Project Paragon

Tempest

I need to stop getting wild ideas in my head.

So I think we can all agree: Discord is the better chat system than Showdown. It lets you change names on a whim, change avatars, has better notifications, lets you scroll up to see history, and on the whole, is just nicer. It's also far more ubiquitous, and I'm willing to bet at least some of you are in more than just Reborn's discord.

That being said, Showdown has one major positive over Discord: it has battling. It's Pokemon-centric, let's you make teams, see ladders, et cetera. 

So why not try and combine the two? That's what I am going to try and do. I haven't fleshed out all the details yet. Here's the different ideas I've come up with:

- A simple bot. This already exists in some form. All it does is text based, and you tell it what move you want to use by typing it out.

- The bot with a twist, using pictures or GIFs to at least show animation and make it a little more interesting.
- Butchering Showdown and making it hook into Discord. You'd be able to use a bot to challenge someone else, and it would pull open a Window in a web browser to a custom hosted Showdown. This would give the best battling experience, but is probably the most work to do.

- Something else entirely, starting a battle sim built from scratch around Discord. Also a lot of work, but perhaps the most flexible option.

The reason I'm saying this now is I want your thoughts about what I should try and do. Should I try for Showdown-esque thing, or would a bot be enough to satiate needs? How would people want channels with these battles going on to work?

I've found some stuff that does something like this, but nothing that works overwhelmingly well, and they are just a simple bot at the end of the day. If any of you guys know of anything I should look into as well, I'd appreciate it.

In the end, I'd want this to be able to supplant Showdown, and just have Discord be the one-stop-shop. It'd be the paragon of chats for Pokemon. Even if it doesn't get used here, I'd still have places for it.

In terms of choices, I'd say this choice...

6 minutes ago, Tempest said:

- Butchering Showdown and making it hook into Discord. You'd be able to use a bot to challenge someone else, and it would pull open a Window in a web browser to a custom hosted Showdown. This would give the best battling experience, but is probably the most work to do.

is what you should aim for as a minimum. I personally don't think the first or second option are really good choices. If you can do it, I'd be very impressed and would greatly commend you. Good luck in that endeavor, if you do attempt to do so.

scrolling up on discord to history, especially a channel with lots of people in it is... kinda bad tbh. There's usually a whole lot of random crap and tldr to all of it. I've used it when we were planning and setting up for Con Jikan and I didn't like it. Also, the lack of extensive scroll up is a direct solution to issues that come with large traffic and activity. and for me, it didn't notify me when it should have and really just strikes me as just another fad.

skype, trello, discord, showdown, po...

you could get all that quick and easy customization on po. but we moved to showdown for reasons that still strike me as irrational, especially when here you are, asking for those things back. Especially a decision that wasn't even made with all the auth being informed or consulted.

just take a step back and think things over again. If you still wanna do it, do it. Just be aware of the rest.

1 hour ago, Maelstrom said:

scrolling up on discord to history, especially a channel with lots of people in it is... kinda bad tbh. There's usually a whole lot of random crap and tldr to all of it. I've used it when we were planning and setting up for Con Jikan and I didn't like it. Also, the lack of extensive scroll up is a direct solution to issues that come with large traffic and activity. and for me, it didn't notify me when it should have and really just strikes me as just another fad.

skype, trello, discord, showdown, po...

you could get all that quick and easy customization on po. but we moved to showdown for reasons that still strike me as irrational, especially when here you are, asking for those things back. Especially a decision that wasn't even made with all the auth being informed or consulted.

just take a step back and think things over again. If you still wanna do it, do it. Just be aware of the rest.

Yes, but you still have the option to, which is better than Showdown or PO ever had. PO was just as broken and has just as many issues, and I still think Showdown is still a much better option that PO ever was. Skype is also broken, and doesn't work for large communities at all. Discord it the natural sucessor to Skype, and I much prefer Discord's style of always informed than PO or Showdown's style of not being able to look back if you're not there. Stuff doesn't get lost to history.

Nostalgia for PO doesn't mean it was the penultimate thing.