[OU] I spit fire like a Charizard!

pyrromanis

Hey my scrubs! Scrublord here and this is my first RMT in here I think. Today I bring you an OU team although the current meta is very unstable with pokemon like Greninja, Lele, Mawile and many more running on rampage! I wanted to build a fun team that is not filled with filth standard mons but at the same time be somewhat competitive (even though it's not :P). So asked the help of my scrub friend @Azeria to build a team and even before I say anything he said "I'll help only if the team has Zard Y"! And so our trash teambuilding skills were combined to bring you this:

charizard-megay.gifexcadrill.gifjellicent-f.gifmagearna.gifweavile.gifheatran.gif

Teambuilding Process:

Spoiler

006-my.png

As I said, Azery insisted to build around Zard Y so why not? It's a solid mega, a very good wallbreaker and one of my favorite pokemon! Gen 7 didn't bring anything new for everyone's beloved starter but that doesn't make it any less threatening!

006-my.png530.png

While Zard is very powerful, it has a very exploitable weakness called Stealth Rock. That's why the team needs a way to remove rocks from my side. We decided that Excardill is the way to go since it can take rock and electric moves for Charizard and overall they synergize very well.

006-my.png530.png593-f.png

Of course, this wouldn't be a team of mine if it didn't have at least one pokemon from a lower tier that is utterly trash/bad very situational in OU! I like Jellicent as a partner for Excadrill cause it is immune to two of the most common weakness Exca has and also resisting the third of its 4 weakness.

006-my.png530.png593-f.png801.png

Fourth pick had to be something that can deal with top competitive threats like both Protean and Ash-Greninja and Tapu Lele. Magearna can eat hits from these mons while also offering good offensive options against them. Honestly, you would rarely see me not use Magerna in any team in the current OU!

006-my.png530.png593-f.png801.png461.png

For the next pick I wanted to use a Pursuit trapper, but Azery wanted to use Tyranitar. While I do think is the best option I didn't want to run the so overused core of Zard-Ttar-Exca from back of ORAS! So I wanted to use something good but also underrated at the same time, since I am tired of watching always the same mons on the ladder. (although I don't ladder too much, I guess that's the reason :/). This generation unfortunately brought a lot of troubles for Weavile with the plethora of Tapus and fairies in general and dropped it in no man's land called BL (or Staraptor's kingdom as Azery would say :P). However it's still quite usable and helps the team with revenge killing Landorus and Zygarde wich both are huge threats in my team!

006-my.png530.png593-f.png801.png461.png485.png

Last mon had to be a Stealth Rock user, cause hazzards are always good! Heatran was Azery's choice cause the team was hella weak to Volcarona with not a single switch into it! But let's be realistic, what team isn't weak to Volcarona this gen? Tbh, Heatran doesn't count as a Volcarona check, but Azery got some heat techs for it :]

In-depth Analysis:

mega_charizard_y_by_ffxazq-d6l4ju6.thumb.jpg.f1cc7d29732b074ffe59fc13a48ab1b6.jpg

Trevor (Charizard-Mega-Y) (M) @ Charizardite Y  charizarditey.png
Ability: Drought  
Shiny: Yes  
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe  
Timid Nature  
IVs: 0 Atk  
- Fire Blast 
- Solar Beam  
- Focus Blast  
- Roost

Charizard is the star of the team and is here to punch holes in any team! Originally it had Flamethrower cause if you are like me you would probably miss 9 out of 8 Fire Blasts in a game! But the sheer power of Fire Blast can't be ignored when it can secure the OHKO on offensive Landorus-T and defensive Lando after rocks. Solarbeam helps to deal with water types that might want to take your fire stab and thanks to Mega Charizard's ability Drought it doesn't need any charge turn! Focus Miss Blast is here for Heatran and Tyranitar that both can wall Charizard. Last move is Roost which can help Charizard stay healthy if you are kinda get forced switch in Stealth Rock and hopefully you can get rid of them later on. Max Speed Timid is necessary to at least speed tie with other base 100 speed pokemon and max Sp. Att for as much damage output as possible.

excadrill_used_metal_claw__by_ethreain-d

Sexcadrill (Excadrill) (M) @ Choice Scarf  choicescarf.png
Ability: Mold Breaker  
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe  
Jolly Nature  
- Earthquake  
- Iron Head  
- Rapid Spin  
- Rock Slide

Excadrill is my way to get rid of hazzards and deal with very fast pokemon like Tapu Koko, Greninja, Mega Beedrill and Nihilego that outspeed and threaten my Charizard. Dual STAB + Rock Slide provide almost perfect coverage against everything in the tier and Rapid Spin is to remove those annoying rocks! Mold Breaker lets Exca hit levitating mons like Latios and Rotom-W very hard and also hit through Mimikyu's Disguise and Sturdy mons. Max Speed with Jolly nature to outspeed even the fastest pokemon in the tier which is Mega Alakazam and anything else taht doesn't also wear a Scarf!

