Pokemon Reborn Mono-Grass Run [Post Amaria]

Neco

After, finally, finishing E16 I decided to start a new save and to give me some form of challenge. As the Title suggests, I decided to start a Grass Mono-run. Why grass? Well, it is one of my favourite types and with the many weaknesses it has should give me a nice challenge throughout the game.

The rules for this run are easy: only grass types, and those that eventually become one, are allowed for trainer and major battles. Pictures and batles will be generally put in spoilers.

Chapter I: A Journey Begins

First things first, the protagonist. I decided to pick one of the two females and took the one I thought would like grass types more.

Spoiler

capture000lwsw5.png

Now, the starter. At first, I considered choosing Snivy cause Contrary-Leasf Storm fun, but choose another one for a bit more coverage.

Spoiler

capture00170s03.png

The first recruit, Spike. While I did not want Overgrow as his ability, I liked the IVs. This was the result of the first try, and the IV tend to become worse the more I try to reset them. Spe Attack might be a bit low, but will probably never be used to begin with. Only the HP is somehow troubling me. Oh, and the personality can be changed later on if I'm not satisfied with the neutral one.

After we got our starter, the obligatory test-your-Pokemon battles begin. In a first battle against Cain we defeat his Nidoran after multiple Tackles, just to do the same with Victoria and her Tepig. Nothing interesting, so I took no Screenshots. Moving on, the registration is done and we are given some goodies for our adventure.

While exploring the Opal and Peridot Ward, Spike easily takes care of the trainers and quickly gathers experience. After picking up the Rose Incense, it's time to recruit the first two new team members. The third one has to wait, because I did not receive Zigzagoon, but more about this topic later on.

Spoiler

capture003opsqi.png

The first member I can present you is Rose. His personality might not be the best, but this can be changed later on. I don't really know which ability I'm going to use for now, so Leaf Guard has to work for now (and maybe will stay). Three perfect and one near-perfect IV made me choose this guy, though. I just hope Roserade's naturally high Sp. Def does not suffer with these 4 IV.

capture004i5sr7.png

The second member is Cherry. I feared resetting multiple times to get a decent one, but this is the first one I caught, so yeah. I don't think it will be a game-changing mon so not much to say about it, even though I so far enjoy using it early game.

A few fights and training sessions later, we finally reach the first tough battle. Time to face the nice and well-loved Fern not.

VS Swag Jockey Fern

capture005hns29.png

Spoiler

capture0065bsrl.png

First his Lotad and I want to give my Budew some EP. Let's just say two Mega Drains solved the problem while he did pitiful damage.

capture007cfsc9.png

Next, Fern sends in his Snivy and I switch to Cherry who needs some EP. This turned out to be a fight, but Fern could not get past my regeneration. I set up two growth, Fern attacked with Wrap and Vine Whip, before I start to tackle. However, 2 Growth hardly raised my attack to absurd levels. In a sequence of me using two more Growth, healing in between with Morning Sun, I can start to Tackle him down. Fern uses his only Potion and ultimately Cherubi lives longer.

capture008e9sbs.png

Of course.

Anyway, he sends in his Ace, Budew. I decide to finish him off with Cherry and use another Morning Sun to heal myself (sidenote: this move had 0 PP left at the end). After Fern realized Mega Drain does just little damage, he tries to boost himself. However, after a while I tackled him enough to defeat, even though he had to activate his Poison Point.

capture009ens0n.png

Or just using the right moves.

All in all, this fight was not very challenging, it just took a while. Spike would be faster, but my Cherubi needed more EP. Before he goes he just prooves to be an ass and talks about meeting others at another factory.

After the battle I thought about Julia and decided I felt uncomfortable with just a team of 3. So, as I was not willing to train a Bidoof until it learns Headbutt, I used my Laptop and PC and transferred a Zigzagoon over from my main file to headbutt some trees. Quicker than to wait for somebody else to trade, I guess. The new member:

Spoiler

capture010a3s7u.png

I needed some time to get a female one, but this is the result. HP and Sp. Attack are rather low, but it only really does some usable damage after evolution to begin with.

So, while training Coco, the first evolution happened, yay! Some extra power for the coming battles.

Spoiler

capture011z8s47.png

Now, after a bit of progressing, we are invited to join Julia and some of her friends to raid a factory. More specifically, a Team Meteor base. Everybody who knows the game knows that we have to team up with our facourite character Fern. While I usually enjoy such passages, Fern prooved to be fairly useless. Or rather, my shield. For some reason, the AI loved to attack Fern. Even when having a type advantage against me, they still attacked him. Looks like I'm not the only one who likes to bully him.

After a few encounters and an almost-boom later, we reach the one's in charge. A man with hidden identity who battles the two gym leaders, and Eclipse and Aster who attack Fern and myself.

Battle VS Meteor Grunts Aster & Eclipse

capture012gasrr.png

I'd love to show you more, but I needed to do a second try which I forgot to screenshot. Whoops. Anyway, I used Spike and Fern was kind enough to shield him. The only succesful move Fern managed to use was a Growth on his Budew, while Magby made sure to damage him with Fire Spin/Ember and Elekid with Swift/Shock Wave. I relied on Rollout to take out Magby first. The first hit did deal roughly half HP damage and made them waste their Potion. A crit finished Magby off in my second round. Finally, I hoped the third round of Rollout would take out Elekid... but it missed. Elekid took out Fern's Lotad and Spike & Snivy teamed up. I defeated the Elekid with Bite and a Vine Whip, while Elekid defeated Snivy. So much about Fern's arrogance.

Anyway, after the battle is one, the mysterious man is not willing to fight four opponents and leaves. Afterwards, we go and Julia kabooms destroys the factory.

Before Julia, I did some more training...

Spoiler

capture01966ak3.png

Now, time for the first gym challange.

Battle VS Cheer Captain Julia

capture0205mbo9.png

Spoiler

I have to admit, I slightly overtrained my team which took some of the challenge out. I wanted to improve the movesets and was to greedy to lower levels afterwards, I guess.

capture02169bce.png

Coco outspeeds and OHKOs thanks to HP-Fighting

capture0225nyay.png

The one I feared and the main reason I trained so much before Julia. One acrobatic almost deals half HP damage, but my rollout deals more than half. She tries to heal, but a Rollout finishes the job.

capture023bold0.png

I decided to stick with Spike and hope for some Rollout damage, but it misses. Voltorb puts me below 20 HP and I forget about Sonic Boom. While a Bite deals some nice damage, a Sonic Boom takes out Spike. Whoops.

capture024osb4c.png

Rose comes in and finishes the job. Afterwards, she uses her second Voltorb which goes down to rose as well. Reyling on Charge Beam and not really on Sonic Boom hardly deals any damage, especially thanks to Mega Drain and Black Sludge, which I found while raising some mons, regenartion.

capture026myllc.png

So, I have to switch out anew, for Rose can't damage Blitzle (Sap Sipper, if I remember correctly). Two HP take it out, while Charge Beam does hardly any damage (I honestly wonder why it did not use Flame Charge to exploit my 4x Weakness).

capture027gsxev.png

Please go boom?

Anyway, I feel like using this girl too. I start to set up Leech Seed in two tries (yay), while two Sonic Booms deal a lot of damage. After a Potion use and some LS regenation I am able to heal myself with a Morning Sun. For some reason, Julia than switched to Charge Beam with hardly any damage instead of putting me under pressure with Sonic Boom. After some nice Magical Leaf damage and Julia using her last Potion, the battle is won.

capture029gol5r.png

Yes, you did.

As I said, i probably trained too much to have a real challenge. Victory in my first try.

With the first Badge the level cap rises to 25 and get the TM for Charge Beam. While do like this move as such, it is pretty useless for my run.

After leaving the Gym, we meet Victoria who talks about problems in the Onyx Ward. I guess you all now what this means?

Anyway, that's it for today. I'll post more when I have some more time to write my progress down.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Neco Welcome aboard the monotype train! Hope it fills you with more fun than despair (because let's be honest, pokemon Reborn inevitably despairs us sometimes)! Feel free to message me for anything you might need (help/suggestions/trading possibly), since I am currently doing a monobug run! 

Have fun!

PS Good job on winning your first badge ;) And thank you for not using the abominable serpent Serperior!

Thanks so far. I actually have more concerns about Shelly, though. Corey should be manageable (in the past, I defeated 4-5 of his mons just with Roselia, which should give me enough members to deal with his crobat).

In the last Chapter Julia was defeated and now it's time to progress further.

Chapter II: A Park out of Control

Recently, we were asked to help with plants attacking the Onyx Wards. During our way there we meet Florinia anew and get acces to the ward. We part ways with her temporarily and get going to again help Reborn. Not that we have any possibility to do something selse. We seem to get dragged into problems regularly and seem to be okay with that for some reason. Anyways, a short stop in a Beauty Salon later because our heroine needs to look good we have a Soothe Bell in our possession which makes the gaining-friendship-process easier and ultimately results in another evolution.

Spoiler

capture03054sz1.png

With this bit of extra power it is time to continue our journey. It soon is obvious that we will have to take a longer way, as cracks in the ground prevent us from taking the direct path. Yay! Not to mention the differents vines piercing through the ground. Good they aren't attacking humans. We soon get informed that we have to go through the slums and on our way there we meet a friend, Victoria. Somehow she wants to help the ward and wants to make sure that we are save. After she learns that we want to go through the slums she does not let us pass immediately. She wants to test if we are really strong enough to take care of ourselves and attacks us. She could just tag along if she feared about our safety, but this would have been too easy I guess.

VS Apprentice Victoria

capture031gds9v.png

Spoiler

capture032misou.png

I lead with Cherry and Victoria with ralts. At this point I'm still pretty overlevelled, 1 Magical Leaf almost defeats it whereas a Disarming Voice does not deal much. The attempts to heal are fruitless and just prolong the fight for one or two rounds.

capture033lbs6y.png

In order to train I decide to continue with Cherry. Makuhita does not deal much damage and goes down after two Magical Leaves.

capture034k2s93.png

Now, on to the main dish. I can't really damage Pignite without getting anhiliated (while my Coco knows Confusion, 4x Weakness is pretty bad). So, as I don't have to care about Rose's Happiness anymore, he uses Stun Spore and starts to deal some damage thanks to paralysis before ultimately going down.

capture035pesva.png

Spike, my current counter to basically everything, comes in to finish the job. His def is high enough to even tank some effective attacks, which he needs. Pignite does almost deal half HP damage with a Flame Charge, whereas a Rollout starts at roughly 1/8 damage. Over the next rounds Spike barely manages to win, especially as Pignite cannot always move.

capture036f0snq.png

Probably.

So, with Victoria out of the way we can finally enter the slum. While walking through the area we encounter the usual: people trying to rob us and end up giving us their money and not vice versa and walking boxes. Nothing to worry about, I guess. Not with a team of 4 that are easily better trained than the opponents. When we finally reach the exit of the slums, we learn that the walking boxes aren't really a mystery. In fact, it's a gang of Scraggy deciding to attack us. Nothing too difficult, especially with Coco/HP-Fighting and Spike/Pin Missile, but Rose and Cherry can deal some damage too, even though they don't have the defences to live long (especially when the gang's boss attack). Let's skip this fight and talk about something slightly more challenging but still an easy sweep.

We cannot head directly to the Onyx Park and have to make a Stop in Coral first. There, we meet a blue haired woman trying to save an Oshawott. After talking to her, we quickly learn that she is Amaria, a high ranking gym leader specializing in the water type. Soon after Cain arrives and saves the Oshawott with his Grimer. Afterwards, the Pokemon wants to join Cain who agrees after Amaria convinces him, quickly ending his poison mono rather quickly. Of course, he wants to test his new friend against me.

