Bad Design/Good Pokemon

Following my good design/ bad pokemon thread now let's switch it up. What pokemon come to mind when you think of a pokemon that's looks ridiculous but performs well in battle, either  single player or competitively.     My list is Camerupt,darmanitan, mr. Mime , the scraggy line, manectric (it's mountain head bugs me that's the only thing i don't like about it), whishiwashi, dugtrio, both forms, the Palasand line, the evolved form of crabawler, machamp, incineroar( was looking so forward to having a tiger starter but that final form is disapointing I was hoping for it to be on all fours, it looks like when they were developing it it was intended to be a fire/fighting but they changed it after they realized many fans didn't want another fire/fighting, I mean come on its a wrestler lol)the poplio line, love the water/fairy typing but I feel they coulda made it look a little cooler.  What's your all's list?

Edited by Asher_Blackfyre

I second Krookodile. Honestly, it looks like they were going out of their way to make its head look like... something else. >.>

Also second the keys. Because that thing almost makes Stunfisk look decent.

Pretty much anything that's pink and a blob.

Are we counting megas? Because I think Mega 'Mence, and Mega Slowbro deserve a mention. 

23 minutes ago, Captain Breakfast said:

I second Krookodile. Honestly, it looks like they were going out of their way to make its head look like... something else. >.>

Also second the keys. Because that thing almost makes Stunfisk look decent.

Pretty much anything that's pink and a blob.

Are we counting megas? Because I think Mega 'Mence, and Mega Slowbro deserve a mention. 

They said I could become anything. I choose a Beyblade

If megas count, despite being strong Mega Salamence looks hideous. As for non megas I think Staraptor, Talonflame and the majority of the dragon type take the cake for me.

Staraptor doesn't look like a bird of prey, that "raptor" in it's name is almost insulting and that emo hairdo is ridiculous;

Talonflame may come as a surprise but it looks too round, and since it's based on a falcon, that roundness is pretty out of place. Falcons are sharp looking with a lean build; 

Most dragon types don't look like the awesome dragons present in most forms of literature and myth. Instead of resembling dragons, wyverns, wyrms and drakes, they look like overdesigned dinosaurs trying way too hard to be cool  only to fail miserably at that (Kommo-o, Palkia and Dialga).    

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

But I love all of these Pokemon ;_;

It's gotta be Amoongus for me, It's only purpose is  to be a Voltorb clone in black and white because these games didn't have Pokemon from older generations. It also has an ugly face.

Practically all the Gen7 starters' final formes are weird.

Primarina makes no anatomical or biological sense. It may be okay to glance at but once you start looking at it properly it just falls apart: what are those huge hands and narrow arms? What is its back and tail? Looks like it either has a broken spine or no spine at all, it's just a tubular rear body that abruptly ends in fish-fins. How does it even move? The thing ought to be in a wheelchair. And those random spikes/fins don't make sense either. Not to mention that the transition from Popplio was weird.

Incineroar is just lazy. The name is lazy (pyroar much???) and the design is also lazy. Maybe it would've been creative if we didn't have an overabundance of humanoid fighter-style fire type starters already, to the point where it's boring to have yet another thing like that (since Charizard and Typhlosion, we've not had a fire starter that is actually just a non-humanoid animal.) Suddenly going from quadrupedal to bipedal doesn't work in general, much less the sudden transition from oversize house cat to a wrestler. And even then, Incineroar has odd proportions; the arms tapen down into too narrow wrists, which suddenly continue into huge, sausage-like fingers. Likewise the whole fire-belt thing is too over the top. The simple elegance that older Pokemon had is not present today in the overly detailed designs of recent Pokemon.

The same goes for Decidueye. The idea is creative, and the ghost typing though bizarre is acceptable given what it's based on, but the design itself is really weird, particularly the wings. Trying to combine them with a bow and arrow from its bowtie is just too weird; it should be strangling itself every time it tried to fire an arrow/quill. Then we have how the wings themselves work; they can apparently fold up into a cape when resting, but they also have feathers at the wrist that act like fingers??? If you think about how the wing is actually constructed, and how they fold up, it makes you ask questions that have no intelligent explanation. That, and the fact that the transition from Dartrix makes very little sense (from a fussy, rich spoiled brat into Robin Hood???) make this the weirdest of the bunch.

The Gen7 starters are not exactly excellent in competitive battle either; they're each somewhat of a letdown.

Primarina hits hard but it is too physically frail and slow to do anything better than run a choice set and spam Hydro Pump/Moonblast, and lacks things like Wish or Calm Mind (which it ought to have gotten) that would let it be a bulky water.

Incineroar is disappointingly slow, as well, especially given how fast its previous stage was, and lacks the good moves that it ought to get (Sucker Punch? Knock Off?) Maybe Tutors will help it out in the games to come, but it's still neither as strong nor as fast as it'd have liked to be.

Decidueye is just confusingly sad. Why is it slow? Why is it specially bulky and mixed? Why isn't it like the new Sceptile, which is what its design idea inspired? So many questions.

Ultimately, I'll say the Pokémon have had good ideas behind them, but fail to live up to that conception both in design and in usage.

• 2 months later...

Raticate, Ampharos, Ludicolo, SSJ3 Mega Manectric, Bibarel, Simisear/pour, Conkeldurr, Seismitoad, Darmanitan, Kyurem (all versions), the "forces of nature" trio, Diggersby and all the Z-Move dances (especially the Fairy-type one)

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...