Do People play Board Games Around here?

Tartar

Most people primarily know Board Games as kids games like Monopoly, The Game of Life or Battleship. But today's board games are in truth amazing enteties that are fun, engaging and strategic, because in these past 10 years we've been in a board-game golden age, where board games have grown increasingly better to the point where board-games, at least to me, in many ways rival if not surpass even the best of video-games in many ways. Today we've got story-based board games that play like video-games, real-time board games where people compete in teams to fulfil objectives, puzzle-games that play like real escape room games and many other game-types that are actively invented.

It's a hobby that has seen exponential growth these past years, and is quickly becoming a favourite for many people. And because of my own enthusiasm for the hobby, I was wondering, how many other people on here play Board Games? 

3 minutes ago, Wolfox Glace said:

does Yu-Gi-Oh! count as a board game?

Most people consider card games such as Yu-Gi-Oh!, Magic and the plethora of smaller card games to be board-games.

The definition of board-game is kinda vague in general. A game called Ultimate Werewolf is what's called a social game, where every player gets a single secret role card (Werewolf or Villager), and then with the help of a Moderator, play the game over the course of a number of days, where during the night phase the werewolves (who know one another) secretly decide to kill a villager, while during the day the villagers (who don't know one another) vote for who amongst them is a werewolf to kill them. Despite being a game about talking, and each player only having one card which they see briefly at the beginning of the game, it's considered a board-game.

• Developers

I don't get to play them regularly but sometimes I organise a meeting with friends where we play a few good board games. We mostly enjoy very complex games with minimum (or none) random things like cards/dices. From the top of my head Imperial 2030 and Terra Mystica are good examples. Can recommend more if needed.

Back when I still lived with my family and my sister still had more free time for this kind of thing, she often invited me and my then-boyfriend to play board games with her and her husband (then boyfriend) every other week. We'd usually play Risk, but also a lot of Settlers of Catan or Monopoly.

Similarly, when me and said ex boyfriend hung out with his friends, playing board games/card games was also a popular activity.

I remember our school had a number of different games and a few card decks you could borrow, so it wasn't unusual for us to do that during lunch breaks. I played a lot of Thirty-One with my friends, though we also had this huge Carcassonne phase. And Cluedo, sometimes.

And last but not least, I still end up playing board games with my mom a lot when we can convince at least one more person to join in (usually my nephew these days). Usually Mensch ärgere Dich nicht, because that's easy enough for my nephew to understand. But he's also got this cute game called Chicken Cha Cha Cha.

I have never once won a game of Monopoly against that ex :c

1 hour ago, baldr said:

I don't get to play them regularly but sometimes I organise a meeting with friends where we play a few good board games. We mostly enjoy very complex games with minimum (or none) random things like cards/dices. From the top of my head Imperial 2030 and Terra Mystica are good examples. Can recommend more if needed.

Ahh yes, Terra Mystica should be among the best Board-Games ever made, though I personally haven't tried it, though the concept seems incredibly appealing to me. 

Like Baldr stated, many modern board games completely remove the random element such as the use of dice that has been used in earlier times, and replaced them with systems that are entirely skill based with zero random elements, which is what makes many modern board games so appealing. 

I would love to hear what else you've played, as you seem quite to have played many designer board games. 

34 minutes ago, Arkhi said:

I used to play Risk, Stratego, and Chess a lot as a kid. I've since stopped, since school has taken priority.

Yeah, Chess is a timeless classic. And Risk and Stratego are quite fun, albeit eclipsed by many modern wargames like A Game of Thrones: The Board Game and Kemet which are primarily more skill based, but also more thematic with asymmetrical factions that play differently.  

Though to me, whenever a board game meetup come up, I always cancel all other plans for that day, as I simply love the hobby so much. 

14 minutes ago, ZEL said:

Back when I still lived with my family and my sister still had more free time for this kind of thing, she often invited me and my then-boyfriend to play board games with her and her husband (then boyfriend) every other week. We'd usually play Risk, but also a lot of Settlers of Catan or Monopoly.

Similarly, when me and said ex boyfriend hung out with his friends, playing board games/card games was also a popular activity.

I remember our school had a number of different games and a few card decks you could borrow, so it wasn't unusual for us to do that during lunch breaks. I played a lot of Thirty-One with my friends, though we also had this huge Carcassonne phase. And Cluedo, sometimes.