VS Pretty Boy Cain

capture041b0urk.png

Spoiler

capture042x7u8o.png

I decided to spread EXP a bit and Rose is currently the only mon not weak to poison. Magical Leaf gets a field boost and defeats Grimer relatively easy.

capture0436qu95.png

Nidorino comes after and can use Poison Sting for effective damage, even though it's not much. Confusion slowly wears it down though, even though Cain tries to heal.

capture044v2ulu.png

Do you still remember how i said Spike is my current counter to basically everything? Well, Rollout does the job in two turns.

capture0455dusi.png

Now, the Oshawott. Poor thing, at first stranded on a toxic sea and now having to face a field boosted Magical Leaf. Let's just say an easy victory.

Looks like I forgot the last screen. Anyway, nothing too challenging. Victoria's Pignite was more of a challange.

So, after we defeated Cain he is off again and we can now head to the Park, finally. There, we meet both Florinia and Amaria who want to raid the vines together with us. So that we are able to enter the park we are given the HM for Cut, which might be useful in the next chapter. Anyways, upon enteirng the park we somewhat learn anew why officials tend to be rather useless in Pokémon games (okay, not necessarily gym leaders in Reborn), but the two leaders don't show their finest hour by getting caught in the vines. Soon after, we meet the new 3 in 1 Meteor Admin ZEL. Through some failed experiment three different person fused together and resulted in ZEL. Oh, and they are somehow involved in the creation of PULSE, our next opponent.

VS Meteor Admin ZEL

capture046t4ujm.png

capture047qvu1d.png

For this fight I don't use any spoilers, as this is everything you'll see anyways. Thanks to the AI Tangrowth relied on Acid Spray, which is negated by Spikes's Bulletproof. Thus, a few Pin Missiles later I win. Honestly, without Bulletproof this battle would've been a pain in the ass.

With the problem of Onyx Ward solved, we are informed that Florinia is willing to fight us in her gym. Amaria thanks us too and soon both are off, allowing us to catch new team members.

Spoiler

capture049a6ug6.png

capture050ucuhn.png

jessie&James join the crew! I'm not really sure what Movesets I want to use for now (especially with Oddish), but that should be solved later. Before Florinia I forgot to catch Sunflora, something I'll probably do in the next chapter. Hoppip and Lotard have to wait too for the weather is unwilling to change, but if the forecast is right it should be possible the next few days to catch them. However, I wanted to wait a while before using them because of some preparation, so nothing too much to worry about I guess.

I had no luck with the Cacnea egg, so unless I'm finding somebody who's willing to trade one I won't be able to use this guy in this run (as my main file had seel as well >.<).

However, I tested the Wondertrade and had a lucky match. For now I'll box it, but maybe I'll use it later on before it is actually available. I leave a Screenshot here, though.

capture0679zuaw.png

So, time to enter Florinia's gym. Easier said than done, as Fern prooves why he is an ass and blocks the school of and makes us fight many pupils. Yay, extra EXP! After a while we battled everyone and answered the questions thanks to the internet. Even though I could remember one or two myself surprisingly.

So, time to face Fern. He wants to be a nice guy and wants to spare us a disgrace, how kind of him. Maybe he should've done it in another manner. Now I want to kick a certain somebody's ass.

VS Swag Jockey Fern

capture0513nu56.png

Spoiler

capture052jyux8.png

I have to admit, Lombre is tankier than I thought. I boosted Rose with 2 Growth while he tried to damage me with Fury Swipes and Absorb. I started to attack with a Magical Leaf and deatl roughly 1/2 HP damage, while a Nature Power-Tri Attack dealt some good damage too. While he healed Lombre with a Super Potion, I did the same with a Mega Drain. The next round, Lombre goes down.

capture053xnu0f.png

Next, Fern's ace. Don't worry about the poison; I had James in first for some exp and switched to Coco. To get immediately a poison thanks to Poison Sting, urgh. I started to attack with Confusion, but Roselia's high Special Def pretty much hinders my damage, so  Bug Bite has to make do. It works out, especially as Fern thinks Growth and Mega Drain are good moves.

capture054i7ujx.png

I actually forgot why Spike had some damage, but Pin Missile does the job.

capture055ctugz.png

yes, it is. Later, loser.

After Fern loses he rages... or cries? about how bad I am and don't deserve any badges. And if I as a second rate trainer get badges he should be able to sweep through the league. The usual arrogance of our most loved Rival. He finally let's me enter to get my badge.

Some training later:

Spoiler

capture056abuzi.png

Not that I'm going to use James in the next battle. I lost the nerves to train and without Acid he's pretty useless in the fight.

Now, onwards to Florinia who thanks us anew for helping with Meteor related affairs and starts the battle.

VS Leader Florinia

capture05702uhy.png

Spoiler

A first note: I like it when you can use a Leader's field against them.

capture058b1u2o.png

I start with Spike (and please don't mind his level; 25 is from an earlier test and was reduced to 24 later, but I forgot to screenshot this). I use a Pin Missile which, thanks to the field boost, would've defeated Maractus with 3 hits- luckily, it hits 2 times to make her use her first Super Potion. Maractus used a Pin Missile too, but a much weaker one thanks to Spike's defence. The next turn, a Pin Missile defeats Maractus.

capture0596zurp.png

I hoped Coco would be able to defeat Ferroseed. HP Fighting does some good damage, but Pin Missile too. Ultimately both use a Super Potion (and Coco quickly eats her Oran Berry), but Ferroseed lives longer.

capture060r9uli.png

Coco was so close :( Anyway, a Magical Leaf to make sure I don't touch it is enough to finish the job.

capture0618fu6p.png

One Pin Missile later, Cacnea is down...

capture062ozu9f.png

Not the best choice (I originally planned Coco w/ Confusion, but I needed her for Ferroseed too), But Giga Drain deals good damage and Breloom uses one Spore for whatever reason and a Mach Punch is pretty weak.

capture063lrucu.png

So, I want to train Jessie a bit. I really had no patience for her previously anymore xD Cottonee uses a Protect at first and a Nature Power- Sand Tomb afterwards, but an Acid puts it in red. Another Sand Tomb deals some more damage, but Acid defeats it (and my Black SLudge heals something).

capture064f4u0q.png

I didn't believe Jessie would survive long, but she can get some exp this way. A freshly learnt Mega Drain is pretty weak, but a Smack Down isn't. Time to switch out.

capture065wtu0p.png

At first, I thought of abusing Pin Missile anew, but wanted to give Rose a try first. I heal with Giga Drain a nice amount and one Smack Down does not deal so much damage anymore. I keep on using Giga Drain, Cradily Smack Down and Sandstorm (pretty late), but ultimately win.

capture06676uqf.png

With this battle done, we deserve our second badge and the TM for Nature Power. Victory in the first try.

With this, the second chapter is over and it's time to head to the next Ward. Apparently, plants are on a rampage there too. Until next time~

28 minutes ago, Neco said:

I'm not really sure what Movesets I want to use for now (especially with Oddish)

If I may suggest something, Oddish learns Moonblast at Lv.43, which can not be learned as Gloom or Vileplume. It proved to be especially useful to me against Kiki and Sampson during my first run. It also comes in handy when you want to check Dragons. I'd suggest Giga Drain, Toxic, Moonblast and Nature Power. If you feel like it, you can trade Nature Power with Moonlight for extra sustain and make a tankier build. I put 252 EVs in Sp.Atk, about 200 in HP and the rest in Speed (I think).

As for Victreebell, I used it in my second run (the shiny run), and used Knock Off, Leaf Blade, Leaf Storn and Venoshock/Nature Power (when I got the TMs-or Stun Spore, which may come in handy as well). Even though I put 252 in Attack, Leaf storm helped to check pokemon that have amazing Defence but weak special defence.

Nature Power seems odd-ish (pun intended), but it helps you abuse the fields as well.

10 hours ago, Jess said:

If I may suggest something, Oddish learns Moonblast at Lv.43, which can not be learned as Gloom or Vileplume. It proved to be especially useful to me against Kiki and Sampson during my first run. It also comes in handy when you want to check Dragons. I'd suggest Giga Drain, Toxic, Moonblast and Nature Power. If you feel like it, you can trade Nature Power with Moonlight for extra sustain and make a tankier build. I put 252 EVs in Sp.Atk, about 200 in HP and the rest in Speed (I think).

As for Victreebell, I used it in my second run (the shiny run), and used Knock Off, Leaf Blade, Leaf Storn and Venoshock/Nature Power (when I got the TMs-or Stun Spore, which may come in handy as well). Even though I put 252 in Attack, Leaf storm helped to check pokemon that have amazing Defence but weak special defence.

Nature Power seems odd-ish (pun intended), but it helps you abuse the fields as well.

What you wrote is basically my idea right now (more or less). Good to know it works^^

Edit: Oh, and I'll definetly use Nature Power. It is an amazing move in Reborn

Edited by Neco

Time to continue the journey. Two Wards still need help~

Chapter III: A Forest out of Control

Usually I'd post my team members first, but I'll put these at the end of the post. I'll only show the two additions/changes here I used for some fights.

Spoiler

capture06879uf4.png

The mon I forgot before Rini. The Speed IV is pretty bad, but let's be honest. Sunflora is slow and will stay slow. At least in the early game I had the impression it can outlife opponents with Leech Seed/Ingrain/Drain-moves, but I'm not sure it will have much use later on (other than Solar Beaming Serra, as I have a feeling that I will need this move to defeat her).

capture071b8uf2.png

And now another evolution. Will be useful in a certain double battle ahead.

So, anyways, with these additions it's time to head to the Jasper Ward. Plants destroyed most of the Ward and entering the Police Department shows us that the officials are, again, not able to solve the situation and a random kid is tasked to do so. And saving some missing Policemen, of course. While walking around the ward and Malchous Forest, we find the first officers and some Meteor Grunts to bash. The Forest Field helps me to deal with those, so I don't have to worry too much about coverage. After a while we find another Meteor Admin, Taka, who seems to be relatively friendly, but who is still in our way.

VS Meteor Admin Taka

capture0727uu6g.png

Spoiler

capture073fwuh7.png

A rather uneventful start. James uses a Nature Power --> Wood Hammer and OHKO.

capture0748zuaz.png

Now, Satan the Main Dish. I had to reset several times because RNGesus wasn't on my side, but ultimately won. Rose tanked a Chatter and when it finally did not hurt itself managed to paralysze Chatot. However, before dealing some damage the next turn it hurt itself and was defeated by another Chatter.

capture075xju63.png

Took the screen a tiny bit late I guess, whoops. Sunny seeded Chatot and tried to set up with Ingrain, but 2 Chatters defeated it. Not that I thought it would win, but I felt like trying.

capture0769nuxa.png

Time to finish the job. Spike starts Rollout and Chatot is stunned, just to go down to another Rollout.

capture077u8ut7.png

capture078rzuk8.png

I guess you know how this ends? Acid Spray won't have any effect while the 3 remaining Rollouts take out Tangrowth.

All in all, not a really challenging battle. Chatot is a pain in the ass and made me reset several times, as it easily outspeeds my team and thus managed to defeat my members with Chatter with relative ease. After defeat, Taka invites us to the next Ward and before we leave find a young girl on a freaking Salamance blaming us for solving the problem. Excuse me if you are so slow.

