Game Development Resources and Software

Daniel Blackworth

I'm planning to develop my own game in a few month's time depending on how busy I am but  am not quite familiar with the programs, resources, and software I need to do so.

Can anyone suggest:

1. Software

- scripting

- coding

- spriting

- map maker

- others

2. Resources

- tilesets

- sprites

- OW sprites

- others

3. Tutorials for Game Dev

Are we talking about a pokemon fan game or a game in general?

If you're talking pokemon fan game, RPGMakerXP and Pokemon Essentials are your best bet. They're both pretty self explanatory (and there is a lot of good help on the pokemon essentials wiki which you can find if you google it). Essentials comes with lots of graphics, musics and coding (there's enough in there to make a decent game). RPGMakerXP itself will allow you to map easily and add events in. You can find a video of Ame explaining the basics here.

If you're talking about a game in general, it really depends on the genre. If you want to make an RPG picking one of the RPGMaker versions is a good idea, but choosing one will depend on your budget and exactly what you want. 

Like @mde2001 said, Ame has the basic of making a pokemon fan game and some spriting.

AtomicReactor also has basic tutorials on Youtube. Same with LukaSJ.

Essentials has many resources that you can customize yourself and I heard Rejuvenation resources is for public use. 

For starter, I suggest going for Gen III style graphics like in default Essentials but for custom styles, deviantArt is the place to go.

For spriting, GraphicsGale is recommended software because it has multiple layers and also free. I myself prefer Photoshop because it is more flexible in general but it's very expensive so I don't recommend it.

For starter, I suggest to make a small complete games first for the sole of learning given you only plan to make your game for several months. If you want your game to be epic and as complex as Reborn, Rejuvenation, and Desolation, you have to prepare years of dedication. For sample of what short game I mean, see Relic Castle Forum Game Jam.