commission__shiny_jellicent_by_icedragon

Nihilego (Jellicent) (F) @ Leftovers  leftovers.png
Ability: Water Absorb  
Shiny: Yes  
EVs: 240 HP / 128 Def / 140 Spe  
Bold Nature  
- Scald  
- Hex  
- Will-O-Wisp  
- Recover

Here we are at the "heat" part of the team!As I said, this wouldn't be a team of mine if it didn't had a weird pokemon, but also it wouldn't be mine if it didn't had weird EV spread :P! Move wise it is pretty standard: Recover is to keep myself healthy, Will-O-Wisp to cripple physical attackers without needing to rely on Scald burns, Scald is for water STAB and with also an amazing secondary effect and last Hex is the secondary STAB that hits harder if the opponent is inflicted with a status effect, which it shouldn't be hard to achieve with WoW and Scald. Leftovers is for longevity and Water Absorb is the prefered ability not only for even more recovery options but also for complete immunity to water moves instead of a simple resistance! On the EV spread now: 240 HP EVs gives me 401 HP stat which gives me the most of the Leftovers recovery (25 HP) without wasting more unecessary EVs. 140 Speed EVs let Jellicent reach 191 Speed stat which actually let me outspeed quite a few key pokemon! Uninvested Heatran, while is almost non-existant in current meta, has 190 Speed letting me Recover 1st before it Taunts me or just hitting it 1st with Scald and weaken it for the rest of my team. It also lets me outspeed max Speed Adamant Alola-Marowak and Scald it before it Shadow Bones me, it outspeeds bulky Mega Scizor and I can burn it with WoW before it Knocks me Off and it can outspeed anything uninvested with base 75 Speed like Mega Heracross and Tapu Bulu and various other mons like uninvested Ttar, 164 Speed Band Azu, Magearna etc. The rest of the EVs go to Defense with a Bold nature to take physical attacks as easier as possible.

a7fe4ce4d1300f7caec745ff0d59e1da.jpg

You cant Ball Like Me (Magearna) @ Assault Vest  assaultvest.png
Ability: Soul-Heart  
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 4 Spe  
Modest Nature  
- Fleur Cannon  
- Flash Cannon  
- Volt Switch  
- Aura Sphere

Magearna was put in the team as an answer to Greninja and Tapu Lele and to do that it kinda needs the Assault Vest to boosts it's already amazing Sp. Defense by 1.5! For moves dual STAB hit extremely hard with the max Sp. Attack investment and the Modest nature. Volt Switch is for momentum since Magerna is used mostly as a pivot to attacks that the rest of the team can't take and Aura Sphere is for steel types, mainly Heatran. Max HP EVs is for overall bulk, 4 Speed EVs is to outspeed opposing Magernas and 4 Sp. Defense EVs are only so Porygon-Z/2 can't take the Sp. Attack boost (which I thought wouldn't work either way since AV boosts my Sp. Defense at a higher number than Defense, but it seems it just looks at the raw stat since I did happened to face a Download P2)

weavile_by_project_occasus-d36sqd8.thumb.jpg.fffbc1882c56c1e817d40a952a7cd37b.jpg

Manyula (Weavile) (M) @ Choice Band  choiceband.png
Ability: Pickpocket  
Jolly Nature  
- Knock Off  
- Icicle Crash  
- Ice Shard  
- Pursuit

Weavile is my second wallbreaker but it hits on the physical side contrary to Mega Charizard. Choice Band is what actually lets Weavile hit so hard in combination with its two stron STAB moves in Knock Off and Icicle Crash! Ice Shard is for priority that let me pick off low life targets that might be faster either naturally or due to a Choice Scarf. It also is my way to deal with dual dance Landorus-T and Zygarde. Pursuit is here for Latios that is a solid check to Mega Charizard Y, but it also lets me kill low life targets that the opponent might try to preserve them by switching out!

heatran_warmykum_by_denouu-d93uqcj.png

Buck (Heatran) (F) @ Shuca Berry  shucaberry.png
Ability: Flash Fire  
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Spe  
Hasty Nature  
- Lava Plume  
- Rock Slide  
- Taunt  
- Stealth Rock

And here's my answer to Volcarona and any other fire type that half of my team is weak to lol! Let's start with the common stuff: Stealth Rock doesn't need any explanation, it chips away for free damage your opponent's team every time they switch. Taunt is to stop slower pokemon to set their own rocks or heal themselves with move like Recover, Softboiled etc. Lava Plume is STAB that it can also high a great chance to burn the opponent and either cripple a physical attacker or slowly weaken an enemy that doesn't care about the physical attack nerf. Max Speed to outspeed stuff and max HP for overall bulk. Now let's go to the secret tech of this set :P. Rock Slide lets Heatran hit Volcarona and with the 8 Attack EVs it has a 50% chance to OHKO it which is huge! Stone Edge can guarantee the kill, but the higher accuracy of Rock Slide is very important to deal with as fast as possible with that threat! even if I don't get the 50% Ice Shard from Weavile can pick it off easily! The Shuca Berry is also very important for this set cause most Volcaronas carry the HP Ground specifically for Heatran. With the max HP and the Shuca Berry unused it actually can live a Volcarona at +3 Sp. Attack if it had managed to set up that much with Quiver Dance!