Anyways, we can now head to Beryl Ward. Shortly after entering the Rhodrine Jungle, we fall in a trap of some Nuzleaf. After a while, Fern shows up and offers to free us in case we submit to him and label him as the superior trainer. I decide to do the obvious: rot in their and keep my dignity. Luckily, a certain Chatot soon arrives and frees us. With this problem solved, it's time to further explore the Jungle and save the other policemen. With this out of the way, I can get myself the mystery egg and hatch it to be pleasantly surprised.

Spoiler

capture0800gui9.png

I have to admit, I hoped for Cottonee (cause Prankster), but this guy would've been my second favourite. It should become a somewhat tanky mon, but I'll properly train him after Corey.

So, defeating the last few Meteor Grunts, we soon reach the last PULSE machine, now guarded by three officals: Taka, ZEL, and an unknown man. Heather, the Salamence girl, arrives in time and takes on the unknown man and his Crobat, while Taka and ZEL team up to fight us. They don't really have a banner, so you'll find somewhat of a substitute instead.

VS Meteor Admins Taka and ZEL

capture0812qunn.png

Spoiler

capture0826xukk.png

Cherry manages to move first and sets up a Sunny Day, while Glaceon is kind enough to miss with an Ice Fang. James uses a Knock Off and puts Glaceon roughly down to 1/2 HP, While Lileep confuses James.

Thanks to the sunny weather, both Chlorophyll and Flower Gift activate for some nice little boosts. Now, James is the fasted mon on the field but, unfortunately, hurts himself. Cherry is the next to move and puts Glaceon in red with a Magical Leaf and Glaceon does the same with James after an Ice Fang. Lileep, meanwhile, confuses Cherry.

I use Cherry's turn and heal James with a Super Potion, who in return snapps out of his confusion and finishes Glaceon with another Knock Off. Lileep uses Acid, but hardly deals any damage thanks to Flower Gift.

(Here should be a picture with Espeon, but I forgot to take one).

Anyways, Espeon does not stand a chance to James' Knock Off and Magical Leaf hits Lileep. James is confused again.

capture083mfuey.png

So, James is still the fastest mon on the field and manages to do nothing this turn other than hurting himself. Cherry, meanwhile, uses Leech Seed on Umbreon. Umbreon is the next to attack and uses a Feint Attack on James who he hardly survives, just to be knocked out by an Acid.

(Here should be another pic I forgot. Happened regularly in this post, so sorry for that)

I replace James with Coco, my Wormadam. Cherry is no longer confused and sets up another Sunny Day. Umbreon confuses Coco, who, however, uses a Bug Bite on Umbreon. Lileep tries to confuse Coco too, but is too late for that.

Cherry uses a Magical Leaf on Umbreon, but has to tank a Feint Attack. Coco already snaps out of confusion and finishes Umbreon with a Bug Bite. Lileep confuses Cherry.

Now, a comfortable 2 Vs 1. Nobody hurts himself, so a Magical Leaf and effective HP-Fighting are enough to take out Lileep.

capture08416umh.png

Cherry hurts herself and Coco uses Protect, nullifying a Chatter. At this point I want to prepare a bit against Chatot and want to have a free switch for Rose. However, Cherry disagrees.

Protect fails, Chatter puts Coco in yellow and Cherry hurts herself again.

I now officially label Cherry as suicidal (=hurt herself again) and Coc gets taken out by a Chatter. Rose is sent as replacement

capture08566uwg.png

Cherry tries to use Leech Seed (finally not confused anymore)... to miss WTF. Chatot takes out Cherry with a Chatter, but is paralysed by Rose.

capture086jwu65.png

An attempt to train Sunny. Rose uses a NP-Tri Attack for some damage, while Sunny uses Leech Seed (hint: failure. At this point I feel like biting my Laptop). Luckilyy, Chatot is stunned.

Rose lands another Tri Attack, landing a crit and defeating Chatot finally.

capture08769uam.png

Sunny makes place for Spike while Rose uses a Tri Attack for Chip Damage. Acid Spray is useless against Spike.

capture088jgubr.png

I'm not going to write down every move anymore. Spike uses Bite (ocassional flinch), Rose uses Tri Attack (managing to burn Tangrowth), Acid Spray  won't have any effect on spike. Taka tries to heal Tangrowth, but this does only prolong the fight. After a few turns, we win.

capture0894xue2.png

capture0905fujs.png

Oh well, still won.

Victory in the first attempt and the RNG was overall not as annoying as in the battle against Taka alone. At this point I'm just happy to have picked Chespin over Snivy as a starter.

After the battle, the last PULSE is defeated and we can head on. Both Taka and ZEL manage to flee, while Crobat-guy walks into a police trap. The police, showing some use, unmasks the Meteor offical. It's Corey, the leader of Beryl Ward and the one in charge of this Pulse operation. In addition, he is Heather's father who quickly runs away in rage. Corey still manages to flee and hides in his gym. Now, I could head immediately there, but I do some more training instead until I lose the patience for it.

A bit of levelling later, it's time to head to Corey's gym. As it seems he managed to mind control the different officiers in the building, so that I can get some extra EXP and start to hate Growlithe. A puzzle later, we find Corey and he finally agrees to challenge us. Time for this part's final time.

VS Agent Corey

capture0958huvl.png

Spoiler

capture103avuc6.png

This nicely summarizes parts of the battle. Especially in my first attempt to deal with Crobat.

Note: Each time I'm saying Acid Spray I use Nature Power. I'm not wanting to always write stuff like Nature Power --> Acid Spray. You'll see why.

capture096gpuml.png

A pretty simple battle. Giga Drain activates the Focus Sash while Acid does hardly anything, Corey heals just to faint to another Giga Drain.

capture0974gulv.png

I had luck facing this thing. Its field boosted Incinerate is a pain in the ass, dealing huge damage and basically outspeeding most of my team. Anyways, in this documanted run Skuntank used a Pursuit which James took nicely and started to set up with an Acid Spray. In the second turn he indeed used an Incinerate, but James survived with 6 HP and used a second Acid Spray. I need James as a reserve and thus switch him out. Luckily (and I never thought I'd say this), Skuntank did use Incinerate and not Pursuit.

capture104uduju.png

Deku was a sacrificial lamb for this fight. I trained him a bit, but had no patience for 10 more levels.

(Roselia vs Skuntank, pic unfortunately missing).

Rose finishes the job. An Incinerate temporarily puts him into yellow, but thanks to -4 Sp. Def a Giga Drain takes Skuntank out, leaving only one threat.

(Wormadam vs Croagunk is missing too, sorry!

In my first run, Croagunk used Sucker Punch instead of Venoshock and I hoped he would do so again. Unfortunately, it used Venoshock and defeated Coco; however, I could use a Chocalte Ice Cream on James.

capture1056nuam.png

Let the sweep begin! Now, Croagunk fails a Sucker Punch thanks to Nature Power, before it can move again a Giga Drain finishes Croagunk and allows me to heal.

capture09800uqz.png

(This pic should be from my first attempt and thus the damage. I forgot this in the second run and feel it's better than no pic). Anyways, Rose can use an Acid Spray, Grimer wastes his turn with Acid Armor, and a Giga Drain takes out Grimer.

capture100k7uww.png

You can guess my strategy? Exactly! Acid Spray first, tanking a Bite, and finishing the job with a Giga Drain + healing.

capture101vrupz.png

Now, the mon who swept me in the first try. Rose gets a free turn (Crobat uses Nasty Plot) and paralyses his opponent. Now, Rose can move first and sets up a first Acid Spray, while Crobat is stunned. I prepare for a worst case scenario and set up another Acid Spray (1/2 HP left), but an Air Cutter defeats Rose, ending his sweep.

(Cherrim vs Crobat, I forgot a lot of pics >.<)

Magical Leaf lands a crit and 1/4 is left before an Air Cutter defeats.

(Quilladin vs Crobat, you know the drill)

In retrospect, I should've probably used Bite, but I used Rollout instead. Not as much damage as I hoped (still in red), but Crobat is stunned. I hope to finish the job... but Rollout fails and Venoshock kills.

(Weepinbell vs Crobat, I was lucky to win!)

The reason why I healed James, even though it wouldn't have been necessary. An Acid Spray takes out Crobat. Victory!

Victory in my first try. I pretty much followed the same strategy in my first attempt, but got rid off the flaws in the second attempt. Training a bit more would've made it a bit easier too. Probably the one and only Gym leader with a type advantage I'm going to label as managable before fighting, because I knew Roselia can sweep most of his team. The 5 leaders + Cal/Blake/Bennet should be harder

Before giving us the hard earned badge, he wants to meet us at Beryl Bridge. After leaving the gym, we are greated by an Absol and everybody should know that this is probably no good sign. Upon meeting Corey, he frees his team members, explains his intentions for cooperating with team Meteor, tasks us with protecting Heather against Meteor, and commits suicide. I was pretty surprised during my first run when I saw this. To top things, Fern arrives, laughs about Corey and mocks us for not receiving a badge. To use his words, I'd love to test some survival of the fittest and let my Spike throw him down. Before Fern leaves, though, bombs explode and it might be a good idea to check those, including to check Corey's corpse in Lapis Ward, one of our next destinations.

This finishes the story part of this post, I leave the freshly caught monsters down below.

Spoiler

capture069pruak.png

I guess good IVs in every stat i will use, including the personality. Unfortunately, I'm not sure if it will have a lot of use (other than fighting Shade and, maybe, Terra).

capture079keukn.png

Might be useful against Shelly (early Acrobatics), but might function well as mixed sweeper.

capture091ppu1c.png

I could not say no when seeing this guy after the Taka/Zel battle. I already caught one beforehand, but this one has better IV (other than Speed) and a somewhat not ideal personality as well. Should function as physical Sweeper/Support.

capture092fkuth.png

When I caught this guy, I was convinced that Tangela is a physical attacker. Maybe I'm looking for another one, but I guess whenever I need a physical wall it should come in handy.

For my reserve, I have a Paras, but I'll doubt that it will have any use for this run (I can imaging certain situations it could be useful in, but not really any of those is currently in Reborn).

As you might remember, I announced that I would catch the weather reliant mons now. However, throughout my run the weather did not change once, so I decided to switch back to E15 and caught all 3 of them.

capture093d0up0.png

I always wanted to train this guy, now's the time. The personality isn't ideal, but can be changed later on. The moveset is heavily relying on grass, but let's be honest: Sleep Powder/Quiver Dance/Petal Dance and Giga Drain/Nature Power/whatever is all it needs.

capture1118vkdg.png

A short story: For some reason, I was convinced that I could breed Seed Bomb with Pansage on it (hint: you can't), so I hardly paid much attention on the stats. After I realized it is impossible, though, I lost my willingness to catch another one and decided to change the personality later on (including ability, probably). Maybe I will breed another one later on depending on how much I bonded with this guy, but for now I make do with bullet seed instead of seed bomb.

capture094c8uca.png

Another Shiny! Usually I don't care much about those, but this one has the best IV (including the ability I want). Still in the daycare to passively gain levels and learn Energy Ball. Sidenote: one of my favourite Grass types.

These are all new additions for now. I'll probably catch what's missing before Shelly. I will have to do some training before facing Shelly, so the next update might have to wait a while (for will not contain everything up to Shelly). Until next time~

Good to see that someone else is also doing a grass mono run.Ive recently beaten Shelly in my run (which took me 4 tries thanks to her anorith). I would reccomend that you should try a lombre with hydro pump. It makes easy work of all her pokemon😀

• 2 months later...

