Yu-Gi-Oh! - VRAINS

Cepheus

I just watched the second Episode of VRAINS - and I just wanted to have somewhere to talk about it :D

A few issues/questions I have already:

1. Link summons - as someone who doesn't play YGO active anymore I would have liked a more detailed explanation of how it worked... I got REALLY confused about what the hell actually happenend when Yuusaku Link-summoned his Cyverse-Version of Buster Blader whose name I've already forgotten :P

It just went by to fast... "I put them in the link zones and do a Link-Summon because these conditions are met!" - WHAT?? I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT'S GOING ON!!!

2. "If you would have fallen from this hight you would have died in the real world because of the Flashback-Effect!"

- Sooooo... are all the people who got Fire-Breathed by the Crack-Dragon in Ep.1 actually dead now??? I mean... getting Fire-breathed by a dragon in real life would propably kill me... or at least put me in a Coma from schock and 100000-degree burns...

3. Data Storm is the new Protagonist is in a pinch and desperatly needs a comeback mechanic???

4. All the evil world destruction plots right from the start... UGH!!! WAY TOO MUCH THING WAY TO FAST!!!

That's what I liked about Arc-V ... it started with a normal guy playing a normal Card-game FOR FUN - and not some weird saving the world plot... why can't we have mor of those more simple YGO times??? :(

what are your thoughts??

1) link monster require you to send monsters from the field to the graveyard egual to the number of that link monster ( ex : if the link monster is number 3 you have to send 3 monsters of different lvl )

2 ) well , people never " died " in yu gi oh , they all return at the end ( except that f**** arc v ending :( ) 

3 ) wut ?

4 ) bah , things are getting interesting from ep 1directly :) 

i wonder : when they will make a yu gi oh anime with a female protagonist ? 

well, there IS a permanent death in yugioh, Bruno or Antinomi dies after his last duel with yusei and never returned (still too soon)

as for link summoning you gotta tribute monsters equa to the link that meat certain requirments, kind like Syncrho how I notice it, but no tuners

as for the female protagonist, I hope yugioh 7 might bring that. and not a girly girl. nah, give us a tomboy protagonist!

1) *Cracks knuckles*

Ok link summonning is a bit more complex then what is described for now. A link summon is the summon of a link monster from the extra deck.  The unique aspect of link monsters are the link markers. Each link monster has a specific amount of link markers with a position. Effects of link monsters use these marker in some way. Decode talker gains 500 attack  for each monster in a zone pointed by one of the link markers .

There are 3 requirements that have to be fulfilled for the summon of a link monster:

• You need to match the requirements on the card: decode talker for instance requires 2 or more effect monsters
  • You need to match the amount of link markers in materials: decode talker has 3 link markers thus you need 3 monster for the link monster
  • You need to have space for the summon

A bit more detail and a bit spoilerish:

Spoiler

An attentive eye can notice that decode talker's requirements say 2 or more effect monster instead of 3 effect monsters. This is because link monsters can count as materials equal to the amount of link markers they posses. So you can summon decode talker with a link 2 effect monster and an effect monster since 2+1= 3 however this property is optional. So you can summon decode talker with 2 effect monster and a decode talker since 1+1+1 =3. You cannot however summon decode talker with a decode talker and a effect monster since 1+3=4 and 1+1 = 2. You can also not summon decode talker with another decode talker since the requirements say 2 or more effect monsters.

The third requirement is important as well. Having space seems simple since you remve at least 1 monster from the field but that is not true. A monster summoned from the extra deck has to go the extra monster zone.  The field has 2 extra monster zone. A player can claim one by placing an extra deck monster. if a player claims an extra deck monster zone, the other field is claimed by the other player automatically. So a player has 1 extra deck monster zone (not really but it is rellevant for now). An extra deck monster scomming from other places, like the graveyard, goes to the main monster zone. Judging from the rules you can have only one extra deck monster since there is only one extra monster zone per player. Zones pointed by link markers count as well. So if you summon decode talker, you can play extra deck monsters in the monster zones diagonally left and right from decode talker and your opponent can summon an extra deck monster in the upwards from decode talker.

