Frustration about Anna

Sirrobert

So instead of picking back up after E16 came out, I've been replaying the game, now with all the things I learned about pokemon from the first time (I only ever played Gen1. I now know what a sweeper is).

And I just want to say:

Why are all those kids so damn oblivious to Anna clearly being psychic?

It's so obvious that she can see more than just the visual stuff, and even her brother just thinks she's crazy

Feels like Anna is totally underestimated by everyone, but I wouldn't be surprised if she is/was an Elite 4 member or the Psychic type reserve of the Reborn League.

Spoiler

Also, we'll probably see Anna and Nostra battling/doing something important on E17 (according to the fortune teller woman on Beryl, stating that "The girl with a falling star invokes a wish, feelslikedoomdesireondatdamnnewworldfield)

It's probably because Anna didn't say a lot of meaningfull stuff in the past and mostly talked only about Nomos,Nostra and Charlotte's scars. I mean the scene where the orphans try to find a way underneath the mountain was a clear example. Noel said something and Anna just acted like Nomos said. Another scene is when she talks about Charlotte scars. Only Charlott and maybe her sisters might know what that meant and Charlotte certainly wouldn't tell anybody. Do thse scenes a few times and people will think she's weird/crazy. The player however gets a more unbiased scene when Anna (in secret) gave solid advice about Shelly, could actually see the glowness when she unlocked the door ,got a lot of insight in Shelly's friends and contacted Shade (or maybe it was the reverse).

Another good example is this interview: http://www.rebornevo.com/forum/index.php?/topic/11601-finding-interviews/&do=findComment&comment=523817. She was acknowledged her skills but she just talked about a shadow and a doll. Not many people would see the real implications of that.

You have to look at it from an in-story perspective.
For all the characters know, Anna is simply showing symptoms of her schizophrenia, and as real as they may appear to her, to everyone else it'll just be something inside her head.
Unless every single schizophrenic person in the Pokéverse is actually some kind of medium seeing true things hidden from others, why should the characters assume that Anna is different?

Or, rather: I'm pretty sure they'll be coming to the realization now that plot is happening and all the pieces fall into place, but at first, why should they believe it?

It's easy to look at it as the player, because whenever Anna says weird stuff, we are expecting it to have a meaning. Because it's a story and she's an important character.
We're aware there will be connections to things that'll happen/things we'll find out. We know it's not a coincidence the character connected to the Key of the Beyond has visions.
To the characters, she's a person with a disorder that is by no means unique to her, and since they don't get to have the "this is a game with a story" perspective, all they have to analyze Anna's statements is hindsight.
And things like glowing people or strings or scars are vague enough. Talking dolls? Sounds just like the type of thing to expect from her.

Basically, from an in-universe perspective (even in the Pokéverse) it's simply much more likely that Anna is just experiencing schizophrenic symptoms.

And considering that she's 12 and Sigmund's "therapy" methods were dubious at best, dealing with such is probably not an easy feat.

Also, y'know. For the plot.

To put it into a bit of perspective (oh man I'm so thrilled I can use this example): How many players d'you think started out the game and upon meeting ZEL immediately went to the conclusion that they have a multiple personality disorder/DID? Probably most. At most you'd expect a backstory on how they developed it. Even in the Pokéverse, where you could reasonably expect stuff like "maybe they're possessed by ghosts", most people's reactions I've seen went the disorder route. Because it's the most likely explanation.
It'd be no different with in-universe people dealing with Anna.

Edited by ZEL

The "Mr.Shadow" is Shade (she also calls him Mr.Shadow when the protagonist is asked to go to Yureyu Abandoned Power Plant to turn the railnet power back on). That actually doesn't surprise me because her relationship points are EXATLY the same as Shade's points. They're connected somehow...

About the relationship between Anna and Radomus, well...there's pretty much anything we can use to connect them both: we really don't know them pretty good...maybe Radomus is the traveling merchant who sold the 4 keys, as he reacts to El and the Emerald Broche.

6 hours ago, HUEnd said:

Feels like Anna is totally underestimated by everyone, but I wouldn't be surprised if she is/was an Elite 4 member or the Psychic type reserve of the Reborn League.