*Dusts the topic* Before I continue this Mono run, at first a sorry I suddenly stopped writing! I have, unfortunately, the bad habit of getting inactive from time to time without necessarily saying something and this was the case for me in May. Back then, I started to get busy with university and continously had less time and motivation for Reborn and my run. However, this changed now and I hopefully have enough time to finish this run! Meanwhile, RedAlert started his own Grass Mono Run, so I guess you could've watched another run (after what I've read so far, we both seem to have used other strategies).

Chapter IV: The next Threat

I announced that I will do some training and catching, but let me just tell you EV training is a bit tedious, especially if you realize that you can speed up the game after training 4/6 mons. Farming for the Power Items is a bit tedious early on, too, but a small Pick Up army generates quite a bit of Nuggets, PokeSnax, Blast Powders and other items to sell. Anyways, while training I soon caught another Grass type which should make coverage/resistance a bit easier, even though the typing isn't inherently new for my team.

Spoiler

capture112rvu09.png

This little fellow has, again, anything but an ideal personality, but this is something I'm getting used to in this run and will be changed later on (at some point I'm getting sick of soft resetting x.x). At least his IV are good. My plan is to make him a physical hard hitter who is able to take a few (physical) hits (and maybe I'll switch the small amount of Def EV I put in him with Sp. Def).

Soon after, it's evolution time:

Spoiler

capture113deuri.png

Ren spent quite a bit of time in the day care to learn Energy Ball, but I couldn't bring myself to wait any longer until Hydropump is learnt. Maybe I'll be patient enough once I'm preparing for Shade, but we'll see.

A small note: In between my Julia (Hoppip) evolved once, but I forgot to take a screenshot. I addition, I forgot to learn Acrobatics early on, so she will stay a bit longer not fully evolved than she used to.

With this out of the way, it is time for the story. We are now able to see how the Grand Stairway is damaged and similarly see the ruckus Corey's suicide created. In this ruckus, we meet Shelly, the Bug type gym leader we're about to face, and Victoria. Victoria's plan were to originally get herself a new badge, but ultimately she decided to take care of Shelly, who is a friend of Heather and shocked after seeing what has happened to Corey. Shade takes care of Corey's body and Victoria (hint: she doesn't solve the problem herself) and us can investigate the Stairway incident, which the officials are unable to solve themselves of course.

Compared to the previous parts, this cave is rather enjoyable for a team full of Grass types. Some free exp and item collecting later, we find what's hidden beneath the city. A mysterious man tells us something about Reborn's history and the importance of different gems we will loose and get in the near future. In addition, he hints of his role in Team Meteor and lets us pass to save Victoria. We soon meet Aster and Eclipse who wonder why their boss let us pass and a major battle starts.

VS Meteor Grunts Aster & Eclipse

They still need a banner

Spoiler

capture114lvukm.png

I'll try to give Julia and Ren some exp here, so let's see how this goes. After EV training, I'm able to move first and a four times Bullet Seed on Solrock does some good damage and a full Arm Thrust does the same with Lunatone. A combination of Rock Slide/Tomb put both Pokemon in red and leaves Julia with a total of 1 HP. Instead of healing, I use another Bullet Seed and take Solrock out, however Pignite is unable to take out Lunatone and thus a Rock Slide finishes the two of us.

capture115xcuxj.png

Lunatone is healed, but taken out by Bubble Beam and Brick Break, before a Fire Spin takes 1/4 of Ren's HP.

capture116icukf.png

Shock wave finishes Ren, Flame Burst on Scraggy who burns himself after a Payback.

capture1173luvy.png

Shock Wave takes out Scraggy, Magmar heavily damages Spike who manages to put him in red with a boosted Rollout, but gets burned (ugh) and is defeated afterwards.

capture118umurd.png

Magmar is healed and a Shadow Sneak hardly does anything to Magmar, Hariyama tanks a Low Kick and uses Knock off on Magmar to get burned. I use Shadow Sneak again to get burned, after which both team up on Hariyama, who still fires off a Force Palm.

A Shock Wave takes out Hariyama, while a boosted NP-Power Gem is less effective than hoped. However, Magmar is finally down!

capture11935uqm.png

I switch to Rose and Kirlia tanks a Shock Wave and uses a Psychic afterwards. Electabuzz fires a last Swift off, before a Power Gem and Psychic take it, finally, out.

This battle felt more difficult than it should be, put victory on the first try. I cannot wait until Ren can finally properly handle fire types xD

With Victoria freed, we go back to Shelly, but before progressing towards the gym battle, I decide to do the most natural thing: join a local gang. I decide to join Aqua, as I'm not a really big fan of Magma and after a few battles against Magma grunts...

capture1209cu6m.png

Ultimately, I got a Ponyta I cannot use for this run and a Water Stone I'll use in the near future. Spike gets some Candy to obey me, but the extra resistance against bugs should be helpful.

After the Gang Sidequest is momentarily settled, I visit an orphanage to look for a doctor. In this case, a pretty bad idea and I cannot wait to raid this place. There, me meet some important characters, which all seem to be interesting, especially Anna and Noah because I can never tell if they are controlled by their puppets or not, lol. We face Orderly John who is not too much of a pain, excluding his Magnemite and Magneton as I cannot properly counter Steel types at the moment (hint: they trying to spam Electro Ball on Spike helped). Anyways, before leaving, Anna warns us of the doc and tells us to get help from somebody else and gives a another advice.

With the advice, we manage to cheer Shelly up a bit who then decides to battle us after Victoria decides to wait. However, Victoria decides to battle us, as she wants to spare Shelly and give her more times to rest. Okay, guess I'll take the free EXp then~

VS Apprentice Victoria

capture12153u4q.png

Spoiler

capture122inupx.png

Okay, without Acrobatics a bit tedious, but after a Sleep Powder Scraggy does nothing nothing and slowly goes down to Fairy Wind, even after healing.

capture123isude.png

Okay, a Bubble Beam is almost a one-hit, but a full Arm Thrust does some heavy damage. Ultimately, a second Bubble Beam is enough.

capture124h7usp.png

I want Julia to get the EXP, so Kim is setting up. I use Leech Seed, he luckily Belly Drum. Victoria tries to heal and I do some Chip Damage with Shadow Sneak and LS, but after a second Shadow Sneak a Knock Off destroys Kim.

capture125evumc.png

Sleep Powder gives me the time to defeat it with Leech Seed and Bullet Seed.

capture12672uow.png

Yes, give up. In this fight, I started to do some mistakes. I started with Bullet Seed and Victoria used a Psychic. In my second turn, I should've probably used BS again, but used Sleep Powder just to miss and seeing how a second Psychic destroyed Julia :(

capture127exudf.png

A Energy Ball settles the fight.

So, with Victoria out of the way we can finally head into the Gym and solve a puzzle, gather some EXP and an Evolution Stone. As a result, two mons reach their last Evolution stage.

capture1284yu0g.png

Finally Acrobatics!

capture129rwugy.png

Extra Power, too. Even though the moveset needs some more parts to be really useful.

So, time to face Shelly without any futher ado.

Vs. Bookworm Shelly

capture130f7udc.png

Spoiler

capture1311zunf.png

Because of Masquerain, I start with my special Attackers. Illumise is kind enough to use Rain Dance (never believed I would say this), and Ren halves Masquerains HP with a Bubble Beam and Rose paralyzes Illumise, ultimately Masquerain does a little damage with Icy Wind.

Shelly tries to heal Masquerain, but this is ultimately cancelled by a second Bubble Beam. A Giga Drain halves Illumises HP, too, which is unable to move.Illumise healed, Masquerain taken out, Giga Drain puts Illumise back to half HP.

capture132x8u77.png

Yanmega is sent in, the mon I feared the most. A Bubble Beam on Yanmega deals a lot of damage (roughly 3/4), put an Air Cutter does the same for Ren and medium on Rose. Yanmega is paralyzed and Illumise uses Struggle Bug, which defeats Ren and puts Rose in red.

capture133zcuqq.png

In short: Rose takes Illumise out with a Giga Drain and heals a bit, an Acrobatics does the same with Yanmega

capture134fyuir.png

A Rock Slide defeats Rose, but Julia barely survives and fires an Acrobatics off and heavily damages Anortith. Wormadam's Mirror Shot misses (phew).

capture1357mu3a.png

Shadow Sneak takes out Anorith, critical Acrobatics puts Wormadam in yellow, Psybeam leaves Julia with a few HP (lucky me).

capture136tsucf.png

Kim’s turn used to heal Julia with a Ultra Potion, Acrobatics takes out Wormadam, Struggle Bug for some negligible damage.

With only Volbeat left, an Acrobatics settles the battle.

capture137l0uqg.png

We all know you can be a pain in the ass, so don't worry~

I had to wonder how... easy this battle was (victory on the first try). Acrobatics was amazing in this battle and Ren could deal some mice damage thanks to the rain, even though Hydropump was missing. I guess James/Spike could've been able to handle the rest in case Julia would have been defeated by the Mirror Shot earlier on. Looks like I finally have a mean to counter Bugs outside of Rollout :D

Defeating Shelly gives us finally a third Badge, raises the level Cap to 40 and gives us a TM I can barely use, I guess. However, it unlocks something else, too.

capture138aiu36.png

So, I guess it's time to leave it with this for today. I hope the extra power for Kim helps me to deal with Shade. Until next time~

Here we go, Part number 5 ahead.

Chapter V: It's Time to Raid

So, while we defeated Shelly in the previous part, we are now tasked to talk with Ame about the whole Corey incident and learn who the new Poison Leader is. However, before doing this I trained and levelled a seventh member and added her to the roster: Shelly. She'll make the battles of this part a bit easier, believe me.

capture139drruh.png

Upon visiting Ame, we meet everyones darling Fern who again pisses everybody off. All of you can probably guess what it means to meet this guy. Yes, time to beat him up!

VS Swag Jockey Fern

capture140uwp0q.png

Spoiler

capture141taryt.png

I don't have any real means to counter this thing yet (or none I thougt of), so James has to do the work. A critical Knock Off gets rid off his Leftovers and a Gyro Ball is surprisingly powerful. Two Knock Offs and a healing later this guy is defeated.

capture142ujrae.png

An Acrobatics alsmost defeats his Roserade, but an HP does quite some damage. While Roserade is healed, I switch.

capture143vmok6.png

Not a good idea. I want to test Shelly in a real battle, but an HP takes her out before she can do anything. So I have to rely on Julia's Acrobatics to finish it off.

capture144uvoiz.png

Two Seed Bombs defeat Ludicolo and a Zen Headbutt in between does negligible damage.

capture145uvpfg.png

You too.

I skip this part as it is simply terrible. I thought Spike's Rollout could handle it somehow, but I was wrong. Let's just say a few Leaf Tornados lowered my accuracy and made Rollout miss most of the time, Glare hindered half of my moves and Mean Look prevented me from switching (note: not that I wanted to switch anyway, as I'm not a huge fan of it when I don't need to, but man did Servine need his time to defeat Spike).

capture1468ao80.png

You can guess I this ends? Acrobatics is almost a OHKO, but Servine had to use Glare. Of course, I couldn't move in my second turn and had to tank two Leaf Tornados before a final Acrobatics finally defeated this guy.

capture14742oor.png

Stop crying.

Urgh, I made this battle harder than it should be. Than again, I felt that an Acrobatics sweep would be too easy and some other mons needed EXP. Anyways, after lossing Fern is kind enough to enlighten us a bit. As we need a key to acces the wasteland-who's-name-I'm-not-going-to-write, Fern tells us who we need to meet: a certain man we all know, Cain. Of course Fern has to bitch a bit us knowing such a person, but please, Fern, just shut the fuck up, would you?