Now a bit info about link monsters themselves. Link monsters don't posses level or ranks. So every effect that specifies a moster having level or rank does not apply to link monsters. That's why cracking dragon could be destroyed by decode talker since the ffect specifies that he is not destroyed by a monster with a lower level. Link monsters also don't have defense points. Therefor link monster cannot go in defense mode, face up or face down it doesn't matter. That's why pulse bomb  doesn't apply to decode talker. on top of all effects involving defense do not apply with link monsters. Shield and sword does not apply to link monsters.

2) It is conflicting we know for a fact that burned people lost their accounts but we don't know if they survived or not. Flashback could be data storm specific. it is hard to say. Yu gioh does have some permanent deaths, bruno, the goodwins, roger, ... . 

3) Absolutely. I mean the 2500atk monster hasn't appeared yet.

4) I kind of liked this kind of start but I get the feeling world crisises are a given anyway just wait a few seasons. Give the slice of life while players get used to the characters and new mechanics. The episodes are filled I must admit, which is both a good and bad thing. The only problem I have with the slice of life in this spin-off is that yusaku is kinda detached and uniterested and wouldn't really fit with the slice of life setting.

For female protagonist let them first get a female main character written correctly. I have great hopes for Aoi Zaizen. We still haven't that done right. Also why a tomboy? 

the reason he's an outsider is because he's a hacker will probably not want to let too many others get in trouble if he's caught. and the tomboy... idk, just seems interesting to me

12 minutes ago, Wolfox Glace said:

the reason he's an outsider is because he's a hacker will probably not want to let too many others get in trouble if he's caught. and the tomboy... idk, just seems interesting to me

Not sure about that. I just think he is either too desinterested , selfloathing or just not that sociable. He also has an unhealthy obsession with 3 (like laura in reborn with 8) maybe mental disorder ?

The whole flashback thing it's a "your mind makes it real" thing. You react as if the injury happened. All those people roasted by the dragon likely died of shock or are catatonic.

By the way, what do you think of the Speed Duel rules? At the very least they nearly killed Pendulums.

Edited by leocain

• 2 weeks later...

This series is so amazing in its own way. The protagonist is finally back to being a person with issues and actual problems and not some child like in zexal and Arc-V. The plot seems promising and it has me hooked in wondering whats going to happen next. Episode 4 next week looks to be quite interesting.

Yes yuzaku remind me of yusei and his serious attitude , all the contrary of yuma indeed. 

And things are getting serious directly on ep 1 , looking for nexts episodes. Revolver seems to be styled and i wonder what are his dragon's powers 

What if... Yuzaku is a distant relative of Yusei? Let's look at the similarities:

For what we know, Yuzaku lost his parents

Yuzaku is more of a loner and probably prefers people he actually trusts to be around him

Yuzaku is more of a serious person and will think everything through before rushing in without a care

Yuzaku is a skilled hacker

Yuzaku is a strong duelist in both master and speed duels.

now for yusei:

Yusei lost his parents

Yusei is a master mechanic

Yusei prefers to be around friends and people he knows over strangers

Yusei will think things through before acting

Yusei is so far the most serious Yu-Gi-Oh! Protagonists

Yusei is a Master Duelist in both regular and turbo/riding duels

these will likely not be the only similarities and I'm probably completely wrong here, but it's a nice fan theory

You missed a few things:

I'm pretty sure yusei had a few hacking experiences as well.

Second Yusei and yusaku have the same begiining synchro/link starter monster being 2300 atk empowered by allies.

Also Yusaku and yusei have a revenge motif against their rival.

The biggest reason they are not related Yusei is not a dick like yusaku against people or innocent AI refugees. Poor ignis.

Also yusei loves dueling.

But yeah 5d's and vrais have a lot of similarities.

