If you could change any pre-existing move as of 7th Gen, what move would you change and why?

PrimeMehster

I know that we already have a custom move thread in this forum, but I wanted to consider this topic from a slightly different angle. Instead of proposing entirely new moves and functions of their own that could be introduced into the next generation, why not consider moves that could be revamped or modified to either become more balanced, or, better yet, changed so that they can become relevant over more common moves of the same type? I came up with this idea when I saw two moves in particular, Leech Life and Freeze-Dry. On one hand, Leech Life was given a major change in the 7th Gen in the form of its base power to make it a much, much more relevant and useful move. On the other hand, Freeze Dry hasn't really changed, but is very unique for a move in that it functions just like any other ice type move, but is also effective against water types as a property of the move itself, making it a potentially very useful move against certain dual types that would normally ignore ice type moves (IE, Swampert and the almighty Gyarados.)

With this in mind, I would propose changing the move Sky Uppercut to be the exact same except to be super effective against flying types. This move would be very similar to Freeze Dry, in that it is limited to a very small group of Pokemon, that it is a move of moderate base power that is normally outclassed by other moves, and that it would somewhat logically have it's special function as a result of the nature of the move itself. I've always thought that it was weird that fighting type attacks, which can mostly be considered brutal displays of power, would be ineffective against flying types, which are mostly just frail looking majestic birds, and that the only reason why these moves would be ineffective would be because of the reach and spacing limitations that especially fighting types would be restricted by. In other words, it's hard to karate chop a bird when it's in the air and too far out of reach, therefore making it an ineffective move. Sky Uppercut as part of its normal function can already hit opponents that in the stage of using moves like Fly or Sky Drop, so it clearly isn't limited by the same range restrictions that most Fighting type moves would have. Not to mention that the users of this move are generally much more agile and athletic Fighting type Pokemon than the rest (Blaziken comes to mind here the most), or can just straight up fly (Gligar line).

So with this example, are there any moves that you see that could be either better balanced or just given a change in their function to make them a more compelling move?

Adjust moves with 100 Base Power but 75 Accuracy like Dragon Rush and Iron Tail.  Earthquake itself is 100 in both categories while overloaded moves like Fire Blast and Blizzard have 110 BP and 85 Acc with status effects.

Leave it at 100 and give it 80 Acc, or make it like the other overloaded moves.

Edited by Slicster

Make Dragon Hammer 100 BP, 90% Accuracy and a Speed Drop, keeping it as a Hammer clone. It'd help with Trick Room, too.

Make Core Enforcer a Physical move instead of a Special one, so Zygarde can actually use it.

Give Multi-Attack 100 BP instead of 90, making it a Judgment clone (Though Memory Discs don't give extra boosts).

Give Glaciate 95 BP instead of 65. Poor Kyurem could really benefit from the speed drop and the power that comes with this Glaciate.

Make Laser Focus' effect last until the user switches out. With this, Laser Focus becomes a superior Focus Energy. While this seems a bit overpowered, only Mewtwo, Lucario and Kartana can benefit from this, and they already have Nasty Plot and Swords Dance. Laser Focus will exist solely for the three Pokemon to break through CM / Curse / Bulk Up users.

Give X-Scissor a high crit rate, so it doesn't become an inferior Leech Life.

Give Giga Drain, Drain Punch and Horn Leech 80 BP, so they can be on the same level with Leech Life.

Give Mist Ball and Luster Purge 100% chance at activating their secondary effects, respectively.

Let Shell Trap activate as long as Turtonator has taken damage in the turn it is used.

Make Sparkling Aria doubled in power if the target's burned, much like Smelling Salts with Paralysis.

Give Triple Kick 30 BP and 95% Accuracy. BP scales from 30 to 60 to 90.

Give Weather Ball 60 BP instead of 50. Gotta abuse Technician.

Make it so Teleport switches the user out when used in battle.

Give Mega Kick, Mega Punch and Slam 100% Accuracy. These moves had no rights to be this bad.

Give False Swipe and Hold Back 60 BP. I want my False Swipers to be stronger, okay?

Make Electrify's effect last until the target switches out.

Give Constrict 50 BP. It is actually impossible to get a STAB with Constrict outside of Smeargle, so giving it a higher BP is justified, even if the move's learned in level 1 by every Pokemon that gets it, aside from Tentacool which gets it at level 7.

Give Poison Sting 30 BP. Another move that didn't have to be absolutely terrible.

Edited by IntSys

I would make Submission 100 power, 100 accuracy with 1/3rd recoil and give it to Emboar.
I would give Metal Burst the same negative priority with Counter/Mirror Coat.
Desiny Bond's and Protect's fail chance should stack, so you can't spam them with Mega Gengar that has trapped its opponent.
Autotomize should halve your weight instead of only losing 100kg f*ck offensive physical Celesteela.
Bullet Punch should be considered a bullet move and be blocked by Bulletproof.
Drill Run with 100% accuracy.
Jump Kick's recoil reduced to 1/3rd.
King's Shield should reduce attack only by 1 stage and only be usable by Aegislash.
Meteor Mash should return to its previous base power of 100 but only with a 10% chance to boost attack.
Boost Petal Blizzrad's power to 100, making an EQ clone.
Rapid Spin should remove hazzards even if the user dies from Rocky Helmet/LO recoil.
Rock Blast should have 100% accuracy.
Sucker Punch should hit even if the opponent moved 1st and used an attacking move.
Belch should be used even if the user has switched out after eating a berry.
I would make Brutal Swing to not get nerfed in Doubles/Triples by the spread move nerf damage (so it will hit each opponent as a 60 base power).
Fire Spin and Whirlpool should be 100% accurate like Infestation.
And last Freeze Shock, Ice Burn and Sky Attack all should have 100% accuracy.

• 3 weeks later...