Fire Emblem 3D

SuperNova

HIII guys!

So found the trick!

Recently I started asking the community diffrent questions regarding games and that ended up being really useful.

So let's get straight to the point:

Recently I got into Fire Emblem and started palying FE7 I liked it so I decided to buy a 3DS title, but only one as I'm saving up money for a switch.

So should I buy Awakening, Fates, or wait for Echoes. I know Echoes is really different but still. If fates what Version and why ( I give heavy attention to plot )?

COMMUNITY SPEAK UP!!!!!

Edited by SuperNova

• Administrators

I would recommend going Awakening first because it's more similar to FE7, and because Fates is better as a whole. It'll be jarring to go from Fates to Awakening since so many mechanics change and such. Plus, then you can save Fates until you have money for all three branches.

I don't have experience with the franchise prior to Awakening, but I'd go for that one as well. for the reasons that Ame stated + a little minority of characters might... appreciate it if you have played Awakening before ;) 
Awakening is a full game in itself, while for Fates you (theoretically) need to get all three paths.
I like both of them a lot, but stretching Fates over three games imo eventually hurt the final path, both in the necessary endurance to put that many hours in (depending on difficulty I guess) and plotwise.

Get Awakening first. If you ever decide to get Fates, get Birthright then Conquest. I haven't played Revelations, so I can't support or deny it. Echos isn't out yet, so it's hard to say if it's good or not.

14 minutes ago, Combat said:

Get Awakening first. If you ever decide to get Fates, get Birthright then Conquest. I haven't played Revelations, so I can't support or deny it. Echos isn't out yet, so it's hard to say if it's good or not.

I mean it's a remake of what is widely considered the black sheep of the franchise as it's just super different and weird. ((and they are keeping quite a bit of the weirdness like 1-5 range bows for example.)) they are modernizing it in places though I suppose so there is that at the least. ((like apparently there will be supports more akin to the gba style of supports added and a lot of general story will be added into the game so it... actually has one.)) 

Anywho, of the things you're asking about I've not played Awakening but if plot is what you value... don't bother with Fates now. You'd want enough to pick up the full thing and potentially the dlc ((cause it has some important plot stuff in it cause LOL, bad dlc pratices... -_-)) but even then it might be worth skipping. Fates... in the story department is extremely lacklustre. Like it's plot is already poor quality and it's hit rather hard by really poor translation work. ((thank god Treehouse isn't working on Echoes...)) the only thing I really dug was CQ's gameplay since the maps are much better designed and it's a nice challenge. The rest of the titles are kinda weak though in most aspects. ((Birthright suffers from pretty bad map design and ones with horribly annoying gimmicks. Rev is... a mess and a half.))

I only played Fates: Conquest out of all the ones you asked about. And I enjoyed it for its gameplay, but the story's pretty bad. After seeing all the cutscenes once, I couldn't help but skip them all in subsequent playthroughs despite not doing that with most games I play. If plot's the biggest thing you're looking for, you may wanna skip Fates altogether, because I'm willing to bet the rest of Fates likely suffers from the same as Conquest in terms of its story.

Maybe you'd wanna wait for FE: Echoes? That's coming out in May.

After you've finished 7, I recommend you go with The Binding Blade (the 6th one) which is the sequel to 7, and uses the same gameplay, but expands on the original story. Lots of the characters return too, and or their kids, so it's quite fun on that regard.

Otherwise Mystic Stone, the 8th game is an excellent addition to the series. But is otherwise the shortest game in the series.

What I would consider as the pinnacle of the series thus far is the Tellius series, which includes Path Of Radiance and Radiant Dawn for respectively the Gamecube and Wii. And something you should try, once you've finished the Gameboy Games. 

I wouldn't really bother with the DS games (Shadow Dragon and New Mystery of The Emblem) as they're remakes of the first two games, and stripped out most of the innovations that came with the Gamecube titles.  

Awakening is a great game too that everyone should try, but I wouldn't say it's better than the Radiant Dawn.

tl;dr Play Binding Blade and optionally Mystic Stones -> Then play the Tellius series -> Get Awakening