Bug Monotype battle vs Ciel (great success!)

Jess

So, I have reached to the battle versus the bane of my existence (literally), Ciel, after enduring everything and gaining great respect for bugs, which type I hated with every molecule of my existence till 3 months ago. Then, as part of a bet, a friend wanted me to finish reborn with only bugs...

Long story short, I would like to share this battle with you, since I believe that it shows some nice strategy on behalf of myself (in contrast to Ciel's stupid Flinch hax with Togekiss, ahem... Seriously, fuck this thing).

My team consisted of:

crustle.gif

Protection, the Crustle (Male)

Jolly/Sturdy (Item: Custap Berry)

Shell Smash

Rock Slide

X-Scissor

Stealth Rock

durant.gif

Humbleness, the Durant (Male)

Jolly/Swarm (Item: Metal Coat)

Iron Head

X-Scissor

Dig

Crunch

masquerain.gif

Kindness, the Masquerain (Male)

Naive/Intimidate (Item: Sea Incense)

Hydro Pump

Bug Buzz

Air Slash

Quiver Dance

volcarona.gif

Passion, the Volcarona (Male)

Timid/Flame Body (Item: Coba Berry)

Heat Wave

Hurricane

Bug Buzz

Quiver Dance

armaldo.gif

Courage, the Armaldo (Male)

Jolly/Swift Swim (Item: Metronome)

Rock Blast

Aqua Jet

X-Scissor

Knock Off

vivillon-meadow.gif

Fiery Wings, the Vivillon (Male)

Naive/Compound Eyes (Item: Sharp Beak)

Hurricane

Draining Kiss

Bug Buzz

Quiver Dance

So, I decide to lead with Protection, knowing that I have a Flinch-kiss to deal with. I go for Shell Smash, get Air Slashed, Protection gets to just below half HP, but miraculously he escapes the flinch, getting a nice +2 in Atk. and Speed. Rock Slide in next turn OHKOs the Togekiss.

Ciel sends in her Archeops and I reply with Humbleness, who outspeeds the ancient flying rock of doom and oneshots it with Iron Head. 

Then, all the trouble starts. Noivern goes in, I know it outspeeds my entire team even if I bring concorde back of retirement and put them in first class seats, so I send in Courage (I needed it). Courage lives after a Heat Wave with just 3 HP and proceeds to Rock Blast the dragon for 4 hits, taking it down. Even if this wasnot the case, Ciel would've healed and Metronome boosted Rock Blast would've done the trick.

After that, Gliscor comes in. I know it has Acrobatics, so I send in Kindness, for a nice Intimidate debuff. However Masquerain is slow as fuck ( please episode 17 and Gen VII come fast!), and frail as well, so it goes down without even getting the chance to try to Hydro Pump the flying scorpion. Then, it is Fiery Wings' turn. It Hurricanes the Gliscor, getting it to yellow HP, but failing to get the confusion. Vivillon goes down to Acrobatics. But even worse, Poison Heal (OP AF) takes Gliscor's health bar high enough to be in green and out of Hyper Potion AI choice. Passion needs to finish the job (and prove why it is Overpowered). One Heat Wave gets it to red, and Coba Berry weakens the Acrobatics, enabling my Flaming Moth to survive with 10 HP. Knowing that Ciel will heal I go for Quiver Dance which gives a +2 in Speed and Specials, thanks to the circus (GOD BLESS!). Passion then proceeds to OHKO Gliscor with another Heat Wave.

Then, Talonflame came in. I switched to my Protection, who was at just below half HP after murdering the flinch-kiss. A Flare Blitz takes him to 2 HP, but fails to burn (thank God), and mercifully my Rock Slide connects to send Talonflame packing.

Now, only Mega-Altaria! Knowing that it is Fairy-Dragon, I send in Durant, who is still at full HP. One Iron Head takes 3/4 of Altaria's HP, Durant tanks a Hyper Voice by surviving with about 25 HP and Iron Heads Altaria again to give me the much desired victory!

At last, time to Fly (fuck walking) back to Reborn and see what Adrienn has done...

(PHEW!!!)

Let me know what you think and how I could've played that better possibly!

Thanks guys and girls! 

Edited by Jess

2 minutes ago, Mr. Divergent said:

It's amazing how your Mono-Bug team was able to conquer Ciel's Mono Flying team. Good luck on getting the good bug types from Generation 7 next episode. :)

Thank you! I plan to upload a complete summary of my Bug Mono walkthrough! I just hadn't done that before, so I wanted to see how it works with posting sprites and how interesting would it be for people to see :)

Just now, Jess said:

Thank you! I plan to upload a complete summary of my Bug Mono walkthrough! I just hadn't done that before, so I wanted to see how it works with posting sprites and how interesting would it be for people to see :)

You should, and do include all major battles, and how your team managed to defeat them all. Good luck with it :)

On 4/18/2017 at 4:52 AM, Alex said:

i just set up with qd volcarona and swept until talonflame

I tried to, but her ungodly flinch-kiss had a different opinion about letting my Volcarona sweep (plus it Thunder Waved me right of the bat)... Prolly just bad luck, but Crustle seemed to be immune to flinching, while the opposite can be said for Volcarona. Hell, it even flinched my Volcarona with Aura Sphere! (thanks to King's Rock I presume)

Edited by Jess

13 hours ago, Jess said:

So, I have reached to the battle versus the bane of my existence (literally), Ciel, after enduring everything and gaining great respect for bugs, which type I hated with every molecule of my existence till 3 months ago. Then, as part of a bet, a friend wanted me to finish reborn with only bugs...

