[SM Monotype] The Irregulars (Normal)

IntSys

The Irregulars

「porygon-z sprite」的圖片搜尋結果「linoone sprite」的圖片搜尋結果「chansey sprite」的圖片搜尋結果「ditto sprite」的圖片搜尋結果「staraptor sprite」的圖片搜尋結果「pyroar sprite」的圖片搜尋結果

-AT A GLANCE-

This team uses Staraptor to counter Fighting-monos, Pyroar to counter Steel-monos, while the rest takes on neutral matchups and Ghost-monos. Linoone and Porygon-Z in particular are often wincons against neutral matchups. Ditto abuses Imposter to counter Hyper-Offensive monos such as Dragon and Fighting, and can still be useful for mindgames, eating up Leech Seeds and/or Toxic by borrowing the opponent's types. Chansey is there to give its teammates a lot more breathing space. It is often used to give Linoone and Porygon-Z the opportunity to set up.

-TEAMBUILDING PROCESS-

Porygon-Z I wanted a Normal-type that can act beyond the regulations of Monotype, that is, you must be at least part Normal-type. The other option was Kecleon, and that thing doesn't pack quite the sweeping ability Porygon-Z possessed. I went with the Electric-type Z-Conversion set, because Yellow Magic is depressingly crippling and I hated it.

Porygon-ZLinoone Then I thought, "Speaking of sweepers, how about Linoone?" With Figy Berry (and its relatives) buffed, I can abuse Gluttony Linoone and sweep with Belly Drum Extreme Speed! It was such a powerful idea on paper that I could not pass the chance to use it.

Porygon-ZLinooneSwellowDodrio Then suddenly, I remembered the days when I had to fight Mono-Fighting teams. With Mega Pidgeot gone, I needed a replacement. I thought of Swellow and Dodrio, both of which got buffed in Gen 7 one way or another.

Porygon-ZLinooneSwellowDodrioChansey What's a Mono-Normal team without Chansey, am I right? So I slotted Chansey into the team, taking damage for its teammates.

Porygon-ZLinooneSwellowDodrioChanseyDitto I was worried about the many setup sweepers that I would face, so I chose Ditto, as its sheer presence prevents the opponent from setting up carelessly.

Porygon-ZLinooneChanseyDittoStaraptorSwellow  But wait! Why use Dodrio when you can use Staraptor? A better ability, stronger and faster, gets better coverage moves, and only missing out the Knock Off. So I made the logical switch.

Porygon-ZLinooneChanseyDittoStaraptorPyroarWith two birds, my team had extreme difficulties with Mono-Steel teams, so I put Pyroar in. It'd also make my team less physically-oriented.

-In Depth-

「porygon-z」的圖片搜尋結果

destruction.bat (Porygon-Z) @ Normalium Z  
Ability: Adaptability  
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe  
Timid Nature  
IVs: 0 Atk  
- Thunderbolt  
- Psyshock  
- Ice Beam  
- Conversion

Z-Conversion Porygon-Z is one of my wincons. I use Electric-type Conversion as Ghost-type Conversion isn't really worth it. The immunity to Paralysis helps immensely with setting up safely. Psyshock and Ice Beam are my coverage moves of choice, with the former nailing Fighting-types and the latter completing the BoltBeam combo. Porygon-Z can set up against a lot of tanks, including the common Utility Cobalion (Volt Switch/Thunder Wave/Stealth Rock/Iron Head) that almost every Fighting-mono uses, the dreaded Mega Sableye, and pretty much every tank that runs T-Wave. It cannot set up on Ferrothorn and Chansey, however, as the former hits back hard enough to beat Porygon-Z in a 1-on-1, and the latter capable of Toxic-stalling as Psyshock doesn't hit hard enough.

I generally use Porygon-Z to clean up once the nastier tanks are gone.

「linoone」的圖片搜尋結果

Limit Break (Linoone) @ Figy Berry  
Ability: Gluttony  
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe  
Jolly Nature  
- Belly Drum  
- Extreme Speed  
- Play Rough  
- Shadow Claw

Linoone gets even more leniency with setting up in this generation. The raw power it has allows it to punch through a lot of Pokemon. Play Rough hits specifically Mega Sableye, and Shadow Claw hits Steel-types for decent damage and heavy damage to Ghost-types, although against ghosts, it usually gets burned before unleashing Shadow Claw. I usually switch-in Linoone as a revenge mechanism in tandem with Chansey. It is reserved for mid to late game as that's when I can benefit from Linoone the most. It faces trouble against Unaware Quagsire and Clefable, which require Seed Bomb and Gunk Shot to break through, but running these moves render it incapable of denting Steel-types.

相關圖片

Extra Life (Chansey) @ Eviolite  
Ability: Natural Cure  
EVs: 252 Def / 252 SpD / 4 Spe  
Bold Nature  
- Thunder Wave
- Soft-Boiled  
- Seismic Toss  
- Toxic

Chansey is the meatshield of the team, eating up status aliments and spreading some of its own. Thunder Wave paralyzes Steel-types and Toxic neuters opposing walls. Seismic Toss is for damage, and Soft-Boiled is for longevity. Chansey is not meant to survive, but rather whittle down a threat enough so Porygon-Z or Linoone can come in and take over. The sneaky, gimmicky 4 EVs in Speed allows it to escape the very crowded base 50 speed tier, allowing it to paralyze Alolan Muk, Mega Mawile and poison Tangrowth. Most importantly, it allows Chansey to get an edge on opposing Chansey as well.

