Speed Duels

Wolfox

Okay, so I wanted to talk about this and I didn't feel like a status update would justify how I felt about this.

So I just watched EP 2 of Yugioh Vrains and I wana give Konami this real quick:

tenor.gif

For those who haven't seen it yet, here's a minor spoiler, you have been warned.

The mobile game Yugioh Duel Links is now cannon in play style. Speed Duels in Vrains play out as a duel in Duel Links, with the thrill and danger of a Riding Duel added to that of course. So what do you guys think about that? Please let me know if you join me in the Applause to konami

I kinda enjoyed it , it remind me 5d's seasons with riding duels. And link summon seem to be interesting 

I notice that voice in Yuzaku's duel disk , look like the alola pokedex 

Doesn't duel links have stricter deck and extra deck requirements? 20 card main deck, 5 extra deck. Deck size does matter to be honest. If applied to real world speed duels would be full with ftk's.

Also I'm not a fan of speed duels, there are several issues that barely will be adressed because anime but you can already see that the cards aren't really made for this kind of duels.

Take for instance decode talker. Decode talker is a link 3 with up,left diagonal and right diagonal link marks. Due to speed duels there is no position where decode talker cannot use its full potential.

Let's not forget pendulum summoning having, 3 spell and trap zone where 2 has to be pendulum zones means they can barely play a trap without locking themselves from their spells.

Or what about ojama's? Ojama king locks 3 monster zones. RIP.

Basically trying to make speed duels official will never work. Skills which is another element of speed duels. If they don't watch out skills, they might be the action cards of vrains.

You already see they replaced pot of greed wih double draw which action cards did as well. There is a reason pot of greed is banned and placing this skill in practical situations is just asking for abuse.

This skill would be forbidden in 5 seconds.

For the anime it ill work I guess, skills will be the element typical to anime. Whther it be deus ex machina cards, pot of greed/xyz gift/speed world 2 and sshitty traps nobody in their right mind will use.

The potential problems with speed duels will never occur. Oh well. Honestly it's just unnecessairy.

I don't think Ojama's will see much use in the anime. and true Decode Talkwer won't be able to use it's effect to it's full potential. but eh, when did Yusei use Junk Warriors effect completely?

Yeah I was talking about duels not in the anime when talking about ojama's. But I don't get this why promote a game mode which can only exist when you have to exclude most new thing in a show about all the new things? It just seems unnecessary.

well, they did the same with turbo duels and entertainment duels. one of those was done well overall. but we've only seen one speed duel so far so perhaps it's a better thing

Actualy I don't think it is fair to say that one of those is done well. Turbo or Action duels each had their own advantages and disadvantages. Yusei is not only reknown for being perfect but also for being the master of situational traps. Yes main characters had the perfect top decks but yusei did take it a lot further. His traps were so specific that they just smelled bs, he even had a trap which required to be sent to the graveyard just to summon speed warrior. This actually a consequence of turbo duels due to speed counters and speed spells. Speed world also came with the draw engine reliant on seven speed counters to eliviate on the draw effects necesairy for an anime duelist. Still angel baton is a busted spell and would end on the ban list pretyy quickly irl.

Yuya on the other hand is known for action card reliant playstyle. People critized yuya for always having an action card at hand if things go south. In return the amount of bad traps and ridicolous draw cards yuya has to play is actually a lot lower compared to most protagonist. This is also a consequence of the entertainment dueling style. Too be honest I liked it more then most people just because I know what the alternative would be.

Each dueling style had their own advantages and disadvantages. Even the standing duels in the anime have their drawbacks in duel design. Just think about the ridiculous draw cards that are used in the anime , that cannot be ported in the real game or the bad traps that are commonly played. Speed duels also fall to this category. Speed duels need to integrate draw power and tight siuation creation whic is common for anime . in this duel you already see that skill, double draw, can alleviate the need for draw power and that Yusaku already has his iconic bad trap ready that will make him survive by the skin of his teeth, called three strike barrier.

the speed world you're thinking of is Speed World 2. that one added all the effects that you could use by showing a speed spell in your hand, speed world itself just limits you from using spells y speed counters, nothing more

Well , on every yu gi oh anime there will be always an " unbelievable " draw to save the heros. I cannot count the number of duels the protagonist would have lost without that.