So, on towards Beryl Cemetry to meet Cain. As he says, he wants to look after Heather after hearing about all the Corey ruckus and thinks it is a bad idea for us to visit Aya, both his sister and new Poison Leader. He agrees to give us the key upon defeating him liar so we start to battle him. Even though it might be a bit impious on a Cemetry.

VS Pretty Boy Cain

capture1484iolj.png

Spoiler

capture149ohrjr.png

Shelly gets to do a bit more in this fight! She sets up a layer of Sticky Web while Dewott uses a Revenge. A critical  Razor Leaf leaves 1 HP (duh) and Shelly takes another Revenge. Cain uses his first Super Potion, but Dewott goes down nonetheless to a final Razor Leaf.

capture150cep8m.png

Thanks to Sticky Web, I'm faster than his entire team. However, Rollout needs to miss, so Spike has to tank a Psybeam (which roughly takes 1/3 HP). Two turns later, Rollout takes out Venomoth, which still lands a final Psybeam.

Nidoking is sent and I use have to test my luck with Ren. A Bubble Beam halves the HP, but a Poison Tail is a OHKO. (Screenshot is missing, sorry)

capture151m3ot9.png

James takes over. A Knock Off almost defeats Nidoking which does more than half HP damge with a Thrash, just to be defeated by a Vine Whip.

capture152y1ps0.png

Cain and his double meanings.

Anyways, time to spread EXP a bit more. I start with a Nature Power-->Rock Slide and roughly half Grimer's HP, who uses Minimize. You can now probably guess that my second Rock Slide misses and he continues with a Sludge Bomb, which has to poison me. I want to try my luck with a Shadow Sneak, but Grimer is healed before I can finish it off. Before it can do something else, though, a Rock Slide defeats this guy.

Looks like I forgot his final words. Whoops

So, after defeating Cain, he of course does not give us the key and suddenly Heather appears. The two have a little Chat before both head to Shelly. We hurry to follow them, the two continue to debate in Shelly's room and after Heather has the feeling that everybody teamed up on her, she flees just to get captured by Dr. Geezer. Great.

Everybody soon agrees to save Heather, so we do the most natural thing: raid an orphanage. As you might guess from this Chapter's title, I actually like this part. I mostly enjoy being partnered with a NPC, especially when I can easily use this method to level my team, which I used this passage for. I guess everybody who reads this has played through this passage, so let's just say we freed some kids and battled some Orderlies. We now officially turned into outlaws, but can still travers the City without any difficulties. maybe I should worry about the protagonist? First joining a local gang, than robbing a sinister old lady, and now freeing some kids. Looks like we can do everything we want as long as we beat Team Meteor.

After everyone escaped, we soon realize how the group cannot continue their escape plans through the Underground Railnet, so we are tasked to solve this problem and gather another Badge. Of course, we do as we are told and heed to a Power Plant. After seeing how 4 people are killed (this scene was pretty creepy when I saw it the first time), we can battle Shade.

VS Entity Shade

capture1533isvz.png

Spoiler

capture154i7sa2.png

I start with a Sticky Web to give myself a momentum over 4 of his 5 remaining mons and Corey (the second instance Shade made me freak out the first time) uses a Shadow Claw, almost halving my HP. A Leaf Blade takes 1/3 HP, while a Thunderbolt deals much less damage. Finally, a critical Leaf Blade takes out Corey. Never thought Shelly would win xD

capture155oesm3.png

Banette manages a  Shadow Sneak, before a Knock Off is a OHKO.

capture1560esws.png

Doublade, the one I feared most simply because of his good Defense. A Knock Out halves, while a Gyro Ball only takes !/4.

Shade retrieves Doublade and replaces him with Trevenant, who cannot take a Knock off fairly well...

capture157pgsla.png

capture158wtsn0.png

I give Kim a chance. A Shadow Sneak leaves a few HP and Doublade uses a Sword Dance. I'm unable to take Doublade out with another Shadow Sneak, as Doublade is healed with an Ultra Potion. Before going down to a Shadow Claw, Kim still lands a final Shadow Sneak.

capture159wrsyc.png

Time for my physical wall to finish the job. In short: Doublade is healed a last time while I use Leech Seed. Afterwards, I switch between Spiky Shield and Seed Bomb until Doublade is slowly defeated.

capture160igs2g.png

At this point, I want to test Rotom's speed (the only mon not affected by Sticky Web other than Gengar). Shelly is faster and a Leaf Blade takes 2/3, but a Discharge takes her out (and changes the field).

capture161mqsc3.png

As my James (Victreebell) is slower than Shelly, I switch to Julia. A Bullet Seed defeats Rotom.

capture162ycsvz.png

He can guess what awaits him?

Chandelure cannot move first, so a Bubble Beam almost does a OHKO, but a few HP are left. A Flame Burst leaves 25 HP, and the Sitrus Berry did not recover enough to survive a second Bubble Beam.

capture1639lsjw.png

Okay?

With this out of the way, we obtain our fourth Badge, raise our Level Cap to 45 and we get the TM for Shadow Claw, which I'm still debating who to use on. After our victory, Shade shows us how Team Meteor abducts the group of Gym Leader friends in the name of Dr. Geezer. Great to see how a group of Gym Leaders is captured by some Grunts. Cain manages to flee, which ends this part.

Before posting the next Chapter, I'm going to get myself a Nuzleaf, Tropius and I'm (probably) trying to get myself a Cacnea. Oh, and train myself a Vileplum. Finally, I'm so not looking forward to battle Cal xD

I leave an update of my team members here, too, in case somebody is interested. Until next time~

Spoiler

chesnaught.gif

Spike the Chesnaught, lvl 37

Bulletproof

DV: 252 HP/51 Atk/136 Def/12 Sp. Atk/20 Sp. Def/39 Int (I really need the berries :D)

-Spiky Shield

-Leech Seed

-Seed Bomb

-Rollout

Pok%C3%A9monsprite_542_Schillernd_XY.gif

Shelly the (Shiny) Leavanny, lvl 38

Chlorophyll (@ Rose Incense)

DV: 252 Atk/252 Int/4 Sp Def

-Sticky Web

-Bug Bite (will soon be X-Scissor)

-Leaf Blade

-Fell Stinger (debating to replace it with Shadow Claw or Sword Dance later on)

Pok%C3%A9monsprite_071_XY.gif

James the Victreebel, lvl 38

Chlorophyll (@ Black Sludge)

DV: 5 HP/223 Atk/8 Def/12 Sp Atk/10 Sp Def/252 Int (Berries, I need you xD)

-Vine Whip (soon Leaf Blade)

-Cut (soon Leaf Storm)

-Knock Off

-Nature Power

Pok%C3%A9monsprite_711_XY.gif

Kim the Gourgeist, lvl 38

Pickup

DV: 200 HP/252 Atk/58 Def

-Nature Power

-Shadow Sneak

-Leech Seed

-Bullet Seed

Pok%C3%A9monsprite_271_Schillernd_XY.gif

Ren the (Shiny) Lombre, lvl 38

Swift Swim (@Sea Incense)

DV: 252 Sp. Atk/252 Int/4 HP

-Nature Power

-Rain Dance

-Energy Ball

-Bubble Beam (soon Hydropump, until Surf is available, probably)

Pok%C3%A9monsprite_189_XY.gif

Julia the Jumpluff, lvl 38

Leaf Guard (will most likely be sooner or later changed)

DV: 252 Atk/252 Int/4 HP

-Acrobatics

-Fairy Wind (will be replaced by U-turn)

-Sleep Powder

-Bullet Seed

Pok%C3%A9monsprite_315_XY.gif

Rose the Roselia, lvl 36

Leaf Guard (will be changed some time)

DV: 16 HP/29 Atk/8 Def/193 Sp Atk/12 Sp Def/252 Int (problems of joining early)

-Giga Drain

-Toxic Spikes

-Stun Spore

-Nature Power

Note: most of those were basically chosen based on IV, so most of the natures aren't yet ideal.

With the next gym battle out of the way, it is time for another update.

Chapter VI: Inner Strength

Previously, we defeated Shade and watched how our group of friends got abducted. Cain managed to flee and on our way to search him, we found Victoria who informs us that Cain wishes to solve the problem himself. She tells us that he went to Coral Ward, so off we go. Meeting him results in nothing, other than starting a fairly long chasing quest. Cain states his plan to visit Apophyll Academy and surfes there on his Muk well, didn't know that's possible.

While we head back, we meet Amaria again who apparently found the source of the Lake's pollution and asks us for our help. As we have nothing else to do right now, we gladly agree and off we go, again. In front of the Blacksteem Factory (if I'm not mixing names), Amaria greates an entry, letting her Lapras use a combination of Waterfall and Ice Beam, creating a staircase. Upon entering the factory, it's time to raid Meteor! The two grunts who greet us get absolutely demolished by Amaria's lvl 80 Lapras, so I take the free EXP to train a weaker mon. With an adjusted team, we start to explore the Meteor base and after Amaria shows some more of her badassness, we aren't as badass and get jailed.

After breaking free and saving a Ditto, we fight our way through the rest of the factory until we finally meet ZEL and Mr. ? from below the Staircase. He again informs us of our plans to hurt Reborn City and while our protagonist is distracted by the Pulse Machine, he tries to let his Garchomp kill us. Luckily, Amaria arrives just in time to sniper it with her Kingdra. Afterwards, she battles Solaris while ZEL take us on.

VS Meteor Admin ZEL

capture164ocswq.png

Spoiler

Okay, the first battle is between his Glaceon and my Spike (Chesnaught), but I forgot to take a Screenshot. Sorry!

I start the fight with some sort of typo and accidently use Spiky Shield and nullify the incoming Ice Shard. Glaceon uses it again for some minimal damage, while a Rock Smash (I replaced it with Rollout, which started to miss all the time and thus got on my nerves) barely leaves Glaceon in the green and lowers defense. Afterwards, Spike outspeeds (whether with or without Quick Claw, I don't know) and finishes the first Eevelution with another Rock Smash.

capture165yaso0.png

A picture, woohoo! You can guess what a X-Scissor is able to do?

capture166hfs2d.png

Now, I use my obligatory Sticky Web after taking a Quick Attack. Now, an exchange of X-Scissor, Leaf Blade, Fell Stinger and hurting myself on my side, and an exchange of Confuse Ray, Feint Attack and using the Ultra Potions on ZEL's side ultimately defeat Shelly.  This damn confusion got pretty much on my nerves here. Without it, Umbreon would go down easily.

capture167v9spt.png

Rock Smash'd.

capture169mwsdk.png

I seed Muk in case I need to outstall him, but a Sludge Wave takes out Spike.

capture170u2sto.png

James finishes the job. In hope of some extra damage I rely on Knock Off and Muk uses Discharge- both moves aren't really effective and James can recover quite a bit through Leech Seed and Black Sludge. Another turn with the same moves and better damage for me (for James landed a critical) make me try Nature Power-Gear Grind in my third turn, which defeats Muk.

capture171ors95.png

Well, good for me you are so weak?

With ZEL out of the way, Solaris has enough and ends the situation after he sees how Amaria owns a Saphire Bracelet (remember what he said below the Staircase?). He lets his Tyranitor use Super Power... on Amaria. She takes it, Meteor retreats, and Amaria says she'll be taking a break. I would probably go visit a doctor, but this may be only me, though. Before we depart Amaria gives us the key to her boat, so we are free to visit Apophyll Beach, so off we go again! I do like Amaria, but sadly it'll take us some time until we meet her again.