Reveal hidden contents

Also, we'll probably see Anna and Nostra battling/doing something important on E17 (according to the fortune teller woman on Beryl, stating that "The girl with a falling star invokes a wish, feelslikedoomdesireondatdamnnewworldfield)

Speaking of Psychic gym, I just reached Randomus again, and it's basically the same thing with him.

He clearly knows exactly what's going on with Gardevoir (and says so directly), but everyone just jumps on and decides he's being stupid.

1 hour ago, Sirrobert said:

Speaking of Psychic gym, I just reached Randomus again, and it's basically the same thing with him.

He clearly knows exactly what's going on with Gardevoir (and says so directly), but everyone just jumps on and decides he's being stupid.

Well, it's worth noting that the situation we were dealing with was not just "ditto imitating a gardevoir", but "a ditto turned into a talking gardevoir and then told stories about its supposed abusive life with Radomus". That's a pretty impressive feat for a ditto.
Yes, the situation was obviously fishy and we could once more guess something weird was going on (and Cain, too, wasn't sure what to think of the whole thing), but I can see how Adrienn may not have been prepared to see through this trick. Xe knew neither El nor Radomus previously, apparently. So xe had no reason to trust or distrust one more than the other.

El met xem first, and had time to feed xem all the false info and introduce xem to "Gardevoir" talking about "her" terrible experiences with Radomus - whereas Radomus just sort of played along without making an actual attempt to disprove things.

Radomus' actions throughout the scene just reaffirmed the bias Adrienn had towards him - that he is a careless trainer who doesn't care about the wellbeing of his pokemon.

We can guess who is in the wrong, but Adrienn cannot, and Cain does show that he's unsure about things, but decides to trust your judgment. Heck, Adrienn also mentions during the course of the scene that it's gotten confusing for xem.

To us, Radomus' behavior isn't as confusing because we've gotten to know him already and have an idea of what his personality is like. Adrienn hasn't.

8 minutes ago, ZEL said:

To us, Radomus' behavior isn't as confusing because we've gotten to know him already

Even at the very first though, he tells everyone that he knows all is under control.

He could probably do with just saying that though. I suppose it is different when you are sitting comfortably at a screen reading it.

Just now, Sirrobert said:

Even at the very first though, he tells everyone that he knows all is under control.

He could probably do with just saying that though. I suppose it is different when you are sitting comfortably at a screen reading it.

Yeah, you have to imagine yourself in Adrienn's position there.
Adrienn met El, El showed xem "Gardevoir", and basically had time to just manipulate xem all he wanted. Because yes, telling someone lies about a person they've never met is manipulation. El was actively shaping Adrienn's opinion about Radomus before Adrienn ever met the guy.

And then Radomus appears, and all he has to say about the whole situation is that he has it under control.

That's... not very convincing to someone who doesn't know that Radomus happens to be a very intelligent man with a "chessmaster" character theme. Remember, all Adrienn "knows" about him is what El and "Gardevoir" told xem. And Radomus makes no effort to disprove any of the claims effectively or defend himself.
So... why would Adrienn want to believe that Radomus is the person to trust in this situation? Xe has plenty of reasons to believe El, and Radomus presents nothing to challenge this position.

...Xe never met the real Gossip Gardevoir, either. So xe also never witnessed her swooning over Radomus and being so obviously infatuated with him as we know her to be. It's easy for Dittovoir to claim it was all faked.

Just now, ZEL said:

Yeah, you have to imagine yourself in Adrienn's position there.
Adrienn met El, El showed xem "Gardevoir", and basically had time to just manipulate xem all he wanted. Because yes, telling someone lies about a person they've never met is manipulation. El was actively shaping Adrienn's opinion about Radomus before Adrienn ever met the guy.

And then Radomus appears, and all he has to say about the whole situation is that he has it under control.

That's... not very convincing to someone who doesn't know that Radomus happens to be a very intelligent man with a "chessmaster" character theme. Remember, all Adrienn "knows" about him is what El and "Gardevoir" told xem. And Radomus makes no effort to disprove any of the claims effectively or defend himself.
So... why would Adrienn want to believe that Radomus is the person to trust in this situation? Xe has plenty of reasons to believe El, and Radomus presents nothing to challenge this position.

