The Savage

Dr. Exorcist

I found something very weird interesting. There is this old grandpa in the pokemon center in Lapis Ward who tells you a story. It is about a guy who was battling Shade all the time, the frantic soul, Savage, as the people called him. Eventually he beat Shade but he didn't turn back to normal. He also said that he might be still challenging the leage, which implies that we will be introduced to this character later on? This is actually a very good way to foreshadow his appearance in the plot (if he is in the game, and if he will be useful in any way to the story). 

Edited by Dr. Exorcist

• Global Mods
1 hour ago, ChaosReaperPein said:

From the quotes it looks like there is a higher league than the regular reborn league after you beat it sounds like post game should be fun maybe thats when we will meet savage.

In the online league, challengers who beat the normal league could participate in the X-League, where leaders and challengers could use legendaries. 

Just now, Dr. Exorcist said:

@ZEL Thanks a lot for the info :D 

There's still a few people around here who have been there for the online league, so with a bit of luck someone might be able to explain why exactly the game scene plays out like that. I wasn't here back then myself, so I only recognize the name, but don't know anything about the community lore/story that inspired this. There are quite a few references to/cameos of old community members in the game (there were more, too, but some got removed), so this seems to me like another one, and the comment likely is a jab at something that happened back in the days.

2 minutes ago, ZEL said:

There's still a few people around here who have been there for the online league, so with a bit of luck someone might be able to explain why exactly the game scene plays out like that. I wasn't here back then myself, so I only recognize the name, but don't know anything about the community lore/story that inspired this. There are quite a few references to/cameos of old community members in the game (there were more, too, but some got removed), so this seems to me like another one, and the comment likely is a jab at something that happened back in the days.

ohh, this makes sense :P What other references have there been?

Hah, you caught me, the only ones I know of are

- An NPC called Nyu who lives in the Aventurine Woods, and whose name is used for the PC storage in-game. IIRC Nyu used to host Reborn's PO server back then.

- The Mysidia railcave (if it is even still in the game) as a reference to a server of the same name

- Amethyst as Ame (duh!)

- (no longer in the game) Gravestones in the Beryl cemetery for Ikaru and Ice

- ...I'm pretty sure one of the re-battleable grand hall trainers is a cameo as well, but heck if I know whose it was.

Actually I'll go ahead and have the audacity to just tag @Ice (Please don't ban me to the couch) because in Kitty's interview he complained about the removal of references like these, so chances are he knows some more \o\

26 minutes ago, Dr. Exorcist said:

ohh, this makes sense :P What other references have there been?

While a less specific reference, I've heard that the Gossip Garevoir interview where Amaria 6-0's the Reborn League opponent that was testing her continued skill (after amnesia) was based on a similar indecent/test in the IRL league.  

• Global Mods
34 minutes ago, ZEL said:

Hah, you caught me, the only ones I know of are

- An NPC called Nyu who lives in the Aventurine Woods, and whose name is used for the PC storage in-game. IIRC Nyu used to host Reborn's PO server back then.

- The Mysidia railcave (if it is even still in the game) as a reference to a server of the same name

- Amethyst as Ame (duh!)

- (no longer in the game) Gravestones in the Beryl cemetery for Ikaru and Ice

- ...I'm pretty sure one of the re-battleable grand hall trainers is a cameo as well, but heck if I know whose it was.

Actually I'll go ahead and have the audacity to just tag @Ice (Please don't ban me to the couch) because in Kitty's interview he complained about the removal of references like these, so chances are he knows some more \o\

There's also a trainer on the part of Opal Bridge that leads to North Obsidia named Inuki. He's the psychic with the Porygon2 who talks about electromagnetism. 

There's a trainer in an alleyway of Peridot Ward who says he'll kidnap you for ransom named Erick, and another trainer somewhere (I forget exactly where) named Andreas. Erick could have been a reference to forum member Neo whose name is Erick, and Andreas could be a reference to member Eternal Edge. I think both of them have been here since the early days of the community. I'm not 100% sure if they're intended references though; Ame could have just decided "I'll name this trainer Erick and this one Andreas". 

In Ame's "Twenty three" thread she mentioned a trainer in the Onyx Trainers School who was a member of the community who committed suicide and Ame wished she could have done more to help her. This is the Arcade Star who asks if you think you can best her. I think her name was Lithi or Lilith. 

15 minutes ago, seki108 said:

While a less specific reference, I've heard that the Gossip Garevoir interview where Amaria 6-0's the Reborn League opponent that was testing her continued skill (after amnesia) was based on a similar indecent/test in the IRL league.  

After Amaria's car accident and memory loss, Ame tested her to see if she was still okay to be a Gym Leader in the online league. Amaria 6-0'd Ame with a Ludicolo.

• Administrators
On 3/21/2017 at 2:51 PM, Ice Cream Sand Witch said:

There's a trainer in an alleyway of Peridot Ward who says he'll kidnap you for ransom named Erick, and another trainer somewhere (I forget exactly where) named Andreas. Erick could have been a reference to forum member Neo whose name is Erick, and Andreas could be a reference to member Eternal Edge. I think both of them have been here since the early days of the community. I'm not 100% sure if they're intended references though; Ame could have just decided "I'll name this trainer Erick and this one Andreas". 

in both of those cases they were being butts.

erick was being a butt so i made him a dumb street rat.

edge was also being a butt so i also made him a dumb street rat and gave him a dunsparce to troll him.

unfortunately dunsparce gets rollout very early. that kind of back fired.

he no longer has a dunsparce.

but yes, The Savage is a Real Event That Actually Happened basically as it's described by that NPC. He was a real person-- once a mod here too before he went off the deep end. I decided to include that story because in addition to being a true story, it reinforces Shade's character a lot.

This is unlike other references such as Mysidia, or the mention of a Neku bombing things up (old member Geo roleplayed bomb threats a lot) which were removed because they were too esoteric-- they were nice for the increasingly small percentage of people who knew about those things, but to anyone else they were just noise and did not add to the game.

Many of the trainers, especially around Opal Bridge and the Grand Hall, however, were submitted by members-- if not all of them. I stopped filling those requests because there were just. Too. Many.

Now I have that as part of my Patreon as mentioned before because that's a manageable amount and a small way of saying 'thanks' to the people who are letting me keep working on this. <3