Hardest Starter?

lifesapity

Who do you think is the hardest Starter in pokemon reborn?

My first run was with Piplup. It was horrific. First the electric gym then grass soon after , not to mention Pulse tangela, fern and the Half electric ghost gym. Then it seemed to get the steel type just in time for it to be exploited by the fighting leader <.<, he seemed to spend more time in the box then in my party for the first half of the game. Bright side Cain and the Second poison gym leader didn't know what hit them. Still I have no regrets, I still love that cute penguin :)

Edited by lifesapity

I haven't used every single starter, but those I have used are: Delphox, Chesnaught, Swampert and in my current run I have used Emboar. Out of all of those four ... Chesnaught was the hardest.

Now, don't get me wrong: Chesnaught is a good Pokémon with an interesting type-combination of Grass and Fighting ... maybe I was just REALLY unlucky with the EV/IV, but I rarely used him in my playthrough and even went so far as replacing him with a Leafeon because he just wasn't useful on my team. He could barely take a hit from anything and was quite slow. 

But like I said: I haven't used every single starter and his EV/IV's might have been terrible (I can't remember, honestly, because I'm still trying to figure out how EV/IV works, soo ...)

11 minutes ago, lifesapity said:

Who do you think is the hardest Starter in pokemon reborn?

My first run was with Piplup. It was horrific. First the electric gym then grass soon after , not to mention Pulse tangela, fern and the Half electric ghost gym. Then it seemed to get the steel type just in time for it to be exploited by the fighting leader <.<, he seemed to spend more time in the box then in my party for the first half of the game. Bright side Cain and the Second poison gym leader didn't know what hit them. Still I have no regrets, I still love that cute penguin :)

Isn't  it usually Chikorita by default?  I haven't tried more than two of them, but I'm just going by the usual starter consensus.

10 minutes ago, Lilleen said:

But like I said: I haven't used every single starter and his EV/IV's might have been terrible (I can't remember, honestly, because I'm still trying to figure out how EV/IV works, soo ...)

Essentially, IV's determine a Pokemon's full potential. Low IV's mean low potential compared to those with higher IV's

EV's are like bonus stats. Beating certain Pokemon nets you EV's in a specific stat. If you focus on Pokemon that reward you with EV's in a specific stat, it can make a real difference. On the other hand, if you just go defeating Pokemon at random, those bonus stats will spread out randomly and probably won't make much of a difference.

Chikorita is a very useful starter, don't let anyone trick you into the "Chikorita is a terrible starter" bandwagon. It has great defensive capabilities, useful attacks (poisonpowder, leech seed) etc. which can lead to interesting strategies when it comes to certain battles. I've used one in the past and it proved to be very useful when necessary.

1 minute ago, Animefan666 said:

Essentially, IV's determine a Pokemon's full potential. Low IV's mean low potential compared to those with higher IV's

EV's are like bonus stats. Beating certain Pokemon nets you EV's in a specific stat. If you focus on Pokemon that reward you with EV's in a specific stat, it can make a real difference. On the other hand, if you just go defeating Pokemon at random, those bonus stats will spread out randomly and probably won't make much of a difference.

Aha, thank you, dear!

I've only done one run so far with chesnaught (Wouldn't have gotten through the game without leech seed+Spiky shield lol) .Probably one of the fire starters, Likely Emboar or Charizard. Rain is everywhere in reborn, and Emboar's speed and meh spdf kinda holds it back (as well as Blaziken and Inernape just being better imo) and Charizard's defenses would hold it back along with it's typing. I could see delphox not being so great too.

The ones i had the most trouble with were chicorita and treecko

chicorita because it is mostly a defensive pokemon and aside from petal dance it doesn't have stong offensive moves(and because it is my least favourite starter so i don't really try to make it my ace pokemon)

Treecko is not that bad actually bad i had pretty bad iv's and i was focusing it's power on attack instead of special attack

And if the weather is taken into consideration tepig was pretty hard to use as well

On 20.2.2017 at 11:02 PM, AquaLucario3 said:

I've only done one run so far with chesnaught (Wouldn't have gotten through the game without leech seed+Spiky shield lol) .Probably one of the fire starters, Likely Emboar or Charizard. Rain is everywhere in reborn, and Emboar's speed and meh spdf kinda holds it back (as well as Blaziken and Inernape just being better imo) and Charizard's defenses would hold it back along with it's typing. I could see delphox not being so great too.