Anyways, while doing some training in the Grandhal, battling the trainers on Apophyll Beach and in the Academy, I slowly get sick of battling trainers with Pokemon around level 35 while my team is around 40. After a while, I'm getting sick of it and in order to save myself some free time, I bought some Rare Candies which results in the following two evolutions!

capture1720rstj.png

Jessie is back in the team! While I decided to try her as a special wall with a slight investment in Sp. Atk, we'll see how useful this role will be (I wanted something that's able to take a few special attacks and I thought Vileplume would be a possible solution, giving her synergy with Black Sludge). Her current moveset is Giga Drain/Moonblast/Toxic/Grassy Terrain, but I might get rid off one of the last two moves.

capture173yos74.png

Ren finally learned Hydropump, so I can evolve her without regret until Surf is available xD

Some Common Candies later, I can progress with the plot. We soon meet Kiki, the academy's Sensei and current Fighting Gym leader, who understands our situation after Victoria explains it to her (I really wonder how she got here). However, she cannot simply give us the HM we need, of course, so the chase continous. We shall now fight a new student on top of Pyrous Mountain, so off we go again. Thanks to a nice Pick Up-storage of Repels, climbing the mountain was no pain. However, upon  meeting Cal, Reborn's Ex-Fire leader, I was relunctant to start the battle, as he was orginally the leader I feared the most.

VS Ex-Leader Cal

capture174nks78.png

Spoiler

capture175vusgy.png

Mental warfare not working :3 Cal regretted hurting Shelly, but has no regrets annihilating my Shelly with a Flame Wheel after she sets up a Sticky Web.

capture176pas3u.png

capture177ors4r.png

Those two battles in one word: Acrobatics. Typholosion survived one, but a weakend HP doesn't deal that much damage and healing is in vain.

capture178s4sto.png

I cannot really counter Charizard (outside of Ren using Hydropump), so I decide to stall with Spike. For some reason, he starts with a Dragon Claw for minimal damage and let's me set up freely with Leech Sed. Afterwards, switching between Spiky Shield and Rock Smash slowly defeats it, and healing isn't helping! (Sidenote: Wing Attack, 4x effective, only dealt 1/2 HP damage, so I guess EV-Training paid off)

capture1792sscq.png

Knock Off is an OHKO.

capture180gzspx.png

*cough* Acrobatics *cough*

capture181iks3r.png

Really? This feels satisfying

Anyways, I put Magmortar to sleep to have a free switch.

capture182pts5m.png

Spike can freely set up Leech Seed (in case I need to stall again), before going down to Lava Plume, changing the field (lucky me).

capture183wuszp.png

Hydropump, now not reduced in effectiveness, is an OHKO.

capture184dsu2n.png

Yes?

Gosh, this battle was easier than I ever thought it would be (again, victory on the first try). Maybe I should battle more often with type disadvantage. In this run, I felt like these battles were the most easiest ones. However, it could have helped that I EV trained my team, something I hardly ever do when playing Pokemon... With Cal out of the way, there are only a few battles left which I fear (and, surprisingly, Serra is none of those).

So, upon heading back to the Academy, we see how Kiki is getting weaker and weaker. However, as she does approves of our victory, she agrees to battle us in an official Gym battle before handing us over the HM for Strength. Victoria is worried, as usual, and does not want us to battle her Sensei. Seems we have to get rid off her first.

VS Apprentice Victoria

capture185k8uet.png

Spoiler

capture186uautv.png

Obligatory Sticky Web in-coming, followed by Payback. X-Scissor used which deals less damage than I had hoped, Payback used again. Shelly than takes Scraggy out with a Leaf Blade.

capture1877supr.png

Hydropump is more than enough.

capture188f4u9m.png

Acrobatics is a clear OHKO. Poor thing

capture1897nuia.png

Time to give her a chance, shall we? A Moonblast takes roughly 2/3 of Hariyama's HP, but a Knock off gets rid off my Black Sludge. Before I can attack again...

capture1902vu6n.png

...she switches to Gallade, which takes the Giga Drain. Gallade is faster and tries to set up with Sword Dance, but Moonblast, landing a critical hit, utterly destroy it.

capture191qrudv.png

I'll make it quick?

Anyways, I anticipate she would behealing and tried to use Leech Seed- which missed- and Vicky instead relied on Knock Off. Trying my luck, I attack with Shadow Sneak, just to realize that she is NOW healing, God damnit xD I continue with Shadow Sneak, which makes Belly Drum fail. After another exchange of Shadow Sneak and Knock Off, both are in critical range. For some extra fire power, I switch to Bullet Seed and Victoria prolongs the fight with her final healing. A last Bullet Seed is enough to defeat her, though.

I forgot her last words, too, whoops.

Anyways, with Victoria out of the way, we can now challenge Kiki. Of course, Victoria has to remind us of taking care and so on. I'm already having remorse battling an ill woman, thanks for reminding me, but somebody has to save the children, you know? So on we go.

VS Sensei Kiki

capture192p8u8r.png

Spoiler

capture1931gucw.png

Maybe I should rename Shelly to sacrificial lamb? Anyways, while I set up with Sticky Web, Machamp uses Rock Slide (spoiler: this move will piss me off a lot). Before going down to a second Rock Slide, I half the opponents HP with a Leaf Blade (note: I'm usually not a big fan of switching in battle, as you might've guessed so far xD).

capture194crujr.png

Remember what I set about RS? Yes, I flinch. The next turn, Machamp is healed and I use Grassy Terrain for some extra healing/power. A critical RS makes me flinch again and Machamp continues with RS until a Giga Drain FINALLY hits and restores a good amount of health. Machamp lands a last RS, until Giga Drain takes it out.

capture195nru6z.png

You could guess that switching in a Psychic Mon would made her use a Psychic move, but why should she if RS makes me flinch? With the field back to normal, a RS misses and Jessie is able to half HP with a Moonblast. As much luck as I had so far, the next RS makes me flinch AGAIN. After seeing the last RS in this battle, Gallade is taken out by a Moonblast. (Black Sludge, Grassy Terrain and the Giga Drains restored quite a few HP; otherwise, these two battles would've been more of a pain)

capture196p9u85.png

May the sweep begin. A Hydropump leaves 1/3 HP and Calm Mind isn't helping enough to survive my second Hydropump.

capture197jzuv3.png

You can guess how this one ends? (hint: Acrobatics)

capture198tlufk.png

The first time ever I battled Kiki, this thing was a pain in the ass. As a result, I do not allow it to set up with Fake Out and do it myself with a NP-Medidate, after tanking a Knock Off (not too effective without holding an item and having quite a bit of HP and Def). A Shadow Sneak barely allows Hitmonlee to survive, while it does try to set up as well with Medidate. After Kiki tries to heal him, another Shadow Sneak puts him down to the exact same amount of HP. Before he can to anything else, a last Shadow Sneak finishes him off.

capture1993hu4j.png

I cannot but to read this as some form of hint of what's coming...

With a +3 in Atk, an effective Shadow Sneak is enough to OHKO.

capture200xgueq.png

Another hint for me.

Outside of too many Rock Slide flinches, I had no problems with this battle- victory in my first try. Before giving us anything for out hard-earned victory, Kiki passes out and is brought into her chamber. There, she declares that she is dying and wants to be left alone. Victoria slowly starts to understand the situation her Sensei is in and guards her door, while we are sent to look for Cain- who never reached the Island. We all no what this means, right? Howver, this has to wait a bit.

I said I would catch up with mons, so here we go.

capture20121uxy.png

If I decide to use Shiftry in my run, I'm not so sure whether to run a physical, special or mixed set. This guy has Foul Play as Egg Move, so I might to something mixed unless I'm breeding myself a new one (similarly, I'm still debating if I should breed myself a Budew with Extrasensory, even though I know Roserade can be pretty amazing without it, as I know from my main file).

capture202hmutl.png

Dragon Dance as Egg Move. If I feel like running DD, I'll probably have to do some breeding to beging with, so we'll see if I'll be using a Tropius or not.

Now, until next time~

Okay, before going into the next Chapter, a short disclaimer first: this Chapter will be divided into two parts, one dealing with the events up to Solaris and the second documanting the events up to Aya.

Chapter VII: Of Slaying Dragons and Curing Poison

So, after defeating Kiki, we are now tasked to save Cain. However, he can still enjoy the presence of Taka for a while, I have some training, breeding and catching to do first~

Azurine Island offers three new mon, and while Chikorita has to wait a tad bit longer, I can catch a Foongus right away, even though I have no idea what I should make out of it. The last is Exeggcute, which I soon caught and which will probably need some more breeding (I already have one with Giga Drain, but think about giving it Ancient Power as well, still debating).

In addition, Azurine Island allows myself to unlock one of my favourite Grass Types, so here we go:

Spoiler

capture204tmuc1.png

Rose joins the club again!

Anyways, with those little updates out of the way, it's time to talk about the sweeps battles ahead. Upon finding a suspisious looking house, we of course enter it to find our best Meteor friends Aster and Eclipse. Today, they are extra confident and self-assured, fore we are missing a partner, and cannot wait to beat our ass as if.

VS Aster & Eclipse

Spoiler

capture205ydu4l.png

My turn is pretty simple: laying Sticky Web and taking Lunatone out with an Energy Ball. Solrock uses Rock Slide, which only deals okayish damage (even against Shelly).

capture206ijuda.png

A Leaf Blade takes out Solrock and a Hydropump Magmar.

capture207t3uwm.png

Now, I team up with Leaf Blade and Energy Ball to take out Electabuzz (it feels so good to outspeed it thanks to Sticky Web xD), but Rhydon is succesfull in destroying Shelly with two Rock Blast hits :(

capture208cmura.png

I remember how Milotic can be a pain in the ass, so I paralyze it with Rose. Ren, meanwhile, takes out Phydon with an Energy Ball. Milotic does land a critical Hydropump, but Rose is still left in the green.

capture209e4upv.png

Now, a Giga Drain and Energy Ball easily finish Milotic.

Their words (missed it again, damn it xD): ...again?

All in all, a pretty smooth battle. Guess Sticky Web helps a lot. After the two leave and say us that Cain is hidden somewhere in this building (thanks), we move the furniture a bit just to find a hidden passage.

Following the passage after healing our team, we meet Taka. While he can be a pretty nice guy, he is, unfortunately, on the wrong side and in our way. We find Cain, too, put in jail, the perfect damsel in distress. I guess Angela Carter might be proud of this scene

Anyways, after Taka explains how Team Meteor plans to blow up Pyrous Mountain with the help of a Pulse!Camerupt, we of course stop him.

VS Meteor Admin Taka

capture210gjuxl.png

Spoiler

capture211jwukq.png

I am unable to quickly dispose of his Klefki, so I start with an Hydro Pump, putting Klefki into critical HP, which beforehand set up Spikes. As Taka heals, another Hydro Pump does exactly the same damage again. I am kind enough to let him heal a third time and set up rain. Klefki proceeds to lay a second layer of Spikes, just to be completely destroyed by a third Hydro Pump.

capture212k3uc6.png

Ren is faster and a Hydro Pump effective.

capture213k5uvs.png

The rain allows me to outspeed Chatot (feels good) and send him into oblivion with my last Hydro Pump.

capture214x8urq.png

Your Cradlly isn't as threatening as your Chatot, please.

