3DS to PC?

Hello! So i was wondering if there is a way i could play games like Super Mystery Dungeon on PC, as i like the idea of playing pokemon games on a pc, like reborn and original ones like emerald. But is there a way to play games intended for DS or 3DS on my PC? 

(Edit: Sorry, i didn't know if this was the correct place to post this, but i don't really know so don't hate me :P)

Edited by Dr. Exorcist

Sure there's emulators out there, DesMuMe works for DS games I think. Once you have the emulator(s) you need, just find the right ISOs or ROMs for each game. Its not exactly legal, but if you own the original games I wouldn't feel too bad about it

24 minutes ago, Dr. Exorcist said:

Hello! So i was wondering if there is a way i could play games like Super Mystery Dungeon on PC, as i like the idea of playing pokemon games on a pc, like reborn and original ones like emerald. But is there a way to play games intended for DS or 3DS on my PC? 

(Edit: Sorry, i didn't know if this was the correct place to post this, but i don't really know so don't hate me :P)

There are working DS emulators that work even on less powerful laptops like mine.

The main 3DS emulator, Citrus, is still in development, but it needs a very powerful computer to run at all.

Edited by seki108

4 minutes ago, Dr. Exorcist said:

@seki108 which DS emulator are you talking about? And how to i get it? Would love to do a B/W run on my laptop :3

I've only used DesMuMe, but it worked good with playing B/W and B/W 2.  If you are playing those though, I would recommend the hacked Blaze Black/ Volt White versions for more challenge (especially BB2) and all available Pokemon up to Gen 5.   

Edited by seki108

3 minutes ago, Dr. Exorcist said:

@seki108 What's the difference?

The hacked versions features in Blaze Black 2:  harder battles (with the option to have all gym leaders and E4 have 6 mons), have all Pokemon (Gen 1-5) available in game, challenge Hoehn gym leaders outside of PWTM, rebattle gym leaders at some point, Many stat and a few type changes, earlier access to fishing rod, among other minor things.

Edited by seki108

1 minute ago, seki108 said:

The hacked versions features in Blaze Black 2:  harder battles (with the option to have all gym leaders and E4 have 6 mons), have all Pokemon (Gen 1-5) available in game, challenge Hoehn gym leaders outside of PWTM, Many stat and a few type changes, earlier access to fishing rod, among other minor things.

Sounds nice ^^ do i need an emulator for this?

Just now, Dr. Exorcist said:

Sounds nice ^^ do i need an emulator for this?

Yes, it works on the same principle as emulating the vanilla game.  Download the ISO file and have the emulator run it.

1 minute ago, Dr. Exorcist said:

ahhh okay thank you :D (even though this whole emulator thing sounds boring to do with the downloads and such :P)

Thankfully, you are not downloading PS2 ISO's, which take so many hours (even longer is it is split into parts), so it's not too bad.

I would really like to play sun and moon,xy and other 3ds game but I couldnt play it :(

The citra is developing slowly.....

Like an ant....

Edited by S.paul

Just now, S.paul said:

I would really like to play sun and moon but I couldnt play it :(

Yeah, Citrus apparently needs a really high end graphics card to run at all, so it's probably cheaper just to get a 3ds.

So in short. To summarise.

Ds emulation: There is only one available for PC, DeSmuME. It's uhm... Kinda meh. It has many unsupported games and lacks many many features. But if you stick to playing only popular games, and you have at least a decently powerful PC, you should be fine. 

If you want to play on Android, get DraStic which for some reason has surpassed DeSmuME in every single way, but is only for Android. But if you like playing on your Android over the PC, I recommend playing on DraStic. 

3DS emulation is at a good stage of development, but still not something for the average consumer. There are very few games that run optimally, but in the past year they've developed to the point where most popular game can run with only minor glitches at 60-70% speed. Give it a year or two and we should have a great emulator. 

2 hours ago, S.paul said:

The citra is developing slowly.....

Like an ant...

You have way to unrealistic expectations. The 3DS is a complicated system, and in 3 years of development they've achieved good compatibility and high accuracy, with most games playable at 50-60% speed, and the more popular ones being very close to full speed. 

A good emulator requires thousands of man-hours to work, and saying people who work for free should work faster is quite disrespectful. 

2 hours ago, seki108 said:

Maybe if it doesn't go as slow as PS3 emulator development.......