Long story short, I would like to share this battle with you, since I believe that it shows some nice strategy on behalf of myself (in contrast to Ciel's stupid Flinch hax with Togekiss, ahem... Seriously, fuck this thing).

My team consisted of:

crustle.gif

Protection, the Crustle

Jolly/Sturdy (Custap Berry)

Shell Smash

Rock Slide

X-Scissor

Stealth Rock

durant.gif

Humbleness, the Durant

Jolly/Swarm (Metal Coat)

Iron Head

X-Scissor

Dig

Crunch

masquerain.gif

Kindness, the Masquerain

Naive/Intimidate (Sea Incense)

Hydro Pump

Bug Buzz

Air Slash

Quiver Dance

volcarona.gif

Passion, the Volcarona

Timid/Flame Body (Coba Berry)

Heat Wave

Hurricane

Bug Buzz

Quiver Dance

armaldo.gif

Courage, the Armaldo

Jolly/Swift Swim (Metronome)

Rock Blast

Aqua Jet

X-Scissor

Knock Off

vivillon-meadow.gif

Fiery Wings, the Vivillon

Naive/Compound Eyes (Sharp Beak)

Hurricane

Draining Kiss

Bug Buzz

Quiver Dance

So, I decide to lead with Protection, knowing that I have a Flinch-kiss to deal with. I go for Shell Smash, get Air Slashed, Protection gets to just below half HP, but miraculously he escapes the flinch, getting a nice +2 in Atk. and Speed. Rock Slide in next turn OHKOs the Togekiss.

Ciel sends in her Archeops and I reply with Humbleness, who outspeeds the ancient flying rock of doom and oneshots it with Iron Head. 

Then, all the trouble starts. Noivern goes in, I know it outspeeds my entire team even if I bring concorde back of retirement and put them in first class seats, so I send in Courage (I needed it). Courage lives after a Heat Wave with just 3 HP and proceeds to Rock Blast the dragon for 4 hits, taking it down. Even if this wasnot the case, Ciel would've heald and Metronome boosted Rock Blast would've done the trick.

After that, Gliscor comes in. I know it has Acrobatics, so I send in Kindness, for a nice Intimidate debuff. However Masquerain is slow as fuck ( please episode 17 and Gen VII come fast!), and frail as well, so it goes down without even getting the chance to try to Hydro Pump the flying scorpion. Then, it is Fiery Wings' turn. It Hurricanes the Gliscor, getting it to yellow HP, but failing to get the confusion. Vivillon goes down to Acrobatics. But even worse, Poison Heal (OP AF) takes Gliscor's health bar high enough to be in green and out of Hyper Potion AI choice. Passion needs to finish the job (and prove why it is Overpowered). One Heat Wave gets it to red, and Coba Berry weakens the Acrobatics, enabling my Flaming Moth to survive with 10 HP. Knowing that Ciel will heal I go for Quiver Dance which gives a +2 in Speed and Specials, thanks to the circus (GOD BLESS!). Passion then proceeds to OHKO Gliscor with another Heat Wave.

Then, Talonflame came in. I switched to my Protection, who was at just below half HP after murdering the flinch-kiss. A Flare Blitz takes him to 2 HP, but fails to burn (thank God), and mercifully my Rock Slide connects to send Talonflame packing.

Now, only Mega-Altaria! Knowing that it is Fairy-Dragon, I send in Durant, who is still at full HP. One Iron Head takes 3/4 of Altaria's HP, Durant tanks a Hyper Voice by surviving with about 25 HP and Iron Heads Altaria again to give me the much desired victory!

At last, time to Fly (fuck walking) back to Reborn and see what Adrienn has done...

(PHEW!!!)

Let me know what youthink and how I could've played that better possibly!

Thanks guys and girls! 

I am absolutely shocked how far you have gotten with mono-bug. Nevermind Ciel, was Charlotte an absolute nightmare for you to face?

I want to congratulate you with beating Ciel, yet I won;t say I'm suprised persee. bug Types aren;t the best in the game yet they are strong if used right and have a lot of coverage options. I will howeverassume Hardy is gonna be the biggest challange for you

26 minutes ago, ProjectIceman said:

Nevermind Ciel, was Charlotte an absolute nightmare for you to face?

Weirdly enough, Charlotte took me 1 try and was a walk in the park. I needed some breeding for the correct moves and Protection swept her with Rock Slide.

Spoiler

I will create a full narration of my Bug mono-run, so I won't spoil how I beat her, but it was really easy, after some careful pre-Agate planning!

As for Hardy, probably it will come down to finding the right opportunity to set up with Kindness (my Masquerain) or Leavanny/Venomoth to sweep. Probably some extensive Charti Berry usage will be involved too. I'll think of this when times comes xD

Edited by Jess

Congratz on your victory! Sounds like you had quite a number of nerve wracking moments in that battle. Personally I think that kind of battle is one of the most fun kind.

Mmh, would it be too much of a spoiler to tell if any Pokémon you used ended up accomplishing much more than you expected? ;p

4 hours ago, Gentleman Jaggi said:

would it be too much of a spoiler to tell if any Pokémon you used ended up accomplishing much more than you expected

Spoiler

Masquerain, Vivillon, Butterfree, Crustle, even Vespiquen have been absolute stars in different parts. But because of the fact that I caught almost all bug types, many had their chance to shine! In my second run (shiny run), I've kept my Persian to the end and it's been a keystone of my success, so I guess I am very fond of underrated Pokemon!