So... Desks!

We're all probably sitting in front of one at this exact moment, so I thought it's about time we put a spotlight on these, our most trusted of companies in our journies across the digital abyss' separating us. 

So let's share what our desks look like,

Mine is pretty standard, I'd say. It has a map, office supplies and my computer. Some standout things here are the Rubix Cube, a Hoptimist to the left and,  an origami crane that's been with me for a few years and the orchid. It's a pretty good work environment, and somewhere I don't mind spending 10 hours a day. 

F7xQSaq.jpg?1 

Edited by Tartar

I've got an, um, somewhat unique setup in that I'm using an outdoor metal patio table that I got for free off of craigslist.  I will say though, the grating coupled with me keeping the house at 60 degrees Freedom units is great for keeping my laptop from melting.  Some things of note are the block of styrofoam to keep my monitor from reenacting Haiti circa 2010 and a glass of water (hail hydrate).

desk.jpg

@Tempest That set-up is incredible, good job putting it together. I'm loving the sleek black finish on the table, and how organised it all is. 4 computers, 2 consoles and a TV may be a bit excessive, but it's quite impressive how up to date everything is. May I ask how often your buy new gear, everything seems very new. 

On that note, do you ever have problems making space for work materials on your desk? it seems kinda small, and has little space to move the keyboard aside. 

5 hours ago, Tartar said:

@Tempest That set-up is incredible, good job putting it together. I'm loving the sleek black finish on the table, and how organised it all is. 4 computers, 2 consoles and a TV may be a bit excessive, but it's quite impressive how up to date everything is. May I ask how often your buy new gear, everything seems very new. 

On that note, do you ever have problems making space for work materials on your desk? it seems kinda small, and has little space to move the keyboard aside. 

Only 3 computers actually... My desktop, laptop and Surface. I use all of them, so it's not too much for me. I run a ton of VMs off the desktop (why it has two graphics cards), and I use my Surface a lot for school.

Most of this is fairly new. My Surface is 8 months old and my laptop is 2 months old. I got the desktop used off eBay a few months ago, and upgraded the RAM and CPUs with used parts off eBay; the hard drives and the RX 480 and RX 460 are all brand new... I spend too much money at Microcenter.

I don't often have a lot of papers and stuff to deal with, but when I do, there's usually plenty of room. I don't often have my laptop and Surface up there at once. Usually just one at a time. I can push my laptop a ways back too. It's a lot bigger than it looks.

So this is my desk. I like to keep it rather empty/clean, just so I don't get distracted when doing homework. That purple thing on the left is a massaging ball that I won at an event, that can is compressed air for my PC. Straight below my monitor is an old hard drive from a laptop, completely formatted but just laying there. I still haven't found a purpose for it.

2017-04-08 11.17.46.jpg

By the way, @Tempest: your desk looks sick!

Edited by HongaarseBeer97