A relatively quiet area of the forum

Damage

So umm, I'm not the most active in this portion area lately. I'll admit it but the fact that my last topic from December is still on the page of recent posts before this topic means maybe there isn't enough going on. Is it for lack of interest or feedback. I can't say since refer to the first sentence. Maybe and admins feel free to comment. If there's some incentive to comment and create content for this section so people want to contribute here as much as other sections. I think since this site is based on the idea of pushing dreams to their limit the creative writing section should be one of the higher traffic areas. I'm working on film projects so I'm willing to buy interesting properties but I don't know if that's enough to get everyone excited. Thoughts?

Eventually I'll try to work on kickstarting this section a little bit more as I'll try to be involved weekly (as you can probably tell due to my inactivity on the forums that I am pretty occupied right now). The problem is that there's not a lot of feedback and writers to help other writers ie more involvement and most of our expert writers are very tied up right now. If there's something you really want me to look at though, I'll be glad to but likely won't go through the whole thing (there is a project I do want to post to the creative writing forums just so that I can get feedback and hone my rusty writing skills before tackling a big project like in the olden days).

I hate to bring up this system as it turned into a toxic mess in the old writing community I became a part of, but right now you may want to seek out individuals to read and give feedback on your works (which yes and no that does break the advertisement rule, but don't go spamming in the normal chats to go read so-and-so story). The polite thing to do is if a writer reads one of your works is to give some time to read one of theirs and give feedback (sincere feedback and not just fluff to make yourself look good). Though likely for months comments will only be in the single digits for chapters (which does not equal readers) so just bear with it and keep going.

Well while I'm going all over the place with this, I've been in your shoes before and not getting feedback is frustrating and hard on motivation, probably one of the most brutal things someone could experience, but from someone who spent hours upon hours going from cringefest writer to something presentable, you have to see whether or not you are actually enjoying it (well the overall experience as there will be some things that you will hate no matter what but you have to do). If it's not enjoyable, then it's best to take a light break to clear your head then dive back in. The hardest part is starting to make a name for yourself and then that's where people start noticing.

• Upvote 1

We do realise that this subforum is slightly lacking in activity. The decision to change it from creative writing to creative works was partially an attempt to make it more active, but that hasn't changed it too much. I'm obviously not the authority on what could make the section more active, but to be honest we aren't that big on encouraging posting in one forum over another one. Most forum activity is decided based on interests and there just isn't a huge creative community here. However, posting good pieces of creative work and giving detailed feedback will earn people EXP so I guess that that's an incentive of sorts...

Also whenever people post they should feel free to link to it in status updates and the main chat. Just don't spam links to your work (linking it a couple of times with a period of time between them isn't spamming). I will also say there is an idea we're floating around that might be another type of incentive but it isn't something we're discussing with the community yet. 

• Upvote 1

For me personally writing is just a fun thing to do and I like to get better at it. Not getting feedback isn't a deterrent for me anymore. I try to give time to others when I have a moment to sit down and process stories since good feedback builds confidence and said confidence can lead to more stories and work being generated. Seeing you say that it can turn poorly if rewarded did immediately send a signal to me Commander as I can see that turning sour pretty quickly. Just for anyone out there I guess don't be afraid to post everything you want to write about. This is a great forum let's enjoy everything we can in it ya know.