And last but not least, I still end up playing board games with my mom a lot when we can convince at least one more person to join in (usually my nephew these days). Usually Mensch ärgere Dich nicht, because that's easy enough for my nephew to understand. But he's also got this cute game called Chicken Cha Cha Cha.

I have never once won a game of Monopoly against that ex :c

Board games are quite a big hit with my family too, though we primarily play either Quiz games, or a new board game from last year called Codenames which has quickly become a modern classic the world over. 

10 minutes ago, Ojama Brown said:

stratego and chess used to REALLY be my stuff, but I havent played either in more than a year, rip

It's kind of amazing how many have played chess at some point or another. I didn't realize it was that popular. 

Edited by Tartar

Yes, I do play board games.
Chess, Monopoly, Checkers, trouble, snakes & ladders and the classic Cluedo.

I think the definition of a board game is a game that primary requires a board to play.
Because you have table top games which require a table to play.
Then there are Card games which well, use cards to play.

I knew my knowledge from working in a Game & Hobbies shop would come in handy.

• 1 month later...
  • Developers
On 12. 2. 2017 at 10:26 PM, Tartar said:

Ahh yes, Terra Mystica should be among the best Board-Games ever made, though I personally haven't tried it, though the concept seems incredibly appealing to me. 

Like Baldr stated, many modern board games completely remove the random element such as the use of dice that has been used in earlier times, and replaced them with systems that are entirely skill based with zero random elements, which is what makes many modern board games so appealing. 

I would love to hear what else you've played, as you seem quite to have played many designer board games.

Sorry for the delay. I kind of forgot about this topic. Here are some other games with minimal random elements that I really liked:

• Tzolk'in: The Mayan Calendar - Very interesting gameboard with six connected rotating wheels. It is surprisingly well balanced dispite the fact that there are many completely different strategies to play.
  • The Voyages of Marco Polo - I remember the rules very vaguely but it was very good. There are dices rolled all the time which can play their role but their ultimate impact is far less than expected.
  • Mombasa - Great game with only one random element without much impact. Again many different strategies to play and it also has some variants which you can combine to make it slightly different every time.
  • Viticulture - Awesome wine game although it is considered to be good only with the expansion (which replaces the main gameboard with a completely different one with many new elements and rules). Personally I never played it without the expansion though. However with the expansion it's one of the best games I ever played. There are some random cards - the key is to make the ones you get meaningful at the right time. Skill and mistakes have much greater impact that the cards themselves honestly.
  • Imperial 2030 - I already mentioned this but I have to emphasize that this game has no random elements whatsoever. Also the full game information is visible to all players at any given time meaning that it is entirely predictable. In theory. In practice most of my predictions completely fail despite the fact that my winning rate in this game isn't half bad.
  • Amun-Re - Much older than the other games I'm recommending here but a very decent game regardless. The random cards can admitedly decide the game though so I recommend to change the rules a bit and always draw two cards and choose one instead of simply drawing a random card.

@baldr You seem to have played many more games than I. I only get to play around 1 board game a month, and typically it's relegated to the 20 ones I own, so I rarely try games outside of my comfort zone. Because of this I've never actually had the option to play very many Euro Games like the ones you mentioned. Catan, Five Tribes, 7 Wonders Duel and Race For The Galaxy being the only ones I've played. 

So far my favorite board games I've played are:

- Eldritch Horror (I've played this one at least 20 times) and will continue to play it for many years to come. 

- Mage Knight: A perfect information adventure game incorporating deck building elements. Probably the most well-designed board game I've played.

- Twilight Struggle: A wargame for two players, with deep mechanics and a satisfying gameplay. 

Among other games I've liked are "Traitor games" like Avalon, Ultimate Werewolf, Battlestar Galactica and Dead of Winter which is a genre I'm quite fond of. 

Who do you primarily play with, Baldr?

• Developers
2 hours ago, Tartar said:

@baldr You seem to have played many more games than I. I only get to play around 1 board game a month, and typically it's relegated to the 20 ones I own, so I rarely try games outside of my comfort zone. Because of this I've never actually had the option to play very many Euro Games like the ones you mentioned. Catan, Five Tribes, 7 Wonders Duel and Race For The Galaxy being the only ones I've played. 

