biskit

Monotype  

25 members have voted

1. 1. What type should I pick?

• Ghost
    • Steel
    • Ground
    • Ice

So I'll be starting up a monotype runthrough and was wondering what type to play. Currently deciding between steel, ghost, ice, and ground (though this is the least likely of all).

I wanted to get some opinions since I plan on posting the playthrough here. I'll import starting mons for ghost and ice if selected. I've made a strawpoll so feel free to vote/leave your suggestions.

http://www.strawpoll.me/12318435

I'll let it run for a bit and then check back on the results. Not going to guarantee that the results will be the type I pick, but there's a good chance it will be so.

Edited by biskit

From what I know, ice is the hardest, especially if you limit yourself to use only the pokemon available (of course only after 1st gym) (if thats the case make sure you get a female vanilite)
Fighting types and fire types = RIP 
I voted on this one because it is the run I was planning to do (I am still deciding between ground, steel, psychic, bug, poison and fighting, and ice is one of my favorites)

Ghost is also an interesting option, (I will wait for this one when the next gen is released) sadly the ghost are only available later...

9 hours ago, Anti_Hero said:

From what I know, ice is the hardest, especially if you limit yourself to use only the pokemon available (of course only after 1st gym) (if thats the case make sure you get a female vanilite)
Fighting types and fire types = RIP 
I voted on this one because it is the run I was planning to do (I am still deciding between ground, steel, psychic, bug, poison and fighting, and ice is one of my favorites)

Ghost is also an interesting option, (I will wait for this one when the next gen is released) sadly the ghost are only available later...

Out of the four named here, I am actually willing to say that Ground might be harder.

Fire-types are not as big a problem as you claim because there are quite a few Water/Ice mons, plus Mamoswine absolutely demolishes Fire-types not named Talonflame. Fighting-types...well, Kiki is going to be one of, if not THE biggest hurdle to overcome, but after that, it's not going to be too much of a problem. Samson in particular I was able to one-shot on my Ice Mono.

Ground, meanwhile, has to deal with the ever-prevalent Water, Grass and Ice-types and moves, which overall are going to be more problematic then Ice's weaknesses.

Then again, my favorite type is Ice and I already done an Ice Mono, so my opinions might be a bit biased, but after Radomus, I did not have much trouble with any of the battles. And I only started with a Swinub for a starter, so I had quite a painful early-game. Seriously, once you're past Aya, things will become much smoother.

4 minutes ago, Anstane said:

Out of the four named here, I am actually willing to say that Ground might be harder.

Fire-types are not as big a problem as you claim because there are quite a few Water/Ice mons, plus Mamoswine absolutely demolishes Fire-types not named Talonflame. Fighting-types...well, Kiki is going to be one of, if not THE biggest hurdle to overcome, but after that, it's not going to be too much of a problem. Samson in particular I was able to one-shot on my Ice Mono.

Ground, meanwhile, has to deal with the ever-prevalent Water, Grass and Ice-types and moves, which overall are going to be more problematic then Ice's weaknesses.

Then again, my favorite type is Ice and I already done an Ice Mono, so my opinions might be a bit biased, but after Radomus, I did not have much trouble with any of the battles. And I only started with a Swinub for a starter, so I had quite a painful early-game. Seriously, once you're past Aya, things will become much smoother.

I never did any mono (I am planning one) but from what i read, after a wile ground and steel are hard in the beginning but easy late game 
But again this is something that i read somewhere in this forum

8 hours ago, Anstane said:

I've done a ground mono and I can say that it is overall very easy. I only had trouble with a few Fern battles near the start of the game and Serra's gym, but only because I didn't break her field (I didn't want to lose relationship points with her). The rest isn't hard at all, never took me more than 2 battles to beat everything else.

It looks like steel is the winner here although it was a close race.

Now one last question: should I go for a text based playthrough kinda like here:

or should I do some recorded LP with commentary?

I'm excited either way.