Terrible Pokemon Abilities

So I was thinking of what topic to write today while I was thinking about Pokemon abilities. What is the worst ability that a Pokemon has? You can include specific Pokemon forms in this discussion as well as what you would change it to.

For example, and this may have been talked about before, why does Rotom-Fan have levitate as an ability? I know that all of the Rotoms have the same ability, but...listen. When something turns into a meme, that is generally not a good thing (despite it being absolutely hilarious). As for what to change it to, why not Cursed Body?

download.jpg

Edited by ProjectIceman

Gengar still has 130 special attack and 110 speed and a great movepool, you know. It wasn't entirely dependent on its ability to do well, and looking at competitive that's shown: it's still holding up in UU.

So no, Gengar won't be almost completely useless. In fact, it'd be pretty great!

Anyway, to add on to the topic, things that have Klutz but no way to give the opponent their item.

• Developers
28 minutes ago, GS BALL said:

Back in the day, there wasn't a single Gengar out there, without Sleep + Dream Eater. Main strategy there; status, good damage and healing, with only two moves... Now, good luck sleeping, it is literally a gamble, totally useless to, well, use. And what's worse, even confusion mechanism got nerfed. Goodbye Gengar Confuse Ray, too!

Can you elaborate? Hyposis always had only 60% accuracy except Diamond and Pearl. I don't see any recent nerf.

Confusion was long overdue to get nerfed.

To be honest, I don't think this topic wants to count abilities that are deliberately bad, like they are there to nerf otherwise really powerful Mons, like Archaeops and Slaking.

Now why is Pressure so common, that is a different issue, as in most cases, it just doesn't do enough unless you're deliberately going for PP stall. Except most mons with Pressure don't PP stall. (See: Weavile).

Nirmalize, Healer, Truant, Ice Body, rain dish, Pick Pocket, Cute Charm, Zen Mode(forgot bout that one didn't ya?) Effect Spore, Sticky Hold, HONEY GATHER, Anger point

probably some more but that's all I know of the top of my head

59 minutes ago, Animefan666 said:

Here's a few that don't really help:

1.) Truant - Why?

2.) Pressure - Legendaries should have a USEFUL ability.

3.) Slow Start - Suck it Regigigas.

Pressure huh? Ever used pressure to stall out a Choiced Pokemon forcing it to struggle? XD

34 minutes ago, Wolfox Glace said:

Nirmalize, Healer, Truant, Ice Body, rain dish, Pick Pocket, Cute Charm, Zen Mode(forgot bout that one didn't ya?) Effect Spore, Sticky Hold, HONEY GATHER, Anger point

I will have to disagree with Icy Body and Rain Dish. Bulky Walrein with Lefties and Icy Body in hail is scarily durable. Likewise bulky Blastoise in Rain.

Pickpocket is...debatable. It can be a nasty shock to suddenly lose your Focus Sash to a Pickpocket attack.

Effect Spore...clearly you never got put to sleep or paralyzed by contacting a mon with Effect Spore.

I'd argue about the others, but those are the main ones, IMO.

5 minutes ago, Anstane said:

I will have to disagree with Icy Body and Rain Dish. Bulky Walrein with Lefties and Icy Body in hail is scarily durable. Likewise bulky Blastoise in Rain.

Pickpocket is...debatable. It can be a nasty shock to suddenly lose your Focus Sash to a Pickpocket attack.

Effect Spore...clearly you never got put to sleep or paralyzed by contacting a mon with Effect Spore.

I'd argue about the others, but those are the main ones, IMO.

I overall dislike ones that tridder on contact, like also flame body and static. to RNG based to work well for me.

Plus and Minus anyone? These abilities have been introduced just to "justify" two Pikachu rip-offs in gen 3. They can not be activated in a single battle, and since those make up the majority of any pokemon game, they are oh so very useless in my eyes.
I'm curious though. Does anyone know a way to make this ability pair do at least something worthwhile?

Edited by BlackRum

WHY HAS ANYONE PUT IN THE MOST UTTERLY USELESS ABILITY EVER ILLUMINATE! (i feel bad for that pair of bug types. can not remember how to spell one but the other on was volbeat)

the only thing that abillity does is if it is first in your party it INCREASES the chance you run into wild pokemon. then there are the ones that have no place in 1v1 like receiver, power of alchemy, symbiosis, plus, minus, friend guard, healer, battery, and telepathy. then the ones that are useless in battle like pickup. and ones i personally dislike are victory star, tangled feet, stall, run away, rivalry, regenerator, light metal, and defeatist,  

1 hour ago, Wolfox Glace said:

Normalize can be pretty good in doubles paired with a Ghost Pokemon with Skill Swap and Role Play.

-Intimidate.

Granted it's not a bad ability in general, but the little effect that plays every time it gets used to show the attack gets lowered gets annoying, especially in a double battle.

-Arena Trap/Shadow Tag. (On wild Pokemon)

"So, now I have to kill you to leave? Ok!"

8 hours ago, pyrromanis said:

Why no one have mentioned Aura Break? Thank god gen7 gave us Power Contruct for Zygarde! Zygarde is by no means a counter to Yveltal and for sure not a Xerneas counter either!

LOL

On 5/3/2017 at 5:02 AM, GS BALL said:

What? Illuminate is one of the most useful abilities ever, for overworld, especially here for Reborn (that encounters aren't exactly plentiful, especially in certain areas and since sweet scent can fail, especially with nasty weather)! I really used illuminate in this game, even its lesser abilities with similar effect were priceless for me (Swarm)! Hunting for rares (under 5% encounter chance, like those annoying clefairies in glitch world) or grinding for a team member, this one has to be among the most useful ones, ever! Unless you need the mon carrying it for battle, that is...

i have only one thing to say about this....

Spoiler

No automatic alt text available.

emergency exit/wimp out isn't inherently bad, it's just not a good ability for the only two pokemon that get it.
golisopod's speed is pretty sucky at 40 and any decent SE move will immediately force it to switch out, and so if you use anything other than first impression you'll lose your action that turn. and bug isn't a great offensive type tbh.

on wimpod, he is fast, but he is too weak to do any damage before switching out. not to mention it makes him impossible to train against wilds...

edit: in the same vein as rotom, stunfisk gets limber, which is triple useless.

Edited by Kunikunatu

slow start. it shouldnt exist at all. id just nod and move along if gamefreak gave the reasonable explanation of 'we needed to nerf a 670 bst mon' but then you realize that kyogre and groudon also exist, have the same bst, and got drizzle and drought respectively. and gen VI decided to buff them even more with primal reversion. same with pretty much any major legendary, really. so why nerf regigigas into the ground?

11 hours ago, Maximillion Pegasus said:

slow start. it shouldnt exist at all. id just nod and move along if gamefreak gave the reasonable explanation of 'we needed to nerf a 670 bst mon' but then you realize that kyogre and groudon also exist, have the same bst, and got drizzle and drought respectively. and gen VI decided to buff them even more with primal reversion. same with pretty much any major legendary, really. so why nerf regigigas into the ground?

It should get Slow Start but starting WITH the 670 BST at least. I mean, it did string the continents together.

Also, bad abilities... Defeatist. The worst of them all.

On 5/4/2017 at 4:45 AM, Maximillion Pegasus said:

Perhaps they will make the Regis more powerful when gen 4 remakes come out...though I doubt it. It is usually the main legends that get better.....then again, the Lati's did get a Mega Evolution...who knows.