Anyways, Cradily prolongs the fight a bit longer. An Energy Ball doesn't deal much damage, as an Ancient Power doesn't. I try a field boosted Nature Power-Gear Grind, which is more than enough to win.

capture215o6uxl.png

Doesn't sound like you were trying at all.

Anyways, This fight turned out to be a pain in the ass. In my first try, I wasn't using Rain (so no idea if Ren would still outspeed Chatot), but her Hydro Pump missed Gligar anyways, allowing it to sweep 4 of my 6 mons; the last two were than taken out by Chatot. In my second try I started to use rain, but reset after a Hydro Pump missed out of frustration (again, against Gligar). What you saw above was my third try and the sweep felt good xD

So, after Cain is freed, we immediately head to Apophyll Academy after doing some shopping.

In the Academy, Kiki, Victoria, Cain and we made a battle plan and, of course, Cain and we are tasked to save the day. Upon entering Pyrous Mountain, though, Vicky does join us, so I guess that is a good thing? Probably, as having 2 underlevelled Mons in your team to beat Solaris doesn't help very much against trainers filled with Fire Types. Anyways, we finally reach the Mountain Top (Side Note: it's raining, the first time the weather changed in my run so far, wished it happened against Cal :3) and see how Cain already lost. So it is up to Vicky and us to settle things. Victoria takes on Taka, we shall beat Solaris, who is arrogant enough to use only one team member, which he'll soon regret. (SPOILER: no moves like Perish Song etc. used).

VS Meteor Leader Solaris

capture216peun2.png

Spoiler

capture217q6u5h.png

Rose is carrying a Quick Claw, so I have to reset some times until either one of Garchomp's attacks misses or my QC activates and allows myself to paralyze it. I even gain a second turn to do some Chip Damage with Giga Drain.

capture218ppufr.png

Now, James has to get rid off the pesky Leftovers to fasten the pace in which Garchomp will start dying in a second.

capture219s0uim.png

Remember Deku, the Pokemon out of my Mystery Egg? Well, Garchomp misses an attack (looks like he is still faster xD), which allows me to set up Curse. Afterwards, Garchomp is healed and as I thus gained one more turn, I set up Leech Seed, too. Now, Garchomp conveniently losses 3/8 of its HP each turn, if I'm not mistaken. Garchomp misses enough attacks to pick on him with a few Feint Attacks, until he used all of his Potions and ultimately manages to hit my Deku. Which brings me to another old friend...

capture220pgukx.png

...Brocooli! I had to be somewhat cruel with her. First, I trained her up to lvl 37, just to derank her back to level 1. Ain't I'm a bad boy, sending her immediately against a fearsome Dragon? However, I'm kind enough to give her my Focus Sash- and Broccoli learns Recycle at lvl 37. Broccoli has to survive one Earthquake thanks to the Focus Sash and is able to regain it in the mean time. Finally, Curse and Leech Seed damage is enough to finish Garchomp, while the Leech Seed healing puts her at full health (per turn, I'm roughly gaining 40 HP, as I realized while Deku was still alive). As a sweet Reward, Broccoli is now at level 30 again!

capture221k8uuw.png

Yes, pride will have a fall.

I pretty much rememberred a few days ago I once told @Jess how he could have legitimately defeated Garchomp with a Leech Seed!Paras and Sturdy!Pineco and realized how you can transfer the concept to Grass Mons, too. Grass needs some more mons (10 AP in Recycle aren't really enough, even if you could manage to raise it to 16), so I had to be a bit creative. In the end, defeating Solaris without Destiny Bond etc. feels good! As a reference, I also had Julia (Jumpluff) and Spike (Chesnaught) in my team, who maybe could've given me a few extra turns (with Sleep Powder and Spiky Shield respectively).

Anyways, Kiki arrives and wants to end the situation. She commands her Medicham to destroy the Pulse machine. However, Cal starts to act and lets his Magmortar catch Kiki's ace... just to throw it into the magma. As if this is not enough, Solaris commands his Garchomp to kill Kiki, as she "wouldn't survive the heat to begin with". I don't have to tell you how shocked I was when I first saw this, right? As if Cal regrets what he has done, he destroys the Camerupt, though, after Solaris enfuriates him. Yay?

Of course, Cal is sorry, but Victoria is pretty much pissed. After she sents Cal to away, the three of us go back. Victoria declares that she will be running the Academy in Kiki's place, as was her Sensei's plan to begin with. Even though she cannot give us a badge, we at least gain the HM for Strength and Cain (finally!!!) agrees to open the door to the Wastelands.

With this, the first part of this Chapter will end, and the fights up to Aya will follow in a while, for I still need to train one or two new mons. In addition, I'm debating of renaming Broccoli to Dragonslayer (I will at least use her again in an actual battle. Maybe for Acrobatics-spamming against Samson? We'll see). Until next time~

2 hours ago, Neco said:

I pretty much rememberred a few days ago I once told @Jess how he could have legitimately defeated Garchomp with a Leech Seed!Paras and Sturdy!Pineco and realized how you can transfer the concept to Grass Mons, too.

Indeed, I could've done that in my Bug mono. Or, I could just breed Counter on a Paras from a Breloom and OHKO it with that, after investing 252 EVs in HP ;) 

Good job with the Recycle strategy! Quite clever!

Ohhh this is absolutely glorious, I'm loving shiny Ludicolo and shiny Leavanny!

And the recycle strategy was great, wouldn't have one up with it myself. Garchomp just tore my grass mono run team to pieces with Dragon Rush :D

Yes, I Love those two as well. And I am somebody who usually hardly cares about shinies (in the main games many look just terrible imo).

As many weaknesses as they might have, Grass is a pretty versatile type!

Time to continue. After slaying a Dragon and solving the problems at Apophyl, we can now meet up with Cain. Of course, opening a fucking door is too difficult, so we have to fight him first. Oh well, time to test my newest team member:

Spoiler

capture22326aov.png

Did I mention I'm bad with names? Anyways, some breeding and training later, he's ready to use. I gave him Giga Drain and Ancient Power via breeding, Extrasensory and Stun Spore (due to lacking ideas) as his other moves.

Okay, now the battle.

VS Pretty Boy Cain

capture2246xztm.png

Spoiler

capture225e0ael.png

As I said, I felt like testing Omelette. Not only him, but also the effectiveness of both Harvest and type-berries. Venomoth could use a super effective Signal Beam, but for whatever reason tries a pitiful Psybeam, allowing me to take him out with an Extrasensory.

capture226wtx7e.png

Samurott shouldn't be too difficult, right? Right. A Giga Drain leaves him with a freaking pixel of health, but a Night Slash doesn'st put Omelette in yellow. Cain tries to heal, but is taken out by a Giga Drain anyways.

capture227xmbah.png

Nidoking can be a threat, but countering got way easier (sidenote: remember the rain I talked about above? Became a Thunderstorm before fighting Cain, so Ren could easily outspeed everything Cain throws at me). Oh, still a fight to deal with :3

A Shadow Ball leaves Omelette with a few HP, who in return manages to put Nidoking into critical range as well with an Extrasensory. Cain tries to heal, but has to see how Nidoking is defeated.

capture228oczjc.png

There's no way Omelette can survive this, so Kim gets some action. A Shadow Sneak halves Haunter's HP while a Shadow Ball takes roughly 2/3, but a second Shadow Sneak easily takes out Haunter.

capture229kmbd1.png

You're going to open this fucking door, okay? Thanks.

I try to push my luck here a bit. An Extrasensory leaves Muk with more than enough HP, but a Sludge Bomb is more than enough to defeat Omelette, naturally.

capture230ekzx3.png

So it's up to Rose to finish the job. Rose needs two Tri Attacks to finish this off, though, while easily tanking a Sludge Bomb. Turned out I slightly underestimated Muk's Special Defense :>

capture231kbzcg.png

Would you now?

Nothing too difficult, even though you could've probably played better. I felt no urgue to redo the battle, so on we go.

Walking through the Byxbisan Wasteland (if I remember its name correctly) isn't as hard for me as it once was now, so we relatively quickly reach the Hideout. There, we experience how Fern managed to win against Aya. Afterwards, he tells us how it is a good idea to stop using a mono-grass team to beat a Poison Leader. Fern, you made my day! You are going to watch the next Gym Battle, right? So please take some notes and learn how Hana handles Aya's team. I'm sure a looser like you has still much to learn, to rephrase his words.

He is kind enough to offer us at least one good battle, so that our way through the Wasteland wasn't done in vain. Go fuck off, please. Hardy, Reborn's Rock Leader, arrives and picks on Fern. I already like him for that. So, on we go, fighting Fern and showing him who's the better Grass Type Specialist.

VS Swag Jockey Fern

capture232p9ls7.png

Spoiler

capture234bczum.png

I cannot stop telling how much I hate fighting this thing without any real counters. No fire type moves in my possesion and only Rock Smash as a Fighting type move, so good old Knock Off should at least get rid off the Leftovers, while Fern uses Pin Missile (luckily, only 2 hits). James uses another Knock Off, Fern relies on Gyro Ball. Afterwards, Fern heals Ferrothorn, which is partly undone by another Knock Off. By now, James is pretty low on HP, manages to land a last Knock Off before going down to Gyro Ball (Iron Barbs is a pain in the ass for this Encounter, but Black Sludge can partly cancel out the passive damage).

capture235fflfi.png

A critical X-Scissor takes out Ferrothorn. It can be so easy >.<

capture2369uzoh.png

The unthinkable happens: Fern has something that is able to barely survive an Acrobatics! Scyther counter with a Wing Attack and puts Julia down to 1/3. Fern tries to heal, but is Acrobaticsed anyways. Maybe I have to start using Gems

capture23768ypb.png

I forgot about Intimidate, but a critical Leaf Blade is an easy OHKO.

capture2389fbyx.png

Time for a new counter! Roserade tries a pitiful Extrasensory, just to realize how a real Extrasensory should look like. He tries to use an HP-Fire, which does take quite an amount of health, but is used too late- Roserade is taken out after a second Extrasensory, Omelette still having 1/3 HP.

capture239smx21.png

Keep telling you your lies.

In case it has something to catch me off guard, I play a bit passively. Currently, Serperior is faster and uses a pitiful Giga Drain, which takes some 10 HP or so (I guess his picking on me?), while I set up a layer of Sticky Webs to lower his speed at the end of the turn thanks to the Field.

Afterwards, an X-Scissor does some good chunk of damage, while Fern tries to Glare in vain. Giga Drain doesn't deal any extra damage in the third turn, paralyzis isn't working and Fern has to watch as Shelly sends his mon into oblivion with another X-Scissor.

capture240ddawy.png

Hahaha, don't make me laugh. Later, looser.

Nothing too difficult, I guess. I really have to check if some of my special attackers have HP-Fire the next time I meet his God damn Ferrothorn...

Anyways, people keep on picking on Fern, while we ultimately face Aya. Let's cover the fight without further ado!

VS Punk Aya

capture2410caoh.png

Spoiler

capture242vyaed.png

Shelly moves first and leaves Tentacruel only a pixel of HP after Leaf Blade, while Ren conveniently one-shots Nidoqueen with an Hydropump. Tentacruel uses Toxic Spikes, which I didn't perceive as very threatening throughout my fight.

capture243wkura.png

This part isn't as easy as I hoped. Tentacruel is healed and Gengar takes out Shelly with a Sludge Bomb. Meanwhile, Ren fires off another Hydro Pump, which is sadly not enough to take out Gengar.

capture244fkuex.png

I'm sure Aya will heal Gegnar, which she does. A Shadow Sneak halves its HP, while Ren's Energy Ball almost does the same with Tentacruel, which uses a Muddy Water and lowers Ren's accuracy.