Speaking of revolver how do you think the dub will censor him? You can't have a character with the name revolver themed around guns (seriously he has bullet earrings) in the dub.

it's not in the hands of 4kids (if I remember correctly) so maybe we're in luck. and about being a dick to other, maybe that'sbecause Yusaku doesn't trust Ignis yet. The one person he is friendly with seems to be a person he would also trust with his life, meaning that maybe once he trust someone he will be friendly to them

4 hours ago, Wolfox Glace said:

it's not in the hands of 4kids (if I remember correctly) so maybe we're in luck. and about being a dick to other, maybe that'sbecause Yusaku doesn't trust Ignis yet. The one person he is friendly with seems to be a person he would also trust with his life, meaning that maybe once he trust someone he will be friendly to them

If we see the same dub as in arc-v you might as well give up. Arc-V couldn't handle scissors. 

Just now, FairFamily said:

If we see the same dub as in arc-v you might as well give up. Arc-V couldn't handle scissors. 

Scizzors > Invisible guns and not dubbing whole seasons

• 4 weeks later...

So I just saw the Episode 7...

First of all:

- Is it just me who thinks that the series is kinda slow in terms of duels? - 7 Episodes and only 3 duels... in other we would have like 5-7, depending on if we got double-episode duels... (also why does EVERYONE suddenly know how to do speed duels, when they were kinda out of commission for god-knows how long?)

- "Hey look I figured out that Aoi is Blue Angel" - ok... not that it wouldn't be kinda obvious since "Aoi" literally means "blue" ... but... what was the process behind that? - Why would you research it in the first place??

- also can we appreciate the fact that Yusakus class mate kinda figured out his identity by pointing out that they literally use the same Duel-Disk?

- And story wise... uhhh... what is actually happening? Now he suddenly fights to reclaim his memories and his lost brother?? (calling it now - Revolver is his brother - it got to be, because it would be so cheesy it totally fits in) - yeah... I think they try to do too much story wise, without explaining anythig...

- also... this whole "3 reasons why"-thing that is going on... ugh... really?

Now onto something that REALLY bugs me about this episode 7:

Blue Angel COULD HAVE totally won! - Why did she end her turn without command her Holy Angel to attack? If she attacked Playmaker/Yusaku would have lost... but no... she speculated that he would kill himself with her stupid Effect damage on card draw...

And then she wonders if it was all by his plans to go to 1000 LP to use Storm Access to get a new Monster... IF YOU JUST ATTACKED HIM WITH YOUR ACE HE WOULD HAVE NO LP LEFT!!!! JEESUS! - I thought she was a pro-duelist, or what?

I mean sure... Playmaker/Yusaku is the MC and has Plotarmor... but ARGH! this is so stupid... this is the classic villain mistake of letting the hero live when you captured him and explained your evil plan to him...

And that was right after drawing that Hanoi card... she didn't even had the need to use it if she just went in for the attack...

Yeah the series is kinda slow but instead of duels we get better plot, right now the quality of the plot is exceptionally high in Vrains.

Also most people know about speed duels because they are normal duels but just with no main phase 2 and less monster zones. The only difficult part are skills and are pretty simple.

Well too be honest the fact that blue angel is Aoi was explained to the viewers when they displayed the characters. An in universe explenation is that in the city Aoi is kinda normal. Between all the possible candidates ( thousands of people) nothing between blue angel and Aoi are alike. We just don't see all these people. Akira might have had an hand in that as well.

Yeah, the outdated duel disk was kinda nice. The decoy probably wouldn't have made him less suspicous. Come on, reinforcements, hoshiningen???? 

Kusanagi (the hotdog stand owner and yusaku's only friend) has a little brother that is captured by the knights of hanoi. The little brother and yusaku are not related. The knights also have done something to his memories but we don't know what. Story wise we are doing quite nice: yusaku is hunting the knights of hanoi like a rabid dog. Sol and the knights want Ignis/Ai and are trying to get to Yusaku by indirect means. Sol sends out Go/Emma and the knights manipulated Aoi. 

I kinda like the 3 thing it is a decent stick for yusaku. Its better than "highfiving the sky" at least.

Well technically holly angel has 2000 attack points and salvagent driver 2100 defense points so she could only attack with lillybel. However her skill would havemade yusaku draw 3 cards and boost the attack with 600 and win. Yeah it was an oversight but Aoi was not meant to win in this duel. Yusaku's plot armor will stay strong maybe until revolver.