「ditto」的圖片搜尋結果

Choreomorph (Ditto) @ Choice Scarf  
Ability: Imposter  
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD  
Bold Nature  
- Transform

The standard Ditto set. Original intention was to use Ditto to destroy Mono-Dragon teams. Seriously, Ditto > Dragons, though, it is also very much effective in other situations.

「staraptor」的圖片搜尋結果

Hawkeye (Staraptor) @ Choice Scarf  
Ability: Intimidate  
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe  
Jolly Nature  
- Brave Bird  
- Close Combat  
- U-turn  
- Final Gambit

Staraptor acts as both an Anti-Lead and an anti-Fighting Pokemon. Choice Scarf is used to ensure that it outraces even the faster Fighting-types such as Terrakion. Final Gambit can OHKO max health Rotom, while the other moves are all standard. Intimidate is chosen to further weaken Mono-Fighting teams. U-Turn is an excellent momentum-grabber.

「pyroar」的圖片搜尋結果

Mufasa (Pyroar) @ Choice Scarf  
Ability: Unnerve  
Modest Nature  
- Fire Blast  
- Dark Pulse  
- Hyper Voice  
- Hidden Power [Grass]

Another Scarfer? I have my reasoning, though. Outside of Pyroar, my team faces huge problems against Mega Metagross, only able to use Ditto to take out a weakened one. However, with Modest Scarf Pyroar, I can outspeed and OHKO Mega Metagross with Fire Blast. Hidden Power Grass is chosen to hit Water/Ground types.

-IMPORTABLE SHEET-

Spoiler

destruction.bat (Porygon-Z) @ Normalium Z  
Ability: Adaptability  
Timid Nature  
- Thunderbolt  
- Psyshock  
- Ice Beam  
- Conversion  

Limit Break (Linoone) @ Figy Berry  
Ability: Gluttony  
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe  
Jolly Nature  
- Belly Drum  
- Extreme Speed  
- Play Rough  
- Shadow Claw  

Extra Life (Chansey) @ Eviolite  
Ability: Natural Cure  
EVs: 252 Def / 252 SpD / 4 Spe  
Bold Nature  
- Thunder Wave  
- Soft-Boiled  
- Seismic Toss  
- Toxic  

Choreomorph (Ditto) @ Choice Scarf  
Ability: Imposter  
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD  
Bold Nature  
- Transform  

Hawkeye (Staraptor) @ Choice Scarf  
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe  
Jolly Nature  
- Brave Bird  
- Close Combat  
- U-turn  
- Final Gambit  

Mufasa (Pyroar) @ Choice Scarf  
Ability: Unnerve  
Modest Nature  
- Fire Blast  
- Dark Pulse  
- Hyper Voice  
- Hidden Power [Grass]  

Edited by IntSys

If you were struggling against steel monotypes with dual birds, why you didn't change to specs Swellow with Heat Wave for your second special attacker? But I prefer Pyroar tbh since it is more reliable against steels.
Since you have dual Scarf how about you try defensive Staraptor with Defog? Your team is very weak to hazzards...
Something like this:

Staraptor @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 96 Def / 160 Spe
Impish Nature
- Defog
- Roost
- Brave Bird
- U-turn

• Veterans
47 minutes ago, pyrromanis said:

If you were struggling against steel monotypes with dual birds, why you didn't change to specs Swellow with Heat Wave for your second special attacker? But I prefer Pyroar tbh since it is more reliable against steels.
Since you have dual Scarf how about you try defensive Staraptor with Defog? Your team is very weak to hazzards...
Something like this:

Staraptor @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 96 Def / 160 Spe
Impish Nature
- Defog
- Roost
- Brave Bird
- U-turn

Specs Swellow can't have Hurricane/Heat Wave/Boomburst as of rn. Jsyk.

2 hours ago, Azeria said:

Specs Swellow can't have Hurricane/Heat Wave/Boomburst as of rn. Jsyk.

It can't have Hurricane with Heat Wave, Heat Wave + Boomburst is still legal. And there is also the option of the weakest Air Slash

@pyrromanis Defensive Staraptor's not a good choice, as it is absolutely useless against Mono-Steel and Rock. Stealth Rock isn't the biggest issue for me, as my team is capable of taking out most Stealth Rock setters, and punish other more passive Stealth Rock setters with Porygon-Z or Linoone setting up against them.

Swellow's a possible choice, though. However, there are several problems that Swellow faces. One of them being a crappy bulk that lets it get obliterated by priority moves. It also doesn't have the oomph that allows it to OHKO Mega Metagross and other Steel-types that aren't 4x weak to Steel, unlike Pyroar. So, I'll stick to using Pyroar over Swellow.