So far my favorite board games I've played are:

- Eldritch Horror (I've played this one at least 20 times) and will continue to play it for many years to come. 

- Mage Knight: A perfect information adventure game incorporating deck building elements. Probably the most well-designed board game I've played.

- Twilight Struggle: A wargame for two players, with deep mechanics and a satisfying gameplay. 

Among other games I've liked are "Traitor games" like Avalon, Ultimate Werewolf, Battlestar Galactica and Dead of Winter which is a genre I'm quite fond of. 

Who do you primarily play with, Baldr?

Not that many actually. I played many games several years back but I don't get to play them as often now. Most of the games I play now are recommendations of what are considered very good games by other people so there is a very good chance I'll like them as well. Most of the games I tried recently are actually in my list above.

I don't know any of the games you mentioned save Galactica, but I'll look them up - they certainly sound promising! Perhaps someone I know might have one of them and lend it to me. I think I saw Eldritch Horror somewhere once, but sadly I can't quite remember where.

Primarily I play with a group of friends I know since basic school. Sadly we don't meet as often anymore or not always to play games. However I have a different group of players to hang out with more often but they don't like board games so we usually play RPGs like Dungeons & Dragons. I enjoy it too so I don't actually miss boardgames too much. There is also a boardgames club in the city I live which I visit occasionally.

Who are your play-mates? Have you ever played D&D or similar game?

@baldr I used to play Warhammer Fantasy with a group of 10 people over the course of 3 years on the same campaign 10 years ago, but haven't touched anything pen-and-paper related since then. There's this huge role-playing convention near where I live that lasts 5 days once a year where people come to roleplay that I've been meaning to go to for years now, but due to clashing with the time of my exams I've never been able to...

And I either play with a friend of mine, or I'm part of a larger board game group. Though it rotates members quite often, so while 6-7 core members are there at every meetup, another 10 or so vary from time to time. So I don't really have a "stable" board game group. 

The board games I have played thus far are Scrabble, Chess, Monopoly, and Game of Life. The game I play the most among these is Scrabble although I only play this for competitions and practices as not many people I know know how to play this game well. I play Chess sometimes with my peers, but this only happens when I'm at school. Monopoly and Game of Life are board games I used to play before, but I haven't had many games since then.

I've also played Snakes and Ladders, Ludo, and Checkers when I was younger.

I used to play:

Monopoly - I haven't been able to talk my brother into another game in a long time (he got tired of losing)

Risk - The last game I played lasted about six hours.

Clue - Never could get many people interested enough to get through the whole game.

Connect Four - Nuff said.

Checkers

Chess

Mouse Trap

Candy Land

Othello - I don't think I've ever won a game.

These days the only one I play is Cards Against Humanity.

On 4/12/2017 at 7:43 AM, Animefan666 said:

I played a 6 hour game of The Game of Thrones Board Game a year ago (imagine a complex version of Risk with Unique Factions and simultaneous turns). It was a really fun Wargame, and one I can highly recommend you try if you get the option to. 

maxresdefault.jpgmaxresdefault.jpg 

Edited by Tartar

I don't play on a daily basis, but I do play when I stay at my sisters house. Tend to play Monopoly with the family, which we are so good at that it could be days before we reach a conclusion lol

Other than that, I play card games like UNO, Phase 10, and Hit the Deck (card version of spoons).

Edited by ProjectIceman

On 4/11/2017 at 11:43 PM, Animefan666 said:

I used to play:

Monopoly - I haven't been able to talk my brother into another game in a long time (he got tired of losing)

Clue - Never could get many people interested enough to get through the whole game.

Connect Four - Nuff said.

Checkers

Chess

Mouse Trap

Candy Land

Othello - I don't think I've ever won a game.

These days the only one I play is Cards Against Humanity.

Just so you know... those are all casual games, as far as board or table top gaming goes. CaH is the king of those games.

That's like playing tetris or candy crush compared to playing a tactics or persona game.

I've played all of those except Othello.

Just saying, there are far more involved games than those.

Some card games I've been enjoying recently include Cards Against Humanity & Exploding Kittens, my favorite board games of all time though HAVE to be Stratego & Settlers of Catan :-)