Any Tips For First Gym Leader?

Danzonthebass

I made the unwise decision of grinding a grotle to lvl 22(who doesn't obey orders) and a whismur to lvl 16 that's all I have. I'm having trouble seeing as 'Julia' the leader has 6 pokemons who can paralyze(parahax + disobedient orders=impossible) and voltorbs with arguably overpowered movesets such as sonicboom and explosion. What would you do in my situation and is there anyway  I could make the battle a tad easier? Thanks in advance for any replies!

-

Danz

Edited by Danzonthebass

as it happents, I have a fool proof Julia Sweeper; Mightyena.

now wait before you leave, remember that it evolves at lvl 18 and get's MOXIE and stab Bite, that pretty much wins against Julia and will remain usefull till around shelly

If any of your pokemon are overlevelled you can use Common Candy to reduce its level so definitely stock up on those.

Also, getting that Espurr in Peridot ward could be useful, since Espurr is quite fast.

Edited by Alextron

1 minute ago, Alextron said:

If any of your pokemon are overlevelled you can use Common Candy to reduce its level so definitely stock up on those.

Also, getting that Espurr in Peridot ward could be useful, since Espurr is quite fast.

Common candies are amazing in Reborn, and will become a staple in your Pokemon's diet.

Also make sure you choose the gender of your Espurr wisely. Male is more of a support role, using different screens to protect its allies while female is a special attacker.

>Facing a leader who has 6 Pokemon two of which will almost always take a Pokemon down with them

>Trying to win using only two

Julia is more or less the tutorial boss when it comes to the gym leaders so while I could tell you what to do, you could...I don't know, search for some Pokemon to add to your team to use.

8 minutes ago, Commander said:

>Facing a leader who has 6 Pokemon two of which will almost always take a Pokemon down with them

>Trying to win using only two

Julia is more or less the tutorial boss when it comes to the gym leaders so while I could tell you what to do, you could...I don't know, search for some Pokemon to add to your team to use.

Well my approach to pokemon teams has always been quality over quantity with a final team of 6 not being fully realised till about the 6th-7th gym. looks like i'll have to adapt my usual style for this game.

8 minutes ago, Danzonthebass said:

Well my approach to pokemon teams has always been quality over quantity with a final team of 6 not being fully realised till about the 6th-7th gym. looks like i'll have to adapt my usual style for this game.

And note that many of the pokemon you would find early in any other game (e.x. Starly) are obtainable much later in Reborn, so you will be forced to use pokemon that you may have not used before.

2 hours ago, Danzonthebass said:

That will never work in reborn. Adapt or die haha.. Actually, most people need more than 6 pokemon to work through the game.

14 minutes ago, Aloha said:

That will never work in reborn. Adapt or die haha.. Actually, most people need more than 6 pokemon to work through the game.

Going the shofu route is not advised if anyone wants to keep their sanity.

8 hours ago, Danzonthebass said:

what's the shofu route? o_0

A youtuber named shofu has been (let's) playing the series since episode 7.  He has stubbornly kept going with just 8 (kind of random) Pokemon on his main team despite having to re-challenge most gyms multiple times.  Also, since the introduction of field affects (Episode 13 or 14), he has stubbornly refused to read about them or adapt them into a strategy at all and spent half of videos complaining about it while he retries.

While he has (surprisingly) made it to the end of episode 16, his name is somewhat synonymous with players playing the games like a normal Pokemon game when you don't know what's coming ahead.  It's debatable whether he could make it through the game from start to finish in the current episode (with both field effects implemented throughout the game and gym leader teams being better optimized to stopping you from relying on type advantage alone).

It's probably possible to use a more traditional strategy on subsequent playthroughs.  People mono-run this (with some difficulty at times) so it's possible; apparently someone has even done a nuzlocke up to episode 16, though that's a very isolated case.  Playing normally is just not advised for your first time.

Edited by seki108

Kricketune is a beast in the early game with Technician Fury Cutter, so be sure to train one up. Also, I find that in most of my regular runs I always use Gulpin/Swalot for a good portion of the game. I distinctly remember many of my Pokemon being dead weight in the battle with Julia, and Gulpin wasn't one of them. It can take some hits. You can get it in a dumpster somewhere in Peridot -- I forget the exact location. And if you want another Electric resist, grab the Pachirisu on top of Opal Bridge. If you find Zigzagoon up there instead, you're shit out of luck grab a Cherubi from Seacrest's garden. It's surprisingly useful in the very early game. So yeah, those are pretty good options, and Espurr as well. For future gym battles, you should definitely catch and train a Woobat and give it an Ability Capsule. Simple Swoobat is so busted in Reborn. I 6-0'ed a certain future gym leader with just one Calm Mind boost.

Speaking of monoruns, I did a Water-type run for a while until my Mac became unusable. Frogadier and Goldeen w/ Lightningrod were life-savers in that match. Whenever I sensed an incoming SonicBoom, I would just outspeed with Frogadier's Lick and become immune :P

Edited by WujiKyurem

2 hours ago, WujiKyurem said:

Kricketune is a beast in the early game with Technician Fury Cutter, so be sure to train one up. Also, I find that in most of my regular runs I always use Gulpin/Swalot for a good portion of the game. I distinctly remember many of my Pokemon being dead weight in the battle with Julia, and Gulpin wasn't one of them. It can take some hits. You can get it in a dumpster somewhere in Peridot -- I forget the exact location. And if you want another Electric resist, grab the Pachirisu on top of Opal Bridge. If you find Zigzagoon up there instead, you're shit out of luck grab a Cherubi from Seacrest's garden. It's surprisingly useful in the very early game. So yeah, those are pretty good options, and Espurr as well. For future gym battles, you should definitely catch and train a Woobat and give it an Ability Capsule. Simple Swoobat is so busted in Reborn. I 6-0'ed a certain future gym leader with just one Calm Mind boost.

Speaking of monoruns, I did a Water-type run for a while until my Mac became unusable. Frogadier and Goldeen w/ Lightningrod were life-savers in that match. Whenever I sensed an incoming SonicBoom, I would just outspeed with Frogadier's Lick and become immune :P

Oh right I know shofu just never knew he played through the game. Thanks for explaining