Now, Gegnar is taken out with a second Shadow Sneak and I try my luck with a Nature Power-Gunk Shot: pretty underwhelming. Tentacruel meanwhile uses Toxic Spikes again.

capture245qyuby.png

Ace time! An Energy Ball is finally enough to take out Tentacruel, but a Dragon Pulse does the same with Ren. I didn't think an Energy Ball would be enough, so I had Kim use Bullet Seed, which hardly scratched Dragalge, though (its Black Sludge healed most of it).

capture24636ujn.png

I sent in Omelette, but want to keep Kim a bit longer, so I use one of my first switchs in this run...

capture247wiuu2.png

to let Julia take over! Dragalge uses a Poison Tail on Omelette which isn't too effective (I could've guessed we would Night Slash Kim/Julia...), who counters with an Extrasensory and puts Dragalge almost into critical range. Aya's Ace uses a Dragon Pulse on Julia, which leaves her roughly 40% of her HP.

capture248zyu1d.png

I let Julia put Drapion to sleep, as it is faster than Omelette, who takes Dragalge out with another Extrasensory.

capture249axu5e.png

Acrobatics leaves Venusaur a few HP (again, should've used a Gem...) and Drapion already wakes up, defeating Julia with a Poison Tail. Not using a Gem was okay, though, as an Extrasensory easily takes out Venusaur.

capture2509kupp.png

Now, a convenient 2 vs 1. The first turn is pretty uneventful: Drapion confuses James, Omelette paralyszes Drapion, and James misses a NP-Gunk Shot.

James hurts himself, Omelette attacks with an Ancient Power, while Drapion is unable to move.

Both Ancient Power and Knock Off put Drapion intro critical range, who cannot move again.

Finally, an Ancient Power knocks out Drapion.

capture251xguwh.png

Me too.

Victory on first try, but man, I do hate double battles. While I felt this battle went pretty smoothly (outside of my luck with the paralyzis at the end, this was pretty damn lucky), I always feel uncomfortable in doubles lucky Ame included no tripples. While we do get a new Badge, finally raising our level cap to 50 and allowing us to use Strength outside of battle, we also get the TM for Sludge Wave, which only two Grass types can learn, of which only one is available pre-Gen VII (however, it might come in handy upon fighting Charlotte...).

Anyways, with this battle we've shown how easy it is to beat Aya with a team of Grass Types. A hint for you, Fern: Go catch and train the correct Grass types, will you? ;)

This ends the current Chapter, allowing us to finally go save the children. However, before I do so, I still want to collect Venoshock for some extra Poison coverage (should be hidden somewhere in the Wasteland, if I remember correctly), maybe start mining for a certain fossil, and train one or two mons for the sqaud. Having one weakness out of the way feels good I so don't wanna face Bennet. Until next time~

Chapter VIII: So much Salt

Recently, we got past Aya and can no head on to saving the children, as we can finally use Strength outside of battle. So we meet Cain near the Railnet and start exploring the surroundings- with only one free way we can easily choose which way we want to follow. This way leads to the old Yureyu Building and guess who we find there: Team Meteor. We start raiding the building and kicking some butts, ultimately freeing the kids. Charlotte appears to be extra useful with her tricks and I always think it is funny how she tricks Meteor Grunts, in general. Some battles later, all but Heather and Anna are free. Time to save those two.

I think up to now, I mostly fought Sirius and most of the Playthroughs I followed did the same. As a result, I feel like exploring another path and fight Dr. Geezer. Relieving to kick his ass finally after the torturing he has done.

VS Dr. Geezer Sigmund Connel

capture2523es0a.png

Spoiler

capture253les21.png

As usual, I start with Sticky Web, which is fairly useless, though (only 2 of his remaining mon can be affected by it to begin with). Raichu moves first to set up a Double Team, Nidoking hits it with a Poison Tail (not so much damage after Intimidate) and Luxray moves last with Discharge, bossting Raichu and scratching/paralyzing Shelly.

Raichu uses Slam on Shelly (thanks), gets Poison Tailed and Luxray Discharges again- Shelly, now down to half HP, takes Raichu out with a Leaf Blade.

capture254dkss1.png

Nidoking Poison Tailes Electivire and a Discharge (undoing the Sticky Web reduction on Electivire) plus Fire Punch take out Shelly.

capture255jxs9s.png

Electivire Ice Punches Nidoking, halving its HP, which in return gets Poison Tailed, allowing Omelette to take it out with an Extrasensory- Luxray moves last, scratiching Omelette with a Discharge.

capture256sdsnv.png

Poison Tail on Luxray, Giga Drain almost defeats Lanturn, which is partly undone by Discharge, and Lanturn's Signal Beam takes out Omelette.

capture257ffsp3.png

Poison Tail/Seed Bomb take out Lanturn, Discharge scratches Spike.

From now on, I'll post the rest of the pictures and tell my strategy at the end- basically the same for the remaining mons Sigmund has.

capture258nsshi.png

capture259s3svw.png

capture260z8soq.png

capture261i8sk7.png

capture262gdsuq.png

capture263h9s5o.png

Well, Dr. Geezer cannot really scratch Spike- high HP and Def basically nullify physical attacks, and Special Electric types aren't that strong either thanks to the resistance. Each of his Pokemon is seeded, healing most of the damage they do anyways. While Eelektross manages to Thunder Wave Spike, he can move all the time. In between, I use a Seed Bomb for some damage and Dr. Geezer mostly concentrates on Cain.

Okayish battle, first try victory, as his Electric STAB isn't working too well on my Grass types, his coverage was the only way to get rid off two mons. Cain was frustrating to watch, too- why spamm Poison Tail with lowered Atk instead of a field bossted Shadow Ball as you've done before against the Grunts? Geez. He at least took most of the attacks.

So, we can free Heather and watch as Sirius takes a Pendant from Anna. If I remember correctly, they should now own both Ruby and Amethyst- doesn't start very well (I'm not sure if they get Heather's Ruby or not). Team Meteor flees as they have what they want, so we can go as well. Opening the door to the Railnet lets us walk right out of Reborn City, allowing us to breath some fresh air. As soon as we do it, though, Heather departs with her Salamence, without having said a word since meeting her again. Great. Cain tries to follow her.

Anna/Nostra are getting ill, so the group hurries to Charlotte's family Mansion, where we meet Laura, one of her older sisters. She takes care of Anna and after some chit chat we are tasked to get some medicine from Spinnel Town. However, before we do some, it's time to do other stuff. Back in Reborn City, I start with battling Magma Gang, who cannot defeat me even with type advantage. Afterwards, I start mining, but the sake of me am unable to find the fossil I want, but the two extra Sun Stones I'll need and some Plates. After finding a Helix, Armor and two Skull Fossils, I'm sick of mining and transfer a Lileep from my main file:

Spoiler

capture2649ts61.png

My new special wall; I'll probably give Jessie (Vileplume) a better offense as soon as possible now. Rini has some problems to start, but Bennett/Serra isn't exactly the best point to start in a Mono-Grass run, lol. Moveset: Sludge Wave/Infestation (I switch when need be, mostly Sludge Wave), Confuse Ray, Ancient Power and Giga Drain.

After training (and evolving, which I forgot to capture, whoops) Rini, we now go to Spinel Town. Let's just say the city is chaos, as things randomly appear and disappear and earthquakes shake the town. Beore we can enter the Pokemart, we see how it disappears as well. Great. Now, it is on top of a big Villa. There, we meet Serra, this towns Gym leader, her awful son Bennett and El, a religous fanatic. To keep my sanity, I'll skip this part and just write about the battles- I just wanna get over it asap xD

Note: I took no notes in these batlles (other than a "Fuck off" for Bennett), so please bear with me if I forget some things (in the case of Serra, images are enough, though).

VS Lepidopterist Bennett

capture265zzsdk.png

Spoiler

capture2661dsyr.png

I set up Rain, tanking a relatively Stron Bug Bite. Hydro Pump is than a bye bye

capture267jhsnr.png

Hydropump is a bye bye

Dustox sent, Hydropump misses without reflection (fuck off Bennett) and Ren is taken out.

capture26874s9o.png

2 Acrobatics defeat, Signal Beam still strong.

capture269vrshm.png

Masquerain needs two Signal Beams to defeat and tanks an Ancient Power in between.

capture270mqsjn.png

Acrobatics is working.

capture271gjs1n.png

I Cotton Spore it before going down. Maybe I should've used Sleep Powder instead? Dunno.

capture27280kgl.png

I know I spammed Knock Off, but don't really remember how I got taken out (Signal Beam of course, but maybe Quiver Dance was used too). I think he healed a bit too.

capture273b1jf0.png

A NP-Mirror Shot defeats.

capture274ekjce.png

Get lost.

Some Mirror Shots defeat him before he can do reasonable damage.

capture27536kqd.png

Adaptations? Your heart is still beating, the biggest mistake. Can't you slip on the ice and break your neck, please? Pretty please? I'm sure Luna likes you after that.

What a *censored* *censored* *censored*, gosh. His strategy is just a piece of *censored*. I think I somehow defeated him after 3 or 4 tries, but was swearing basically all the time. The fact that Hydro Pump missed and wasn't reflected pissed be off big time, otherwise Ren could've probably kill more than just two of his hellish bugs. When I heard how El declared him, a Bug type specialist spamming Quiver Dance and an abnormaly boosted Signal Beam loosing to a Grass Type specialist, I felt like killing not just killing Bennett, but El too. What a cheap fight.

Time for a rather enjoyable fight against his mother.

VS Beauty Queen Serra

capture27657jnq.png

Spoiler

capture277qvjlb.png

Resetting until Quick Claw activates to set up Sticky Web, Frost Breath easily is a OHKO.

capture278muj70.png

James immediately goes down.

capture279wjkrp.png

Rini can't do much; confusion not working, Ancient Power not really stron, and Flash Cannon/Frost Breath slowly defeat her.

capture28026k29.png

Finally! Spike survives a Frost Breath and Rock Smashes Cryogonal. Time to sweep...

capture281n5j4l.png

capture282sakpn.png

Those two cannot hit Rose after a reduction of their accuracy from NP-Mirror Shot, but I still need two attacks.

capture283kgjrs.png

Vanilluxe manages to hit, but isn't strong enough.

capture284tdjla.png

capture285nik5z.png

Whatever.

capture286j8k80.png

capture287fwkar.png

Yeah yeah, I'm still pissed.

This damn Cryogonal got me off guard. I never thought it has a Base Speed of 105, so I had to reset in my second try (never ended the first) until Sticky Web hits (otherwise, Rose couldn't outspeed parts of her team, probably). Finding a mon that could survive a hit afterwards was painful too, but thank God Spike has a ton of HP. With this monster out of the way, Rose could spamm Metronome boosted Mirror Shots, which are boosted by the field (double in power, always hit, and always lower accuracy; I couldn't say no to such an effective move which she cannot resist). I was lucky Glaceon and Jynx missed their attacks, but to prevent overleveling I gave Rose a Common Candy- with a few extra points in Sp. Atk he could've probably swept more, but well, victory is victory. Now, Serra, please slaughter your son. Compared to Bennet, this fight was much easier for me and created less salt and swearing.

Anyways, the new Badge raises the Level Cap to 55 and we get the TM for Frost Breath- pretty useless for this run. I'm pretty neutral towards Serra, so I hope she gets some more screen time in the future to change my opinion (or get one rather). In this run, I start to hate her for giving birth to Bennett, though. Until next time~