...Xe never met the real Gossip Gardevoir, either. So xe also never witnessed her swooning over Radomus and being so obviously infatuated with him as we know her to be. It's easy for Dittovoir to claim it was all faked.

Adrienn, sure.

It was more Cain who was suffering from Hero complex. He hears someone's pokemon is captured, and instantly rushes off to save it.

Just now, Sirrobert said:

Adrienn, sure.

It was more Cain who was suffering from Hero complex. He hears someone's pokemon is captured, and instantly rushes off to save it.

Mhh, but is it really a leap of logic for Cain to act like that, after everything that already happened in the game up to this point? Cain has always been a character who wants to help where he can.

Think back to what happened at the castle, and then imagine you're there, and not a player knowing it's a game. You may guess something is off about the situation based on Radomus' reaction, but you would still wonder what's up, right? Cain is the type of person who wants to investigate. He wants to know what's going on.

Radomus' reaction implies that he thinks or knows that nothing bad will really happen to Gardevoir, but as it is, Cain still sees a situation in which someone intends to harm her. And hell if he's gonna let some bad person get away. The risk level doesn't matter, what matters is that the situation exists.

At this point he can't possibly anticipate what precisely it'll eventually lead to. Or did you?

4 hours ago, ZEL said:

'Cept he showed him the ransom note that El wrote AFTER Dittovoir stole the pendant off the player.

Could have easily just started with that instead of being an aloof idiot and talking in riddles but nope.

Radomus does it again.

On purpose.

The dick.

Just now, DerogatoryTrainer said:

'Cept he showed him the ransom note that El wrote AFTER Dittovoir stole the pendant off the player.

Could have easily just started with that instead of being an aloof idiot and talking in riddles but nope.

Radomus does it again.

On purpose.

The dick.

For all Adrienn knows, Radomus could've written that note himself. I mean, I guess xe could have demanded the two of them write something for xem to figure out whose writing it's more likely to be. El could've pulled off the "I'm blind, I can't even write that" card anyway.

Just now, ZEL said:

For all Adrienn knows, Radomus could've written that note himself. I mean, I guess xe could have demanded the two of them write something for xem to figure out whose writing it's more likely to be. El could've pulled off the "I'm blind, I can't even write that" card anyway.

To be honest, I'm okay with the fact that Adrienn got duped by E, it's just Radomus needlessly makes himself look more suspicious by going "Oh ho? Is that how he's playing things?" when he could just say "This isn't my Gardevoir. I think it's a fake" and then either asked it a question only the real Gardevoir would know or beat it up. Which would have saved Adrienn from looking like a dumbass, us from getting beaten up by the god-clone.

Just now, DerogatoryTrainer said:

To be honest, I'm okay with the fact that Adrienn got duped by E, it's just Radomus needlessly makes himself look more suspicious by going "Oh ho? Is that how he's playing things?" when he could just say "This isn't my Gardevoir. I think it's a fake" and then either asked it a question only the real Gardevoir would know or beat it up. Which would have saved Adrienn from looking like a dumbass, us from getting beaten up by the god-clone.

Yeah, I'm not gonna oppose that. Still not quite over the fact that we had to go through all this.

"Because Luna asked me to" screw you

12 hours ago, ZEL said:

Mhh, but is it really a leap of logic for Cain to act like that, after everything that already happened in the game up to this point? Cain has always been a character who wants to help where he can.

Think back to what happened at the castle, and then imagine you're there, and not a player knowing it's a game. You may guess something is off about the situation based on Radomus' reaction, but you would still wonder what's up, right? Cain is the type of person who wants to investigate. He wants to know what's going on.

Radomus' reaction implies that he thinks or knows that nothing bad will really happen to Gardevoir, but as it is, Cain still sees a situation in which someone intends to harm her. And hell if he's gonna let some bad person get away. The risk level doesn't matter, what matters is that the situation exists.

At this point he can't possibly anticipate what precisely it'll eventually lead to. Or did you?

It's more a regular problem with silent protagonists. In cases like this, I just want to tell everyone to stop, slow down, and ask for clarification from the guy that clearly knows more than he's telling us.

I did instantly understand the chess reference though. While I could not predict the conclusion, it was obvious that Randomus thought everything was perfectly under control.