I refer you to my previous comment. RPCS3 is at a good stage of development. Things are improving rapidly, and Persona 5 already runs pretty close to full speed, albeit with graphical glitches. In 2-3 years we should have a great product. 

Just now, Tartar said:

I refer you to my previous comment. RPCS3 is at a good stage of development. Things are improving rapidly, and Persona 5 already runs pretty close to full speed, albeit with graphical glitches. In 2-3 years we should have a great product. 

I haven't followed it fully (only at time when I remember), but it seems very hit and miss what games will run at the moment.  Most games don't seem to start up properly (or at all), while some work moderately well with a few very wells.  Still won't emulate the few PS3 games I want to play, so......

From what I've read, it took so many years to get it off the ground because of who different the PS3 is from the PS2 (since you have to understand what each new piece does and then reverse engineer it).  I understand it's making continual progress, but it is slow slow from a general standpoint.  Still, at least it is documented as possible, whereas a few years ago it was deemed impossible because of just how much more advanced it was.

@seki108 Oh yeah, it's not fit for use at all. But then again, very few emulators are. Give it 3-4 more years and it should be good.

You say that from a general standpoint the development has been slow. But I'd like to point out that PS2 emulation is still in a poor state after nearly 18 years. Nintendo 64 Emulation is nearly unplayable despite having been out for 22 years. The Nintendo DS had pretty poor emulation before DraStic came onto the scene  3 years ago.

And there are many other examples of consoles with poor performance despite being old, with even slower progress. Cemu is pretty much an exception in that it has achieved such a level of polish of a modern console, despite said console only being 4½ years old. 

And imagine consoles like the Xbox, Xbox 360 and the Vita has pretty much nothing in terms of Emulation. And many older consoles have either no emulation or emulators with poor compatibility or accuracy. 

So I'd claim that after 9 years, that we even a PS3 emulator in such a good state, is incredible. From a "general standpoint," it's not slow at all. 

edit: I must apologise if I sound antagonistic. I'm not trying to be. It's merely a subject I care about since I think the preservation of video games is important, even if I don't actually use emulation all that much. And it irks me the wrong way when people complain about the development rate of emulators being slow, while we're in fact in a golden age for emulation with development being faster and more centralised than ever.

Edited by Tartar

51 minutes ago, Tartar said:

edit: I must apologise if I sound antagonistic. I'm not trying to be. It's merely a subject I care about since I think the preservation of video games is important, even if I don't actually use emulation all that much. And it irks me the wrong way when people complain about the development rate of emulators being slow, while we're in fact in a golden age for emulation with development being faster and more centralised than ever.

No problem.  I only know so much about the subject as a whole and some on my knowledge is just personal experience.  Perhaps I'm being a bit pessimistic and just hoping for unrealistically fast progress (this is coupled with my half-baked understanding of the full concepts and how long it is between when I remember to check again).

I thought the PS2 was mostly just incremental performance improvements at this point, but I've only ever played Super Robot Wars games and one other turn based strategy game, so my selection hasn't been very limit taxing compared to other games.  Honestly, I judge most by how well they run SRW games, if at all, so I really don't have wide experience on the subject either.

I know for the regular DS, 4 and a half years ago (dec 2012) there wasn't even a simple save function on the leading emulator, so that's made incredible strides.

Well, there are many ways emulators can improve. Even those that look complete like Dolphin and VBA aren't really perfect. The emulation "ideal" is what's called cycle accurate emulation, which means the interactions between the components are timed accurately enough so that the emulation behaves the same way as the original machine for any given input i.e. the emulator is indistinguishable from the original hardware. Only a few emulators have achieved this, and only up to the SNES. This isn't needed to play games, but to truly preserve the console and its games as they were meant to be played, including the slowdown, glitches and possible other quirks of the original hardware, this cycle perfect emulation is necessary. 

Meanwhile, most emulators still struggle with achieving full compatibility and playable performance. Let's take DeSmuME as an example, it has pretty good compatibility with most popular games, but still, struggles to play some of the more obscure ones, and performance is still lacking. In addition, it still doesn't support key features of the DS like Wifi play, and upscaling of textures and DSiware games. There are still many areas of improvement despite the fairly good current build, which is why it saddens me that development has pretty much halted. 

All of this isn't necessary. But it goes to show that emulation is more than merely having games be playable.  Every single emulator for consoles newer than the SNES still have a long way to go, and that's why I'm so excited for the developments that are currently happening in the scene.