Pokemon Reborn EV spread of Gym leaders/rivals

Jess

I've played Reborn three times (one unfinished run) so far and I've been wondering... Does anyone know whether leaders in reborn have EV trained pokemon or not? (Particularly wondering about Cal at Pyrous mountain, but question is general). Also, they have perfect IV pokemon or random? Thank you all!

• Global Mods
6 hours ago, bobthebobby said:

i don't think they do, but thats soley based off the fact that when you catch pokemon than formerly belong to gym leaders (corey's skuntank or absol) they come with random iv's

That doesn't necessarily mean Corey's Pokemon in battle have random IVs, as IVs when obtaining a Pokemon are always randomized. By in-game logic you're obtaining Corey's Croagunk, Nidorina, and Skuntank. But by scripting logic you're obtaining Croagunk/Nidorina/Skuntank. The game's script when obtaining a Pokemon doesn't know those Pokemon belonged to Corey, that's a story detail that the player knows. As far as I know, it's not possible to make an event where you obtain a Pokemon make that Pokemon have specific IVs. 

I just checked, and Corey's Pokemon in battle have 10 IVs. 

EDIT: To clarify, making the OT name Corey doesn't connect those Pokemon to the data they had in Corey's battle. The OT name only effects itself. 

On 5/1/2017 at 11:44 PM, Ice Cream Sand Witch said:

That doesn't necessarily mean Corey's Pokemon in battle have random IVs, as IVs when obtaining a Pokemon are always randomized. By in-game logic you're obtaining Corey's Croagunk, Nidorina, and Skuntank. But by scripting logic you're obtaining Croagunk/Nidorina/Skuntank. The game's script when obtaining a Pokemon doesn't know those Pokemon belonged to Corey, that's a story detail that the player knows. As far as I know, it's not possible to make an event where you obtain a Pokemon make that Pokemon have specific IVs. 

EDIT: To clarify, making the OT name Corey doesn't connect those Pokemon to the data they had in Corey's battle. The OT name only effects itself. 

This is basically what I was going to say, except it was worded in a much more eloquent way. ICSW continues to be immensely helpful!

On 2/5/2017 at 9:44 AM, Ice Cream Sand Witch said:

Thank you for that! Do you know about natures too? Are they random? And what about the EVs?

Finally, @Ice Cream Sand Witch if it isn't too much of a trouble, could you check Cal's pokemon at Pyrous Mountain stats? I am still dumbfounded by how my Vivillon in my Bug Monorun, even with Naive nature and 28IV/252EV in speed, managed to outspeed his Infernape...

Edit: Maybe the level advantage between 43 and 36 did the trick, but I am still surprised!

Edited by Jess

• Global Mods
15 minutes ago, Jess said:

Thank you for that! Do you know about natures too? Are they random? And what about the EVs?

Finally, @Ice Cream Sand Witch if it isn't too much of a trouble, could you check Cal's pokemon at Pyrous Mountain stats? I am still dumbfounded by how my Masquerain in my Bug Monorun, even with Naive nature and 26IV/252EV in speed, managed to outspeed his Infernape...

Edit: Maybe the level advantage between 44 and 36 did the trick, but I am still surprised!

Skrelp is Modest, Grimer is Careful, Skuntank is Hardy, and Crobat is Timid. Nidorina and Croagunk's natures are random. 

Cal: Infernape has 10 IVs. Delphox, Typhlosion, and Charizard have 20. Blaziken has 15. Magmortar has 31. 

Infernape is Jolly. Delphox is Timid. Typhlosion and Magmortar are Modest. Charizard and Blaziken are Adamant. 

I don't know which number in the Pokemon data refers to EVs. For example: 

INFERNAPE,36,,CLOSECOMBAT,FLAMEWHEEL,SWORDSDANCE,MACHPUNCH,1,,0,false,JOLLY,10,70,,false

The number after the nature is the IV total. If I had to guess the number after that is the EV total, but I don't know for sure. 

@Ice Cream Sand Witch

Ah, thanks a lot for that! I asked you because I am posting my bug monorun in Team Showcase section. However when I played I had no clue how to take screenshots, since I was playing on Windows 10, and F8 just increases volume... (fml)

So, I was taking rough notes of my battles.

I was also taking rough notes of strategies I can follow pre-battles. So, for Cal my initial plan was to outspeed his Infernape with my Masquerain. But it proved impossible, so I used my Vivillon, who actually outsped Infernape somehow (still weird due to their base speed stat).

But pokemonshowdown speed calculations show that a naive vivillon (43 level) with 28IV and 252EV speed outspeeds jolly infernape (36 level) even if it has 31IV/252EV in speed. So it does make sense!

I really didn't want to lie in my playthrough, so this inconsistency helped me realize that I had mixed my actual battle notes with my pre-battle strategy scribbles.

Thank you!

BTw, you're free to have a look if you want :) 

I think I remember Ame said she started putting EVs and max IVs on leaders from Charlotte and later. That's one of the reasons why challengers find a small power creep at that point and think Charlotte is difficult based on the other leaders.

Outside of leaders, I think there are some major fights with other characters (like Blake) that also have EVs