero and such . 

Here are some calcs to see the difference even better. 

252 Atk Life Orb Bisharp Pursuit vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Latias: 182-218 (60.4 - 72.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 Atk Life Orb Bisharp Pursuit vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Latias: 133-156 (36.5 - 42.8%) -- 95% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 Atk Tough Claws Aerodactyl-Mega Pursuit vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Latias: 90-108 (24.7 - 29.6%) -- 0% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Tough Claws Aerodactyl-Mega Pursuit vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Latias: 128-152 (42.5 - 50.4%) -- 1.2% chance to 2HKO

252 Atk Krookodile Pursuit vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Latias: 134-158 (44.5 - 52.4%) -- 17.2% chance to 2HKO
252 Atk Krookodile Pursuit vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Latias: 96-114 (26.3 - 31.3%) -- guaranteed 4HKO

I agree on extra speed on M blastoise for bulky togekiss tho, Ima invest some speed. Never thought of that 

6 hours ago, Another Retired Shipper said:

yea you'r right, but Tpunch is good coverage right?

Tpunch is actually a good coverage move for nape but I do have a raikou already.

2 hours ago, HUEnd said:

Your team looks pretty nice, but I think running Swords Dance on Infernape is a risky move due its lackluster of natural bulk to take a hit if he's attacked while using it. You could run U-turn for some momentum instead.

Yeah probably

On 25/05/2017 at 3:58 AM, HUEnd said:

The strat lord has spoken, yeah you're def right, u-turn is great :D

Edited by Another Retired Shipper