So this is the team! I know it's not a top tier team but I have a lot of fun using it and it is still somewhat usable. Lastly a big shoutout once more to @Azeria for his help!!! :D

If I had to name the pokemons that this team has huge problems agaisnt I would say Dugtrio  051.pngis the biggest one and Substitute ZygardeSubstituteG4f.png718.png. Duggy can trap and kill half of my team and Zygarde can pretty much set up Sub against everything except Weavile, meaning I can't revenge kill it with Ice Shard Behind the Sub! Other notable threats are Mega Medicham 308-m.png, Mega Gyarados 130-m.png, Mega Sharpedo 319-m.pngand other weather teams.

Importable:

Spoiler

Charizard-Mega-Y @ Charizardite Y  
Ability: Drought  
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe  
Timid Nature  
- Fire Blast 
- Solar Beam  
- Focus Blast  
- Roost  

Excadrill @ Choice Scarf  
Ability: Mold Breaker 
Jolly Nature  
- Earthquake  
- Iron Head  
- Rapid Spin  
- Rock Slide  

Jellicent @ Leftovers  
Ability: Water Absorb  
EVs: 240 HP / 128 Def / 140 Spe  
Bold Nature  
- Scald  
- Hex  
- Will-O-Wisp  
- Recover  

Magearna @ Assault Vest  
Ability: Soul-Heart  
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 4 Spe  
Modest Nature  
- Fleur Cannon  
- Flash Cannon  
- Volt Switch  
- Aura Sphere  

Weavile @ Choice Band  
Ability: Pickpocket  
Jolly Nature  
- Knock Off  
- Icicle Crash  
- Ice Shard  
- Pursuit  

Heatran @ Shuca Berry  
Ability: Flash Fire  
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Spe  
Hasty Nature  
- Lava Plume  
- Rock Slide  
- Taunt  
- Stealth Rock

Edited by pyrromanis

Here are also some replays that show how the team works:

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-579949356

This game shows how much needed is Fire Blast over Flamethrower on Zard and how good is Magerna at keep Greninja in check!

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-579946501

2nd game shows how much of a threat is SubCoil Zygarde! Weavile almost managed to pull it through but it couldn't get the flinch/crit on Ttar :/

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-579945518

3rd game the opponent's team didn't seem to be quite threatening but that Garde was hella annoying.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-579941967

Here's where I realised that P2 can still get the Sp. Attack boost from Download regardless of the AV

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-579937541

This is a very good game! I couldn't get some of my opponent's moves (like why he stayed in with Cress against Weavile multiple times) and that threw me off a little. Jellicent put the team on its back walling most of my opponents team and although some misses from my side made the game quite longer I managed to get the W in the end!

If I may, I notice fire weakness and fighting weakness on your team, which isn't good. But if it works for you and you're happy with it, then good for you! :) 

If you need help tweaking the team, let me know. Shoot me a PM or on Showdown if you want! :D 

Looks good!!!

I'd suggest you to try Taunt over Hex on Jelli, it can stop rockers, set uppers (Zyggy?) and just plain fucking wall Chansey and Toxapex to hell and back. It's nice to troll these mons to death amirite? If you make that change, maybe consider Toxic or a lure move on Tran over its own Taunt.

Also consider LO Weavile to give you some flexibility with the same set. Band was mostly a gen6 trapper on stall thing anyway. 

Also maybe consider Toxic over Slide on Exca, if you wanna mix it up and see how it goes. 

On 23/5/2017 at 2:38 AM, Odybld said:

Looks good!!!

I'd suggest you to try Taunt over Hex on Jelli, it can stop rockers, set uppers (Zyggy?) and just plain fucking wall Chansey and Toxapex to hell and back. It's nice to troll these mons to death amirite? If you make that change, maybe consider Toxic or a lure move on Tran over its own Taunt.

Also consider LO Weavile to give you some flexibility with the same set. Band was mostly a gen6 trapper on stall thing anyway. 

Also maybe consider Toxic over Slide on Exca, if you wanna mix it up and see how it goes. 

I tried Taunt on Jelli and LO for Weavile! LO on Weavile actually made my life easier without needing to do as many predictions and the reduced damage wasn't noticed that much but I really felt it got worn down very quick. Taunt on Jelli didn't actually helped me much since most things that want to set up were already faster and actually against Stall Taunt on Heatran would have been way more helpful http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-580817150

I didn't actually tried Toxic on Exca cause I prefer to damage incoming Landos and Zapdos to put them straight into Fire Blast range instead of waiting for Toxic damage to weaken them. Also is my other alternative to OHKO Volcarona if it doesn't set up in case I throw away my Heatran like this -> http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-580497455 (that's a remind to always go for the Rock Slide no matter what!)

I'll keep the Taunt on Jelli though cause it seems Earth Power on Heatran helped me more so far. But I'd probably return to Hex at some point if I feel that Jelli needs some more coverage (I might also try Toxic over WoW and see how it works)

Edited by pyrromanis