Charizard most definitely isn't a bad choice for a starter. Almost all major battles are fought indoors anyway, with only Noel and most Rival fights being affected by weather. Charmeleon's Dragon Rage destroys everything early on. (Well, except Cradily)

Charizard only falls into a slump a bit after evolving when it's lack of special moves drags it down. It's still plenty powerful against everything it can just use Flame Burst on.

Heat Wave and Air Cutter then pump up its offensive capabilities a whole lot. During my Flying Run Charizard has quite consistently been the powerhouse of my team with just those two moves and some varying physical TMs - Charizard's Attack stat is still workable and it can use some potentially useful TMs like Shadow Claw and Brick Break.

Can't say anything about Tepig; never used that one.

Treecko/Sceptile suffers from lack of special options pretty much the whole time, but its good physical movepool can help it carry though. To me it's always been very reliable.

I'd agree that the more difficult starter choices are probably the defensive one. They may not neccessarily be bad, but the way they have to be used can make it harder for them to pull their weight in random battles where you don't want to spend much time setting up defenses and disabling the enemies.

Early game treeko is just soooo fragile it dies extremely easily. Especially considering that grass is either offensively or defensively weak vs 6 of the first 8 gyms. (neutral to Julia and Kiki) useless vs Fern and Cain, and also struggles versus the pulse tangrowths/muk/abundance of early game poison types. All of the grass starters got a rough draw in reborn, even late game 2 of the 3 types that grass is strong against happen to be the gyms that aren't in-game yet, and once you're team is lv 80+ you really aren't relying on sceptile to carry the team anymore. The nonstop rain is an annoyance for the fire types but most of the major fights are indoors so its not a huge problem for gyms and such. I did a run with fennekin and he was a champ. Never used chikorita in reborn and chestnaught remains the only starter I've never used in anything so I can't comment on those two but for me its gotta be treeko.

Edited by Galladiator

Well, Fenniken is certainly not a bad starter. It's typing makes it an early game menace. Fire and psychic are good against all rivals typing, all doubled gym leaders typing, a lot of early game gym leaders typing. Even Shade makes the pkmn usefull, with doublades and trevenant secondary typing. Chesnaught was quite usefull to be honest in my hardcore run: hammer arm, curse, leech seed and spiky shield made it a very good pkmn to me. Froakie was the most dissapointing, it was quite frail and didn't get a lot of moves making it very lackluster over time. Late game I'm feeling its getting better but I still have my doubts.

Fennekin is one of the best starters, fire/psychic stabs is amazing coverage and its stats/move list are both great. Rain sucks but that only effects a few fights

Worst starter is probably piplup, it has a terrible level up list, is water so it suffers vs first 2 gyms and fern while getting out shined by panpour nearly everywhere else, and you don't even get tms to fix its movepool. Chikorita at least gets tons of support and can drop petal dance on people

I'm jumping on the piplup bandwagon. As much as I love piplup it has subpar stats and really suffers in the early game of reborn with such a small range of attacks and two gyms that are super effective on it. All water starters have a bit of a problem in the early game but no-one suffers quite as much as piplup because of it. 

Charmander is amazing :D Chikorita is a pain to lvl up but very usefull against boss battles. Piplup is really the worst. Not usefull against early gym leaders and when you get to the fairy/fire gym, you already have better options.  :( 

The worst are probably Chikorita and Squirtle. Chikorita because it lacks good moves, has a poor type and is outclassed by other grass types like Tangela and any other Starters. Squirtle because of pretty lame lvl up movepool and terrible matchups. Chikorita's probably better than squirtle because he can at the very least set up screens for the squad, but other than that, they're both pretty garbage